• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Dante would be perfect for smash! He's one I'd really love to see

And Capcom seriously would need to add Ryu/Nina to a vs Capcom game

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm playing through this version in Free Style mode (they let you choose between Original and Free Style when you start the game) - looking forward to this!

It's been a while since I played DMC3, but I definitely prefer DMC3 Dante over his DMC1 incarnation. (I know some people prefer how Dante was in DMC1, but I prefer it when Dante is clearly having as much fun as the people who are playing as him)

Edit: I'm trying to use the styles that I didn't use as much in my original playthrough, Gunslinger and Royal Guard, since I can change styles whenever I want. I can't seem to get the Royal Guard timing down, though.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn't bought the game yet, but I will sooner or later. I can't miss DMC3 with these features, and the last time I've played DMC3 was when they ported the trilogy on PS4.

I'm playing through this version in Free Style mode (they let you choose between Original and Free Style when you start the game) - looking forward to this!

It's been a while since I played DMC3, but I definitely prefer DMC3 Dante over his DMC1 incarnation. (I know some people prefer how Dante was in DMC1, but I prefer it when Dante is clearly having as much fun as the people who are playing as him)

Edit: I'm trying to use the styles that I didn't use as much in my original playthrough, Gunslinger and Royal Guard, since I can change styles whenever I want. I can't seem to get the Royal Guard timing down, though.
You're speaking in terms of personality or design?
I prefer DMC3 Dante as well. DMC1 Dante is cool as well. As for designs, DMC5 Dante is the best for me. If he gets in I really hope that his DMC5 incarnation will be there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You're speaking in terms of personality or design?
I prefer DMC3 Dante as well. DMC1 Dante is cool as well. As for designs, DMC5 Dante is the best for me. If he gets in I really hope that his DMC5 incarnation will be there.
I mean in personality; it's hard to say in terms of design, since they're pretty similar, but I think I like DMC5 Dante's design the most.

Also, screw that Cerberus boss fight. I managed to beat it, but it reminded me of why I hated it during my first playthrough. Even in Free Style mode, his attacks seem to do way too much damage compared to the amount of health that you have at the time.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I was thinking that it was odd Nintendo didn't post anything about DMC3. Luckily they did a few minutes ago. The comment section is basically people talking about Dante in Smash and people asking for a direct lol

I mean in personality; it's hard to say in terms of design, since they're pretty similar, but I think I like DMC5 Dante's design the most.

Also, screw that Cerberus boss fight. I managed to beat it, but it reminded me of why I hated it during my first playthrough. Even in Free Style mode, his attacks seem to do way too much damage compared to the amount of health that you have at the time.
Yeah. Cerberus can be tricky at first. I died a couple of times the first time I played DMC3.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm the weirdo who has something for DMC2 dante's design, lol...

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Finally got around playing DMCV, easily one of the best games Capcom has ever made, you can telll this was a product with a lot of heart poured into it.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, in regards to whether a Nintendo Direct might happen next week or not, this announcement might weigh in favor to it happening. Contrary to when the DMC devs announced the three dates in which they would be announcing the new features coming to Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for the Switch, one likely announcement Platinum could be making on this date could be in regards to Bayonetta 3's development (how's it going, or even some gameplay and a release date maybe?), and/or the announcement to the Wonderful 101 remaster. Those two announcements I feel would fit better within a Nintendo Direct, and the 27th being next Thursday, well it seems quite possible.

https://www.destructoid.com/platinum-games-has-major-announcement-coming-february-27-581018.phtml

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I could see a direct next week but I wouldn't be surprised if we will have to wait until march.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
In a perfect world

Dante gets in and represents DmC (1,3, and 5) with his references, moveset, and mechanics.

Vergil gets in and represents MvC (3) with his references, moveset, and mechanics.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat Devil May Cry 3 on the Switch. I'll play through it again at some point (there are some achievements that I want to get, like maxing out Dante's health bar and styles, or beating 100 enemies during the credits), though I'm not sure whether I'll try hard mode or Vergil for my next playthrough.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
In a perfect world

Dante gets in and represents DmC (1,3, and 5) with his references, moveset, and mechanics.

Vergil gets in and represents MvC (3) with his references, moveset, and mechanics.
So in a perfect world, competitive Smmash Ultimate is dominated by motivation.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ok so my friends suggested I play DMCV first regardless and goddamn, what a game. Not sure where I'd put it on in my favourite games of 2019 but it's good ****
While I think that playing at least 3 and 4 before jumping into 5 would be better, 5 is really a good starting point.

DMC5 is my fave game from 2019. By now I've played almost 100h, I think.

I just beat Devil May Cry 3 on the Switch. I'll play through it again at some point (there are some achievements that I want to get, like maxing out Dante's health bar and styles, or beating 100 enemies during the credits), though I'm not sure whether I'll try hard mode or Vergil for my next playthrough.
Didn't know they added achievements. That's nice. Maybe I will 100% the game again on the Switch lol

Vergil and hard mode is very fun, at least for me.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Didn't know they added achievements. That's nice. Maybe I will 100% the game again on the Switch lol

Vergil and hard mode is very fun, at least for me.
They're the exact same achievements that were in the HD Collection, so it's not like it's brand-new content.
Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the Switch ports of the DMC series so far?
DMC1 is the same as it was in the HD Collection, while DMC3 is a huge improvement and (I'd argue) the definitive version of the game. Being able to switch styles anywhere fixes my main complaint about DMC3.

I haven't played DMC2 on the Switch - being able to play DMC1 and 3 without needing to get 2 again was a benefit to these separate releases.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the Switch ports of the DMC series so far?
I'm of the mindset that at least for DMC1 and 3, the original PS2 versions are the best ones. In converting to HD, a looooot of effects and animations failed to make the transition, and there are egregious errors in DMC1. Add on top of that the poor texture upscaling with a sharpening filter that often sullies the art and it does not make for the most elegant conversion. DMC2 ended up being a flawless conversion and from what I've read had balance adjustments added in the HD version so that's something.

That out of the way, I believe all three Switch releases are the best HD versions of the games on the market. No performance issues whatsoever, solid image quality, new higher quality UI, and most of all being able to play them anywhere. DMC3's addition of Free Style mode is very cool, but it feels sort of haphazard with certain techniques still being locked behind certain styles even though they don't use the style button like Wild Stomp. A balance adjustment letting you use those moves at any time would have been appreciated.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, it doesn't look like we're gonna have any leaks. At least for a while. I'm okay with that, honestly.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I'm good with not having any leak but I would love some info from Nintendo

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I decided to play as Vergil on Yellow Orb mode (on the Easy difficulty) to kill two birds with one stone. I'm roughly three quarters of the way through his story mode, and while Vergil lacks Dante's flexibility (and a convenient/easy-to-use double jump - Trick Up works, but it's nowhere near as easy to use or aim), he's still a lot of fun to play as, especially since (unlike Dante) he can spam his projectiles while he uses melee attacks, making it really easy to build up the damage.

I haven't played as Vergil before this point, so this makes me want to see DMC4 Special Edition make it to the Switch even more!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I decided to play as Vergil on Yellow Orb mode (on the Easy difficulty) to kill two birds with one stone. I'm roughly three quarters of the way through his story mode, and while Vergil lacks Dante's flexibility (and a convenient/easy-to-use double jump - Trick Up works, but it's nowhere near as easy to use or aim), he's still a lot of fun to play as, especially since (unlike Dante) he can spam his projectiles while he uses melee attacks, making it really easy to build up the damage.

I haven't played as Vergil before this point, so this makes me want to see DMC4 Special Edition make it to the Switch even more!
Either Vergil's busted outside of platforming or my skills got honed cause I fondly remember beating 3's final boss on Normal with an S rank on my Vergil run, doesn't hurt that the Vergil fights in 3 are the best bosses in the game

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Vergil in DMC4SE is DMC3 Vergil but on steroids. He's suuuuuper OP. It's kinda ridiculous how you can basically win the game just by abusing Judgement Cut End.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While it likely means nothing, Kamiya did say earlier today at PAX that he wants to make sequels to pretty much any of his old IPs.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I could have sworn that they already announced Okami 2, but it gives us something to think about. (and there's one surefire way to get Dante vs. Bayonetta in some form...)

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
You can already do Dante vs Bayonetta in the SMT mobile game :p. But yeah, he wants to work on his old IPs, and Okami 2 has been in the rumor mill for a while.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd love to play a prequel based around Sparda and his war against Mundas.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Seeing Sparda in action could be cool, but honestly I'd rather see the story going forward and seeing what's next for Dante, Nero and company.

About Vergil, he's suuuuper busted in DMC4SE, it's super fun to use but he can wipe out a lot of enemies relatively easy lol.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I always wondered if Dante gets in if Sakurai would get Kamiya or something to help direct his reveal trailer with Bayonetta involved somewhere in it. DMC is no longer his baby but I imagine Itsuno would be cool with letting him do something like that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I always wondered if Dante gets in if Sakurai would get Kamiya or something to help direct his reveal trailer with Bayonetta involved somewhere in it. DMC is no longer his baby but I imagine Itsuno would be cool with letting him do something like that.
I don't think so, I could see Bayo being in his trailer, but I'm not expeting Kamiya to be involved at all.
That would be cool tho, but at this point I'm not even sure if in a hypothetical Dante reveal Bayo would appear, for me it seems a lock but a lot of people also expected some kind of reference to Capcom vs SNK 2 between Terry and Ken and that didn't happen

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just finished DMC3 and my hands hurt like hell.
I had some passing familiarity with the character thanks to the TBFP subreddit, but now that I've played a game of his properly, I'm all for seeing Dante in Smash.
Currently working on Vergil, hoping my save file doesn't crash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If Sakurai won't let me have Resident Evil then Dante is the next best thing.

Add me to the support list.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I just finished DMC3 and my hands hurt like hell.
I had some passing familiarity with the character thanks to the TBFP subreddit, but now that I've played a game of his properly, I'm all for seeing Dante in Smash.
Currently working on Vergil, hoping my save file doesn't crash.
Just don't load a Free Style file immediately after playing Vergil. Close the game and reopen it. If you get the bug by accident, you can fix it easily. The reason that Dante t-poses is because the game thinks he has no weapons. You can fix it by:

1)Dying and continuing (or picking up any melee weapon like Beowulf in mission 14) will get Rebellion back.
2)Getting any firearm (Spiral in mission 10/11 is really easy to get) will get Ebony and Ivory back.

At that point the game should work as intended, but you'll have to recollect the rest of the weapons and they do respawn because the game thinks you don't have them. You can easily avoid that happening now that you know the cause. I have heard reports that this can happen if you load co-op Bloody Palace with Vergil as player 1 and Free Style Dante as player 2, because you have to load a Free Style file to do that. If you play co-op Bloody Palace, make sure Free Style Dante is player 1.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Recently started Devil May Cry 3, and I'm REALLY enjoying the brutal difficulty. Chose "yellow" as the difficulty. I got killed several times when I first started, but I'm the type of player whom is mentally tough enough to turn failure into skill. I think I like the Royal Guard style the most.

Overall, actually playing the game is way different than watching it online.

[EDIT] Now that I've played the third game along with the first, I want Dante in Smash even more. Lots of people complain about sword users, but I'm certain Dante will bring something new, despite his sword.

Last edited:
Top Bottom