• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.

If any of these are too hard to see due to the clipping, let me know and I'll make DDD a little transparent or something.

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation from the 3DS version of the game.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the Wii U models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Q: Can I use these for my guide?
A: Yes.

Thank you

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
You're doing Gods work here my friend these are INSANELY helpful and we're very VERY grateful.

However... I don't think Dtilt is right. I've hit with it MUCH higher than that when you find the time could you check that one again?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.

If any of these are too hard to see due to the clipping, let me know and I'll make DDD a little transparent or something.

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation from the 3DS version of the game.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the Wii U models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Q: Can I use these for my guide?
A: Yes.

Thank you
Everyone give props to Furil Furil here, this stuff is absolutely beautiful. Thank you, sir, our community hugely appreciates it.

Two questions:
  1. Dair: is that dime-sized upper hitbox the actual sweetspot, and the rest the sourspot? If so ughh
  2. Inhale: could you explain the colors a little more? I assume the blue is the windbox, what do the three other colors mean?
To everyone else: I'm putting a few screenshots of specific hitboxes you might want to take note of. Also, a bit ago this man gave us the Gordo hitboxes as well - reposting below.

Last edited:

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Excellent work, thanks so much for putting this together!

Main takeaways for me:
  • Up-tilt's disjoint is much bigger than I expected. I knew it had one, but that's fairly generous. Might be worth investigating how useful of an anti-air it is on some characters.
  • Nair's sourspot is puny.
  • Bair's disjoint is marvelous, but it really doesn't cover below him at all. I know people here have said this, but it never felt like it to me. Will have to work on landings more.
  • Fair and Dair are about as poor as expected. Not terribly shocking, but disappointing.
  • Interesting that D-smash keeps the hitbox through the z-axis. Might be particularly useful against spotdodges.
  • Also forgot to mention, but good lord Up Smash is somehow even worse than I thought. What is that move seriously

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
However... I don't think Dtilt is right. I've hit with it MUCH higher than that when you find the time could you check that one again?
Sure!
Dtilt is attached to the base node, so I'm confident that it's position is correct, and it's size should be fine too. Maybe you just barely clipped some people? If anyone could get a reference, I could check again and see if there's anything I'm missing.

Code for reference:
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=6.0)
Hitbox(ID=0, Part=0, Bone=0, Damage=10.0, Angle=45, KBG=75, FKB=0, BKB=60, Size=7.0, Z=0.0, Y=7.0, X=12.0, Effect=0, Trip=0.4, Hitlag=1.0, SDI=1.0, Clang=1, Unknown=1, ShieldDamage=0, SFXType=2, Ground/Air=2, Direct/Indirect=3, Unknown=1, Unknown=2)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=9.0)
Hitbox(ID=0, Part=0, Bone=0, Damage=6.0, Angle=45, KBG=75, FKB=0, BKB=60, Size=5.0, Z=0.0, Y=5.0, X=12.0, Effect=0, Trip=0.4, Hitlag=1.0, SDI=1.0, Clang=1, Unknown=1, ShieldDamage=0, SFXType=1, Ground/Air=2, Direct/Indirect=3, Unknown=1, Unknown=2)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=14.0)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Script_End()
Two questions:
  1. Dair: is that dime-sized upper hitbox the actual sweetspot, and the rest the sourspot? If so ughh
  2. Inhale
  1. You mean this?: http://i.imgur.com/qyxFv2q.png then yes
  2. Yeah, blue is a windbox. The red I guess is the actual collision for the inhale. The pink is just the red and blue overlapping a little.
This one specifically is the spike.

Last edited:

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
Yes! Thank you so much.

Up smash, nair, and bair particularly make me want to cry.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Sure!
Dtilt is attached to the base node, so I'm confident that it's position is correct, and it's size should be fine too. Maybe you just barely clipped some people? If anyone could get a reference, I could check again and see if there's anything I'm missing.

After looking at a few clips I think you're right, I most likely clipped em at the very edge of the hitbox. Could you possibly do what you did for Dair for Sour/Late Nair? I have a hard time believing the hitbox is actually a sliver on his belly

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, big characters tend to have hitboxes that clip through them. They can look non-existent in some cases.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Ooo, hang on. Is that some intangibility I spy on the startup of Up Tilt?

Really want to lab this move more now. If only it were like two or three frames faster it'd be just amazing.

