• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
King Boo is a weird case. Luigi's Mansion 3 had not spirit event, despite clearly having potential to add a few characters ( Hellen Gravely, Gooigi, King MacFrights and the Steward ghost for example have official renders).
It's bizarre that they never added them. Plus it's not like LM3 had no succes. It sold, what? Over 8 million copies?
Let's have hope. My only concern is that Mario already got a newcomer with the plant as DLC. Would they add another Mario character (though you could argue it's a Luigi's Mansion representative)? That's my only problem with the character. Except for that, the spirits are easy to choose for the board, the stage would definitely be the Hotel, and there are enough songs to add.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
King Boo is a weird case. Luigi's Mansion 3 had not spirit event, despite clearly having potential to add a few characters ( Hellen Gravely, Gooigi, King MacFrights and the Steward ghost for example have official renders).
It's bizarre that they never added them. Plus it's not like LM3 had no succes. It sold, what? Over 8 million copies?
Let's have hope. My only concern is that Mario already got a newcomer with the plant as DLC. Would they add another Mario character (though you could argue it's a Luigi's Mansion representative)? That's my only problem with the character. Except for that, the spirits are easy to choose for the board, the stage would definitely be the Hotel, and there are enough songs to add.
I don't think adding two Mario characters is a problem, especially when one is a freebie bonus and not a full challenger pack with a stage, music, and spirits. It is Nintendo's flagship franchise and it would have likely been around the time of the anniversary last year if not for the covid delays.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't think adding two Mario characters is a problem, especially when one is a freebie bonus and not a full challenger pack with a stage, music, and spirits. It is Nintendo's flagship franchise and it would have likely been around the time of the anniversary last year if not for the covid delays.
That's why I remain hopeful.
Some people state that Luigi's Mansion 3 was already represented in Ultimate... But that's false. We are missing the new characters introduced in this game (granted, there are not a ton of them, but a few notable ones), and it got snobbed of its own spirit event. I really don't recall any Nintendo game that also received this treatement except, of course, Fire Emblem Three Houses (and we got a playable character) and Super Mario Maker 2 (though, to be fair, there was really no new character or element introduced in this game, except maybe Luigi Worker).

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Ya it just doesn't add up and with the red shell hat being missing in smash ultimate that was in smash 4 maybe they gonna put that hat with a king boo reveal

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, the only other noteworthy no-show Switch game with minimal content (at the moment, putting aside what little SMM2 brings) is Crafted World with its lone skin for :ultyoshi:, but that's not nearly as significant since at least the skin is readily viewable. You purposely have to look for the G-00 in battle.

What makes it even weirder was how prominently the G-00 was shown off in :ultsimon:'s trailer. Before the CV monsters came, one could almost mistake it for the trailer of a new Luigi's Mansion entry.

Plus it's way more reasonable to expect that than a Pokémon character as DLC, seeing as The Pokémon Company is apparently difficult about that sort of thing. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted people to buy an amiibo just to gain access to the Pokémon at all.

Also, we can always use more villains.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
As far as I see, the only other noteworthy no-show Switch game with minimal content (at the moment, putting aside what little SMM2 brings) is Crafted World with its lone skin for :ultyoshi:, but that's not nearly as significant since at least the skin is readily viewable. You purposely have to look for the G-00 in battle.
I'd argue that Crafter World doesn't really bring any new character. Sure, they have their crafted forms, but they remain Shy Guys and other known characters.
Meanwhile Luigi's Mansion 3 actually added brand new characters. That would have cost nothing to make a spirit fight for Gooigi, Stewart ghost and the lady ghost. They even made a spirit battle with the cats from Bowser's fury. Surely they could have done the same with two or three PNGs from this game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Overall, the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens this October. If nothing happens then, that will be when we can consider LM3 to be forgotten about for sure.

Until then, let's just be patient. At least there's a pair of spooky games coming soon to tide over the waiting a bit.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There's no way they just randomly do a LM3 event now. It released on halloween which would have been perfect, and another halloween came and went since. It's definitely not a Halloween thing. They also missed the LM3 dlc window as well. The only thing it could possibly be besides a playable character is a tie in with a Gooigi costume or something, but I doubt they would wait two years and not promote the game while it's new just for that. As far as yoshi, there is already a crafted yoshi spirit. What more would they add from that game, just crafted versions of other characters? It makes sense why they would skip it when it already has a spirit. Mario Maker is the only one besides LM3 since release with no spirits and it didn't add any new characters to be made into spirits. LM3 is alone in its situation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically, Crafted World has a costume (no spirits that I know of), but yeah I already see your point. LM3 is obviously the elephant in the room here.
I'm still thinking that Nintendo's acquisition of Next Level Games might have a part in all of this, seeing as :ultdaisy: didn't get in until sometime after R&D1/SPD was merged with EAD. What if history repeated for King Boo?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Technically, Crafted World has a costume (no spirits that I know of), but yeah I already see your point. LM3 is obviously the elephant in the room here.
I'm still thinking that Nintendo's acquisition of Next Level Games might have a part in all of this, seeing as :ultdaisy: didn't get in until sometime after R&D1/SPD was merged with EAD. What if history repeated for King Boo?
Crafted world spirit technically it's a fighter spirit of the crafted world yoshi alt, but "Yoshi (crafted world)" is a base game spirit.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Technically, it COULD be for a costume. Cuphead didn't get a spirit event until one year later where they added a Cuphead mii costume.
So the two cases where they delayed a spirit event was for either a character or a Mii costume.
Though we cannot completely dismiss the possibility that they simply didn't make one for some reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Technically, it COULD be for a costume. Cuphead didn't get a spirit event until one year later where they added a Cuphead mii costume.
So the two cases where they delayed a spirit event was for either a character or a Mii costume.
Though we cannot completely dismiss the possibility that they simply didn't make one for some reason.
there is a key difference ones 3rd party a would require licencing where as the other is 1st party and would be simpler to include

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am here cause after careful consideration, I'd think King Boo would be an amazing troll addition, and would make a lot of sense in a way. More so than Daisy and Piranha Plant. Am down for it! More Nintendo characters is always better in my book.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a different subject, if King Boo got assists, who would you want them to be?

To be fair, Cuphead is a one-shot third-party property (as of this writing), so that's not the best comparison to make. Besides, every recent first-party IP or game that didn't get at least one character strictly got spirit events, so.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Being a third party, they probably just didn't bother getting cuphead spirits until the game was represented in smash in some way. Not every third party game on switch gets a spirit event. Ori, for example, got no spirits despite being in a similar position to Cuphead. With first parties however, the only ones that haven't gotten spirits are Mario Maker 2 and LM3. Every other Nintendo game that came out since smash released got spirits.
Am here cause after careful consideration, I'd think King Boo would be an amazing troll addition, and would make a lot of sense in a way. More so than Daisy and Piranha Plant. Am down for it! More Nintendo characters is always better in my book.
In what way would King Boo be a troll addition?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So this thought just occurred in my head, but is it possible for us to get bonus stages through updates after all the DLC fighters are out and set and stone? Because it would be kind of weird to receive new stages after the whole game's roster is complete and we are not receiving anymore newcomers. I think it's possible they could still add bonus stages through updates after the roster is complete as it would be lovely to see every veteran stage return so we can say "Everywhere Is Here!".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So this thought just occurred in my head, but is it possible for us to get bonus stages through updates after all the DLC fighters are out and set and stone? Because it would be kind of weird to receive new stages after the whole game's roster is complete and we are not receiving anymore newcomers. I think it's possible they could still add bonus stages through updates after the roster is complete as it would be lovely to see every veteran stage return so we can say "Everywhere Is Here!".
The thought flirted my mind occasionally, but we can't really tell for sure. As it stands, once FP2 is set, there'll be three empty spots for stages left over on the stage select screen, but if the datamine is any indication, they could still add characters to accompany three stages.

Plus there's more than three missing past stages, so using those wouldn't quite work...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The thought flirted my mind occasionally, but we can't really tell for sure. As it stands, once FP2 is set, there'll be three empty spots for stages left over on the stage select screen, but if the datamine is any indication, they could still add characters to accompany three stages.

Plus there's more than three missing past stages, so using those wouldn't quite work...
For missing veteran stages, I would go with Pac-Maze, Yoshi's Woolly World and whatever else.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aside from the plant, so far this isn't really like the Smash 4 days in which they added DLC in assorted ways, the DLC here is usually structured in a specific way.

So I don't necessarily think they'd randomly add new stages by themselves without a reason.

I guess the possible reason why Small Battlefield (as well as the extra buttons for triggering Battlefield and FD versions) was added may have been due to deciding on advance preparations for a possible third wave, and making sure that the stage select screen wouldn't have empty spaces left over in it for no reason. A silly reason, yes, but one that could make sense in hindsight.

Assuming we do get anything after FP2 is done, of course. Until then this is conjecture.

Sounds like you have a very limited imagination and probably don't know much about King Boo's skillset.
Yeah, going by Dark Moon alone, King Boo used spike balls, summoned lightning and turned giant to literally bowl over you.

This isn't really a :ultwario: situation about pulling nearly everything out of thin air, King Boo isn't random for the sake of being random.

Last edited:
Top Bottom