• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kill setups for Roy

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
One of the biggest problems I have with Roy or in general is actually ending the stock. I can rack up damage fairly easily, but actually killing the opponent is where I struggle. I feel like I fish for the fsmash too hard and that results in me being punished hard, or worse, losing the game. The only kill setups I know are; dthrow, then read airdodge, and weak hit SHFF utilt then fsmash. What are some other kill setups for Roy? On the side note, is it better to approach with SH Nair or SHFF Nair?

Dj9000

Smash Rookie
It's not a true combo, but most people fall for it. Try a jab (sweetspot) and then run towards the opponent and JC U-smash. If they airdodge, and you can read the air dodge, charge it a bit. If they jump, they often get caught. If they tech roll, you're pretty safe usually. Only throw it out when you're pretty certain you'll get it otherwise they'll DI it and escape. I like going for it around 80-100%, depends on character weight and your rage

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
From about 100% (depending on rage) you can often get away with a sweetspotted side tilt out of a shield or spot dodge. It comes extremely quick and the sweetspot is easy to hit.

TheClamFace

Smash Rookie
NNID
someperson
An approaching FF Sourspot upair into up-tilt works, although you'll get punished if they shield. Jab to nair/fair can kill and so does jab to blazer. Jab to blazer starts connecting before it will start killing (basically it's harder to land at the standard kill percentages), but if you get it off a platform like in Dreamland it'll kill during the percents it will connect reliably.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
To add to the jab->blazer; at kill percents it will barely connect but it is a true combo at certain percents given that you angle it forward and the opponent doesn't DI. Also, blazer out of shield is a very strong option to punish the opponent. Blazer can pretty much challenge any aerial so I strongly suggest getting comfortable with using it, as at kill percents it shuts down a lot of options for a lot of characters. Battlefield and other places with platforms can make it harder to punish if you're that worried about it. Be very mindful though, because an opponent that knows the MU will know that shield shuts down Roy's kill potential (at that point get the grab and try to punish the landing with bair or utilt for the kill).

Noble6Gabe

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teamrocket78
Switch FC
SW-6716-5953-6975
Between 90 to at least 100%, depending on the weight of the character and your percentage, you could do down-throw to up special which would have a better chance at killing

The Mains::4falcon::4feroy::4mario::4cloud:
Secondaries::4drmario::4sheik::4mewtwo:
Lab::4yoshi::4sonic:

Last edited:

IcyWind

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tenshiiicywind
I've had the most luck with baiting out the airdodge with shorthop f/nair and going for the up B/fsmash depending on where they land

Zi^

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
3DS FC
2767-0988-1706
Shorthop Sourspot Up Air to grounded Blazer is actually a true combo at kill percents.
EDIT: already mentioned.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Here's what I've found to be fairly practical in a tournament environment, against skilled opponents that aren't just gonna stand there and take it.

Out of Neutral:
You have a few options here. If you catch your opponent in a situation where they have to shield, and they aren't playing a character with a very fast, high range up b (like Marth etc), then if you land behind them with a falling up air, hitting with the back part of the move, you can combo this into many different moves, including back air which will kill. By landing behind them with this move, you are safe from anything but non-grab OOS options. So as long as their upsmash or up b doesn't hit super far behind them it's safe to go for this. Further, you can space out the first hit of nair which will combo into lots of fun stuff like ftilt, utilt, dsmash, up b etc.

You can also use your d throw to bait out airdodges if you condition your opponent to do so beforehand, which you can punish VERY hard with fsmash to get extremely early kills near the edge. Excellent way to end a long tech fthrow tech chase, opponents are much more likely to try to airdodge a dthrow after 3 or so fthrows.

Other than this, jab is often DI'd non-optimally due to the move being relatively quick and/or your opponent trying to DI in near the ledge instinctively to try and survive. It's extremely easy to simply react to bad DI at kill percents with a Blazer. There is no reason to ever just buffer the up b after the jab, there's more than enough hitstun. If they DI properly, just do the next best thing and fair them. But make sure you don't miss your chances for easy kills with the up b in these situations.

During a tech chase/reading their getup option:
Nair hit 1 is more practically used here imo. Any time you have your opponent OTG, you can chase and respond to their get up option with nair hit 1 (sweet) to secure your kills with little risk. Yeah, you can always get a read with fsmash or whatever, but this is often much safer, since the punishment for missing is usually nothing but being back in the neutral stance.

For example, I fthrow Bayonetta at 80 percent. My opponent DI's away because he's been doing this to avoid followups from dthrow and fthrow, and now he can't jump away and must tech. I chase and short hop when they near the ground, and throw a landing nair1 out to cover the missed tech option. Because my opponent is bad, he missed his tech and i hit with nair1, and confirm into dsmash. As luck would have it, I'm near the edge on a small stage and this KO's my opponent. Or if they're 115+ just do up b instead of dsmash. Situations like this tend to pop up a lot when you make your opponent tech. Try it out.

Also, when you have your opponent under pressure, make sure you don't do anything super laggy. As long as you stick to moves like ftilt, jab, dtilt, nair and fair when poking at your opponents shield, you will always have ample time to teach them a lesson with up tilt if they get scared and roll behind you, or to dash forward and grab/attack whatever if they spot dodge or try to run away.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Fthrow -> JC Usmash, air dodge is the only way to avoid it but if you read it just charge up a bit.

Falling Nair 1 -> Dsmash/Utilt/Ftilt are all true, and pretty reliable. But watch out because this is NOT safe on shield.

Dtilt -> Dash attack is pretty solid too, because the tech window is really short. It doesnt kill as well though.

When i use roy in tournament, most my KOs come from raw Usmash, it comes out really fast and has a large hitbox. It also kills pretty early. Apply pressure, and when your opponent makes a mistake; run up and JC Usmash them.

Good luck!

XX88

Smash Rookie
One of the biggest problems I have with Roy or in general is actually ending the stock. I can rack up damage fairly easily, but actually killing the opponent is where I struggle. I feel like I fish for the fsmash too hard and that results in me being punished hard, or worse, losing the game. The only kill setups I know are; dthrow, then read airdodge, and weak hit SHFF utilt then fsmash. What are some other kill setups for Roy? On the side note, is it better to approach with SH Nair or SHFF Nair?
a good kill combo with Roy is a Nair, but only let the first attack hit(so they barely get knocked back) then follow up with a upB.

it depends on what type of weight the character you're fighting has. so ill sum it down to the type of weights

*minimal numbers only*

Super Heavy Weights:Minimal Percent is 127%

Heavy Weights:Minimal Percent is 123%(122% depending on the spot)

Medium Weights:Minimal Percent is 113%

Light Weights:Minimal Percent is 103%

Floaty's(Jigglypuff,and Mewtwo only):Minimal Percent is 87%(for jigglypuff)and 98%(for mewtwo)

if this combo's to hard to pull off for you just let me know.(cuz lets be honest, pulling off the combo is hard af to do sometimes)

ROY'S OUR BOY

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
yep, that's a nair 1 combo. Here are some more:

Top Bottom