• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

D

Deleted member

Still think Dante has a chance for season 2.

He has my support as always!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd say E3 is pretty much guaranteed to reveal one of the DLC packs, maybe 2 depending on how the following direct(s?) go. I think it's very likely it'd be a big 3rd party character or at least someone that could be tagged as more special than your average 1st party, but then you remember Sm4sh had reveals like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, Palutena and Roy before or in between the 3rd parties and it certainly leaves an open door to the possibility of a mix of both worlds.
sakudante.png

No Dante, no 3rd parties, and the last fighter turned out to be another FE character (don't take this seriously).

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I wonder, will Dante be the big third party for fp2? I mean I'm feeling like he's happening but wouldn't he be like the hero of fp2?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I mean, out of the 3rd parties added into Ultimate DLC the only one I'd consider big is DQ, and that's exclusively in Japan, while I wouldn't consider DMC to be quite on the same levels of success as something like MGS, FF or Sonic, I feel he's closer to that than, say, Persona, Banjo or Fatal Fury. But it's hard to tell when we don't know anything on what sort of barriers FP2 will break, if they do get a western rep like Crash or Doomslayer I'd probably consider those the big guests from this time around. Some would say Geno, but besides that I don't think he's happening, he's pretty much just a big thing in the western side of the Smash community from what I understand and not someone that known outside of that circle.
Back to Dante though, I do feel he's big enough to at least be one of the surprises for these supposed big events like E3 or TGA and not something more random like a Direct or a Smash event, so if he's in I'd expect him to appear in one of those.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If the fighter pass 2 will have a similar "structure" to the first one I think Dante would appear as one of the first characters in the pass. That's just me but I feel that if he doesn't show up by DLC 3 then his chances to appear in the second half of the pass are very low.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If the fighter pass 2 will have a similar "structure" to the first one I think Dante would appear as one of the first characters in the pass. That's just me but I feel that if he doesn't show up by DLC 3 then his chances to appear in the second half of the pass are very low.
hmmm I dunno about that, it's true I might be blowing up how much the E3 reveal needs to be "big", but it's very likely we'll get character reveals through nintendo E3 directs this year and the next one, and Dante could fit either one pretty well. We'll have to wait the for the first or second character reveal to make some sort of shaky pattern guessing of what's to come, but for all we know they might balance 1st and 3rd parties more this time around and reveal them evenly as not leave the more tame reveals for last like this time. Right now, I don't feel a Capcom newcomer is as warranted as I did post Terry reveal, but it's still pretty likely until we either see DMC or AA get something like a spirits event or a mii costume.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
hmmm I dunno about that, it's true I might be blowing up how much the E3 reveal needs to be "big", but it's very likely we'll get character reveals through nintendo E3 directs this year and the next one, and Dante could fit either one pretty well. We'll have to wait the for the first or second character reveal to make some sort of shaky pattern guessing of what's to come, but for all we know they might balance 1st and 3rd parties more this time around and reveal them evenly as not leave the more tame reveals for last like this time. Right now, I don't feel a Capcom newcomer is as warranted as I did post Terry reveal, but it's still pretty likely until we either see DMC or AA get something like a spirits event or a mii costume.
Yeah I know, we don't know how pass 2 will be. Maybe with the first character we will have a better idea of who could get in next. It wouldn't be the same if the first character is, I don't know, another third party, or a assist trophy promotion or something like that.
I feel that a new Capcom character is pretty much a safe bet. I honestly don't think DMC neither AA will receive a spirit board as Resident Evil. Maybe some Mii costumes, maybe.

That said maybe I'm the only one but if Dante doesn't show up as a character I would be totally okay with spirits from DMC or a Mii costume for him if it includes a song or something. That's better than nothing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Figured I'd ask because I think Dante will be a 2021 release, how do you all picture him? Never played DMC game and am only really aware of the basic things he can do because of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Figured I'd ask because I think Dante will be a 2021 release, how do you all picture him? Never played DMC game and am only really aware of the basic things he can do because of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.
Well, Dante has tons of stuff Sakurai could use for his moveset. When I say a tons of stuff I really mean it. But if he's in he for sure wouldn't have all his crazy weapons and all his abilities in Smash.
SneakyLink made a very cool moveset concept for him:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Reflecting on Byleth's reveal and playstyle, and recalling the announcement that the Devil May Cry team made on the very same date (in regards to DMC 3), something clicked. This may sound reaching (most likely is) but, Byleth's playstyle, although the character doesn't change stances; the fact that it wields four different weapon types sort of make it seem as if they did change fighting styles mid-fight. The announcement the DMC team made on that very same day was the inclusion of the Free Style mode for the Nintendo Switch's Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition. What I'm trying to get at with bringing these two points up is that... what if Byleth and the DMC 3 SE announcement on the same day were an elaborate hint at Dante coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate later within the Fighters Pass Vol. 2?

