• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Masters or Akuma?

Who'd make a better Ryu Echo?

• Ken, Ryu and Akuma are way too cliché.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • AKUMA! We need more badass Villains!

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Why not both?

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
After the spectacular recent Direct, my hunger/desire for suitable Echo fighter has reached an all time high. Seeing as Street fighter is pretty much the OG and King of clone fighters, implementing another user of the Ansatsuken, is a No brainer at this point.

But who do you prefer? Cast your Vote and post your Opinion/Reasoning down below!

Ken as an Echo for sure. Akuma though... was his moveset different from Ryu and Ken? My Streetfighter knowledge is pretty rusty after all those years...

Anyways, why not both? That was my answer to the poll because if Marth can have two echo figthers so can Ryu!

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Fr
Ken as an Echo for sure. Akuma though... was his moveset different from Ryu and Ken? My Streetfighter knowledge is pretty rusty after all those years...

Anyways, why not both? That was my answer to the poll because if Marth can have two echo figthers so can Ryu!
From what I remember, (haven't played a single street fighter game yet, but heard quite a lot from other sorces, seeing as it is pretty much the grand gran-daddy of Fighting games, so you're bound to know SOMETHING) Akuma practises a more viscous variation of this style. ( Satsui no hado or something?) He does have have a quite a few different variations of moves ( he should use the Shun Goku Satsu for his Final Smash though) similair to Falco's own style from Fox, but not enough to be considered/warranting a semi- clone Status like Wolf and Ganon.

Speaking of which, Ganon and Akuma look like the would be best buds/bros, getting along pretty fine, there's a good reason, why PM made an Akuma skin for Ganon ;)

Fr

From what I remember, (haven't played a single street fighter game yet, but heard quite a lot from other sorces, seeing as it is pretty much the grand gran-daddy of Fighting games, so you're bound to know SOMETHING) Akuma practises a more viscous variation of this style. ( Satsui no hado or something?) He does have have a quite a few different variations of moves ( he should use the Shun Goku Satsu for his Final Smash though) similair to Falco's own style from Fox, but not enough to be considered/warranting a semi- clone Status like Wolf and Ganon.

Speaking of which, Ganon and Akuma look like the would be best buds/bros, getting along pretty fine, there's a good reason, why PM made an Akuma skin for Ganon ;)
Lol! Akuma is probably one of the 2 Gerudo males in Hyrule history :p

I played a lot of Street Figther II back in the snes days, Ryu and Ken were practically the same so perfect for an echo. Akuma appeared in a later version of Street Fighter II, Omega Giga Turbo Blast i think (just kidding, it was just Turbo)

I'm pretty confident we'll see Ken before release. Dropping echo figthers here and there doesn't seems too much of a problem for nintendo (i mean no balancing issues, create a moveset and such). It's almost like an enhanced new skin for an existing character.

From what we've seen so far, they like dropping a few characters at a time and these days they tend on giving us vilains so it's possible we see Akuma or another Street Figther baddy.

M. Bison would be great too, he was kind of the main vilain (as far as story goes in snes fighting games anyway).

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Lol! Akuma is probably one of the 2 Gerudo males in Hyrule history :p

I played a lot of Street Figther II back in the snes days, Ryu and Ken were practically the same so perfect for an echo. Akuma appeared in a later version of Street Fighter II, Omega Giga Turbo Blast i think (just kidding, it was just Turbo)

I'm pretty confident we'll see Ken before release. Dropping echo figthers here and there doesn't seems too much of a problem for nintendo (i mean no balancing issues, create a moveset and such). It's almost like an enhanced new skin for an existing character.

From what we've seen so far, they like dropping a few characters at a time and these days they tend on giving us vilains so it's possible we see Akuma or another Street Figther baddy.

M. Bison would be great too, he was kind of the main vilain (as far as story goes in snes fighting games anyway).
Ehhhhhh, I find Bison's design and moveset a bit bland and clichè, to be frank. If there was gonna be any other rep with a distinguished moveset, I'd either go with Chun-Li (we also have a distinct lack of females, though not as bad as the contrast between villains and heros) or Guile. If I had to choose just one, I'd have to pick the later for a couple of reasons;

1) "Guile's theme goes with everything" (though they might still include it anyway, but not him)

2) I really dig his Moveset and overall style and flair the most. Also we need at least one positive and cool use/example for the term
SOOOOONNNICCCC BOOOOOOOOOOOOMM in a game to wash out the bad taste, by-you-know-what ;/

3) This would be the closest and most satisfying way of playing Major Stroheim in a worthwhile beloved Title, as ironic as it is
( The character from Jojo's bizarre adventure, who Guile happens to be inspired by, at least appearance wise).

