• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media King K. Rool Tech: Crown Squatting!

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
tumblr_mddxtabRi41rkey39o1_r2_400.gif

Discovering Crown Bouncing was just the beginning! Finally, we have skipped the Crown Pickup Animation!

This tech has been theorized for a little while, but nobody quite knew how or what it could do. I found this on accident during a game on Quickplay, and after extensive labbing we've found out what the tech is, how to use it and how to abuse it! Phantom Phoenix from Dark Sparxx Gaming has made a video on this and Crown Bouncing, which you can find here before we get into the nitty gritty.

But how do you execute it? Simple! Jumpsquat, the namesake for this, cancels it all on its own. While it's a 3 frame window if we consider this, the crown coming back actually makes it quite easy. There are two types: Non-Frame Perfect and Frame Perfect Crown Squats. They are fundamentally the same, but the animations are slightly different. On the first frame of a jump, you simply jump with no crown animations at all. On Frames 2 and 3, you see a green flash as if you had it returned with a Crown Cancel.

Here are the frames before and during the time a Frame Perfect Crown Squat is performed (the red is during rage):

You can see this in action here. It's a little quick, but very noticeable.

Here are Crown Squats performed on Frames 2 and 3.

Footage of Frame 2 can be found here.

So, how is this different from just jumping out of pickup or something? Well, the Pickup Animation is 17 Frames, which has actually caused some combos with Crownerang to be out of reach. For example, at higher %s, some opponents are just out of reach from Back Aerials and the like. With this however, it makes many of these unsatisfying things into kill confirms. For a meta example, here's Crown Squat making Neutral Aerial true at higher %s. You can also see Frame 3 being cancelled in the same video.

Every single aerial option is available here. Yes, this means you can use Crownerang twice for extensive stage coverage. It also means you can wavedash, Manual Short Hop, use the Short Hop Macro, anything. The possibilities are practically endless, and the tech is of very reasonable practicality and requires minimal techskill despite how it seems at first. Manual Short Hop Forward Aerial can set up for a techchase with a second Crownerang, which in my experience is exceptionally powerful.

Game changer? Probably not, as the crown is still slow and this is best used in advantage. Is it drastic and powerful? Very.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You can also roll through your crown to pick it up with no "crown pickup" animation to interrupt you. Granted, rolling is punishable on itself... but if you have to roll anyway, you can save some time by rolling through your crown.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
You can also roll through your crown to pick it up with no "crown pickup" animation to interrupt you. Granted, rolling is punishable on itself... but if you have to roll anyway, you can save some time by rolling through your crown.
Rolling is extremely punishable and is slower than the crown pickup. This gives you no lag at all and allows for an instant 2nd crown or aerial usage to combo.

You're heavily underestimating this.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how revolutionary this is, but it is a very solid option to cover crown pick up. The three frame window makes it a bit intimidating to do consistently, and I feel like there are better options (such as Nair or shield), but I can see this having SOME use.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I'm not sure how revolutionary this is, but it is a very solid option to cover crown pick up. The three frame window makes it a bit intimidating to do consistently, and I feel like there are better options (such as Nair or shield), but I can see this having SOME use.
This enables a whole kill confirm and optimizes almost every crown combo we have to my knowledge. Speaking as someone who's labbed it quite a bit.

Cancelling with NAir and Shield puts you into a steep disadvantage state and leaves you extremely open to attacks. This lets you stay on the offensive and continue combos, which those two options rarely - if ever - do.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Is jumpsquatting the same as just jumping, or is there something I have to do in order to jump squat? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to competitive smash slang, and I would greatly appreciate someone explaining jumpsquatting to me like I'm five.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Is jumpsquatting the same as just jumping, or is there something I have to do in order to jump squat? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to competitive smash slang, and I would greatly appreciate someone explaining jumpsquatting to me like I'm five.
Jumpsquatting is the animation a character goes through after the jump button is pressed before actually jumping from the ground — in other words, the startup lag for a jump. In previous games, the length of a jumpsquat varied between characters, but in Ultimate, it's 3 frames for everybody. The traditional way to short hop is to release the jump button while your character is still in the jumpsquat animations, but Ultimate has introduced some shortcuts for those of us who can't take our fingers off of the buttons that freaking fast.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Jumpsquatting is the animation a character goes through after the jump button is pressed before actually jumping from the ground — in other words, the startup lag for a jump. In previous games, the length of a jumpsquat varied between characters, but in Ultimate, it's 3 frames for everybody. The traditional way to short hop is to release the jump button while your character is still in the jumpsquat animations, but Ultimate has introduced some shortcuts for those of us who can't take our fingers off of the buttons that freaking fast.
Ah, that's right. I thought I'd heard of jumpsquats before. Yeah, I knew about that, I had just forgotten. Thank you friend, much appreciated.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So K. ROOL was nerfed in 3 different ways.... what in the ****.... I get destroyed or can't touch damn near half the roster if theirs a good player behind them with Rool...so not really sure what to think. Balance team bad or is it all for good reason...?

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So K. ROOL was nerfed in 3 different ways.... what in the ****.... I get destroyed or can't touch damn near half the roster if theirs a good player behind them with Rool...so not really sure what to think. Balance team bad or is it all for good reason...?
His nerfs barely affected the character. If you're doing that badly with him currently, I might suggest it's a placebo effect. The only big one was a nerf to his bury during down throw. It remains to be seen whether dthrow to utilt is still true. Anyway, this is a thread about a newly discovered tech. You probably want to post discussions about the nerf in the social or a topic discussing K. Rool's competitive viability, or start a new thread. This isn't the place to discuss K. Rool's nerfs.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
This thread is only about newly discovered tech? LoLs. Anything about K. Rool can be discussed here unless anyone else want's to be a nitpicker. The nerf hit just feels undeserved. I play online non-stop and never go up against a K. Rool I can't stomp with a lighter character. I am however curious if the nerfs affect any of this "tech" he has going for him. I just play the character casually at the moment, so I'm not too familiar with all the pro mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
This thread is only about newly discovered tech? LoLs. Anything about K. Rool can be discussed here unless anyone else want's to be a nitpicker. The nerf hit just feels undeserved. I play online non-stop and never go up against a K. Rool I can't stomp with a lighter character. I am however curious if the nerfs affect any of this "tech" he has going for him. I just play the character casually at the moment, so I'm not too familiar with all the pro mumbo jumbo.
I mean, I guess in the sense that I'm not an arbiter of what gets posted here, and if the thread's creator isn't plussed about the thread going off topic, but the thread was opened to discuss crownsquatting. Not trying to jump on you, sorry if I kind of sounded know-it-all-esque, but I was just trying to note there might be better places to discuss the nerfs.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Its all good man. Tbh this was the first thread that kaught my blood-shot eye, so I immediately posted my nerf thoughts here.. xD From what I am hearing though. The nerfs shouldn't affect any of K. Rools "tech" or play style at all, so that is good news. Phew.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I went to a weekly last night that used version 2.0.0, the neutral B and up B nerfs aren't too noticable. But the down throw nerf is pretty bad, people can mash out way easier at lower percents now. Up tilt and forward air are still good follow ups at higher percents, but I had a harder time following up down throw with forward smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom