• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede is ridiculous

Donkey_Butter

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else think that King Dedede is too overpowered? I’m not amazing at the game but I can win a fair amount of matches that are enough for me to go elite or at least close to it, but every time I get matched up with someone playing as this character, I already know that I’ve lost.
His attacks are annoying, and most of them are hard to punish because there’s hardly any end lag between the attack and when the player shields or dodges.
Being edgegaurded is usually innevitable because his multiple jumps are combined with strong long ranged attacks that will gimp you easily. Speaking of edgegaurding, good luck doing that to him.
The gordos are annoying not because they are launched towards you, but because anyone who plays as king dedede can launch players towards the gordo and KO them at higher percentages.
Maybe I’m just not that good at the game and so that’s why I’m having trouble winning, but I find it odd that I can beat players playing as king k rool who is supposed to be overpowered, but I get destroyed by anyone who plays as dedede who is supposed to be one of the low tier characters.

KingDadada

Smash Rookie
Who are you facing him as? Dedede has a ton of rough MUs imo, but there are a few characters I always seem to destroy.

Donkey_Butter

Smash Rookie
Who are you facing him as? Dedede has a ton of rough MUs imo, but there are a few characters I always seem to destroy.
I’ve mained Mario the whole time. After thinking about it, I think that’s probably why I have trouble because of his short ranged attacks.

Crosser

Smash Rookie
He has trouble vs. long-range campers. He makes his money in close range.

I have noticed an excess of low tier players pick him up though. I don't understand how a lot of Dedede's are at Elite. I two and three stock a lot of them. Just spam fireball with Mario and he can't spam Gordos.

KingDadada

Smash Rookie
He has trouble vs. long-range campers. He makes his money in close range.

I have noticed an excess of low tier players pick him up though. I don't understand how a lot of Dedede's are at Elite. I two and three stock a lot of them. Just spam fireball with Mario and he can't spam Gordos.
Yeah spamming fireball definitely frustrates the Gordo spam. I don't know if I'd say that MU is in Dedede's favor, but it definitely isn't one of Dedede's tougher MUs either because Mario's attacks get outranged by the King's Hammer. Of course, Dedede can get juggled quite a bit by Mario.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Played against him as Inkling, couldn't do much at all. As Inkling I need to be close and personal, and if I approached at low angle he could suck me, if I tried to approach from above, he would hammer me. Staying away is pointless because the only projectile Inkling has is the splat bomb, which is not reliable, and you can't spam because you have to refill ink. Splattershot doesn't have enough range and the damage is mediocre, so yeah. Sadness.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
When i play FFA stock matches in arenas, im ALWAYS on a win streak with dedede because of how OP his run into dive attack is and the wiffs of his hammer and how early he kills. I always have a bunch more kills than everyone else and less deaths and thats 100% because of how easy he kos and his heavy hard to launch weight.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Played against him as Inkling, couldn't do much at all. As Inkling I need to be close and personal, and if I approached at low angle he could suck me, if I tried to approach from above, he would hammer me. Staying away is pointless because the only projectile Inkling has is the splat bomb, which is not reliable, and you can't spam because you have to refill ink. Splattershot doesn't have enough range and the damage is mediocre, so yeah. Sadness.
I've bodied Inklings so harshly as dedede I almost feel guilty.

Dedede can cover a 360 angle around him with his attacks and has decent disjoints. He has powerful moves and can kill you very early. His disadvantages are his heavy weight, which makes him combo food, slow frame data and he still lacks a killthrow. Because of that he's probably a solid mid tier (we should make a tournament results thread) but neither a low or a high tier.

Crosser

Smash Rookie
Its such BS he doesn't have a kill throw. Throwin squishys up in the air at 180 and no kill. Believe it or not Dedede really has to corner people just to get a kill.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I've bodied Inklings so harshly as dedede I almost feel guilty.

Dedede can cover a 360 angle around him with his attacks and has decent disjoints. He has powerful moves and can kill you very early. His disadvantages are his heavy weight, which makes him combo food, slow frame data and he still lacks a killthrow. Because of that he's probably a solid mid tier (we should make a tournament results thread) but neither a low or a high tier.
On the other hand the poor thing can't do much if I am playing Isabelle or Villager. He doesn't like the slingshot much.

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
I’ve mained Mario the whole time. After thinking about it, I think that’s probably why I have trouble because of his short ranged attacks.
I would say if you main Mario to have good spacing between you and Dedede, be very cautious with your approaches, the cape might also be a good addition, Most not all of Dedede's attacks have a slow start-up lag, and the cape could turn him around. Although that works best while in the air

Kuffy

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else think that King Dedede is too overpowered? I’m not amazing at the game but I can win a fair amount of matches that are enough for me to go elite or at least close to it, but every time I get matched up with someone playing as this character, I already know that I’ve lost.
His attacks are annoying, and most of them are hard to punish because there’s hardly any end lag between the attack and when the player shields or dodges.
Being edgegaurded is usually innevitable because his multiple jumps are combined with strong long ranged attacks that will gimp you easily. Speaking of edgegaurding, good luck doing that to him.
The gordos are annoying not because they are launched towards you, but because anyone who plays as king dedede can launch players towards the gordo and KO them at higher percentages.
Maybe I’m just not that good at the game and so that’s why I’m having trouble winning, but I find it odd that I can beat players playing as king k rool who is supposed to be overpowered, but I get destroyed by anyone who plays as dedede who is supposed to be one of the low tier characters.
I wouldn’t say he’s op he has his flaws, but you haven’t found them yet, it’s all about positioning when fighting dedede, hitting the gordo back at dedede can make it easier for you to approach

D

Deleted member

Mario wrecks Dedede. What kinda training have you been doing?

Top Bottom