Last edited:
Ehhhhhh, I find Bison's design and moveset a bit bland and clichè, to be frank. If there was gonna be any other rep with a distinguished moveset, I'd either go with Chun-Li (we also have a distinct lack of females, though not as bad as the contrast between villains and heros) or Guile. If I had to choose just one, I'd have to pick the later for a couple of reasons;

1) "Guile's theme goes with everything" (though they might still include it anyway, but not him)

2) I really dig his Moveset and overall style and flair the most. Also we need at least one positive and cool use/example for the term
SOOOOONNNICCCC BOOOOOOOOOOOOMM in a game to wash out the bad taste, by-you-know-what ;/

3) This would be the closest and most satisfying way of playing Major Stroheim in a worthwhile beloved Title, as ironic as it is
( The character from Jojo's bizarre adventure, who Guile happens to be inspired by, at least appearance wise).
Good points. Fair enough for Bison, i just thought storywise (again as far as story goes in snes fighting games) it would be the most likely.

But there's so many good choices, i wouldn't want to be the one taking the final decision (too much pressure).

Anyway, i think you are on a good track here with Ken and Akumadorf.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I want Akuma the most, he was my main in USF4 and his merciless style would be more interesting as an echo than Ken. However, since day 1, Ken has been the echo fighter. so I know what choice is to be made.

Echo aside though, Blanka would be pretty cool to see.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't really think Ryu needs an Echo, but if we're going to give him one ... Dan Hibiki.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Honestly, we could have both. Not sure I have seen a character get two echo fighters, so maybe Ken can be an echo and Akuma can be more unique, but only if it is possible, which it could be.

Honestly, we could have both. Not sure I have seen a character get two echo fighters, so maybe Ken can be an echo and Akuma can be more unique, but only if it is possible, which it could be.
I thought Chrom was an echo of Marth after seeing the direct (making him the 2nd with Lucina). Then i thought he was Ike's echo. Then i was confused :p

Akuma could be an echo'ish' like Chrom but realistically i think only Ken will make it into Ulitmate (as a pure echo as he always was).

Iridium

Smash Hero
I thought Chrom was an echo of Marth after seeing the direct (making him the 2nd with Lucina). Then i thought he was Ike's echo. Then i was confused :p

Akuma could be an echo'ish' like Chrom but realistically i think only Ken will make it into Ulitmate (as a pure echo as he always was).
I'm honestly wondering what they would do with Akuma's model. He most likely would be noticeably taller than Ryu, although that doesn't mean he can't use Ryu's animations. Perhaps Chrom is taller than Roy, so it doesn't matter, but that has been on my mind for a little while now.

I'm honestly wondering what they would do with Akuma's model. He most likely would be noticeably taller than Ryu, although that doesn't mean he can't use Ryu's animations. Perhaps Chrom is taller than Roy, so it doesn't matter, but that has been on my mind for a little while now.
I guess now that they have shrinked the hell out of Ridley anything is possible :)

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Pretty simple, just do the reverse of PM and give Akuma's Ganon's model, but move swap hack Ryu's moveset onto him.

I wonder if anyone could try this for fun in Sm4sh, just to see how it would look like.
If it doesn't already exist.......

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Akuma as an echo would be too inaccurate. He's supposed to be balanced around low health and being more flexible than Ryu.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Akuma as an echo would be too inaccurate. He's supposed to be balanced around low health and being more flexible than Ryu.
Do Echo fighters specifically have to/by definition share the same weight, mobility, speed power and other attributes as such?

I mean I could include; "Making Akuma a Semi clone", if people want me to. Akuma would just have lower weight, and more fall speed to simulate what you suggested.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Do Echo fighters specifically have to/by definition share the same weight, mobility, speed power and other attributes as such?

I mean I could include; "Making Akuma a Semi clone", if people want me to. Akuma would just have lower weight, and more fall speed to simulate what you suggested.
Well Dark Samus has the same fall speed and roll (even if they look different) as regular Samus, so the answer, for now anyway, is yes. Not power though, attack properties are where the main differences lie, whether they look different or not.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna vouch for both, Ken is my favorite Street Fighter character (cliche I know, but I'm a much bigger fan of SNK and Ken is simple to use and is better then Ryu from style points alone) and the original fighting game clone, and Akuma has the villain rivalry thing going for him and could easily be a low weight character with a lot of good attacks like Mewtwo. And come on, who doesn't want to see the Raging Demon as a final smash?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
For the raging demon alone, I prefer Akuma. Also, Ashura Senku as a roll.
Akuma as an echo isn't really incoherent, as he borrowed many moves from Ryu in Street Fighter 2.

Of course if you ask me, the second SF rep should be Chun-Li, but as an echo... I have a preference for Akuma.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm gonna vouch for both, Ken is my favorite Street Fighter character (cliche I know, but I'm a much bigger fan of SNK and Ken is simple to use and is better then Ryu from style points alone) and the original fighting game clone, and Akuma has the villain rivalry thing going for him and could easily be a low weight character with a lot of good attacks like Mewtwo. And come on, who doesn't want to see the Raging Demon as a final smash?
How do you incorporate the Demon Flip, though? And he'd obviously need low weight, as you said, and faster movement, attribute changes which would disqualify him from echo status based on what I've seen.