Still to this very day, I still find it oddly and conveniently coincidental that after one of the devs was asked if Dante could eventually make it into Smash, they'd say that for that to happen, Devil May Cry should at least release on a Nintendo system, and months later tadaaa; Devil May Cry 1, and 2, and soon 3 will all be on the Switch. AND the constant reminder to tune in on January 16th for one of three updates on Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for the Switch; the 16th being the same day of the Smash Direct (there's NO WAY they were not aware of the Direct streaming that same day). I feel strongly that Dante's coming. This party, will soon get crazy (hopefully). :2gud:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I also think that there's too many "hint" for Dante. Even though they didn't know for the smash direct, the fact that they're making exclusive content for the switch version make me think that there's some partnership going on with Nintendo and Capcom about DMC so maybe it will happening. I certainly hope so.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Don't forget guys, Nintendo choose the DLC characters, not Sakurai. At least for the first season pass, that was the case.

During the last direct, Sakurai said the new 6 DLC characters are already chosen, and that direct was recorded last november, so in case you want to go full apophenia-mode and search for hidden connection between DMC producers tweets and stuff, don't forget those info.

That said, I think Dante have a good shot for the second pass, but for his moveset potential/fun factor and not for any hidden clues around the net.
By the way, I'm still curious to see what are the other 2 news about DMC3 on switch.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Don't forget guys, Nintendo choose the DLC characters, not Sakurai. At least for the first season pass, that was the case.
I'm honestly starting to have doubts on how true this is given how Sakurai was pretty much having fanboy attacks for 3 of the character presentations (and I'm sure that wasn't the case for Joker only because he wasn't in charge of his demonstration), but that's just me putting the tinfoil hat.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nintendo gave a list of characters they would want and Sakurai makes the final decision on whats doable or he feels like doing. He is not forced to make a specific character happen if he doesn't feel like it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey! First time visitor.

I’m here because I renounce the timeline where we got Byleth instead of Dante.

But more importantly, because all the Dante talk reminded me how cool the original trilogy was. (The only ones I played).

Can I ask something? How would you all rank all DMC games? Not sure if DMCV is out yet. But I’m just curious.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hey! First time visitor.

But more importantly, because all the Dante talk reminded me how cool the original trilogy was. (The only ones I played).

Can I ask something? How would you all rank all DMC games? Not sure if DMCV is out yet. But I’m just curious.
DMCV was released ten months ago.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey! First time visitor.

Personally, I'd rank them as DMC5 > DMC3 Switch > DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC2.

I haven't played the reboot, and my biggest issues with the original DMC3 were the absurdly high difficulty in the early game (particularly the boss fight with Cerberus) and the extreme limitations on style switching. The Switch version addresses my problems with the second point by making it so Dante can switch styles at will like in DMC4 and 5, and that should hopefully be enough to address my first problem. (Obviously, I haven't played the Switch version of DMC3, but from what we've seen, it's DMC3 but with some key improvements)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Personally, I'd rank them as DMC5 > DMC3 Switch > DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC2.

I haven't played the reboot, and my biggest issues with the original DMC3 were the absurdly high difficulty in the early game (particularly the boss fight with Cerberus) and the extreme limitations on style switching. The Switch version addresses my problems with the second point by making it so Dante can switch styles at will like in DMC4 and 5, and that should hopefully be enough to address my first problem. (Obviously, I haven't played the Switch version of DMC3, but from what we've seen, it's DMC3 but with some key improvements)
Ah cool. I’ve recently gotten the urge to play DMC3 again. If I had to buy just one for the switch it’d be that one.
Great to hear DMC5 seems to have topped them all too.
At some point I’m going to have to buy 4. Hope it comes to the Switch someday as well.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think dmc 4 on switch is a safe bet but I'm not sure which version.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
yeah, I don't see how the Switch couldn't handle the SE of DMC4, and I doubt it'd get significant additional content like 3 is doing so. No real point to port vanilla anymore.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well i'm not sure, because of the special mode where you fight tons of demons (i don't remember the name) will the switch be strong enough to make it work? Other than that, yeah it would definitely be the special edition.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I suppose they could make some graphical downgrades if it's too much to for the thing to handle, the Switch did have 2 warriors games if I'm not mistaken, and those things are all about having a lot of bodies moving around at the same time on screen.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Switch is powerful enough to handle Legendary Dark Knight as long as the porting team does a good job. Given how crap the ports have been for Capcom outside of DMC though I don't have much confidence in that.

D

Deleted member

Last post here for a while. But you guys rock and I hope the party gets crazy with Dante joining in Fighter's pass volume 2!

Then we can all celebrate with some pizza!

Hoping for the best for him!

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering : if Dante is in the FP vol 2 which pack would be his in your opinion.

Personally I think he would be fighter 6 since he would most likely promote dmc3.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was wondering : if Dante is in the FP vol 2 which pack would be his in your opinion.

Personally I think he would be fighter 6 since he would most likely promote dmc3.
I don't think he would be FP6 to promote DMC3... I mean the game is old, and promoting a port would be weird.
In any case promoting DMC3 would be a plus, not the main reason for him to be DLC of course.

About your question, I think that if he's in he would be one of the first 3 characters in the pass

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Hello there! I'd like to be added to the support list, please! I've never played a DMC game, but I'm looking forward to playing them on the Switch soon. It's pretty obvious Bayonetta (some of the best games I played this decade) took a lot of cues from DMC, so seeing her and Dante crossover in Smash would be insane.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd expect Dante to be somewhere between fighter 2-5 of the next pass should he happened as those are the likeliest to be E3 reveals of the next 2 years (and I guess you could apply this to most 3rd party reveals), between Incineroar and Byleth I hold no hope for the closure of these things anymore haha.
Hello there! I'd like to be added to the support list, please! I've never played a DMC game, but I'm looking forward to playing them on the Switch soon. It's pretty obvious Bayonetta (some of the best games I played this decade) took a lot of cues from DMC, so seeing her and Dante crossover in Smash would be insane.
you probably already know, but there's a good reason for that, the director of the first DMC is the same as the director from the first Bayonetta. It'd be great to see them crossover on a non-mobile game, one of the biggest game crossovers at that.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
It's weird that even though Bayonetta 1 seems to take a lot of cues from DMC1, according to Kamiya he actually took them from DMC4 in his research on how action games had evolved since his original game. This can be seen in a lot of the art direction, even down to how some enemies appear; the angel-like demons in DMC4 and the angels in Bayonetta have extremely similar spawning animations.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So guys, dunno if it's already been brought up but, earlier today a moment of enlightenment dawned upon me. Call me crazy but, well, here it goes. A topic of discussion within the general aspect of the current Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC cycle, besides the potential fighters, stages, etc., have been the Mii Costumes. There are still a few Mii Costumes that have yet to make a return on Ultimate however, there is one specific Mii Costume that upon thinking about, the thought clicked. The fact that this specific Mii Costume is yet to come, increased my hopes for Dante in Smash considerably. The Mii Costume in question? The Rathalos armor set.

Upon looking at the Mii Costume for a bit, I suddenly recalled to what exactly it reminded me of.

Both share similar traits such as dragonic features (Dante's Devil Trigger having wings that could also be comparable to those of a dragon; I know they're demon though), a broad sword, and the element of fire coursing through them (Rathalos Mii Costume's sword, parts of Dante's body while in demon form).

I feel that the ideal fighter to release the Rathalos Mii Costume just has to be Dante (as a nod to his Devil Trigger, AND since both wield broad swords). Oh, and both are Capcom IPs. This party's gonna get CRAZY! :2gud:

D

Deleted member

For me it's not a matter of if Dante is in, but rather when is Dante coming to Smash?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Rewatching Maximillian Doods reactions to Devil May Cry 5's initial reveal and gameplay videos, I saw again the trailer where they promoted the Mega Buster Devil Breaker. In that trailer the DMC 5 team went HAM with recreating a 2D-esque gameplay within DMC 5 with Nero playing as Mega Man. Not only that but the Mega Buster Devil Breaker plays EXACTLY like Mega Man's Buster. At the end of the trailer, you have the wonderful shot of Nero posing exactly like Mega Man's promo art for Mega Man 11. These kind of details that, albeit a few years have passed since then, show that both dev teams are in sync (Mega Man's and DMC's). This, along with the fact that Dante has teamed up with X, and Zero in Marvel vs Capcom 3, AND Project X Zone (1 and 2) also seem like strong and favorable points for Dante's inclusion in Ultimate. Having this opportunity, as well as the opportunity to have Dante and Bayonetta duke it out (or fight in teams :denzel:); the moment is just perfect. I eagerly await for this party to get excessively boisterous. :chrono:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seeing a tweet from the Devil May Cry Twitter account reminded me that we're going to get details on another feature that's being added to the Switch version of DMC3 tomorrow. (or later tonight, if it's like last time) While I'm guessing that it won't be as much of a game-changer as being able to switch styles in the middle of gameplay, I'm still glad that they're adding new content.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think the idea someone brought up of removing the weapon limit that you can bring to each stage would be among the best things they can announce now. Dunno what the last thing could be though, I feel something like a playable Lady would be considered too much work.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think the idea someone brought up of removing the weapon limit that you can bring to each stage would be among the best things they can announce now. Dunno what the last thing could be though, I feel something like a playable Lady would be considered too much work.
I hadn't considered the idea of Lady being made playable before (I figured it would be something minor, like "if you already own DMC1 or 2 on the Switch, you unlock something automatically"), but it would certainly give me more of a reason to play through the game multiple times. (I'm not sure about playing through the game on higher difficulties - I'm trying that with DMC1, and it's throwing mini-bosses at me as regular enemies in one of the first missions)

At least they'd have her DMC3 boss fight and her DMC4: Special Edition playable version to work off of.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While I don't think it's highly likely, Lady as playable character isn't too farfetched in my opinion. As you said, they have her boss fight in DMC3 and maybe they could pull off things from his moves in DMC4.

Top Bottom