• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprised if his rivaled RE top characters in a popularity poll, but that's just guesswork and not something I've seen polled anywhere noteworthy to confirm it.
From what I've seen recently, Dante is appearing in a lot of guess list/wish list since the reveal of more dlc like he was the obvious choice. If that and the fact that fans ask for Dante loudly enough to make itsuno talk about it can make Nintendo notice the quite big demand for Dante that would be awesome.

But I'm still not sure if he will "steal" the spot of RE after all it's a massive franchise too.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
For a Capcom character, my OCD wants Monster Hunter, but my heart wants Dante.
Why not both?
Smash 4 got two Capcom newcomers.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but we've got Ken so one Capcom dlc will already make 2 for this game... Except if we have 3?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yeah but we've got Ken so one Capcom dlc will already make 2 for this game... Except if we have 3?
Do Echo fighters really count? They don't even get trailers.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Technically Ken does have a trailer so... But who knows as long as we get Dante I agree for everybody else (I'm a simple man)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Technically Ken does have a trailer so... But who knows as long as we get Dante I agree for everybody else (I'm a simple man)
He got a trailer in the same way Lucina and Dark Pit got trailers. They piggybacked on other character trailers as cameos.
Charizard was the same story in Smash 4.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
just searched and you're right RE is still above MH as a whole for quite a bit http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

for sure, Dante has an insane amount of potential based on his MvsC3 moveset alone, and that doesn't make much use of his DMC1, 4 and (for obvious reasons) 5 toolset if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if his rivaled RE top characters in a popularity poll, but that's just guesswork and not something I've seen polled anywhere noteworthy to confirm it.
For what it's worth, Source Gaming did a poll this past May that had Dante above every Capcom character but Phoenix Wright. (he was 14th overall; Phoenix was 13th, and characters like Amaterasu and Leon S. Kennedy were well below him in terms of votes)

Mind you, this poll only had about three thousand entrants, which is pretty low compared to the amount of people who bought or play Smash, but it's also the largest poll that we have to go on. (at least, as far as I know)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For what it's worth, Source Gaming did a poll this past May that had Dante above every Capcom character but Phoenix Wright. (he was 14th overall; Phoenix was 13th, and characters like Amaterasu and Leon S. Kennedy were well below him in terms of votes)

Mind you, this poll only had about three thousand entrants, which is pretty low compared to the amount of people who bought or play Smash, but it's also the largest poll that we have to go on. (at least, as far as I know)
That's neat, and yeah, polls usually aren't that large in participants in my experience, I imagine the results would vary depending on the site it's done on as well man Cronno being so low is depressing
Funny you mention Ammy as I just had a dream she was our last fighter pass character,

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Amaterasu would be awesome. I would love to see her in Smash, I loved Okami. But it's almost impossible, no way Ammy will get in before RE, Dante, Phoenix Wright or Monster Hunter.

Honestly, the only reason I can see for Dante to be in before RE is the moveset. Joker already bring the knife + gun combo and Dante has so many gimmicks (devil trigger, style bar, changing weapon,style mode, even sdt) it would be much easier to make something creative with Dante imo.
I would also say Dante is more popular than any RE character, at least if we talk about Smash speculation.

I remember when Joker was released I slightly fear his moveset was a soft deconfirmation of Dante, I say this because Joker has literally Rainstorm, a gun and if Dante's moveset had a Royalguard mechanic it probably would work similar to Rebellion Gauge.

Of course I don't think Joker "stealed" Dante's place, but these little details worried me a little haha.

About Dante moveset, I think it's pretty safe to say Dante could be easily one of the characters with best moveset potential. I mean, he has so MANY abilities, so many weapons... not only that. You have his multiple styles, his devil trigger... Honestly, his moveset could be a lot of things. The variety he has is incredible, it's impossible to make a bad moveset with him.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ammy is pretty much the pipe dream of my Capcom wishlist, while Okami gained some more love over the years, it's still so far from being one of Capcoms most notorious IPs, and she has no real means to compete with either RE, Dante or Phoenix when most of her activity in the last decade has been re-releasing the same game over and over again. With that in mind, I'd be more than satisfied to at least see her as a spirit.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ammy is pretty much the pipe dream of my Capcom wishlist, while Okami gained some more love over the years, it's still so far from being one of Capcoms most notorious IPs, and she has no real means to compete with either RE, Dante or Phoenix when most of her activity in the last decade has been re-releasing the same game over and over again. With that in mind, I'd be more than satisfied to at least see her as a spirit.
Yeah, same.

If they had released new assist trophies for each DLC (which I would have loved it) Ammy would be an awesome AT.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, same.

If they had released new assist trophies for each DLC (which I would have loved it) Ammy would be an awesome AT.
I know Smash fans really hate them, but sometimes, AT/trophies/spirits are the only way some characters have a realistic chance to be recognized by the games for one reason or another, this is where I feel Ammy fits in perfectly. I'd rather have her playable, sure, but it's hard to deny her competition within Capcom alone is too much to consider much more besides a cool idea.

Tinymo

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't see a Monster Hunter rep happening anytime soon. They could include 8 different skins with multiple designs of hunter, but I feel Rathalos presence in the game softly deconfirms a Monster Hunter rep. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Resident Evil I think it's the most possible newcomer from Capcom. Resident Evil 2 sold at least 3-4 million as far as I know. I also want Leon and/or Jill for Smash, so I would be happy.

About Phoenix Wright I think it's worth mentioning but I don't think he would join the roster before a RE/DMC rep even if Ace Attorney franchise has more connections with Nintendo platforms than Devil May Cry. Phoenix Wright is for sure a popular request and probably the most requested character from Capcom among the Smash community. At the same time, maybe I'm wrong or my perspective isn't correct but I don't see his support is enough bigger to be joining Smash before a Resident Evil rep. I've a hard time imagining Sakurai putting Phoenix Wright before Leon/Jill and Dante if I'm honest.
I would be okay with him, I've never played Ace Attorney but I think he would be a cool choice.
DMC 5 has now outsold RE2 remake

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
DMC is pretty healthy sales wise, but to the point it surpasses one of Capcoms most requested remakes of all time? High doubt. I won't be surprised if DMC5 ends up becoming the best selling entry in the series to date though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah. DMC5 will and should be the top selling game in the franchise. But I'd never expect a DMC game surpassing a mainline Resident Evil game. Maybe it's spinoffs, but not the main entries.

I really hope we won't have to wait another 10 years for DMC6. I'd like to see Vergil as the main character or one of the main characters (in playable terms).

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll give my Support to Dante, even If I'm more of a Vergil guy, but Both are really flashy so yeah

If he does become playable, one thing i hope is that Instead of Giving Dante a Regular grab, they make it so it's either him shooting his guns, or it's his Style action button if they decide to go that route

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'll give my Support to Dante, even If I'm more of a Vergil guy, but Both are really flashy so yeah

If he does become playable, one thing i hope is that Instead of Giving Dante a Regular grab, they make it so it's either him shooting his guns, or it's his Style action button if they decide to go that route
Welcome!

About the grab I don't get what you're saying. I guess you're saying he would shoot an enemy just after a grab? Or he wouldn't grab at all and instead he would shoot with his different guns?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Welcome!

About the grab I don't get what you're saying. I guess you're saying he would shoot an enemy just after a grab? Or he wouldn't grab at all and instead he would shoot with his different guns?
He wouldn't have a Grab at all. It either be him shooting is guns, or it's his Style Action Button. It could be a way of Balancing Dante, while also giving him options and making him unique

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
Dante is one of 2 characters i want for Smash the other Being Kos-Mos, But if Dante gets in him against Sonic and Bayoneta is a DREAM MATCH!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I remember Kamiya saying something among the lines of not allowing Bayonetta in PxZ2 as he wanted to be behind the DMCxBayo crossover should it ever happen (and later regretting this decision), I don't think it matters as much in Smash as there's not an awful lot of character specific interactions, but I wonder if he'd be involved in something like the reveal trailer should it happen? Having Bayo in it would make a lot of sense given how similar both franchises are in core gameplay (besides Kamiya being the main man behind both first entries).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I remember Kamiya saying something among the lines of not allowing Bayonetta in PxZ2 as he wanted to be behind the DMCxBayo crossover should it ever happen (and later regretting this decision), I don't think it matters as much in Smash as there's not an awful lot of character specific interactions, but I wonder if he'd be involved in something like the reveal trailer should it happen? Having Bayo in it would make a lot of sense given how similar both franchises are in core gameplay (besides Kamiya being the main man behind both first entries).
He said he regretted that desicion as soon as we learned about it

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As I said in other posts I think Bayonetta appearing in the reveal trailer for Dante is a lock. Maybe other characters as well, but I think Bayonetta will appear and I'm 99% sure about it, haha.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think i remember a poll made by hideki kamiya about which of his character we would like to see in ultimate . I think Dante won but i can't find it . Was it just me ? That could mean nothing but perhaps it can be a clue for Dante... Or maybe i'm just too desperate .

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think i remember a poll made by hideki kamiya about which of his character we would like to see in ultimate . I think Dante won but i can't find it . Was it just me ? That could mean nothing but perhaps it can be a clue for Dante... Or maybe i'm just too desperate .
I remember that but that doesn't mean anything, at least it shouldn't. Kamiya created Dante and directed the first DMC but nothing more and he isn't in Capcom to decide.
While he created Dante as a character I consider that the Itsuno created the defining Dante in DMC3, the most known appearence of him.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be honest yeah either Dante or Phoenix would be the next capcom rep if we get one. Most demanded names from that company, and have very varied and flashy movesets (or silly in case of phoenix) that fits perfectly in Smash imo. Really hoping that Sakurai saying next ones are gonna be there to satisfy fans includes our man Dante, he has everything Sakurai likes to work with. And after seeing Hero, i have no doubts they could give us some alts, maybe DMC 1 to 4 outfits and have DMC 5 be the main skin (or have 1 be the main one and put 5 alongside 2 3 and 4 as alts). Or if it's limited to the games we might be getting on switch for the time being then DMC 1 to 3 alts and color variables of vergil, nero, etc.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I remember that but that doesn't mean anything, at least it shouldn't. Kamiya created Dante and directed the first DMC but nothing more and he isn't in Capcom to decide.
While he created Dante as a character I consider that the Itsuno created the defining Dante in DMC3, the most known appearence of him.
Yeah that would make sense, but I don't know man... I must be too desperate that I come to see hint everywhere

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
He said he regretted that desicion as soon as we learned about it
yeah, I mentioned that, it wasn't a point against Dante as much as I wondered if they'd involve Kamiya in someway should they add Dante.
pretty sure Kamiya deleted it shortly afterwards due to getting annoyed by western fans or something, I dunno if that was what broke him from replying to anymore non-japanese replies for a while, not sure if he went back on that since.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Dante has the more realizable moveset potential compared to other capcom reps, the others aren't as expansive or intricate as him.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like Dante has the more realizable moveset potential compared to other capcom reps, the others aren't as expansive or intricate as him.
Well I must say that a potential resource mechanic for a Resident Evil character sounds really great and interesting, at least for me.
Phoenix Wright would have a fun, original and goofy moveset I guess.

But yeah in terms of moveset if we talk about Dante I think that the sky is the limit for him. I don't think Sakurai would make him too complex, I must say.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd say all 3 of the most discussed Capcom character have good potential for a moveset. Dante is probably the most obvious one given that he has a lot of fitting moves for a fighting game while also not outright being out of a fighter, to the point it might be hard to accurately give love to every possible weapon he has through the series with Smash control scheme.
Phoenix is probably the trickiest one to figure out, not just because he's an "average lawyer", but also because the first person view of AA makes it kinda tricky to figure out what he could possibly do as attacks (which is why I partly always saw him as more of a trophy/spirit/AT character than an outright newcomer), but there's plenty of ridiculous antiques from the series you could pull to represent him despite that.
I'm not super familiar with RE outside of 4 and Revelations (Umbrella Chronicles if you wanna count that), but I imagine Jill/Leon would be sorta like a Snake with a heavier emphasis on guns given that Smash now seems fine with giving characters that alongside some martial arts moves, probably with a heavier emphasis on air maneuverability if MvsC is anything to go by.
I'm a supporter of Dante and Phoenix so I'd be fine with either making it in, but I can't say I wouldn't understand why they might go with a RE rep instead given it's both a more popular and influential series in the grand scheme of things, besides being present in Nintendo systems for quite some time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
A Resident Evil character would probably have strong presence of weapons in their moveset, yeah. There's the option to go a bit crazy and give Leon or Jill some moves where they can summon zombies, if I'm right Jill does that in some Marvel vs Capcom 3, I think?
But maybe that would be difficult to implement in Smash, I don't know.
I think their moveset should have some type of resource managment mechanic. I also think it would be cool make Jill or Leon the only character able to escape from a grab, like they do in their games. The character could have maybe ¿1? knife use for each stock, like Banjo and the five feathers he has for one stock.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You could have an ammo system for each special/ranged weapon used that's restored as you hit enemies with normals or something. I imagine the summon zombies schtick would be more related with Frank West given that was part of his moveset in just about every vs Capcom game he's been in, but I admitedly never touched Jill in either game to confirm whether she could do that or not, I'm sure Chris and Wesker couldn't though.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Dusted off my old account to throw my support in for the wacky woo hoo pizza man.

DMC1 on the Switch was a surprise and as awful as DMC2 was, I think now DMC3 and DMC4 on the Switch will happen. That said - if it were to happen - I wonder if Capcom would port the standard DMC4 or the Special Edition.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Dusted off my old account to throw my support in for the wacky woo hoo pizza man.

DMC1 on the Switch was a surprise and as awful as DMC2 was, I think now DMC3 and DMC4 on the Switch will happen. That said - if it were to happen - I wonder if Capcom would port the standard DMC4 or the Special Edition.
wouldn't the same apply for DMC3? I don't remember 4SE adding anything that might make it feel like it couldn't run on Switch. I'm more curious if DmC will eventually happen.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My smash ultimate dlc fighters 2.png

He's on my list.
Demon dudes and I get along very well.

Top Bottom