• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like people are jumping the gun by saying that four Capcom costumes (all of which were included to promote two specific games) means that every single Capcom character stands no chance of being playable. If we had gotten a Dante Mii costume, I'd understand why people were doing this, but as it stands, this pessimism just confuses me.

If anything, I'd argue that Dante's chances seem better now - going into this, I figured the three most likely Capcom characters were Monster Hunter, Dante, and Phoenix Wright.
What about Chun-Li?

D

Deleted member

I find it ironic that despite the wave being Capcom themed, none of the costumes is Dante.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Trolling
Dante is DEAD LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In all seriousness, I don't have to worry as much about Bayonetta 2.0 getting in so I'm FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In all seriousness, outside of my bias, I do hope you can get another chance another day, hopefully in an engine where it's easier to balance Dante's Combos, Sword, and Devil Trigger.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I find it ironic that despite the wave being Capcom themed, none of the costumes is Dante.
No Ace Attorney either.
It's a promotional wave given GnG just released and MH is due at the end of the month which is kinda weird tbh but I guess they really wanted to promote these games in a timely manner. Having them down the line probably wouldn't have worked as well, especially Arthur.

Edit: Ignore the troll btw

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Dante mii costume wave will be Kamiya created characters -> Leon S Kennedy (Resident Evil), Rodin (Bayonetta), Wonder Red (Wonderful 101) and Viewtiful Joe.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Nintendo paid for exclusivity for Monster Hunter Rise and the Ghost and Goblins games. These Mii Fighter costumes were going to happen now regardless of who the pack was. Remember, COVID interfered with their release schedule.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No Ace Attorney either.
It's a promotional wave given GnG just released and MH is due at the end of the month which is kinda weird tbh but I guess they really wanted to promote these games in a timely manner. Having them down the line probably wouldn't have worked as well, especially Arthur.

Edit: Ignore the troll btw
But I do wonder why was it released alongside Pyra/Mythra when Xenoblade of course is not owned by Capcom. Besides the promotional thing that is.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I'm gonna be honest, I'm like, not very certain about Dante's chances. But I do think he's much more possible with Monster Hunter off the table. He's still the most likely Capcom rep in my eyes, aside from Chun-Li which (no offense) would be very boring for me at least from a moveset perspective.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But I do wonder why was it released alongside Pyra/Mythra when Xenoblade of course is not owned by Capcom. Besides the promotional thing that is.
The timing of Pyra/Mythra's release, I suppose. If we get a Capcom character reveal in June or September, it would be unusual to use the Mii costumes in those months to promote games that came out in the previous March.

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
It makes me sad to see this support thread so dead nowadays. I’ll admit I don’t think Dante is all that likely anymore, but I’m still holding out hope for his inclusion! I know I already posted a moveset for him, but I’ve been thinking about it more and came up with a way to implement his Style Changes into his moveset without it feeling too unwieldy. His down special would let him change between the styles and each would give him a new neutral special as well as some kind of additional perk

Trickster: Neutral special is the Trickster Dash, better rolls and dodges as well as a speed increase with the downside of doing less damage.

Swordmaster: Neutral Special is Sword Piece, his sword-based moves come out quicker and if you hold A while not doing any actions it’ll activate a Drive mechanic where any ground-based sword move will have a shockwave come out of it.

Gunslinger: Neutral Special is Ebony & Ivory and he gets Bayo’s bullet mechanic where holding A during his attacks will have him shoot off a few rounds with E&I afterwards.

Royal Guard: Neutral Special is Block & Release, takes less damage and knockback overall but has lower speed, his shield is a little stronger and parrying will add to his Release Meter.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
DMC on Nintendo has been so silent strangely. No word on the 360/PS3 era games being ported for over a year whereas RE got it's ports not too long after the older gen titles. Dante not getting anything at all in Smash is simultaneously dissapointing and weird. Devil May Cry is a game Sakurai has acknowledged as a game that makes you feel like the character and he's good friends with both Kamiya AND Itsuno but yet here we are with nothing, Not even a mii costume at the very least. Matt is strangely silent about DMC and Smash despite openly being a huge Nintendo fan and playing smash a lot (We're friends on switch lol) it's not like even like he's one of those devs that doesn't interact with people because he does openly talk and communicate with fans but when smash is mentioned.....nothing. Maybe I'm in denial...Ok I am in denial but I'm not losing hope just yet. I started Ultimate with my support with Dante and I'm gonna end ultimate with support for Dante.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
DMC on Nintendo has been so silent strangely. No word on the 360/PS3 era games being ported for over a year whereas RE got it's ports not too long after the older gen titles. Dante not getting anything at all in Smash is simultaneously dissapointing and weird. Devil May Cry is a game Sakurai has acknowledged as a game that makes you feel like the character and he's good friends with both Kamiya AND Itsuno but yet here we are with nothing, Not even a mii costume at the very least. Matt is strangely silent about DMC and Smash despite openly being a huge Nintendo fan and playing smash a lot (We're friends on switch lol) it's not like even like he's one of those devs that doesn't interact with people because he does openly talk and communicate with fans but when smash is mentioned.....nothing. Maybe I'm in denial...Ok I am in denial but I'm not losing hope just yet. I started Ultimate with my support with Dante and I'm gonna end ultimate with support for Dante.
DMC4SE is getting ported to the Switch according to this Resetera post from the time of the Capcom Gigaleak. If this is true, it is a bit strange how it hasn't been announced yet.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
DMC4SE is getting ported to the Switch according to this Resetera post from the time of the Capcom Gigaleak. If this is true, it is a bit strange how it hasn't been announced yet.
Maybe Capcom just wanted to have one big new game for the Switch at the time, and considering that Monster Hunter Rise came out very recently, it's very possible we see either DMC4SE or a new AA (or both for a direct that would be here instead of an E3 direct) very soon.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Does this person have any credibility to their name?
I'm not sure on how much credible they are, but Resetera mods can be very strict from what I've heard. I'm pretty sure they'd ban anyone pretending to be an insider.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Zippo, a person who's got an awful track record, isn't banned so that's not really true these days
Oh yeah, I forgot about Zippo. I thought he got banned, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Taking that into consideration, there's no way to know if the guy saying that DMC4SE is getting a Switch Port is legit or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it happens.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Devil May Cry is a game Sakurai has acknowledged as a game that makes you feel like the character and he's good friends with both Kamiya AND Itsuno but yet here we are with nothing
I um, I'm not sure where you're getting any of that info about Sakurai from. I've never seen him once interact with Hideaki Itsuno or even mention Devil May Cry, and believe me I've looked. If you can provide me a source on that I'd love to see it.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
I um, I'm not sure where you're getting any of that info about Sakurai from. I've never seen him once interact with Hideaki Itsuno or even mention Devil May Cry, and believe me I've looked. If you can provide me a source on that I'd love to see it.
Well I guess you only have my word to go off sadly because the FM discord server is where I got it from. I do know the fact Itsuno and Sakurai are friends at the very least because there are images of them hanging out floating around somewhere.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Well I guess you only have my word to go off sadly because the FM discord server is where I got it from. I do know the fact Itsuno and Sakurai are friends at the very least because there are images of them hanging out floating around somewhere.
Maybe you're getting Itsuno confused with Kamiya, the original creator of DMC? Because there are a few pictures of them hanging out.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
It makes me sad to see this support thread so dead nowadays. I’ll admit I don’t think Dante is all that likely anymore, but I’m still holding out hope for his inclusion! I know I already posted a moveset for him, but I’ve been thinking about it more and came up with a way to implement his Style Changes into his moveset without it feeling too unwieldy. His down special would let him change between the styles and each would give him a new neutral special as well as some kind of additional perk

Trickster: Neutral special is the Trickster Dash, better rolls and dodges as well as a speed increase with the downside of doing less damage.

Swordmaster: Neutral Special is Sword Piece, his sword-based moves come out quicker and if you hold A while not doing any actions it’ll activate a Drive mechanic where any ground-based sword move will have a shockwave come out of it.

Gunslinger: Neutral Special is Ebony & Ivory and he gets Bayo’s bullet mechanic where holding A during his attacks will have him shoot off a few rounds with E&I afterwards.

Royal Guard: Neutral Special is Block & Release, takes less damage and knockback overall but has lower speed, his shield is a little stronger and parrying will add to his Release Meter.
You should check out the moveset I made for Dante a long while back. It's probably the most technical anyone's come up with, and in the realm of possibility, but not likely because he would be too much of a learning curve for new players.

Last edited:

Momentary

Smash Cadet
Maybe you're getting Itsuno confused with Kamiya, the original creator of DMC? Because there are a few pictures of them hanging out.
I went digging and yeah I screwed up atleast with the Itsuno images. I got Itsuno confused with Takumi that's my mistake.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
On a related note, the Shin Megami Tensei 3 remaster is adding voice acting, with Reuben Langdon reprising the role of Dante:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
On one hand getting Reuben is better for consistency, but on the other I wish they could have found Matthew Kaminsky so they could complete the authentic DMC2 experience.

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
On one hand getting Reuben is better for consistency, but on the other I wish they could have found Matthew Kaminsky so they could complete the authentic DMC2 experience.
As much as Reuben is Dante and I have absolutely no problems with him voicing Dante for as long as he can, I’d also love to see one of the old voice actors get another shot at Dante at some point.

D

Deleted member

You know what, I would definitely want Dante in Smash just so we can have "Subhuman" while playing as Pichu fighting against Peach, Lemmy or Wendy O. Koopa.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ok I'm sure this has been said million times but please if they add Dante in Smash, let's this be one of his taunt.
1366050496889331716.gif

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

As part of series, a Youtuber is making a move-list for Dante. I missed the start of it (I started watching just before the throws), but it's good to see more people coming up with movesets for him. (given how much content Dante has to work with, I'm interested to see whether or not the movesets that other people make videos on overlap with anything that I've came up with)

Last edited:

Momentary

Smash Cadet
While from a Dante fan standpoint it's really interesting and I liked the ideas on offer, I would be lying if I said this moveset kinda goes against the whole simple mechanics that make it enjoyable for everyone. Having certain moves activate work on certain styles adds a layer of depth but it also pushes away casual players because it's a lot to remember. I think if a style system should be added it should only affect special moves in a similar vein how style actions are mapped to a button entirely seperate from the basic attack button. I'm also not huge on the Dance Macabre final smash because while it could be cool I think there's a lot of interesting attacks and abilities that could work in its stead (Such as working in some of the additional styles or weapons like quicksilver and or doppelganger, Kalina Ann, Cerberus, etc) I also think limiting the moveset to just his basic weapons and Artemis for one move is a pretty weak decision. Dante is known for his huge arsenal and limiting that would be a shame, and yes while Bayonetta does have a strong arsenal that was limited aswell it could be argued that she never actually uses them in cutscenes and a lot of them are optional. Finally the absence of Sin DT is a shame but it's not actually a decision I'm entirely against, I just find it strange he would leave it out due to using DMC3 Dante but then up using the 4/5 iteration of dance macabre.

D

Deleted member

You know what, I don't know which Capcom characters to choose. Either Dante for again add "Subhuman" and also add "Bury the Light" for Smash, or Chun-Li to recreate EVO 37.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
I just wish Devil May Cry Switch Content would be updated for us. Are they planning DMC4? Were there plans and they were cancelled? Almost a whole year of silence. And whatever happened to Itsuno talking about DMC5 on switch? I would think porting it would be almost impossible but I think confirmations of its status would be cool. Im not really mad either I'm just more confused because I have no idea if we will even SEE any more DMC content on Switch at all and some update would be nice to alleviate my concerns.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This doesn't really have anything to do with Dante, but Pinnacle of Combat just gave Vergil a weapon without any basis in the main game.

He has a ninja shuriken which serves as a replacement for the summon swords. It seems to have less setup potential but works more as alternative combo-enders.
Also they gave him Force Edge, which returns to being a "dark" sword and not "Vergil Energy" like in DMC5, and also they improved Lady's legendary moveset.

Top Bottom