• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede Matchups And Possible Secondary To Address The Bad Ones?

tymandude1

Smash Rookie
Hey I wanted to talk about D3's match ups and which ones I personally struggled with. I can break them down into two 4 main categories: Fast Characters, Fast Projectile Characters, Fast Characters With Fast Projectiles, and Uncertain Matchups which are matchups that I never or barely struggled with but I'm unsure if the opponent was just bad the match up or bad in general.

Fast Characters: Pichu, Pikachu, Sonic, Inkling, Diddy Kong, Greninja, and Bayonetta

Fast Projectile Characters: Young Link, Toon Link, Palutena, and Megaman

Fast Characters With Fast Projectiles: Fox, Sheik, Falco, and Wolf

Uncertain Martch Ups: All swordies, Ness, Lucas, ZSS, Pit, Dark Pit, Mario, Doctor Mario, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Mewtwo, Snake, Pokemon Trainer, and Incineroar

What do you guys think of the match ups? Are all the matchups I mentioned bad matchups? Are any of the uncertain matchups I mentioned bad matchups in your opinion? Finally what secondaries do you think cover D3's bad matchups the best?

APairOfSocks

Smash Rookie
I think projectiles in general give D3 a hard time. I've had better results taking projectile characters to flat stages like FD and Smashville. But i think that might mostly be because it makes it easier for Dedede to land and potentially harder for them to land. I've also noticed that there are certain matchups that completely win the gordo game to the point where if they are on stage you probably shouldn't be using it at all if any Inhalse is also generally useless in these situations. I've had a big problem with Villager, Toon Link and Link here.

Some of the characters you mentioned have a really hard time off stage against D3 you might want to start following them off stage to condition them to air dodge. C. Falcon has some good Combos on us and Knee is easier to hit on D3's large hitbox but he is easy to gank and his offstage options are limited vs D3.
Fox and Falco fall into the same boat if you can get them Off stage but below the stage forcing them to Side B to ledge or use Up B. Jet Hammer covers Side B before it can grab the ledge, And down air covers Both of their Up B's if timed correctly on most stages. All of the sword characters fall into this catagory as well from most of my matches. They are hard to land on, and have comparable hitboxes to D3 but if you can position them off stage you can usually take a stock. I always follow sword character off stage when i see that i'll have time. One fair is enough to kill most of them. ( Marth Lucina Chrom Roy Ike)

Ness and Lucas are weird they blow D3 up but you can do the same to them. Jet Hammer is really good in the match up Imo . You can short hop over Pika-fire or into it and release Jet Hammer for the super armor and it trumps the projectile and can be used as a decent punish. Off stage is pretty strong against ness becuase where he stops of Pika thunder is predictable. Lucas is a bit harder. I tend to chase Ness off stage but i think its better to try to set up Ledge traps against Lucas. When you recover against Ness Nair will eat Pika-Thunder but it won't against Lucas.

I don't have much Experience against any of the other characters or really give you any feedback on them yet.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Projectile fighters and sword speedsters have a natural advantage over him since they can juggle/space him out. :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultlink::ultmetaknight::ultroy: etc. all fall into this category. Dedede himself is naturally advantaged over other heavies because of the hammer and is on about the same tier as :ultdk: and :ultkrool: for heavies. Dedede absolutely murders fighters that rely on getting up close and can't react to his attacks swift enough.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Any ideas on the pichu matchup? It seems brutal so far.
You're going to get combo'd. Just accept that. Try to land the hits you can.

Pichu's fast and small, so hard to hit. B-air is my favorite KO move against this rodent. Landing smash attacks against it is tough.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
What moved should I try and use against him?
TBH I don't have a ton of experience vs. Pichu. Refrain from using Gordo except when you're sure it's safe (good advice when fighting any projectile user). D-tilt and nair are fast with big hitboxes, so use those. Pichu gets good combos in the air, and with DeDeDe so big and slow, you don't want to be in the air too much. I also like f-tilt against Pichu for the range.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Another bad matchup IMO is Mario. Fireballs shut down gordos, we get comboed to hell and back, not to mention he gets a free grab off fireballs.

Top Bottom