• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, it's pretty weird for the spirit team to completely forget about including Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits despite that game being a big deal.

Well, excluding king boo, which others big nintendo villains are left to be added?
Besides what's been said, I guess you could count DJ Octavio from Splatoon since he got to show up twice so far.

surely wed want to have him fight someone different? i know i would, king boo fighting ridley? yes please
Tag team with King K. Rool against the Kongs, please.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Luigis Mansion 3 is selling incredibly well in all the world, so is very weird that there are still no spirits in the game from it. While pokemon swrod and shield that releaaed later got some alredy.

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Direct could be soon i hope they reveal king boo as either dlc 5 or 6 im leaning towards a double reveal

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Ugh, spirit events are a bad sign, usually you don't get Smash news when that happens. But maybe things will be different this time?

Still though, it's a wonder it took this long for AC to be sniped. Poor Akira supporters.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Direct could be soon i hope they reveal king boo as either dlc 5 or 6 im leaning towards a double reveal
I agree that a double reveal is likely, but I don't think King Boo could be in the fighters pass. He definitely has a better chance after the fact though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given how character showcases work, I don't think we'll get a second character reveal. Sak never promised that.

Join Super #SmashBrosUltimate director Masahiro Sakurai on 1/16 at 6am PT for a roughly 35 minute video livestream featuring an in-depth look at an upcoming DLC fighter, which he will unveil in the video!
Although I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of "here's how the next DLC releases will be planned". Or simply nothing at all.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Given how character showcases work, I don't think we'll get a second character reveal. Sak never promised that.

Although I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of "here's how the next DLC releases will be planned". Or simply nothing at all.
I'm willing to bet that we get a simple Terry-tier trailer of the next fighter at the very end. The kind that maybe doesn't show off much other than the cinematic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, let's put it another way.

:ulthero:'s showcase had no reveal.
:ultbanjokazooie:'s showcase had no reveal either.
:ult_terry:'s showcase had, you guessed it, no reveal.

So, it stands to reason that there won't be a reveal for this one and will continue the pattern. The character's thunder would just be stolen otherwise.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

So, it stands to reason that there won't be a reveal for this one and will continue the pattern. The character's thunder would just be stolen otherwise.
I wouldn't suggest following patterns when it comes to smash bros...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Terry, sure, but Hero and Banjo were in the position where the next fighter was already known. And Sakurai still saw fit to give a glimpse of Terry in Banjo's showcase.

Put another way, if stealing thunder was such a big concern, why did Hero and Banjo-Kazooie get revealed in the same Direct?

What I can see happening is just a vague tease for fighter number 6, to be properly revealed in the next proper Direct.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, this situation is different; we DON'T have two characters back to back. Plus the Twitter specifically said it'd be about the next fighter. If there was going to be two revealed, they would have said so, yet they didn't. Hiding someone else when it was expected to only reveal one fighter would be misleading advertising.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey there. Never posted here before, but here is a moveset I created for King Boo.

King Boo

Coming from the Mario series, particually Luigi's Mansion, King Boo can be hurt like how eggs can hurt Boos in Yoshi's Island (the origninal) and by ground pounds from Mario in Super Mario 64. King Boo is a lightweight and moderate sized character, lsightly bigger than Luigi. He uses creams as his neurtal attacks, which function like Barbara the Bat's (an assist trophy from Smash Bros. Brawl) sound waves, only weaker. He also instantly possess items that come out of nowhere and uses them for quick attacks, like possessing a stone in midair and falling to hurt enemies below and a mid sized Bowser robot like from Luigi's Mansion. He also bites, and makes some long range, but weak punches with his short arm for Smash attacks. He also can move through walls, a trait unique to him, but not through floors and ceilings. Here are his special moves.

B: Energy Orb: King Boo fires a purple energy orb at his opponents.

B SIde: Possession: King Boo temporarily possesses an enemy. Though this does not make King Boo control them, this drains their energy, causing damage.

B Down: HIding Scare: King Boo covers his eyes and becomes intangible. But, if a player strikes him when he uses this move at the right moment, instead of hurting him, the Boo king will let out a loud sound that harms and may send the opponent flying. This is like a counter. This also slightly increases King Boo;'s attacks every time this happens, up to five times.

B Up: Vanishing Smoke. King Boo vanishes in a puff of smoke, and reappears in a position further in another direction. if opponents are next to King Boo, they will teleport with, but they will gain damage and fly off when King Boo reappears.

Final Smash: Ghosts' Night Out

King Boo pulls out a painting that pulls with a strong suction. If anyone is caught within it, they will be pulled in without resisting. Once in the painting, the opponents are in a dark world where King Boo flies up to the sky and breaks what looks like the Dark Moon from the second Luigi's Mansion, causing ghosts which are where the opponents are at to attack the opponets. Then a bunch of Boos come to King Boo, and they all make an intense sound blast that may or may not KO opponents.

