• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King K. Rool New Official Support Thread *(Now recruiting people for Kremling Power)

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
I think he would be a bit faster and weaker, but he has his musket (cannonballs!) and crown-throwing to make up for that.

And wow, that video is just ... wow ... he doesn't even have a tail!! o_0

CM august

Smash Cadet
That's pretty neat. In fact it's the first piece of Japanese fanart I've seen of him. Looks like a hybrid of his original design and his new one.

Can anybody translate what the description says? And I don't mean running it through Babelfish.

Edit: Actually I just went and used it anyway. The description appears to be very accurate. Excellent.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty neat. In fact it's the first piece of Japanese fanart I've seen of him. Looks like a hybrid of his original design and his new one.

Can anybody translate what the description says? And I don't mean running it through Babelfish.

Edit: Actually I just went and used it anyway. The description appears to be very accurate. Excellent.
Yeah it basically says that he is a basic villain in the DK games who shows up numerous times and that one of his skills would be Crown Throw.

CM august

Smash Cadet
It also touches apon his actual character, such as being ruler of the Kremling army corps (heh!), and hating the very sight of the Kong family. He's described as unforgiving, utterly merciless, but somewhat foolish. Cool, that's pretty much right on the mark.

Oddly, the description then mentions that it's not certain whether Kaptain K. Rool or Baron K. Roolenstein are related to him. Perhaps it wasn't made clear in the Japanese manuals.

Other than that, it also points out that despite him being pretty huge, character size is irrelevant in Smash Bros. and thus gives him a good chance.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
K. Rool's stage idea from Machspeed...​
GANGPLANK GALLEON

So this is K. Rool's ship, AKA Gangplank Galleon, the final boss stage from Donkey Kong Country 1

A closer look at the stage (Sorry, could not find any bigger pictures of the ship itself, seeing as the game was a side scroller)

So virtually every character in Smash gets a stage tailored to their background, and Donkey Kong's series usually has one-two. In this game, if there could be two or possibly three, I'd like one to be Gangplank Galleon. It is very representative of who K. Rool is, and this game virtually was Diddy's premiere game. The stage also symbolizes Donkey Kong's height in games, the awesome platformers Rare used to make, and not him reduced to hitting Bongo's. It is preferred by many gamers as their favorite variation of K. Rool's persona's. Ideally, this would be a flat stage, besides a platform which takes you to different places like his air-ship.

Similar to Delfino, a platform would come and take you off the ship occasionally to different spots of the ship itself. I thought of this feature, because every DKC game was one of side-scrolling and I think that should be represented in some way. The platform would also drop you off mid-ocean to allow for swimming battles, and even to the "Kremling Kore" where the final battle of DKC 2 takes place. Hazards would include occasional Kremlings bouncing through the stage, and spiked cannonball barrages being shot from other ships.​

Gangplank Galleon fight (DKC 1) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZabXiXPUvnk
"Flying Kremling & Kremling Kore" fight (DKC 2) -
1st half - http://youtube.com/watch?v=iTqLRe-WRL8&feature=related
2nd half - http://youtube.com/watch?v=qp1bzKeAk0o&feature=related

Thoughts? Ideas?

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
i would love K.Rool in brawl whit a mix of move set of his personas an his name should be Smash K.Rool that would be awesome

and his boss battle were fun an hard(i havent beat DKC2,DKC3 and the bongo serieso i dont no of those) and it took like 5 kongs too take down K.Rool in DK64

i knew that, which is why i dont think he wont be in the game. whats your point?
Diddy wasent created in japan , Waluigi which is an AT wasent created in japan

besides C.Falcon,Snake,Link and Zelda dont look like a japanese created them but they are so stfu pls

Luigi player

Smash Master
Nice stage idea Machspeed! I really like the platform idea that takes you to different spots. One of the problems I had with a stage was that I wasn't sure which one it should be, but this would cover them all...

Machete

Smash Ace
Well, that stage seems funny. Although when I though in that stage, I though in the DKC1 battle. It'd be simply the galleon itself. Its stage hazard would be the cannonballs (like in DKC1 battle) falling from the sky.

But, as long as Gangplank Galleon's music gets in, I wouldn't mind about the stage itself. :chuckle:

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Nice thread going on here. I could do little more than skim through all these messages, unfortunately... Nobody should have to drag their way through seventy+ pages of messages in such a short sitting. However, I have noticed several interesting and fun posts on my way through. Especially the suggestion of the horrible cartoon voice actors as the voices for Brawl characters... That would make me cry in a combination of laughter and utter despair.

Anyway, I am sure I missed more than a couple of move lists on my way through here, although the main article only listed two, one of which didn't even work for me, buuut... anyway, here is my own idea for a move list, considering I am a pretty big fan of K. Rool being added. Since I've never really been too creative with the A move list as of yet and since I don't want to pass out in the process of writing this, I'll stick to the special moves (sans super creative names for the moves) and any other tidbits I feel like adding:

Neutral Special: A shot from his Kaptain K. Rool style musket, as many mentioned... My first inclination is to have him shoot a cannonball which has a distance dependent on how long he charges up the shot, risking an explosion if charged too long, but Diddy already has that ish... I was also fond of the ability to control which direction he shoots it mentioned in the original post in the thread. One thought I had was that the cannonballs could be picked up as items with a limit of three left on the ground at a time and be thrown as a heavy object. In addition to that, I was also thinking about how certain shots could be the spiked cannonball from the final battle in DKC2, one that you couldn't pick up, and other shots could be a barrel that would roll down slanted ramps, these other two shots appearing at random.

Side Special: Again, sticking to the original suggestion of a crown boomerang, the first attack he ever performed. However, I was thinking for the sake of alleviating problems arising from similarities to any other boomerang-like moves of any other characters (which Link really isn't entirely a part of anymore because of the new ability of his Gale Boomerang), picture the crown getting stuck on top of a character's head, thereby reversing their directional controls! A mad cheap move, but kind of interesting if you ask me. The catch is that the crown falls off after a short while and has to be physically be picked up by K. Rool or get destroyed by falling off the stage before it reappeared on his head and could be used again.

Up Special: To keep him from being too similar to DeDeDe's Up Special mechanics with a high vertical and low horizontal as suggested in the original post, I suggest this: the propeller backpack from DCK3 and Dr. K. Roolenstein's. A light rise upward at a slow pace with a reasonable horizontal gain before being forced to put the pack away. If you get into the vicinity of the propeller, you'll get reasonably damaged... its a freaking propeller, silly guys. BUT, the downside as an attack is that the propeller is behind and above his head; all other sides will be vulnerable.

Down Special: A shout-out to his incarnation as King Krusha K. Rool in DK64, The ol' King will wield a boxing glove on one hand for this attack. He will punch straight down at a slight arc... picture uppercutting the earth. D: Anyway, if he hits the ground, some rocks or dust or shockwave will burst up around him and alleviate stress from surrounding combatants. If he lands it on a player themselves, traps them in the ground or even shoots them down through passable floors. Super-fun purpose? Edgeguard. :D Smack into a pit of oblivion!

Possible level idea: K. Rool has several ships (a pirate ship, an airship, and a more mechanical battleship than the pirate ship to name a few) that I thought might reflect his style, but then again I don't think they'd be a bit too specific... Instead, maybe he'd be better suited to be represented by a Kremling themed stage of linked mine carts barreling down track a la Big Blue, and warning signs will tell you when its time to jump up or down to the next track. Perhaps the background could even sport the aforementioned ships of our fine King K. In reality, I believe the Galleon themed stages that were suggested would be much more suitable, but there are probably more popular ship related levels possible for Brawl... For example: Wind Waker ships. D:

As for music that fits him, the only one that stands out in my mind as memorable when thinking about his actual boss music is the final boss music from the first one... not the sea shanty part in the beginning, but more towards the middle where it becomes a variation on the opening theme of the game. Other than that, kind of a toss-up for worthy tunes.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Ok I came back to this thread to ask if I could join the Kremling Power, but... I just couldn't post without saying anything about the colossal post above this. Seriously dude, that's one hell of a first post, nice going! I like that moveset, especially the up b (I suggested the same thing on some earlier page, but I'm not mad or anything, I wouldn't have looked through all the pages either :p)

Anyway, like I said earlier, I'd like to join the Kremling Power. How do I do so?
K. Rool is my most wanted character. I grew up with the DKC games and if he is a character I will be completely satisfied with this game.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, what can I say? I'd be insulted if no other self respecting K. Rool fan thought of that one too, let alone posted about it. :D And thanks! Posts are all about size... but hopefully there's also plenty to back it up too... Ohh, my poor mismanaged innuendoes. They've returned as flesh-eating zombies! D: Shoot them suckers down!

Bottles98

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see K. Rool in. I had thought up a moveset similar to JoJoRukus's, only with his "jump and slam" attack from DKC as the down B, similar to the Bowser Bomb.

By the way, the first post is incorrect. K. Rool originated in England, not America. ;)

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Wario got it, so why not K.Rool?

When we see him in brawl, we will see him as King K.Rool, but as Wario got, so will K.Rool - he will have Kaptain K.Rool and/or Baron K.Roolenstein and/or Krusha K.Rool as true alternate costumes, and will utilize moves from all four personas instead of some peoples' crazy ideas of movesets that change with outfits.

It just makes more sense that way.

P.S. BUMP!

Machspeed

Smash Lord
King K. Rool - A Moveset by Machspeed

Entrance: K. Rool wheels in a banana horde on a cart, his eyes grow wide at seeing other enemies, he tosses the cart off stage, and fixates his crown on his head.

A: A light slap from the king.
A, A: A light slap, and then a backhand from the king.
A, A, A: A light slap, followed by a backhand, followed by a gut-bump (he hits you with his stomach).

NEUTRAL + B - Crown Toss: Similar to the move he used in DKC, he removes the crown from his head and tosses it. It is slightly aim-able, and flies quite fast; the crown returns if it hits and does 9-10% damage, but if it doesn't he will stand looking around for about a half of a second, until he pulls another from under his cape.

