• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with Villager

Beamer_Chillager

Smash Rookie
NNID
BeamerChan
So I've mained Villager for almost a year, and I lose 90% of my matches overall. I get compliments on my combo game and movement pretty often at weeklies, which makes it pretty obvious that I can't kill with the character. If there was a consistent killing method not from the **** grab I'd probably know about it so what do you do to kill with Villager? Any specific mix-ups that work well? Good set-ups into grab?

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Shooting a loid into an emptyhop (sheildbait) into tomohawk grab is pretty good for grab confirms, just dont spam it. Back air is primarily his best killmove, because it has so much range. Just space it correctly.

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
Practice your edge guards, that's where Villager really stands out. Off stairs n-airs, mix up bowling balls, though those get predictable fast.
Also do you use customs? If so, which?

Last edited:

Keftii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keftii
3DS FC
3368-3629-0323
As a zoning character you should also learn your opponents patterns and punish especially at kill percents,small things like looking at how he reacts to loid. You can maybe oberserve him always jumping over it, a mind game would be to never punish it and leaving him in the feeling that its a safe method,but come the kill percents you will catch his jump with an uair,utilt or usmash. Same goes with if he often lands with an attack,pivotgrab or pivot fmash (requires stricter timing and positioning) can net a kill. Spotdodge and roll patterns can also be punished by many ways, running past and pivotgrabbing, fsmash,usmash,utilt,dair,nair etc.
I dont find myself struggling with getting the kill,unless i feel outzoned,which rarely happens and only in certain matchups,like megaman,some tinks,olimars etc. but main killing tools are definitely offstage plays,bthrow and reads in my case.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
edgeguarding with nair fair bair dair and forward smash, lucky triple turnip upairs, the axe, bait for bthrow on the ledge (force them to approach then punish), punish rolls with upsmash and dsmash, tree midgames, lloyd rocket pressure.

calebscorner16

Smash Rookie
NNID
calebscorner16
Up tilt and down tilt are both good kill moves that kill around 120%-140% depending on the character and stage.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If your opponent is offstage, then the bowling ball. If the opponent is on stage, then the bowling ball, still. It is decently safe, it doesn't have a lot of endlag, it has a lot of active frames, and it can kill around 70%. It is kind of like Meta Knight's forward smash, but with less range but more active frames.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Against good players most of my kills come from edge guards and covering ledge options. It's what villager is best at after all.

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
Edgeguards.
Edgeguards.
Edgeguards.
Bair is fantastic for kills around 130 though it's best up close, not when you Bair-ly hit them.
Bowling Ball's fantastic for kills. Getting Bowling Ball reads on lylat/battlefield is why i'm still a sort-of threat in my region.
Axe is great as well.
Dtilt/Utilt's gud around 120-130
If you pocket a prjectile, you might be able to link in to a kill move like a fair, bair, or link in more moves like D-throw, etc.
Enjoy the killagering.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
Gimping recoveries with your Nair is highly effective on two levels:
1 - it gimps your opponent's recovery and they have to re-assess their options.
2 - it annoys your opponent quite a bit and you can Stagger them that way. If your opponent is losing emotionally or mentally, they will lose the match.

Top Bottom