What do you all think of this?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, this situation is different; we DON'T have two characters back to back. Plus the Twitter specifically said it'd be about the next fighter. If there was going to be two revealed, they would have said so, yet they didn't. Hiding someone else when it was expected to only reveal one fighter would be misleading advertising.
you may be over thinking this just a tad, if it happens it happens if it doesnt happen it doesnt happen

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's one thing to expect only one character, their moves, their stage, their music, their spirits, their history and what color socks they wore on Tuesday in a showcase. But to state anything with 100% certainty is foolhardy.

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Welp he aint dlc 5 but with less first partys in the way it may be king boos time to shine in 2020 later

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
First parties are on the table, missing FE spirits came with Byleth, LM3 still has nothing. I'd call King Boo a front-runner right now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, it feels so good to see another fan rule die in a fire. :mybodyisreggie:

I was at least wrong about not getting the roadmap for the second DLC phase, so points for that I guess. 6 in FP2 is a bleeding nice surprise though.

Makes me wonder though, how recent is "too recent" for character inclusions? Seeing as Sak goes as far as playing game betas for his selection process.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Man, it feels so good to see another fan rule die in a fire. :mybodyisreggie:

I was at least wrong about not getting the roadmap for the second DLC phase, so points for that I guess. 6 in FP2 is a bleeding nice surprise though.

Makes me wonder though, how recent is "too recent" for character inclusions? Seeing as Sak goes as far as playing game betas for his selection process.
If I'm being honest here, I bet you the "too recent" excuse isn't actually real and sakurai was just saying that as an excuse for other less glamorous reasons. It goes to show that his FE bias trumps all other reasoning.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I'm being honest here, I bet you the "too recent" excuse isn't actually real and sakurai was just saying that as an excuse for other less glamorous reasons. It goes to show that his FE bias trumps all other reasoning.
sakurai does say a lot of things that are contradicted by things hes done

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A person can change their mind. It's not like we're expecting him to flip off everyone like Kamiya all the time, or ignoring games altogether for hobbies like Itoi.

In all honesty, would there have actually been any time to include some of those characters? Base game had to cut several corners just to make sure the game got out on time.

Bah whatever, I'm pretty sure one of the next fighters will be someone noteworthy again and the process of folks inflating expectations starts anew.

Would he be a heavy? idk how we would balance his hitbox.
I think so. Mario Kart makes him a heavyweight class, at least in Double Dash.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm 100% in the King Boo is coming camp. The missing spirits are far too suspicious now that Byleth is in and 1st parties are officially on the table.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, something bothers me; if Gen 8 is supposedly getting skipped over, wouldn't the starters' spirits be upgradeable instead of being lumped in together?

My hunch is that we may get Galar's trainer with all the final evos.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Be wary though, don't forget how long it took Astral Chain to get a character
Very true, but that's pretty much the only way King Boo doesn't get in, so I'd consider his chances solid.
Also, something bothers me; if Gen 8 is supposedly getting skipped over, wouldn't the starters' spirits be upgradeable instead of being lumped in together?

My hunch is that we may get Galar's trainer with all the final evos.
The problem is the spirit board, not the character. Gen 8 already got it's spirit board. What's left to add in a Challenger pack?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Very true, but that's pretty much the only way King Boo doesn't get in, so I'd consider his chances solid.

The problem is the spirit board, not the character. Gen 8 already got it's spirit board. What's left to add in a Challenger pack?
Stage and music. We got zippo from Galar itself otherwise, when even :ultincineroar: came with music despite no stage.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Stage and music. We got zippo from Galar itself otherwise, when even :ultincineroar: came with music despite no stage.
I mean for the spirit board. It's confirmed they will come with those.
To be fair there’s still a tone of Pokemon in gen 8 for a spirit board
But they used up all the most popular Pokemon already. Why would they do that if they were just going to add a spirit board with a character anyway?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean for the spirit board. It's confirmed they will come with those.

But they used up all the most popular Pokemon already. Why would they do that if they were just going to add a spirit board with a character anyway?
Because there's DLC for Swish coming, and that is coming with centerpiece Pokémon as well. Including a certain stance-changing martial artist bear.

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Also consider theres been a big lack of Luigis mansion music in smash ultimate only 4 songs from what i saw also people think the LM2 king boo deconfirms him while byleth was not in smash as a spirit so

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
theres still plenty of popular pokemon for them to use, even then who says the spirits have to be popular characters

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because there's DLC for Swish coming, and that is coming with centerpiece Pokémon as well. Including a certain stance-changing martial artist bear.
One or two Pokemon don't make a spirit board.
theres still plenty of popular pokemon for them to use, even then who says the spirits have to be popular characters
I mean they don't absolutely have to be, but if they were going to do a payed dlc Pokemon spirit board then why would they use up the big ones like the starters and corviknight on a free event?

Top Bottom