• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Recently started Devil May Cry 3, and I'm REALLY enjoying the brutal difficulty. Chose "yellow" as the difficulty. I got killed several times when I first started, but I'm the type of player whom is mentally tough enough to turn failure into skill. I think I like the Royal Guard style the most.

Overall, actually playing the game is way different than watching it online.

[EDIT] Now that I've played the third game along with the first, I want Dante in Smash even more. Lots of people complain about sword users, but I'm certain Dante will bring something new, despite his sword.
Just a heads up that Gold is more reasonable in terms of difficulty. If you continue after dying, you start at the previous checkpoint, instead of at the beginning of the mission, and if you have Gold Orbs, they revive you on the spot instead of sending you back to the previous checkpoint like Yellow Orbs do.

Then again, if you're someone who enjoys the extra difficulty, maybe Yellow's better for you. I just wish that the difference was clearly explained in-game. Glad to hear that you like the game, though, and hopefully it encourages you to look into other games in the series if you haven't already!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Just a heads up that Gold is more reasonable in terms of difficulty. If you continue after dying, you start at the previous checkpoint, instead of at the beginning of the mission, and if you have Gold Orbs, they revive you on the spot instead of sending you back to the previous checkpoint like Yellow Orbs do.

Then again, if you're someone who enjoys the extra difficulty, maybe Yellow's better for you. I just wish that the difference was clearly explained in-game. Glad to hear that you like the game, though, and hopefully it encourages you to look into other games in the series if you haven't already!
I thought Gold was the harder of the two, which is why I chose Yellow. That said, though, I think I'll stick with Yellow.

I've already watched every game online, but didn't actually play any of them until I got a free PC copy of DMC1 from Amazon. I played DMC2 many years ago before 1&3. Because of that, sadly I had a bad first impression of the series. Personally, I consider DMC2 to be the worst in the series. As of now, I just need to play DMC4&5--which I'm hoping get ported to the Switch.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I thought Gold was the harder of the two, which is why I chose Yellow. That said, though, I think I'll stick with Yellow.

I've already watched every game online, but didn't actually play any of them until I got a free PC copy of DMC1 from Amazon. I played DMC2 many years ago before 1&3. Because of that, sadly I had a bad first impression of the series. Personally, I consider DMC2 to be the worst in the series. As of now, I just need to play DMC4&5--which I'm hoping get ported to the Switch.
Don't worry, DMC2 is pretty much considered the worst game in the series.

About 4 and 5, I could see 4 being ported to Switch, I don't think there's really a problem in doing it. But DMC5, I don't think the Switch can handle it in a proper way.
If you have a good PC I suggest playing 5 there, you can find keys for the game for 15 or 20 bucks.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah DMC4 will definitely come to Switch sometime, it is a PS3/360 game after all. DMC5 will never work on Switch though, not unless they run it at some ungodly resolution, lower the asset quality a ton, and cap the framerate at 30. I don't see them doing that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Coming by to say that I'm here to support Dante as a possible candidate for this wave of DLC. Given DMC's big resurgence lately, I think he has a legitimate shot.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
DMC4 is a game I can see coming to the Switch later on, though I'm not sure if it'll get new features like what DMC3 got. I do think it'll be the Special Edition version getting ported, though I could be wrong.

DMC5, on the other hand, I don't see being ported on the Switch. This is because DMC5 runs on the RE Engine, which has very high quality graphics that so far works well for the games that use the engine (example: RE2 Remake). The Switch isn't powerful enough to run the RE Engine properly, let alone working.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Don't worry, DMC2 is pretty much considered the worst game in the series.
I think the most fascinating thing I've ever read about this franchise is that despite the existence of DmC: devil may cry and how almost everything in it seemed designed to spit in the face of fans of he original series, fans still agree that DMC2 is the worst game in the series.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've legit never heard anyone like or try to defend DMC2, and after you see the likes of Sonic 06, Megaman X6 or FFXIII (to mention a few poorly developed, designed or controversial games) have its share of white knights, that's sort of an accomplishment.
After the disaster that was trying to get RE7 working on Switch, I'm confident in that neither REmake 2 or DMC5 will ever come out on Switch unless they release a significantly upgraded version of the thing, and even if they do that'll likely be far behind the PS5 or Xbox X series.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
DMC2 is an interesting game, I just did a video about the history of it. It was made in six months basically.
I like it a lot more than DmC because it was at least not made by a mean-spirited, arrogant, and spiteful dev team. And the music is banging at least. DmC had all the time and money to be good but it's barely better than DMC2. You can still kill enemies with pistol alone in DmC.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Switch version of Devil May Cry 3 was updated to fix some bugs - mainly ranged weapons not upgrading in Free Style mode (I didn't notice this), along with a save data bug.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I finished the first Devil May Cry.

I ****ing loved it.
The environments were extremely well-crafted, the bosses were so much fun, the difficulty felt extremely awarding, the voice acting was the perfect level of cheese, and the ending was absolutely perfect and may be one of my favorite videogame endings now.

It was an amazing game and truly an amazing start to this series. Consider me in full support now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I finished the first Devil May Cry.

I ****ing loved it.
The environments were extremely well-crafted, the bosses were so much fun, the difficulty felt extremely awarding, the voice acting was the perfect level of cheese, and the ending was absolutely perfect and may be one of my favorite videogame endings now.

It was an amazing game and truly an amazing start to this series. Consider me in full support now.
Will you play DMC2?
Happy to hear you enjoyed the first one. Welcome to the family, I guess. haha

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Will you play DMC2?
Happy to hear you enjoyed the first one. Welcome to the family, I guess. haha
I’m not sure because I’ve heard it’s terrible lmao, I already have the third one downloaded but I’m skeptical about 2 because of the things I’ve heard and I also know it doesn’t really play any sort of major role in the games continuity (Hence why Dante never acts the way he does again and why we never see Lucia again)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m not sure because I’ve heard it’s terrible lmao, I already have the third one downloaded but I’m skeptical about 2 because of the things I’ve heard and I also know it doesn’t really play any sort of major role in the games continuity (Hence why Dante never acts the way he does again and why we never see Lucia again)
That's okay if you don't play 2. I'd only suggest the game if you're really curious about it and want to experience it for yourself.

Have a good time with 3 :)

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The reason why DMC2 was considered to be inferior to every other game in the series is because the game's development had a bunch of issues. After Hideaki Itsuno took over with only six months left of development and the game being unable to be delayed, the game had to be hastily put together, especially since when he took over as director the game was left in an nigh-empty state. Capcom themselves would rather forget about it. At least things got better with DMC3.

DMC3 is highly recommended, especially since the Switch version added a few features not present in the previous versions.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The reason why DMC2 was considered to be inferior to every other game in the series is because the game's development had a bunch of issues. After Hideaki Itsuno took over with only six months left of development and the game being unable to be delayed, the game had to be hastily put together, especially since when he took over as director the game was left in an nigh-empty state. Capcom themselves would rather forget about it. At least things got better with DMC3.
I put out a video very recently on why DMC2 came out the way it did, but yeah, this post basically sums it up. Capcom were literally not going to let him be credited at first but he did so much that he got credited anyway. DMC3 was an all or nothing gambit, either revive the series and make a good game or quit Capcom. For the longest time it was thought that it was just Itsuno who was gonna quit if they failed, but according to current DMC producer Matt Walker the entire team was gonna quit if DMC3 didn't go well. Hope you have fun with DMC3 Ninty, it's a blast.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
DMC4 is a game I can see coming to the Switch later on, though I'm not sure if it'll get new features like what DMC3 got. I do think it'll be the Special Edition version getting ported, though I could be wrong.

DMC5, on the other hand, I don't see being ported on the Switch. This is because DMC5 runs on the RE Engine, which has very high quality graphics that so far works well for the games that use the engine (example: RE2 Remake). The Switch isn't powerful enough to run the RE Engine properly, let alone working.
You're forgetting a possible DmC:Devil May Cry remastered port also.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
The only Dante-related game I've played is MvC3...

however, he's Capcom's third most iconic character behind Mega Man and Ryu, so I'd definitely be happy to see him in.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The only Dante-related game I've played is MvC3...

however, he's Capcom's third most iconic character behind Mega Man and Ryu, so I'd definitely be happy to see him in.
I dunno about third considering how vast Capcom's cast of characters is, but he's up there.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Think of it this way: if you had to choose a mascot for Capcom, and couldn't choose Rockman or Ryu, I'd go for Dante.

Sure, RE and MH are bigger than DMC, but RE is too "serious" to be mascot material and MH isn't as popular outside Japan.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Think of it this way: if you had to choose a mascot for Capcom, and couldn't choose Rockman or Ryu, I'd go for Dante.

Sure, RE and MH are bigger than DMC, but RE is too "serious" to be mascot material and MH isn't as popular outside Japan.
Idk about that, MH is by far the best selling game in Capcom's history, and that's not only for Japan.
But I kinda agree with you. High sales aren't synonymous of having recognizable characters. If you show a Monster Hunter avatar and Dante to the general gaming audience I'm completely sure they would recognize Dante first, or at least he would look familiar to these people. I don't think the same for the Hunter.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Idk about that, MH is by far the best selling game in Capcom's history, and that's not only for Japan.
But I kinda agree with you. High sales aren't synonymous of having recognizable characters. If you show a Monster Hunter avatar and Dante to the general gaming audience I'm completely sure they would recognize Dante first, or at least he would look familiar to these people. I don't think the same for the Hunter.
I'm pretty sure Felynes/Palicos and Rathalos are more recognisable than the Hunters anyway.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
14:13 for those that wanna see the Smash update
looks like those who thought the start would be something out there like Joker were wrong lol.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
I really HATE ARMS now we have a Long armed Robot witch will make all unfair and broken, Dante has Officially 5 More chances left, i'm still wishing for Kos-Mos as well.....

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Dante's still the most likely third party, IMO, if not the most likely character period.

We'll just have to wait and see -- if the ARMS character is springman, then Rex & Pyra might end up being a lock (as much as I hate that).

D

Deleted member

Just got done with Devil May Cry 5. My only exposure to the series was UMVC3 and a let's play of Devil May Cry 1, but I liked what I saw enough to give it a spin.

Great ****ing game. Fun combos, lively graphics, great soundtrack, likable characters, it's got everything but a playable Vergil.

Dante's sick as Hell so I'd be down with him for Smash. That's all I gotta say.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Just got done with Devil May Cry 5. My only exposure to the series was UMVC3 and a let's play of Devil May Cry 1, but I liked what I saw enough to give it a spin.

Great ****ing game. Fun combos, lively graphics, great soundtrack, likable characters, it's got everything but a playable Vergil.

Dante's sick as Hell so I'd be down with him for Smash. That's all I gotta say.
Wait until the Special Edition on next gen consoles -- it'll add playable Vergil and probably bloody palace co-op (the engine supports co-op; it's been modded in on P.C.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Wait until the Special Edition on next gen consoles -- it'll add playable Vergil and probably bloody palace co-op (the engine supports co-op; it's been modded in on P.C.
Vergil so OP he needs next gen systems so he can be playable

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's a bit sad Vergil wasn't a base game unlockable or a DLC. I guess we will have to wait for a Special Edition, I guess they could release as a launch game for next gen consoles.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's a bit sad Vergil wasn't a base game unlockable or a DLC. I guess we will have to wait for a Special Edition, I guess they could release as a launch game for next gen consoles.
That would be ideal.

What better way to show off new hardware than to bring one of the flashiest characters to the true next gen experience?

Also it'll help with the long load times, Jesus.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmmm

Would anyone else be down for Dante & Vergil as Ryu/Ken esque echoes, with movesets based on DMC4 -- their most similar incarnations?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hmmmm

Would anyone else be down for Dante & Vergil as Ryu/Ken esque echoes, with movesets based on DMC4 -- their most similar incarnations?
I would be okay I guess. Vergil as an echo fighter doesn't make a lot of sense if we talk about being faithful, his fighting style is very different from Dante's. But it's not like having 2 DMC reps seems likely, so I'd take that.

But yeah, a Ken treatment would be the better scenario for Vergil because a second DMC character, even if it could happen in the next game and assuming Dante's in the pass, seems super unlikely.

Top Bottom