• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a small price to pay to have him back, literally. Still beats not having him at all anyway.

Though it is uncommon for a remaster to both have purchasable DLC for older content, and the option to replace some in-game base content with said DLC at will.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well it's not like Dante was part of the original Nocturne in Japan.
And the remaster is based on Maniax Chronicle Edition, the one with Raidou.

I don't think 10 bucks is Atlus' blame. As Idon said, it's probably a similar case to Hero in Smash Ultimate, which in theory was planned for base game but he was moved to DLC so that way they wouldn't need to pay Sugiyama as much money as if Hero was part of the base roster.
So in Dante's case, Atlus probably doesn't want Capcom to get a % of every copy of Nocturne, which would be the case if Dante was part of the base game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No - the Soul Calibur 2 remasters didn't have Link, and previous remasters of SMT3 (one came out in 2008) didn't have Dante at all, replacing him with Raidou Kuzunoha.
Yeah I realized this, especially when let's say Wind Waker HD with the Tingle Tuner (cut for obvious reasons)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Regardless if you own the character or not, aren't remasters suppose to have everything no matter what?
look at NSMBUD cutting down boost mode and some of the gamepad exclusive challenges lol. I don't like how Atlus/SEGA/Capcom is handling this as they're overpricing it for just getting a palette swap when they could have maybe created a brand new sidequest to set Dante apart from Raidou, but I'm also not surprised the only way we'd see him back was over some cheap DLC like this. I doubt I'll get it, I wish it could have been at least priced better for what little it offers, but at least I'm sorta glad they kept this part of Nocturnes legacy in some fashion?

D

Deleted member

Not necessarily. A remaster just implies that the graphics have been remastered.
For a recent example of a remaster not including DLC, look to "Crysis Remastered" not including its "Warhead" DLC
Also you're right, I must've confused remasters with ports.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was going to post that, but I wasn't sure about NateDrake's track record. (I know that the hints for Banjo being in Smash came from ResetEra, but that was a different user)

Though apparently, this is the hidden content going by another thread, so he might just be messing with people:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Welp!

This is the 2020 version of Shinobi's Banjo tease. I'm thinking he's in (granted, I thought Dante would be Fighter 8 or 9 but semantics I guess).

I should get started on my DMC3 playthrough in light of these events.

Pizza for all!

EDIT: And...I look like a goof now lmao! Still thinking Dante is in eventually tho.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Welp!

This is the 2020 version of Shinobi's Banjo tease. I'm thinking he's in (granted, I thought Dante would be Fighter 8 or 9 but semantics I guess).

I should get started on my DMC3 playthrough in light of these events.

Pizza for all!

EDIT: And...I look like a goof now lmao! Still thinking Dante is in eventually tho.
Regardless, I'd say it's worth it to give DMC3 a try. Are you playing it on the Switch, through the HD Collection, or in some other way?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yes, the next DLC character will actually be Nero.
I... don't know how I'd react to that, to be honest, haha

I guess I'd be happy because I like Nero and DMC would get representation, sad because it isn't Dante which should be the pick and incredibly confused, for obvious reasons, at the same time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Regardless, I'd say it's worth it to give DMC3 a try. Are you playing it on the Switch, through the HD Collection, or in some other way?
I purchased DMC3 in the big Switch E-Shop sale some weeks ago. I have it on my backlog and I intend to play through the game. If Dante were the upcoming Fighter, i'd def be tempted to rush the playthrough now is all i'm saying lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I purchased DMC3 in the big Switch E-Shop sale some weeks ago. I have it on my backlog and I intend to play through the game. If Dante were the upcoming Fighter, i'd def be tempted to rush the playthrough now is all i'm saying lol.

DMC3 is in my top 3 action games (it goes DMC5 at number 1, Bayonetta 2 at number 2, and DMC3 at number 3, though DMC5 and Bayo 2 could go back and forth), and the Switch version takes the original game and improves on it. (it fixed my biggest complaint, at least)

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t put too much faith in those insiders (like NateDrake or King Zell) regarding smash leaks, they know how special the smash community is and that if they say something and doesn’t become true, they will harshen them very hard. Sadly, we have the Grinch leak antecedent.

maybe they know something but most probably won’t tell us.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I wouldn’t put too much faith in those insiders (like NateDrake or King Zell) regarding smash leaks, they know how special the smash community is and that if they say something and doesn’t become true, they will harshen them very hard. Sadly, we have the Grinch leak antecedent.

Pretty sure the ResetEra guys didn't believe the leak and ResetEra itself has rules against bull**** leaks

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They're just messing around. I mean, a few messages later Nate quotes Zell saying "The time has come and so have I".

If anything this worries me a little bit because maybe they're messing with us because they know Dante isn't in. Lmao
Seriously now, maybe they know something about Smash (I don't recall Nate or Zell teasing or anything regardind Smash like, ever), but I doubt they would say anything at this point.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
After the whole "I'd love to see Dante in smash" incident, it's best to not read into those types of comments anymore. It is simple "it'd be cool if that happened" wishful thinking.
This one in particular no one should really have paid any attention towards anyway. It's V's VA, not Dante's and not really someone who'd know anything about Smash unless V somehow, against all odds, got a speaking role of some sort.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This one in particular no one should really have paid any attention towards anyway. It's V's VA, not Dante's and not really someone who'd know anything about Smash unless V somehow, against all odds, got a speaking role of some sort.
Yeah, never understood why people was talking that much about that. Most probably weren't DMC fans, because as you said, V isn't really likely to get a speaking role if Dante got in. V would get, at best, a spirit, because all the DMC5 representation I'd expect from Dante would be some tracks or his DMC5 incarnation as one of his alts.

I could understand the drama if the one talking about Dante in Smash was, idk, Vergil's or Nero's VA. First because if someone besides Dante is getting voice lines it would probably be one of these two (plus Lady or Trish), and second because as far as I know Dan Southworth and Johnny Young Bosch are friends with Reuben Langdon.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I could understand the drama if the one talking about Dante in Smash was, idk, Vergil's or Nero's VA. First because if someone besides Dante is getting voice lines it would probably be one of these two (plus Lady or Trish), and second because as far as I know Dan Southworth and Johnny Young Bosch are friends with Reuben Langdon.
Dan also accidentally confirmed DMCV when he shouldn't have so for him there'd be a precedent.

D

Deleted member

So basically, don't jump in the hype culture as usual.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I use to want RE character in Smash but that changed when I played DMC 1 and 3 skip 2. I understand the support for Dante. He needs to party in Smash. Dante character is so awesome and radical extremely dupe hacking slasher demon. Cant believe I slept on the series. If Dante appear in Smash Sakurai might go with the DMC3 Dante because homecoming of the DMC series. In MVC3 Capcom went with DMC3 Dante appearance. It might be the case Sakurai did add the Mega Man 2 version of Mega Man. Who knows its my theory not saying DMC5 Dante version is unlikely I just want to be clear on that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I use to want RE character in Smash but that changed when I played DMC 1 and 3 skip 2. I understand the support for Dante. He needs to party in Smash. Dante character is so awesome and radical extremely dupe hacking slasher demon. Cant believe I slept on the series. If Dante appear in Smash Sakurai might go with the DMC3 Dante because homecoming of the DMC series. In MVC3 Capcom went with DMC3 Dante appearance. It might be the case Sakurai did add the Mega Man 2 version of Mega Man. Who knows its my theory not saying DMC5 Dante version is unlikely I just want to be clear on that.
Well, when MVC3 came out DMC5 wasn't even announced.

But Dante having his DMC3 incarnation as default is likely, it's the most iconic and beloved game of the series, at least until 5, which is the newest one and the more popular one.

Personally I'd rather have DMC5 Dante. The DMC3 design is cool, don't get me wrong, but I actually like the DMC5 version more. Luckily I'm not very worried about this, if Dante gets in I'd be very, very surprised (and disappointed) if Sakurai doesn't give him at least another alt. Considering that Dante had a different design for each DMC game, I think it's a must for him to include at least 2 of his designs.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, when MVC3 came out DMC5 wasn't even announced.

But Dante having his DMC3 incarnation as default is likely, it's the most iconic and beloved game of the series, at least until 5, which is the newest one and the more popular one.

Personally I'd rather have DMC5 Dante. The DMC3 design is cool, don't get me wrong, but I actually like the DMC5 version more. Luckily I'm not very worried about this, if Dante gets in I'd be very, very surprised (and disappointed) if Sakurai doesn't give him at least another alt. Considering that Dante had a different design for each DMC game, I think it's a must for him to include at least 2 of his designs.
I'm expecting an even split between DMC3 Dante and DMC5 Dante, given both are games that left a pretty big impact on the series and on the genre as a whole. The default design could go either way, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Somewhat off-topic and excuse me if I said something similar to this but if there's another "VS. Capcom" title, should they still stick with DMC3 Dante as default or DMCV Dante?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Somewhat off-topic and excuse me if I said something similar to this but if there's another "VS. Capcom" title, should they still stick with DMC3 Dante as default or DMCV Dante?
I'd imagine they'd go with DMCV Dante, given that's his more recent design, as well as being more recognizable to players who hopped on during the DMCV-driven spike in popularity.

D

Deleted member

I'd imagine they'd go with DMCV Dante, given that's his more recent design, as well as being more recognizable to players who hopped on during the DMCV-driven spike in popularity.
Okay how about mix Dante's moveset between 3 and 5?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I wonder if Dante will have most of his iconic moves in every DMC game just like the way how Sakurai did Hero? 🤨

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder if Dante will have most of his iconic moves in every DMC game just like the way how Sakurai did Hero? 🤨
As much as I'd love to see Dante throwing hats at people, using a briefcase as a weapon of mass destruction, and smacking people with a guitar, part of me's expecting that he'd be like Bayonetta, sticking with the weapons that he has in most games (Ebony, Ivory, and Rebellion - maybe Devil Sword Dante instead of Rebellion if they go with his DMC5 appearance)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given how long it's been since DMC3 was revealed and released for the Switch, chances are DMC4 won't be out until sometime next year at the earliest

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, Coyote-A and Ifrit/Balrog should be in there, even if it's for one literal attack.
Coyote-A might be a bit awkward depending on how we manage his specials (I'm personally going Ivory and Ebony, Stinger, High Time, and Royal Guard, so there isn't any room for the shotgun), but I could see Dante bringing out one of the gloves and greaves weapons for some of his attacks. They way I'm doing it, he'd use Balrog for his down tilt, down smash, back air, up air, and the Royal Guard+Release down special.

Top Bottom