• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kill strategy with Inkling ?

Nyubi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2778-3020-7519
Hay, I'm kinda struggling to kill people with Inkling,

I guess you could just use a smash move but they feel so slow and I feel like they rely on prediction and reading what the enemy is going to do
so I can't rely on them really as a good way for finishing enemys.:ultinkling:

I'm really sorry if that is a noob question but I try to improve and feel like I need to ask that :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
One that I see often in tournaments is Ink Roller -> Up Smash. It's guaranteed if you can get it before they mash out, but if they're waiting for it, landing the Ink Roller can be hard.

Also edge guarding with Splat Bombs is hilarious.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
One that I see often in tournaments is Ink Roller -> Up Smash. It's guaranteed if you can get it before they mash out, but if they're waiting for it, landing the Ink Roller can be hard.

Also edge guarding with Splat Bombs is hilarious.
I find up smash unreliable to kill. F smash is a much stronger option.

D

Deleted member

I find up smash unreliable to kill. F smash is a much stronger option.
Depends on percent and where you are on the stage. Up-Smash is pretty reliable anywhere as long as you can get a quick charge in, while Forward will only kill if you're near the edge or at really high percents in my experience. If you can bury with roller by the edge and they're above 80% or so, then yeah, Brush seems to be a more reliable kill, and if it doesn't kill, it sets up edge guard shenanigans with Splat Bombs, F-Air and D-Air.

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
Hope this one has more ideas. So far, I've only been able to consistently get kills with three things: Splat Roller -> U-smash or F-smash depending on location, the booyah, and people just noobing how they respond to Splat Bombs off stage.

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
Back throw kills post ~120% at the ledge.

On the top platform on Battlefield up throw to up air kills before 120%.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I've gotten more KOs with Fsmash in neutral than seems reasonable, just because it has more range than Inkling's normals and can catch people out of a dash dance (or to punish things like a heavy or swordie's tilts). Landing a grab or a roller seem like they're almost necessary for setting up kills, be that up throw -> up air (which is a true combo that kills on certain characters at certain %s, but I haven't played around with it enough to know much more than that), or roller -> Fsmash/Up Smash. That being said... Inkling does a great job of getting incidental kills by just leaning into Ftilt, Fair, and especially Bair a bit more as %s get higher. If you're ahead and find that you can keep getting free % by playing safe against someone at 100%, it's not wrong to just land more ink and combos to put them firmly in "dies to everything" ranges, if you must. If they're anticipating rollers and grabs and Fsmashes, going for Nair combos and neutral B to get a stray kill off of Ftilt or something doesn't feel too bad. Oh, and also remember that splat bomb can definitely kill at higher %s, as can Fair/Bair near ledge, of course.

Ultimate's weaker defensive options feel like there's less need to necessarily set up one's kills, though-- especially since a lot more normals feel to double as high % kill options. Not sure I've seen any stocks lasting past 140%, and passing 120% feels somewhat rare anyways, whereas in Smash 4 I might see 180% regularly if I had no specific setup. That being said, I think "get stage control" is a great wa to set things up, as it means incidental KOs with moves that won't normally kill are just that much easier.

Fsmash, often from pivots or roller, definitely feel like the source of most non-ledgetrap KOs I see, though.

Tenuity

Smash Rookie
On certain characters fsmash is better out of roller than upsmash

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Up smash? I always use forward smash after roller.
It depends on the stage, character and position.

FSmash will connect with every character, but Usmash won't. Refer to the list. Secondly, if you are playing against a character where USmash will connect, then you have to look at what stage you are on vs the weight of the character. Battlefield has a higher ceiling than FD, so if you are closer to to the edge on BF, then it makes more sense to FSmash. If you are closer to the center on FD then it makes more sense to USmash.

Most heavy weights don't have the best recovery (excluding DDD) so FSmash is usually better, unless you want to try and follow with UAir.

Hyjacked

Smash Rookie
In addition to the roller->smash setups above, Uair kills at high percents, Dair spikes, Up-B has a hitbox that can gimp people, Bthrow kills on the ledge. I think I've killed with utilt a few times at 150%+ as well.

InfinitySoul

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to the new Ultimate birdy knockback, every character can chase up with an Uair and kill easily at 150+

Lack of run through pivot grab make it hard to Bthrow at the ledge, the only time I land it is if the opponent messes an option. Tho we can run under aerials and pivot grab as inkling.

If you grab the opponent at high %, do you Fthrow or Dthrow ?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
In addition to the roller->smash setups above, Uair kills at high percents, Dair spikes, Up-B has a hitbox that can gimp people, Bthrow kills on the ledge. I think I've killed with utilt a few times at 150%+ as well.
Maybe it is just me, but actually landing Uair is really difficult. Which is a shame because Uair kills are stylish.

Top Bottom