• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede 1.0.6 Patch Changes

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
This might end up being quite the short thread, lulz.

Confirmed Changes:
  • ...none.
I've been experimenting a lot, and have found solidly nothing. Usmash is unchanged, Uair cancelling is the same, and same with Dthrow. Inhale lag is unchanged. With Gordo, it's hard to tell against CPUs, and I'm going between this and work so I can't test thoroughly. Customs untested. Let's keep testing, but I doubt there'll be many changes...directly.

But that's not likely where we'll spend time analyzing this patch. Already, the patch is a great indirect buff for D3. Nintendo overall did good here evening out the playing field, with several harder matchups getting easier (or at least a tad better). Just look at a few that are confirmed already:
  • Diddy dethroned - less damage and knockback across the board and no HOO HAH
  • Sonic and ROB's killthrows nerfed, I'll take it.
  • Sheik Bair nerfed.
  • Link's jab cancels nerfed.
  • Not character-related: Lylat was fixed! Counterpick potential?
And so far, looks like Bowser, Ganondorf, DK, and Samus saw some of the best overall buffs. To the first three I say great! Even if they're more difficult, those will stay good matchups for D3, and hopefully more people will be playing them now. But as to Samus's buffs...well, she did need some love.

Of course there's Mewtwo as well. It's too early to rate the matchup, but in the dozen or so matches I had with a fun one earlier, he feels like a floatier Ike. But with Shadow Ball, which kills. Gut feel is 50:50, but that's just speculation.

While some patch changes make no sense (Charizard?), keep in mind this is Nintendo, and patches like this are huge progress for a company as famously rigid as this one. Of course I'll update the OP as any confirmed D3 changes come in (no "feels like..." please).

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, seems like D3 wasn't touched at all this time around. Ah well, I don't think he needed too much... maybe a bit less lag on his inhale. We'll manage.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I'm pretty sure Nair has less ending lag. How do I know? On every for glory I practice by grabbing the CPU Dedede, down throw, then nair twice. When I practiced today, I noticed I could do nair much earlier than I could before.

Of course it could still be the placebo effect...but it feels like less ending lag.

Also I think down throw's ending lag is reduced too, as I can jump up to the thrown Dedede quicker.

Kova

Smash Rookie
I can't notice any direct DDD changes. His moveset seems the same.

Overall like OP said, it's a very nice proxy buff to DDD. DDD's matchups against what might be the most popular and strongest 3 tourney characters - Sonic, Shiek and Diddy got easier. I'm thrilled about that.

Overall, it's a great patch IMO and I'm so glad Nintendo is working to balance the game. I was afraid they'd do no more balance patches after release and we'd see nothing but Diddy win tourneys for years.

They generally nerfed those that needed it and buffed some of those that needed it. The only thing I disagree on so far is the slight Charizard nerf. Also I don't necessarily disagree with all the Bowser buffs but it is strange that he seems to have gotten more love than Charizard since he was certainly a better character than Charizard overall pre-patch. None of this really affects DDD though. Both remain good matchups IMO, although we'll have to be a bit more careful against Bowser since he can now punisher even harder.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I can't notice any direct DDD changes. His moveset seems the same.

Overall like OP said, it's a very nice proxy buff to DDD. DDD's matchups against what might be the most popular and strongest 3 tourney characters - Sonic, Shiek and Diddy got easier. I'm thrilled about that.

Overall, it's a great patch IMO and I'm so glad Nintendo is working to balance the game. I was afraid they'd do no more balance patches after release and we'd see nothing but Diddy win tourneys for years.

They generally nerfed those that needed it and buffed some of those that needed it. The only thing I disagree on so far is the slight Charizard nerf. Also I don't necessarily disagree with all the Bowser buffs but it is strange that he seems to have gotten more love than Charizard since he was certainly a better character than Charizard overall pre-patch. None of this really affects DDD though. Both remain good matchups IMO, although we'll have to be a bit more careful against Bowser since he can now punisher even harder.
I think the Charizard nerf was for low level play.
Flare Blitz spam is really effective there, while at high level play, Flare Blitz isn't as necessary, and the nerf doesn't effect Zard THAT MUCH.

I do think it needs a buff, but I agree with nerfing Flare Blitz. It's a total noob killer. If they give it a buff, it should be something that would only effect high level players, like a specific angle or something, because buffing Zard in a more direct way will just make the game less fun for less skilled players.

Zard is kind of like Brawl Ike, I think. Decent to mediocre, but a great character for new players.

AAAnyway, I like this patch for D3, even though they didn't touch him. Nice indirect buffs. Shame we didn't get Kirby's decreased landing lag, but I can live without it.
Did you check customs, Soul Train? I haven't gone too deep yet, but they seem unchanged too.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I think the Charizard nerf was for low level play.

Did you check customs, Soul Train? I haven't gone too deep yet, but they seem unchanged too.
Agreed with everything you said on Charizard.

And literally just got back home, I work two jobs when I want to :p... About to jump in the lab and try stuff out.

Edit: some solid Custom % changes found. Unfortunately I can't test any knockback changes, as my Wii U just auto-updated itself. Can anyone test the kill %s for D3, especially for custom moves?
  • Taste Test +2% damage (12% -> 14%)
  • Bouncing Gordo +1% damage (6% -> 7%)
  • Quick Dedede Jump +3% damage (falling hitbox 10% -> 11%, ground pound 6%-8%)
  • Dash Jet Hammer fully charged hit +3% damage (18% -> 21%)
If someone else can confirm these, I'll add them to the OP.

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Taste test always did 14% if I remember properly. I don't know about any of the other customs well enough to say.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I played for several hours last night and noticed no changes, for better or worse. Can't say I'm surprised.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I tested the customs myself and didn't notice any changes. Taste Test has and still is 12%. You sure you didn't choose "random" cpu which might have given them defense-reducing equipment (I've done that before), or tested on Bowser Jr. by accident?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I tested the customs myself and didn't notice any changes. Taste Test has and still is 12%. You sure you didn't choose "random" cpu which might have given them defense-reducing equipment (I've done that before), or tested on Bowser Jr. by accident?
That was it. You are a smart dude, you know that? Thanks for the save :)

No changes, then. Snap.

BFG9000

Smash Rookie
Can anyone confirm this for me? After the update I've been seeing people cancelling the Super Dedede jump once they reach the apex - a lot like the custom move that makes dedede attack on the way up instead of down. Obviously this would be useful for horizontal recovery if you were, say, out of jumps. The thing is I have no idea how to replicate it, and I'm not even sure if this was always how the Dedede jump worked or if it was just added.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Can anyone confirm this for me? After the update I've been seeing people cancelling the Super Dedede jump once they reach the apex - a lot like the custom move that makes dedede attack on the way up instead of down. Obviously this would be useful for horizontal recovery if you were, say, out of jumps. The thing is I have no idea how to replicate it, and I'm not even sure if this was always how the Dedede jump worked or if it was just added.
You can cancel the Super Dedede Jump anytime by inputting up on the control stick. This has been around since Brawl, except you had to input down.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Another D3 main and myself used to practice regrabbing each others Gordos and now it seems like you simply can't grab an enemy D3s gordo, effectively fixing the gordo glitch where it gets stuck underneath D3s character model.

AAAZZZ

Smash Rookie
Another D3 main and myself used to practice regrabbing each others Gordos and now it seems like you simply can't grab an enemy D3s gordo, effectively fixing the gordo glitch where it gets stuck underneath D3s character model.
I had the gordo glitch happen against an Olimar once, though god only knows why.

Top Bottom