You know what I think Akuma is more likely to be? A boss. Since they seem to have special requirements for meeting them, what better way to honor Akuma's legacy as the very first fighting game bonus boss than to have him reprise the role in Smash?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How do you incorporate the Demon Flip, though? And he'd obviously need low weight, as you said, and faster movement, attribute changes which would disqualify him from echo status based on what I've seen.
Maybe make it an exclusive short-hop? Like if you use Dragon-Punch-Jump, you’ll use a True Demon Flip?

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Maybe make it an exclusive short-hop? Like if you use Dragon-Punch-Jump, you’ll use a True Demon Flip?
Most of these really sound like things that could be incorporated as aesthetic changes though, also considering Chrome seems to take a little bit of everything from any Fire emblem char besides Corrin and is still considered an echofighter, this argument of Akuma being too different, while still using his own version of the Ansatsuken style which both Ryu and Ken use, doesn't hold much water any longer, now does it? meleebrawler meleebrawler Especially when taking into account, that Dark samus also seems to have a floatier movement style (perhabs even weight) and is automaticly more viable than Samus, simply due to not sharing her for/backward dodgeroll.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would prefer both, but Ken works more as an Echo Fighter whereas Akuma would stick out more as a clone (ala Young Link vs. current adult Link).

It would be so cool to have in Smash though. Ken is in basically every Street Fighter game and Akuma is in basically every Marvel game, so having them both in Smash as clones/Echo Fighters would be amazing... especially since I'm a Ken main in about half of the Street Fighter titles.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Most of these really sound like things that could be incorporated as aesthetic changes though, also considering Chrome seems to take a little bit of everything from any Fire emblem char besides Corrin and is still considered an echofighter, this argument of Akuma being too different, while still using his own version of the Ansatsuken style which both Ryu and Ken use, doesn't hold much water any longer, now does it? meleebrawler meleebrawler Especially when taking into account, that Dark samus also seems to have a floatier movement style (perhabs even weight) and is automaticly more viable than Samus, simply due to not sharing her for/backward dodgeroll.
ESAM wasn't the only one, and I was talking about Dark Samus' dash attack being more like Samus' dash attack from SSB4 before ESAM made that video. Check some of my posts around the room.

I ended up with 42 frames for Dark Samus' roll. Samus' roll in SSBU from the Samus versus Ridley battle from the 2018 invitational is 38 frames. It appears to have a 10.53% increase in frames on the second roll, however, making Samus' second roll 42 frames. Now, consider in the video that Dark Samus air-dodged first before rolling. It would appear then that the dodging mechanic includes dodge, air-dodge, and rolling as all one and the same, as ZeRo has suspected. This means Dark Samus' roll may just be the same as Samus' roll in terms of frames. It just looks different.
They also fall at the same speed if you look closely at the Lylat scene. Most likely Sakurai only used the term "floatier" to describe how she literally floats in her animations, not describing her fall speed or weight. Sakurai seldom uses terminology in the same way smashers do.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ken makes way more sense. He's pretty different now himself, but he started as near identical and subsequently became more and more different with each iteration/game. Even then, he's still the shoto closest to Ryu.

Akuma's always been a jacked up shoto, for the cost of low health. He's also significantly faster, with his own extra moves like his air diagonal fire balls, demon flip and teleport among others. Him being almost the same as Ryu wouldn't be "Akuma", but you have more leeway with Ken there. I just hope they actually apply some of Ken's signature differences like Tatsu being multihit.

I personally prefer Akuma as a character, but I think I'd rather a Ken echo.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Funny enough, though, if Ken were in as Ryu's echo, this game would actually be the first time he gets Shakunetsu. (I guess he has something similar in SFV, though. No idea if it's actually called Shakunetsu.)

Also, you can easily replace Collarbone Breaker with Inazuma Kick, which is also a two hit standing overhead, so they can functionally be identical in Smash but with a different animation. No idea what you could replace Ryu's j.MP for his uair or donkey kick for fsmash with though.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
The main reason I prefer Ken as an echo instead of Akuma is because we already have Dark Pit and Dark Samus. Even though Akuma is more developed than either of those two, we don’t need echoes to become a catch all for dark characters.

Last edited:

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Akuma is cooler, but Ken is the original echo fighter. Putting someone else over Ryu wouldn’t seem right

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If they add Ken or akuma, I really hope they change the mechaniccs of some of their moves. Like the hurricane kick should catch people for multiple hits, and with a quick tap maybe have them stay spinning on the spot rather than moving forward. Hadouken in air could also be angled downwards instead of going straight, etc. That would be so awesome and a welcomed clone moveset.

GenghisConn3

Smash Rookie
I'd be happy either way, SF is one of my favourite game series and I'd be happy to see it get more representation in Smash. I think overall I'd prefer Akuma over Ken as I can see more tools that Akuma would have to make him stand out more such as his downward aiming air projectiles aswell as the Demon Flip as a possible new Down B (and of course his FS would be the Raging Demon). Though that being said I can also see Ken having some interesting variations on moves such as the input Shoryuken having a fiery motif as well as having it hit multiple times and having the Tatsumaki hit multiple times aswell. I can even see Ken having two final smashes, Shinryuken if he's not next to an opponent and the Shippu Jinraikyaku if he is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom