• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I just want to pause and have y'all entertain this thought for a bit.

We know that DMC3 is being ported soon on account of the first two games already being on the eShop.

Imagine -- imagine if you will, the reality where DMC3 and/or 4 are ported/announced on the same day Dante is revealed/released for Smash Ultimate.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eh, I doubt it, weren't the announcement for both DMC Switch ports pretty small? I can't imagine them making a big deal out of DMC3 and 4 unless they made a more in depth remaster of them, maybe if they ported DMC5 but I doubt the Switch can handle that without some major compromises that could really hurt the experience.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we can have dmc 3 pinnacle of combat (I think that's the name) as a dmc3 remaster. Maybe we can have a Dante reveal in the same time but that would mean it would be dmc3 Dante (not that I mind)

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
If Dante gets in, what I would love to see is both his DMC5 and DMC3 outfits appear in the game, with the latter more likely being an alt.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So after that Terry showcase, you guys think Dante would get a similar treatment where he gets some more moves than the average fighter to represent as many weapons as possible?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah I'm hoping he has a lot of techniques from his home games, including stuff like High Time being able to just launch people if executed normally, but also launching Dante if held, etc

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
What would make the most sense for Dante’s stage?
Temen-ni-gru? Underworld/Hell? Mallet Island?

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would say temen-ni-guru or the Qliphoth

Both would be pretty easy to make and the first one is the most iconic stage of all the serie while the other is the most recent choice.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Alternatively I could see the DMC offices in itself be the stage, if they want a more generalized locale of the series rather than something specific to a game.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Temen-ni-gru tower top seems like the best choice to me, it's the most iconic. But Red Grave City (a tour atop the DMC van) seems possible. I didn't consider Devil May Cry itself but it's rather small for a stage.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I’m really hopeful on Dante’s chances because of the Itsuno interview saying how it would be weird for Dante to be in a game like Smash Bros without having his series not be on Nintendo.
Only to then have DMC1 get announced for switch which raised peoples hopes for his inclusion.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Temen-ni-gru tower top seems like the best choice to me, it's the most iconic. But Red Grave City (a tour atop the DMC van) seems possible. I didn't consider Devil May Cry itself but it's rather small for a stage.
can't be worse than the crampbox that's Flat Zone, but I guess they could always take it outside rather than inside the building, you'd get to see the neon sign that way too.
I’m really hopeful on Dante’s chances because of the Itsuno interview saying how it would be weird for Dante to be in a game like Smash Bros without having his series not be on Nintendo.
Only to then have DMC1 get announced for switch which raised peoples hopes for his inclusion.
I'm pretty sure we're getting another Capcom rep and I'm pretty optimistic for Dante, but he has some steep competition from other Capcom characters to be considered a shoe-in for their next guest. At the very least a MH hunter doesn't feel as warranted as I once thought given the devs general indifference to have them represented in crossovers.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Dante’s DMC1,3 and 5 are the most likeliest outfits to consider but which one do u guys think will get to be the default and the alt?

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Dante’s DMC1,3 and 5 are the most likeliest outfits to consider but which one do u guys think will get to be the default and the alt?
Whatever Dante wears in his guest appearances vary. For example, both of his MvC appearances have him in his DMC3 outfit, his Teppen appearance has him in his DMC4 outfit, his Project X Zone and Viewtiful Joe appearance has him in his original outfit, his SMT Nocturne appearance has him in his DMC2 outfit (albeit DMC2 was the most recent release at the time), and his SMT Dx2 appearance has him in his DMC5 appearance when there was that collaboration event.

The way I see it, if he gets in, he could have his DMC5 outfit as his default and his DMC3 outfit as an alternate. Or he could appear in his DMC1 costume. It depends on which outfit Sakurai and his team decides on, as Sakurai would want the series to be represented well, assuming Dante gets in.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
As long as it's one of the three I won't mind, but I like his DMC3 design the most. DMC5's design is probably the most mainstream appealing though.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
“Well, you think about it… I’m pretty sure that they… all the characters in Smash at least have some game on a Nintendo platform, right?” Itsuno said after a bit of a chuckle.
I don't think you say this, then suddenly drop three games throughout the year, without something in mind.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you say this, then suddenly drop three games throughout the year, without something in mind.
And DMC 3 come in February aka the deadline for dlc 5 coincidence? Probably I don't want to be disappointed again.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Out of all of Dante’s weapons, which ones seem the most likely? Nevan? Beowulf/Ifrit/Balrog? Cerberus? Force Edge? Cavaliere? Kalina Ann?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm gonna guess Dante would have a better treatment over his arsenal of weapons than Bayo and not simply stick to Rebellion and Ebony & Ivory (devil arms feel generally more important than weapons in that game anyhow), I'd say a mix of DMC3 and 5 weapons is the likeliest thing to happen as they're the best received games in the franchise as of now. If they pulled something similar to MvsC3 and stuck one weapon per attack then he could have a pretty good chance at using the majority of the arsenal from those games. I'm not too familiar with 1, but I'm gonna guess there's a reason why the weapons there haven't been used in the vs Capcom series (afaik anyhow), and DMC2 is probably forgotten for a reason. I guess Pandora and Lucifer are possible, but Gilgamesh would feel redundant with Beowulf.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I hope they stick to the classics with Rebellion and EnI. Using game specific weapon dates the character and removes some of the timelessness of it and beyond that we have nowhere near the amount of buttons required to represent his most iconic moves AND The weird weapons people like.

Unless he gets inputs, in which case I will be disappointed because I don't like using them, lol.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You could just have a weapons be tied to one specific attack rather than the full arsenal offering a different moveset each. Like, Dante uses Beowulf and Rising Dragon for Up A, Cerberus Ice Pillars with Down A, Kalina Ann's Hysteric as a grab, etc. I don't really like the idea of Dante simply having his base weapons as it feels pretty limiting to the character, and with other heavy swordies already in the game like Cloud or Ike, I feel keeping Dante so vanilla might make him feel a lot less unique than he should.
But I won't be surprised if that what Sakurai and co end up doing, and hey, it won't matter that much at the end as I'd get Dante one way or another should he make it in.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
He should absolutely have the shotgun though, he's had it in every game. I would say the punch weapons too, but we get a new incarnation every time, with only Ifrit and Balrog sharing thematic elements as they are both flaming gauntlets. Whichever design he has should designate which gauntlet weapon he gets, and you could theoretically have both DMC1 and DMC5 Dante as alternate costumes because of that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He should absolutely have the shotgun though, he's had it in every game. I would say the punch weapons too, but we get a new incarnation every time, with only Ifrit and Balrog sharing thematic elements as they are both flaming gauntlets. Whichever design he has should designate which gauntlet weapon he gets, and you could theoretically have both DMC1 and DMC5 Dante as alternate costumes because of that.
Yeah, punchies and shotty are also mandatory as well, but like... the sniper rifle, the cowboy hat, the suitcase... weird game-specific stuff like that? Ehh, that can be reserved for the more in-depth Capcom fighting games, lol.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I always alternate between Dante and Heihachi in my current Top 5 most wanted.
Crash
Doom Slayer
Spyro
Rayman
Dante/Heihachi
But if Dante DOES come, I certainly hope Doom Slayer is next. Demon vs. demon slayer.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I always alternate between Dante and Heihachi in my current Top 5 most wanted.
Crash
Doom Slayer
Spyro
Rayman
Dante/Heihachi
But if Dante DOES come, I certainly hope Doom Slayer is next. Demon vs. demon slayer.
Well Dante's also a demon slayer.
They don't call him "the legendary devil hunter" for nothing.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Man if they added Balrog to his moveset and made Real Impact one of his specials...... JACKPOT BABY

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Hello, recent DMC fan here.

i'm excited about Dante's possibility of being in!

Which design do you think they'd go with for his default costume, 5 or 3?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hello, recent DMC fan here.

i'm excited about Dante's possibility of being in!

Which design do you think they'd go with for his default costume, 5 or 3?
I think they'll go 3 purely on the basis that 5 released sooner than the time-frame they were choosing DLC characters. 4 and 1 might have a shot as being alts, but in general I don't think they're quite as remembered as his DMC3 incarnation.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
3 is his most iconic outfit but I would love to see his dmc5 design at least as an alt.

For his weapons, I would see coyote, ebony and ivory, katalina Ann, rebellion (or DSD), Beowulf, cerberus and either the double sword or cavaliere for his forward special.

The real question is how Sakurai will handle the others mechanics(DT, Style,maybe even his new mechanic from dmc 5 I'm trying not to spoil it )

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I honestly prefer DMC5's look over DMC3, a million times over… I'm also the weird one who liked DMC2 dante's look despite not liking the game at all. DMC1 look also is very nostalgic. DMC3 dante just doesn't appeal to me in terms of looks (in personality he is amazing tho). I dunno, im a weird one i guess lol

Graizen

Smash Champion
BIG News, no one posted this here?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Now with the announcement of DMC3 coming to the switch and Dante being rumored now, I suggest taking things with a grain of salt. Stay away from places like 4chan as there are fake leaks abound and something rarely legitimate could happen there. Dante is my most wanted and I would love to see him within the game's lifetime, but I'm not going to get my hopes up in case someone else is coming. That being said, if he is the next fighter, then VGA's would be the best time to reveal him (then again we had Cloud revealed in a normal Nintendo Direct, so who knows).

Top Bottom