EDIT: The entirety of the hitbox's duration is apparently intangible on head and arm, according to KuroganeHammer. That's really rad.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Ooo, hang on. Is that some intangibility I spy on the startup of Up Tilt?
EDIT: The entirety of the hitbox's duration is apparently intangible on head and arm, according to KuroganeHammer. That's really rad.
Normally I would show the intangible nodes, but it was kinda hard with DDD.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Those hitboxes make me sad, but at least now I know why some moves miss when they look like they should have hit. Might put some serious thought into picking king fat penguin up as a secondary instead of pocket now.

NefariousNick

Smash Rookie
Excuse me if I don't understand, but for his D-smash, is the hit-box active all the time, or is it some of that z-axis funkiness when it passes "behind" him? I mean I don't think I've had any situations where someone was inside of me for it, and I can't really lab on my own with only a 3DS.
Also 10/10, it's all beautiful(ly sad).
edit: I didn't see williams posts after reading through multiple times. Now I think I see.

Last edited:

Zacmonkey

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyH-J
Excuse me if I don't understand, but for his D-smash, is the hit-box active all the time, or is it some of that z-axis funkiness when it passes "behind" him? I mean I don't think I've had any situations where someone was inside of me for it, and I can't really lab on my own with only a 3DS.
Also 10/10, it's all beautiful(ly sad).
edit: I didn't see williams posts after reading through multiple times. Now I think I see.
I've definately had it miss some times because of the z-axis mostly with characters like pikachu and cloud, and sometimes roy. Really thin characters can just jump into the middle while it's active sometimes.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
This is great, thanks a lot! Any chance you could do Gordos as well?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Wasn't his Nair always like this since Brawl?
The second hitbox ( the glowing aura ) is inside his body.

Last edited:

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
I've done this to get a better idea with the animations, don't understanding how much the model would stretch in order to match the hitboxes
I don't get why it works like that: getting caught in the grab hitbox doesn't stop the opponent from doing anything, so we can still be hit or grabbed even though we caught them. Otherwise the range of the hitbox would be great.
Sakurai, pls ç_ç

Last edited:

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
I've done this to get a better idea with the animations, don't understanding how much the model would stretch in order to match the hitboxes
I don't get why it works like that: getting caught in the grab hitbox doesn't stop the opponent from doing anything, so we can still be hit or grabbed even though we caught them. Otherwise the range of the hitbox would be great.
Sakurai, pls ç_ç
It's a wind box, not a hitbox.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I'd like to see the wireframe hitboxes for Dash attack, ftilt, and dtilt, if that's not too much to ask.

It looks like DDD has a lot of hitboxes that are completely concealed inside his body.

Treemendous

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see the wireframe hitboxes for Dash attack, ftilt, and dtilt, if that's not too much to ask.

It looks like DDD has a lot of hitboxes that are completely concealed inside his body.
I'm 99.99% positive that D3 has no other hitboxes on his Dtilt, though I agree wire framing of some of his moves would be useful, such as the ones you mentioned as well as his Usmash (weird-ass PoS move) and maybe even his nair (late).

EDIT: Ooops late hit nair was done, my bad.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I'm 99.99% positive that D3 has no other hitboxes on his Dtilt, though I agree wire framing of some of his moves would be useful, such as the ones you mentioned as well as his Usmash (weird-*** PoS move) and maybe even his nair (late).
Wireframe Nair would have been the first to ask for but it was posted above already

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Could you possibly wire frame Jab 1/2 Bair and Fair for me? I feel like there's a bit there I'm missing.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
seeing these hitboxes make me wonder why in the blue hell he was nerfed.
In the Smash 4 balancing team, literally anything can happen. My theory is, Dedede is a noob killer, the noobs whine, the balancing team immediately obey and nerf him. I guarantee that's why Bayo got nerfed, people didn't want to adapt
Girthquake Girthquake I too am curious about Jab 2 and Bair. Some really stupid things have happened, good and bad

The Royal Gardener

Smash Rookie
This is really great! Thank you for showing us this! I have one request for you, though. Do you think you could possibly include the hitbox for the Gordo Toss, since the initial hammer swing can make contact with the opponent?

Googly Eyes

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the visualizations, I will try to apply this to my D3 as best as possible. :4dedede:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
>Dtilt
>Usmash
>Dash attack
>Nair
We have reverse bayonetta right here. This poor character can never get a break.
Why aren't these bigger? NINTENDO PLS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom