• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's probably just the Style Switching.

Will say this though: all three of those dates Matt Walker listed are possible Direct dates. We've a Pokemon Direct this week and one trend people've brought up is that a general Nintendo Direct is probably gonna follow in the coming weeks. January 16 would be exactly a week away from the Pokemon Direct on the 9th, so there's that - we could get more information on what they'd add to DMC3 on Switch by then.

My id desperately wants this to be related to Dante in Smash, but there's realistically no threads to look at and follow.
But why he would mention 3 different days for info if they will only share the hypothetical new features for DMC3 on Switch only one of these days? At least I don't find any logic in that.
I mean, if the DMC3 info will be revealed at a Nintendo Direct, which is really possible, he would know at this point.

When I saw the DMC tweet on Twitter I didn't immediately thought about a Direct, they could drop the new info for DMC3 on Twitter any of these days. It isn't strange seeing companies or developers sharing reveals, features or trailers on the internet instead of showing all that in conferences or livestreams.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
But why he would mention 3 different days for info if they will only share the hypothetical new features for DMC3 on Switch only one of these days? At least I don't find any logic in that.
I mean, if the DMC3 info will be revealed at a Nintendo Direct, which is really possible, he would know at this point.

When I saw the DMC tweet on Twitter I didn't immediately thought about a Direct, they could drop the new info for DMC3 on Twitter any of these days. It isn't strange seeing companies or developers sharing reveals, features or trailers on the internet instead of showing all that in conferences or livestreams.
Could just be that they announce whatever they deem to be the most substantial updates of the port on the Direct, and then smaller QOL changes on YT/Twitter.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Three little extra features. One per day and of course, related to the Switch version of the game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Three little extra features. One per day and of course, related to the Switch version of the game.
I'm surprised at how many people (at least on Reddit and Twitter) seemed to think that one of these would be Capcom announcing Vergil DLC for Devil May Cry 5. That's like watching announcements for the changes made between Ultra Street Fighter 2 and the other versions of SF2, and wondering when they're going to announce a new character for Street Fighter 5.

Hopefully we get on-the-fly style-switching, like what DMC4 and 5 have. That would more than justify double-dipping on Devil May Cry 3 in my eyes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm surprised at how many people (at least on Reddit and Twitter) seemed to think that one of these would be Capcom announcing Vergil DLC for Devil May Cry 5. That's like watching announcements for the changes made between Ultra Street Fighter 2 and the other versions of SF2, and wondering when they're going to announce a new character for Street Fighter 5.

Hopefully we get on-the-fly style-switching, like what DMC4 and 5 have. That would more than justify double-dipping on Devil May Cry 3 in my eyes.
Yeah, I agree.
I want Vergil DLC for DMC5 since the launch of the game that people is asking for that. Doesn't seem that Capcom will do it anytime soon, I guess because they want to keep that feature for a hypothetical Special Edition for the next gen or something like that. I mean, there's data in the game of Vergil as a playable character, if I remember correctly.

People are a bit desperate for that DLC so they associate everything with that. That's my guess.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
One thing that's worth noting is that V's voice actor mentioned that Dante is going to be in Smash:

However, voice actors have gotten this sort of thing wrong before. Reuben Langdon claimed that he would be playing Raiden in Smash Bros., only for it to turn out that he was referring to Playstation All-Stars instead of Smash Bros., and he only meant "playing" him as in doing the motion capture for him, apparently.

So take it with a gigantic grain of salt; it just seemed relevant to the thread.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
V's VA won't know a thing about Dante being in Smash or any other crossover.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
V's VA won't know a thing about Dante being in Smash or any other crossover.
Yeah, probably not; I'm guessing it was just a slip of the tongue on his part, or he thought of Smash Bros. first as opposed to Playstation All-Stars. I just figured I should mention it in case people hadn't heard about it.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well, who knows he could know something since he was working with Reuben Langdon, that's make me think that isn't it weird that dmc 3 will have Nintendo switch exclusive features? I mean dmc 1 and 2 were released like "meh who cares?" but then dmc 3 is coming and suddenly, Matt Walker feel the need to promote the game and declare his love for the switch.

Maybe we'll get dmc 3 Dante in smash?

I know I'm probably overthinking but even tho I thought I should share my thoughts about it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, who knows he could know something since he was working with Reuben Langdon, that's make me think that isn't it weird that dmc 3 will have Nintendo switch exclusive features? I mean dmc 1 and 2 were released like "meh who cares?" but then dmc 3 is coming and suddenly, Matt Walker feel the need to promote the game and declare his love for the switch.

Maybe we'll get dmc 3 Dante in smash?

I know I'm probably overthinking but even tho I thought I should share my thoughts about it.
Well DMC3 is the most beloved game in the franchise, is really popular and is often considered among the best games of it's generation. Capcom knows that but yeah, I was very surprised that the DMC3 port would get some new features. I mean it's a 13 year old game and it was remastered and released in a lot of platforms but they didn't added anything to the game.
New features or not, I think Dante in Smash would bring for sure his DMC3 incarnation either as a default or as an alt.

Walker plays a lot on the Switch, at least that's what it seems from his Twitter.

D

Deleted member

With all these things happening. It would be awesome if this was going to announce Dante for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Don't think it means anything right now.

But it would be cool!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Should Dante get announced next week, not gonna lie, I'm gonna be very disappointed if he doesn't have the Cavaliere.

GreekGamer

Smash Rookie
Dante has always been my "pie in the sky" character and I've wanted him but never thought he'd actually be in. I've been lurking this thread before I made my account and with all this news about DMC3 and the dates to look out for from Matt Walker, I can finally get my hopes up about Dante's chances. Doesn't mean I'm expecting him but the pie is a little closer to the table now.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yo guys, they added official Style Switching to DMC3 Switch.
View attachment 256552
That's awesome, definitely one of the nicest QoL changes in DMC4.
I don't think DMC3 exclusive Switch content means much for Dantes chances, but it'd be pretty fun to see, say, a secret boss against Bayonetta or something. It probably won't justify the rather steep price for a single PS2 game port, but still better than how DMC1 and 2 were treated.

One thing that's worth noting is that V's voice actor mentioned that Dante is going to be in Smash:

However, voice actors have gotten this sort of thing wrong before. Reuben Langdon claimed that he would be playing Raiden in Smash Bros., only for it to turn out that he was referring to Playstation All-Stars instead of Smash Bros., and he only meant "playing" him as in doing the motion capture for him, apparently.

So take it with a gigantic grain of salt; it just seemed relevant to the thread.
I remember Chrom and Layton VA made similar comments back in Sm4sh days, between that and how Smash fans just make the same shallow conclusions that a VA mentioning a cool new project must mean a character associated with them is joining the roster (see Lloyd and Shantae), I can't say I find them to ever be a decent source for speculation.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I imagine that one of the two features remaining will be having all weapons at your disposal, instead of choosing 2 weapons and 2 guns before each mission.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Sign me up for the support list.

I personally don’t think that he is FP5, but so many things are lining up for him to potentially be post pass.

And DMC V was my GOTY last year.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Add me to the support list, please.

While I'm pretty behind on the series (I've only completed the first three games and played a little bit of DMC4), I loved my time with DMC1 and DMC3 and think Dante is a likeable and deliciously cheesy character.

D

Deleted member

Good too see Dante getting more support he deserves it..

Hopefully more come.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I imagine that one of the two features remaining will be having all weapons at your disposal, instead of choosing 2 weapons and 2 guns before each mission.

Yeah, probably. And for the last one I think that it is something Vergil related, like new weapons or style. Or just a new cutscene but that would be weird.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I've heard some people propose a playable Lady, which feels like a really big addition -- almost bordering on being too big for a port of a 15 year old game. I've similar feelings even for stuff like adding content based on making new assets for it, like costumes and such.

That said, they added 3 more characters to DMC4 7 years after its initial release, so who knows?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've heard some people propose a playable Lady, which feels like a really big addition -- almost bordering on being too big for a port of a 15 year old game. I've similar feelings even for stuff like adding content based on making new assets for it, like costumes and such.

That said, they added 3 more characters to DMC4 7 years after its initial release, so who knows?
Playable Lady would be pretty cool, but going back to make such a big addition like that seems wild to me.

If we do get her though, it'd be hilarious we retroactively got Lady playable in DMC3 before we do in DMC5.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I just realize but we could also get Vergil's concentration gauge from dmc4 SE.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, I thought of looking at the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate banner (the one in the main SSBU website), and imagine where would Dante fit in it, considering Bayonetta's placement. I thought perhaps he would be added on the opposite side from where Bayonetta is in the banner, and that would place Dante around where Meta Knight is (although if it'd be opposite in both x, and y axis, he'd be around Incineroar/Wario/Richter). Thinking on it now, it'd make sense for Dante to be placed around where Incineroar is since on the right side of the banner, we have Mega Man, and Ryu as well (both Capcom characters). Ken though would be an outlier since he's on the left side (I suppose to create a "balance" between him and Ryu being on both sides of the banner).

Dunno, just a curious thought. :seuss:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would say near Bayonetta too, but probably near the plant too. Like this if Dante had a pose like this one

5cTNvykgZbZHvBRS5ur8nU.jpg

It could look like he's fighting Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

If Dante gets I hope he and Bayonetta are facing each other.

Or there is some sort of interaction between them.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Dante could be close to Ken as well. Reuben Langdon, his VA, it's also the voice of Ken.
I guess it's up to Sakurai, maybe he doesn't care that much about all the Dante vs Bayonetta thing. I expected some kind of reference for Terry and Ken during Terry's presentation and there was none.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dante's probably coming but I can't imagine soon. Supposedly a voice actor related to Devil May Cry accidentally oopsie doodled Smash and Marvel vs Capcom 4 in a recent interview:

http://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/491996534

(4chan so, uh, language warning)

This honestly makes sense but, from what I've heard, voice work for games is usually done early in development so that the developers can try to match up animations at least to some degree. Animated movies do this too and, Disney for example, has done things this way since like the 1940's. It's usually one of the first things knocked out in any major animation project which is why, for example, things like the Chris Farley version of Shrek exists. What does this mean? This means that, if true, Dante went into development very, very recently which honestly lines up with two of my contacts. Sakurai himself has noted that characters tend to take 10 months to a year to develop which, if this all true, Dante is probably slated for November/December 2020 at the earliest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please add me to the support list, Dante would be amazing in the game. Lowkey hope for a Capcom pack or a Clover/Platinum pack for Ultimate.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Whose is it? Anyone related to DMC at all? Still, it lines up with stuff on my end either way.
For future reference, Dante's VA is Reuben Langdon, the same dude who voices Ken.

OsirisOda

Dark Cloud
Come on now; who threw the biggest pizza party in the forums and DIDN'T invite me?

AqivrAY.gif

D

Deleted member

Please add me to the support list, Dante would be amazing in the game. Lowkey hope for a Capcom pack or a Clover/Platinum pack for Ultimate.
Sadly there doesn’t seem to be a supporter’s list on this thread.

Unless there’s one somewhere else besides the heading post of the thread.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whose is it? Anyone related to DMC at all? Still, it lines up with stuff on my end either way.
Please bro I'm begging you people pretending to have info have been saying this about Dante since the DMCV faked Smash info, the DMC ports and now the 3 port being a definitive edition of sorts, Dante's been a frontrunner for rumours for a while so this won't even fet you clout

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sadly there doesn’t seem to be a supporter’s list on this thread.

Unless there’s one somewhere else besides the heading post of the thread.
I don't do those because that post space can go to something else if needed

Top Bottom