UP + B - Helicopter: Similar to the move he used in DKC3, he pulls out his helicopter from his Baron K. Roolenstein persona. This would mainly act as a horizontal recovery move, and would do minor damage if the propellers touched you (1-2% in small increments depending on how many times you got hit) or 5-7% if his body hit you, with moderate knockback.

SMASH + B - Blunderbuss Shot: Similar to the move he used in DKC2, he pulls out his mighty musket from his cape. It has quite a bit of startup lag, but is one of his more powerful, fast moves. The musket shot soars through the air, and flies directly horizontally. On occasion, the musket shot will become spiked (about as much as a waddle-doo appears), or he will fire a cannon ball imbued with a curse which immobilizes your opponent (about as much as a gordo appears). A typical cannonball shot does 12-13%, spiked cannonballs do 15%, and cursed do 15% with the effect as stated above.

DOWN + B - Kremling Krush: Similar to the move he used in DK64, he closes his eyes and jumps a short distance upward before falling fast (like the Bowser Bomb move). When he does this, a small shockwave radiates from the spot he lands in. As you do it, the shockwave grows (to an extent, doesn't go as far lengthwise as Kirby is) and the damage magnifies. The first shockwave you do from sitting down does 3% damage, the second 6%, the third 9%, the fourth 12%, and the fifth 15% where it locks off in damage. If you land a fifth hop's strength in the advances, the knockback is considerably high.

Smash Up: K. Rool jumps up with his eyes closed, stabbing the opponent with his crown.
Smash Forward/Back: K. Rool delivers a mighty haymaker with a boxing glove on.
Smash Down: K. Rool abruptly jumps up and lunges downward in a sitting pose, creating a hitbox on either side of him for a short distance.

Forward Aerial: K. Rool takes his crown off, and hits you with it within melee range.
Back Aerial: K. Rool whips his cape backwards, making for a quick hit.
Up Aerial: K. Rool extents his arms upwards, but not very high.
Down Aerial: K. Rool puffs out his stomach, and plunges downward (can be used as a meteor smash).

Forward Grab:
K. Rool quickly grabs you, then punches out forward with his boxing glove using all his might.
Back Grab: K. Rool shoves you behind him on the floor, then hits you with the butt of the musket.
Up Grab: K. Rool throws you a short distance above him, before lunging after you with the helicopter.
Down Grab: K. Rool puts you beneath him, then punishes you with the crown.

Taunts:
-K. Rool takes off his crown, and polishes it.
-K. Rool stands still in his signature pose in the picture shown at the top of this post, and a cardboard cutout falls towards the screen, similar to in DK64.
-K. Rool crosses his arms, similar to how he did in King of Swing, and laughs maniacally.

Final Smash - Blast-o-Matic: K. Rool jumps off the stage suddenly, and flies up next to the stage operating a giant laser cannon, filled with Kremlings on top accompanying him. He laughs and it fires full blast horizontally, knocking foes out of the way. This can be dodged, and it's generally more effective in small stages.

Winning Poses:
-K. Rool opens a chest of bananas.
-K. Rool widens his cracked eye, and holds the trigger on his musket.
-K. Rool break dances for a bit, before coming to a laid down, boasting pose.

Stats/Info -
Number of jumps: 2
Wall Hop: No
Wall Cling: No
Gliding: No
Crawling: No
Weight: Heavy
Speed: Slow

Alternate Colors:
Golden crown, blue cape, black K. Rool
Red crown, white cape, green K. Rool
Black crown, blue cape, green K. Rool
*WISHFUL THINKING* Kaptain K. Rool outfit

- Now I know we already have a moveset, but it's a bit too quiet. Maybe this can spark some discussion? Thoughts? Ideas?

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
i would love K.Rool in brawl whit a mix of move set of his personas an his name should be Smash K.Rool that would be awesome
No, Smash K.Rool sounds abit wierd dont you think? Why not just stick to K.Rool or one os his personas like Kong or Kaptain. No smash.

Also just 2 more days until we will find out whether or not K.Rool is in, but that depends whether or not a japanese kid stays up 24 hours playing smash all day. Plleeaaassee japenese kid BRING US SOME GOOD NEWS!

Diddykong08

Smash Cadet
Hey i'm sure many of you already know of the update today on the dojo BUT I thought i'd add something that has to do with this group. Many of you may have noticed that at the start of Brawl under my music, the King K. Rool music has been added from the boss fight in DKC. The official title of the song is King K. Rool/Ship Deck 2. I am so **** happy to see that music added because that is a direct indicator that K. Rool will be a playable character. Sorry if this has been posted already, but I was too lazy to go back on previous pages and look.

CM august

Smash Cadet
[potential spoilers below]

Okay, with all the info that's coming to light now, K. Rool's position in Brawl appears to be in jeopardy. We've seen the hidden characters, we've seen the bosses, and no K. Rool in sight. Can anybody prove or disprove the rumors that he is nothing more than an assist trophy?

Top Bottom