• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken vs Camping

For the life of me, I cannot get in on campy play. Faced a Duck Hunt Dog earlier that made me feel like I just shouldn't play this character altogether. I know playing vs camp isn't really much fun with any character, but it feels literally impossible to deal with as Ken. Does anyone have any insight as to how we're supposed to play these kind of players? Is it just this match-up that feels impossible?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Matchups against campy characters while playing as Ken/Ryu can be irritating and at times feel unbearable. Thankfully, Ken/Ryu have some unique movement options like FA dash cancels to aid this problem. This tech doesn’t make it a ton easier by any means, but just try to keep your movement in the air solid with FA mixups, block/perry as many projectiles as you can while grounded, and don’t be scared to step back and just see the attack patterns the opponent uses. When you find out what the opponent does on reaction, you can counter play.

Utilizing these techniques in these tougher matchups won’t be a magic solution for every time, but it will help greatly. While fighting these campy fighters, it’s easiest to just feel like your going up against a range attack. Remember that you’re playing against a person and study them.

Matchups against campy characters while playing as Ken/Ryu can be irritating and at times feel unbearable. Thankfully, Ken/Ryu have some unique movement options like FA dash cancels to aid this problem. This tech doesn’t make it a ton easier by any means, but just try to keep your movement in the air solid with FA mixups, block/perry as many projectiles as you can while grounded, and don’t be scared to step back and just see the attack patterns the opponent uses. When you find out what the opponent does on reaction, you can counter play.

Utilizing these techniques in these tougher matchups won’t be a magic solution for every time, but it will help greatly. While fighting these campy fighters, it’s easiest to just feel like your going up against a range attack. Remember that you’re playing against a person and study them.
I appreciate the reply, thanks. I'll try to be a bit more patient vs DHD especially and maybe incorporate rolls a bit more too rather than always trying to run in or jump over his attacks.

Top Bottom