• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede 1.1.3 Discussion

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Current Smashboards patch notes say:
  • Neutral Special 1/3
    • Small timing tweak
  • Up Special 1/2/3
    • Facing Restriction added to descent and landing hitboxes
Does this mean we got an inhale buff? Can someone explain if this means that the startup is faster? I'm also curious what "Facing Restriction" means and how it affects our game.

Besides that, have you guys noticed any other changes with our King?

Last edited:

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
I don't know where this informations coming from, but I can't see a blip of a difference. Tried inhale and it was the same as always. Played about 30 games last night. Couldn't find anything. Also, not a clue what facing restrictions means. Thought it had to do with how you can make it so you land on stage with UP B by simply facing the other way instead of at the stage, but it still acts the same so I don't know.

Sorry. I'll keep looking.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Same. I have no idea what those patch notes mean. Haven't noticed any difference in up B or inhale.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I've pretty much given up on Dedede getting any meaningful buffs, it's not going to happen any time soon.
Plus it seems like the upcoming DLC folk are both going to be utter nightmares for Dedede to fight, coupled with the fact that Link and Robin both got huge buffs in the patch. As if those match ups weren't hard enough to deal with.
Yeah Dedede is doomed to be bottom 10.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Soul Train Soul Train Have you tested anything with Inhale? I know you just recently did a guide on it so I figure if anyone notices a difference it's gonna be you.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Yep, I'll paste in what I wrote in the Q&A thread:

SIGH. Did some testing, doesn't look like D3 received any changes, as per the Nintendo norm. Fair still sucks, Gordo Throw has >60 frames of vulnerability, and Jab is still needs reworking. There might be a few frames reduction on Inhale, but I'm assuming that's placebo.

ALRIGHTY THEN. Time to get up and over it, and probably actually get around to my vid concepts like some advanced Gordo stuff or "Changes Dedede Needs to Become Competitive."

There's still a chance though...when Corrin is released, they'll probably patch the game then too.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I tried both Inhale and UpB in every single possible angle I could, in every direction, spacing, everything. Nothing works, and nothing has changed. I don't know what the heck it means, but one thing is sure and that's that it doesn't mean jack.

At this point I'd be totally ecstatic if they just took the time to fix the broken dtilt hitbox. That's ACTUALLY something that NEEDS to be fixed... Come on, Nintendo.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
I've pretty much given up on Dedede getting any meaningful buffs, it's not going to happen any time soon.
Plus it seems like the upcoming DLC folk are both going to be utter nightmares for Dedede to fight, coupled with the fact that Link and Robin both got huge buffs in the patch. As if those match ups weren't hard enough to deal with.
Yeah Dedede is doomed to be bottom 10.
*sigh*

After maining him for the 1st 8 months after release, he's now down to 3rd string for me. I only use him for the :4ganondorf::4dk::4charizard: matchups now. There came a point where I was forced to choose between winning tournaments or playing my favorite character unfortunately. I don't think Dedede is viable and it makes me sad.

Last edited:

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
In order to get the precious buff we have been looking for a long time, we should follow the path of making Youtube vids and keep complaining so they notice, it worked for lucas lol.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
In order to get the precious buff we have been looking for a long time, we should follow the path of making Youtube vids and keep complaining so they notice, it worked for lucas lol.
My plans exactly. We shall yet triumph. And until then, crouch taunt mercilessly.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
*sigh*

After maining him for the 1st 8 months after release, he's now down to 3rd string for me. I only use him for the :4ganondorf::4dk::4charizard: matchups now. There came a point where I was forced to choose between winning tournaments or playing my favorite character unfortunately. I don't think Dedede is viable and it makes me sad.
Even then with all the buffs they've gotten :4dk: feels more like a 6/4 now and :4charizard: went from being positive to a even match-up. Personally, in the current meta I feel :4drmario::4ganondorf::4lucina: are the only match-ups Dedede actually wins, and even then :4ganondorf::4lucina: both got buffed this patch and :4drmario: has potential to be a lower mid character if things keep developing.

Honestly though there's no point in losing hope if you're comfortable with the character. I could easily start maining Bowser if I wanted but I'm much more confident in my Dedede than I am with him. It's a fine fact you do better with a character you're happy with than a character who's simply a higher tier.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Even then with all the buffs they've gotten :4dk: feels more like a 6/4 now and :4charizard: went from being positive to a even match-up. Personally, in the current meta I feel :4drmario::4ganondorf::4lucina: are the only match-ups Dedede actually wins, and even then :4ganondorf::4lucina: both got buffed this patch and :4drmario: has potential to be a lower mid character if things keep developing.

Honestly though there's no point in losing hope if you're comfortable with the character. I could easily start maining Bowser if I wanted but I'm much more confident in my Dedede than I am with him. It's a fine fact you do better with a character you're happy with than a character who's simply a higher tier.
You're right that :4charizard::4dk: :4ganondorf:are probably close to even or slightly losing at top level. But if you're playing a mid level player who hasn't mastered neutral with those characters I feel :4dedede: basically wins at the character select screen and turns it into very lopsided matchup if you camp, play passively and zone them out with gordo wall, ftilt and bair. Been my experience in tourney anyways.

You're right that you need passion for the character. Luckily I developed a passion for :4wario: that matches my passion for :4dedede:. I know other top tiers like :4sonic::4sheik::rosalina: I've tried to main but just have no passion for them...so I have no desire to improve.

Last edited:

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
So even if Dedede doesn't have a facing restriction, could someone explain what that actually means? I noticed some other characters had that in the new patch notes.

Krubby

Smash Cadet

I think the problem a lot of people have though is that it's hard to be happy with a character when you're directly handicapping yourself by playing as them and are only choosing them because you like them :T

betaclay

I play bad games
Another patch with 0 changes of note. If he wasn't low tier before, Nintendo sure is hell bent on making him one

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Another patch with 0 changes of note. If he wasn't low tier before, Nintendo sure is hell bent on making him one
Nintendo just doesn't think like we do. D3 just isn't designed for 1v1. He's designed for FFAs. Sad but true. However, Nintendo is doing better at making the heavies more competitive. Bowser just got his Hoo Hah. I'd be shocked if they don't do something to Dedede next patch to help him in 1v1, as they seem to be making their way through the heavies slowly. My guess is they add a kill throw.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Anyone ever figure out what the changes actually were?
Not that I know of. I know a few of us have pretty extensively tested Inhale since and found nothing. And I have no idea on the "facing restriction" change to UpB, as it always had facing restrictions (wouldn't grab ledge if facing away).

Cook

Smash Master
Not that I know of. I know a few of us have pretty extensively tested Inhale since and found nothing. And I have no idea on the "facing restriction" change to UpB, as it always had facing restrictions (wouldn't grab ledge if facing away).
I know facing restriction has something to do with people getting out of moves. I think the MK facing restriction change was that there was done jank where people could fall out of his jab or something like that, so they fixed it. I don't know how that applies to Dedede up b though.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I know facing restriction has something to do with people getting out of moves. I think the MK facing restriction change was that there was done jank where people could fall out of his jab or something like that, so they fixed it. I don't know how that applies to Dedede up b though.
Yeah. Maybe it changed the direction opponents face after hitstun from D3's UpB? Who knows, an absolute lolz patch concept though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom