• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King DDD+; rejoice for the chain grab!

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I would make an account but I do most of my posting at work and it won't let me access the site there. I'm off for the next few days after today, though, so I might go in and make one.

I've never made a guide, but if nothing else I can gather combos and keep a list of them.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I got to watch that vid with the new F-smash, and I really like it, but it seems like something with that much range really shouldn't do much damage at all, along with an instant trip...but at the same time, the smash is slow so it might be worth it. I'd want to lower the damage to 3% instead of 5%, since it's basically got a stage length range. Personally, I'd probably use it half of the time to get rid of waddles. I really, REALLY hate trying to throw an attack and being too close to a waddle and grabbing it instead.

Dair to Dair works, but as soon as the opponent inches away with DI (which usually is only one or two Dairs) it's time for a Fair (or Bair if you're facing the other way). Dair to Fair is a killer. Faster fallers can be hit with more Dairs, though...I'd bet the spacied could be combo'd into Dair until you run out of jumps at certain percentages.

Depending on your opponent, a well-timed Up+B can be a decent edgeguard (for those characters that have trouble grabbing the ledge). Mostly when your opponents last option is their Up+B, when they're below the stage. It's probably better to go for a Dair instead, but Up+B to spike is fun.

Would there possibly be a way to make DDD NOT regrab a waddle when it's on the ground? Or make the area around the waddle where you grab it smaller? I hate it when I'm trying to jump into a Dair and the waddle is too close, even when DDD wouldn't actually be close enough to grab it...just close enough to hit it.

DDD is so much fun...I might end up maining him if I do well against some of my friends. I've got a friend with a REALLLY mean Zamus...and that gives me trouble because of her range and combos...it's hard to get in on her.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. Is this in a test-phase or do you think it's going to be in the next official?

The Cape

Smash Master
The F smash sourspot is also a hitbox.

It can be sheilded, dodged, and even clanked. This allows DDD a new option to approach his opponent as a mixup, but is not something all that stellar.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Would there possibly be a way to make DDD NOT regrab a waddle when it's on the ground? Or make the area around the waddle where you grab it smaller? I hate it when I'm trying to jump into a Dair and the waddle is too close, even when DDD wouldn't actually be close enough to grab it...just close enough to hit it.
They tried to hardcode that in a set a while back, but the issue was that the code made it so DDD couldn't grab ANY items. So things like Diddy's bananas, Peach's turnips, or Snake's Nades...

Whether PSA/OSA or whatever can do it is beyond me. I'm sure there's some sort of "if" statement that you can remove so he doesn't go into the throwing waddle animation when attacking near a waddle, but that is something you have to find first to fix :V

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Ah, ok. Well, at least it has been looked in to. Hopefully something can be done about it, but if not I can deal with it. I'll just use Fsmash to kill my waddles after I throw them XD

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
I realize Dedede's original chaingrab is gone now, but does he still have his standing infinite on Mario/Donkey Kong/Luigi etc.?

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
And if you noticed the tripping hitbox is 10x the original, that's seems pretty large. I need to find out how big this hitbox is.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I know how big the hitbox is.

if all of skyworld is weak, you can destroy all of it with on dedede forward smash. D:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
And if you noticed the tripping hitbox is 10x the original, that's seems pretty large. I need to find out how big this hitbox is.
MASSIVE.
Like, hit all the way across smaller stages.

I've been playing with it though, and before you say "lolbroken" just remember what to do.

"Oh hey, there's an Fsmash charging a mile away! Wow! Look how slow that hammer is rising up! There it goes down to the ground! It's about to hit! JUMP! Good thing I hit the jump button, otherwise I would have been hit by that quake!"

Its hard to hit a competent opponent with it when it can be seen a mile away, and moves at a ******** snail's pace. But when it does work out, such as getting them to recover on stage and hitting them with it as they land, it has good payout. Fsmash trip into grab is made of win. Fsmash trip into a tripchase (is that an actual term? whatever... just read their reaction from the trip) Utilt or something is also sexy.
You can spam Fsmash all you want, but good luck landing a trip that way unless your opponent has no brain. Put them into a situation where they have to get hit by the quakebox and love yourself for it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
D3 will be a terrible doubles partner now. lmao.

Unless D3's partner is a character who stays in teh air all the time. (MK, Jiggs, Wario)

So them the thread of an aerial character with the looming threat of a fsmash being charged.

oh goddddd

D3 + Jiggs = ****.

Fsmash trip = Free bair WOP with Jiggs lmao

OR EVEN A REST OMFG.

Revven

FrankerZ
The only problem with that idea is that the othr two guys aren't just gonna sit there. I mean, it's DOUBLES, why would they let you charge it? They're going to rush over and hit you...

maybe in 2v1 it'd work.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
It would be VERY situational.

but I Wonder...would this work? Dedede + (anyone) doing this?..

like , dedede trips opponent, partner grabs, dedede trips opponent out of grab, etc...

or can you not trip an opponent when there in the "grabbed" state?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^That would fail, since the only person you'd trip would be your own partner.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It would depend on port priority wouldn't it?
If your partner has the 4th port I'm pretty sure he would be fine, and the opponent would trip.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I still find it kind of odd that DDD was the only character with a MASSIVE change to his game with the f-smash. Granted f-smash was one of the most terrible moves in the game, why wasn't anything done to the moves that are arguably worse than the f-smash? Like Ganon's u-tilit and Jiggs Sing to name some. I know that the team has been trying to figure out ways to fix these moves, but if something like this was done to DDD, then I don't see why it can't be done to characters that are much worse off than DDD.

Also, I happened to notice that DDD does additional damage to characters when their sheilds are put up with his f-tilt. I'm sorry but that just seems unnecessary. Why is one of the fastest, most ranged moves in the game do that much additional damage to sheilded characters? Again, couldn't changes like this be given to characters that are in worse positions than DDD? Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems that DDD's changes were given to him so quickly, so why not give something like that to others?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
well, if you tried to trip an opponent as they were being grabbed, yes, port priority would decide who would get tripped, the grabber or the grabbee.

and jiggz sing is not suckish at all. Lrn2 ledge cancel it. >.>

and dedede's ftilt? fast? LOL

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Port priority is srrrs business.
Snake ditto 55-45 advantage for whoever has port 4 lololol :V

Ftilt isn't fast in terms of like, 1 frame lol jab speed that some characters have, but considering how much range it has it is quick. Quick enough to make it a very effective poke and method of safely dealing with a lot of projectiles.

Jigg's sing can actually instantly refresh all of her jumps if you use it at the exact right spot under stages. Its mad weird. But this is DDD+, get that floaty discussion out of our fatty thread >:V

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Okay, I did a few teams matches today (just tossed together online, nothing serious at all... :V) and your teammate and yourself should always fight for 1st and 4th port. Get practicing up on that rock papers scissors :V

We had it down to a 2v1 situation a few times.
Partner grabs, you Fsmash, partner chases the trip and grabs, you Fsmash, partner chases the trip, and after a couple of those it ended with them throwing into a Utilt on my part. Would have been even better throwing into an Fsmash, but it was sex either way.

Honestly I didn't really see Fsmash doing any harm in teams, because if your partner can't jump like anyone else then you need a new partner. The other thing being that Fsmash in general is way too slow regardless unless its a 2v1 of course, where it is sick.

And in 1v1, for a while I was getting complaints about Fsmash trips out of Dthrow. Till they realized anyone can tech in place and shield well before the Fsmash lands. And they also discovered how to jump at the last second any other time I threw it out; shocking eh? When it works its great though :V

Ftilt pressuring shields more effectively... beautiful. Makes dashing into shield less effective as an approach option; never really thought it was a good approach against DDD anyways with his lolgrab and surprisingly quick range options, but its an even worse idea :p Really fits nicely with its great poke move properties.

Uair being a little harder to get out of... beautiful, assuming you space well of course. Definitely found myself landing the last hit more often when I was trapping them in the dead center. Still easy as hell to get out of if you hit them with the edge, as it should be.

Oh and Fthrow's lowered angle, beautiful. Especially when they DI expecting Dthrow. Best way to DI Dthrow is down and away to get to the ground and tech as quick as possible and avoid any CG stuff, and that makes such a **** angle on Fthrow. I was going for an Fthrow if I was at the edge, but still had enough room for them to land on the stage from Dthrow. After tech chasing Dthrow all day they get that ingrained into their mind when you still have room to Dthrow techchase, and toss out an Fthrow with horrible DI on their part.

GG WBR... loving muh fatty :)

timothyung

Smash Ace
I did some testing with the range of the Quake Hammer.
Here are the results:

The red part is the quake hitbox. Click to enlarge.
The centre of the sphere is at the bottom centre of his hammer.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Oh and Fthrow's lowered angle, beautiful. Especially when they DI expecting Dthrow. Best way to DI Dthrow is down and away to get to the ground and tech as quick as possible and avoid any CG stuff, and that makes such a **** angle on Fthrow. I was going for an Fthrow if I was at the edge, but still had enough room for them to land on the stage from Dthrow. After tech chasing Dthrow all day they get that ingrained into their mind when you still have room to Dthrow techchase, and toss out an Fthrow with horrible DI on their part.
Just want to further expand on this, because I noticed how really effective Fthrow can be today in some friendlies after school. I didn't realize how early it could kill if they DI Fthrow like Dthrow, even on FD's pretty sizable boundaries.

So as you all know, the best DI for Dthrow is down and away allowing you to get to the ground as quickly as possible to tech and avoid the potential CG's with poor DI. So if you are like me, you are Dthrow happy. Unless I'm fighting a fast faller or heavy (where Uthrow can be very potent) I basically always go for Dthrow tech chases. Basically after a couple of stocks of Dthrow tech chases the opponent hopefully becomes conditioned to DI'ing Dthrow on reaction to the grab. With the right positioning that I described (far enough from the edge to just allow a Dthrow chase) and a properly conditioned opponent Fthrow absolutely *****.

I had it killing extremely early when they used Dthrow DI. It causes Fthrow to send them almost completely horizontal directly to the blastline, and to make things even better they are DI'ing away so they hit the side blastzone even earlier. I saw it killing fairly heavy characters (like Yoshi and Samus) around 100% or so from the edge of FD. It was really great when I pulled it off... its funny to watch them fly directly into the blast zone :V

Is it guaranteed? No, of course not silly. It completely relies on your opponents failure to read which throw you are going for. The hope is they assume its another Dthrow and can't react in time when their hit with an Fthrow instead. Its just another little something to keep in mind while playing. It was killing earlier than Utilt which is really saying something.

Oh and Fsmash edgegaurds are pro. That **** kills EARLY. Every time you pull one off you should get a cookie or something. :V

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I did some testing with the range of the Quake Hammer.
Here are the results:

The red part is the quake hitbox. Click to enlarge.
The centre of the sphere is at the bottom centre of his hammer.
lol if that did 1% damage, regardless of pointlessness, I bet everyone would be twice as afraid of it.

Top Bottom