• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, well SMT's chances got Judgement Cut into itty bitty pieces so I'm going from soft Dante supporter to hard Dante supporter now.

With DMCV on the horizon, putting in Dante would be some damn nice timing.

God, Vergil as a boss character would be unbelievably hype.

Pluuuuuuus, if it's DMC3 Dante, we could get Kazuma Kaneko artwork in the game as his DT so fingers crossed.
DMCV Dante is more recent however...

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I feel like Joker in Smash sends a hard message and that's that Nintendo relevance does not matter in the slightest, only popularity.

That means Dante is definitely very possible now. I'm feeling a bit confident about his chances, I just have no idea which Dante they'd use now. In the event that Dante was in before DLC, I was sure it'd be DMC4 Dante. Now I'm stuck between 3 and 5.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like Joker in Smash sends a hard message and that's that Nintendo relevance does not matter in the slightest, only popularity.

That means Dante is definitely very possible now. I'm feeling a bit confident about his chances, I just have no idea which Dante they'd use now. In the event that Dante was in before DLC, I was sure it'd be DMC4 Dante. Now I'm stuck between 3 and 5.
I feel like it'd definitely be the 3 version. At least for the default.
5, while it is so cool to see Dante aged up and act as a mentor figure to Nero and V, only works so well due to how we usually see his younger incarnations in DMC1-4 and even in DmC.

What I really hope happens is that they have all the Dantes as alternate costumes ala Ike or Bayonetta. Though honestly, it'd probably just be two at max.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
If CAPCOM doesn't want to use the opportunity to promote their new Devil May Cry game I could actually see them doing DMC1 and DMC3 Dante, with either one as the default.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think the Dante rumors that went around this year could help his chances, since Matt Walker at the very least heard about it. I'd be surprised if it didn't reach Capcom's executives, made them consider the possibility since it'd be a huge promotional boon for DMCV, and pitch the idea to Nintendo.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
God it better not be ****ing DMC3 Dante again. Sick of that design. Use 5 or 4

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Dante made it into Smash Bros., what would you want his classic mode playthrough to be like?

I made a post on Reddit covering this topic, but I haven't been a fan of the series for long, and I didn't pay much attention to the music when I was playing, so I'm sure that other people could do this better.

Dante: Devils May Cry

Fight 1: Vs. a horde of red Greninja in Dracula's Castle (Public Enemy) - supposed to resemble fights against a bunch of lesser demons

Fight 2: Vs. purple Ike in Shadow Moses Island (Ultra Violet) - supposed to resemble a fight with Nelo Angelo

Fight 3: Vs. blue Dark Pit in hazardless version of Kalos Pokemon League (The Time Has Come) - supposed to resemble a fight with Nero

Fight 4: Vs. red Ridley in Battlefield version of Brinstar Depths (Devils Never Cry) - supposed to resemble a fight against a larger demon, like Griffin from DMC1, Beowulf from DMC3, or Berial from DMC4

Fight 5: Vs. white haired Ganondorf in Midgar (Vergil Battle 2) - supposed to resemble a fight with Vergil

Bonus Game

Boss: Vs. Bowser/Giga Bowser in Final Destination (team battle with Bayonetta) (fight with Bowser plays an instrumental remix of Devil Trigger, while the fight with Giga Bowser plays the actual thing) - probably the most demonic-looking boss character; it was either him or Dracula

Fight 6: Vs. Bayonetta in Final Destination (Red & Black) - if Dante got into the game, it would be a shame if we didn't get Dante vs. Bayonetta at some point, and it might as well be at the climax of his classic mode run

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
If Dante made it into Smash Bros., what would you want his classic mode playthrough to be like?

I made a post on Reddit covering this topic, but I haven't been a fan of the series for long, and I didn't pay much attention to the music when I was playing, so I'm sure that other people could do this better.

Fight 1: Vs. a horde of red Greninja in Dracula's Castle (Public Enemy) - supposed to resemble fights against a bunch of lesser demons

Fight 2: Vs. purple Ike in Shadow Moses Island (Ultra Violet) - supposed to resemble a fight with Nelo Angelo

Fight 3: Vs. blue Dark Pit in hazardless version of Kalos Pokemon League (The Time Has Come) - supposed to resemble a fight with Nero

Fight 4: Vs. red Ridley in Battlefield version of Brinstar Depths (Devils Never Cry) - supposed to resemble a fight against a larger demon, like Griffin from DMC1, Beowulf from DMC3, or Berial from DMC4

Fight 5: Vs. white haired Ganondorf in Midgar (Vergil Battle 2) - supposed to resemble a fight with Vergil

Bonus Game

Boss: Vs. Bowser/Giga Bowser in Final Destination (team battle with Bayonetta) (fight with Bowser plays an instrumental remix of Devil Trigger, while the fight with Giga Bowser plays the actual thing) - probably the most demonic-looking boss character; it was either him or Dracula

Fight 6: Vs. Bayonetta in Final Destination (Red & Black) - if Dante got into the game, it would be a shame if we didn't get Dante vs. Bayonetta at some point, and it might as well be at the climax of his classic mode run
I'd actually have to agree with this one, MD.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Bonus Game

In this case, I think the bonus game would be between the boss and Fight 6.

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm in.

I'm hoping for at least 3 more swordfighters to make it in through multiple rounds of DLC, my other 2 being a Three Houses character and another Xenoblade character.

Dante would be an excellent choice for another 3rd party swordfighter. Cloud made it in so anything is possible.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If only Leon Kennedy was in his list, I guess he cannot fit all of his characters in the poll.

I voted for Dante out of the characters. Maybe there will be an substantial impact on who gets decided for Smash DLC.

At least, in a potential 2nd Fighters pass. Seems like more and more signs point to it honestly.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Has Dante been possibly leaked as the next DLC character for Smash Ultimate?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_yycRJH3NA&t=146s
I'll believe it but also be cautious with this because on one hand, the reasoning and use of datamined info sounds pretty legit, but on the other hand, I've been in the Warframe community long enough to know that there are some companies that like to put fake or misleading stuff in the game files to **** with dataminers. Those were fun times until they went from leaking drop rates (which were a major concern at the time) to leaking quest scripts and Umbra; that resulted in them getting threatened with lawsuits.

Point is, datamines are a good source of info, but not 100% reliable.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I'll believe it but also be cautious with this because on one hand, the reasoning and use of datamined info sounds pretty legit, but on the other hand, I've been in the Warframe community long enough to know that there are some companies that like to put fake or misleading stuff in the game files to **** with dataminers. Those were fun times until they went from leaking drop rates (which were a major concern at the time) to leaking quest scripts and Umbra; that resulted in them getting threatened with lawsuits.

Point is, datamines are a good source of info, but not 100% reliable.
I know. I'm not usually one to listen to or spread out leaks as I normally don't trust them. But I couldn't exactly help myself with this one as Dante is the #1 character that I personally want to see in Smash

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, don't get your hopes up.

I want it to be true, but it seems shaky at best currently.

RWyvern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RWyvern
After Ridley, Wolf and a number of my favourite game characters being included (even Rathalos, to an extent), Dante’s literally the only character I really want now. With a new game on the horizon it’d be perfect timing. Though, Capcom’s not exactly known for top business decisions.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've gotten my hands on the DMC HD collection and I've been playing 3. I'm at the boss rush but I'm honestly not a fan of most of the bosses and the game crashed when I had 2 left aaaaaaa. So to lose some steam I'm getting a moveset for Dante as I've been meaning to do it for a while. I'm limiting myself to Rebellion as I want a coherent moveset and not just "Hey remember when he did that?" as K.Rool did that and his trailer was disappointed as **** imo.
Normals and Smash attacks
Jab: Rebellion combo 1
Ftilt: The second hit of Rebellion combo 2, press again to do the third hit
Up Tilt: Dante grabs Ebony and Ivory and pistol-whips upwards
Dtilt: Dante performs a quick leg sweep
Dash Attack: Stinger, Dante lunges forward with Rebellion. The move has a sweetspot at the end of the lunge
Up Smash: High Time, Dante swings Rebellion upwards. One can compare this to Cloud's up smash
F Smash: Prop Shredder, Dante spins Rebellion around in his hand creating a rather large hitbox which hits multiple times
Down Smash: Crazy Dance, Dante puts Rebellion on the ground and wildly swings around it
Aerials
Nair: Dante spins with Rebellion in 360 degrees
Up Air: Dante swings Rebellion upwards in rapid succession for a total of 3 hits
Fair: Aerial Wave: Dante does the first strike and like Bayonetta's Fair, Dante can follow up to complete the combo
Bair: Dante swings Rebellion behind him horizontally
Dair: Helm Breaker, Dante swings downward and falls straight down. It can spike, just like in his games
Grab and throws
Grab: Dante has a standard grab
Pummel: Dante pistol-whips his opponent
Up throw: Dante kicks the opponent straight up and he juggles them with Ebony and Ivory for a little
F Throw: Dante leaps onto his opponent and slides on them for a little bit before jumping off again
Back Throw: Dante takes a page from his nephew Nero and suplexes his opponent
Down Throw: Wild Stomp, Dante trips his opponent and stamps on them while shooting them with Ebony and Ivory before kicking them away
Specials
B: Devil Trigger. Dante unleashes his energy and becomes stronger and faster alongside the ability to cancel his attacks into other attacks for a short period of time. There are 5 symbols under his character portrait to represent how long this goes on for. By taking or giving damage, Dante fills up the symbols overtime. However, Dante needs 3 symbols available to even activate the move
Side B: Shooting Star, Dante dashes forward a little to get some horizontal distance. However, if something that can be attacked is in front of Dante, he can press B again to teleport above them. The range gets shorted slightly when teleporting but won't put him in freefall. Up B will be disabled but Dante can still attack so this can be used as a risky combo extender
Up B: Air Hike, Dante gets an extra jump by creating a platform which while it only gives him a somewhat better jump,won't put him in freefall so this can be used as a combo extender too. Using Up B won't use up your double jump if you preserved it
Down B: Sword Thrust, Dante throws Rebellion forwards and if it hits anyone, the sword will stay inside the opponent while they 'bleed' by taking damage over time. Pressing Down B again has Rebellion yank itself out and fly back to Dante. When Dante loses Rebellion, he takes a noticeable hit to his range and damage output but he can still use his fists instead of Rebellion for most of his attacks. His Fsmash becomes a simple punch similar to his gauntlet weaponry and his down smash has him breakdance instead of swinging around Rebellion.
Final Smash: Dante goes crazy and charges straight ahead, anyone hit by the charge gets stuck in a cinematic where Dante rushes at them with Quicksilver's blinding speed doing various slashes and kicks while spewing various one-liners, he even uses his other weapons throughout the series such as Cerberus, Nevan, Lucifer and Gilgamesh before time goes back to normal while Dante performs his Jackpot finisher used from MvC as he doesn't have Vergil backing him up. While this all happens, a Rank meter pops up which keeps going higher and gets SSStylish when Jackpot hits
Miscellaneous
Entrance: Dante rides in on a motorcycle which explodes after he steps off of it
Parry animation: Dante posses as if he parried something with Royal Guard
Taunt 1: Dante shrugs while saying "You scared?"
Taunt 2: Dante yells "Come and get me!" while gesturing that whoever he's fighting needs to get at him
Taunt 3: Dante points forward saying "Make the win!" before laughingly going "Ha! Like you can!"
Victory theme: A snippet of Devils Never Cry. Listen to the first 5 seconds of the MVC3 version before the lyrics pop up to get an idea what I mean
Victory 1: gunfire is heard while cracks in the screen somehow appear before Dante shatters it and poses triumphantly
Victory 2: Dante cheers before striking a pose and saying "That was some party alright!"
Victory 3: Dante casually sticks his arm out and grabs a pizza box and munches on a slice
The idea is that Dante would be focused on being able to perform combos. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've gotten my hands on the DMC HD collection and I've been playing 3. I'm at the boss rush but I'm honestly not a fan of most of the bosses and the game crashed when I had 2 left aaaaaaa. So to lose some steam I'm getting a moveset for Dante as I've been meaning to do it for a while. I'm limiting myself to Rebellion as I want a coherent moveset and not just "Hey remember when he did that?" as K.Rool did that and his trailer was disappointed as **** imo.
Normals and Smash attacks
Jab: Rebellion combo 1
Ftilt: The second hit of Rebellion combo 2, press again to do the third hit
Up Tilt: Dante grabs Ebony and Ivory and pistol-whips upwards
Dtilt: Dante performs a quick leg sweep
Dash Attack: Stinger, Dante lunges forward with Rebellion. The move has a sweetspot at the end of the lunge
Up Smash: High Time, Dante swings Rebellion upwards. One can compare this to Cloud's up smash
F Smash: Prop Shredder, Dante spins Rebellion around in his hand creating a rather large hitbox which hits multiple times
Down Smash: Crazy Dance, Dante puts Rebellion on the ground and wildly swings around it
Aerials
Nair: Dante spins with Rebellion in 360 degrees
Up Air: Dante swings Rebellion upwards in rapid succession for a total of 3 hits
Fair: Aerial Wave: Dante does the first strike and like Bayonetta's Fair, Dante can follow up to complete the combo
Bair: Dante swings Rebellion behind him horizontally
Dair: Helm Breaker, Dante swings downward and falls straight down. It can spike, just like in his games
Grab and throws
Grab: Dante has a standard grab
Pummel: Dante pistol-whips his opponent
Up throw: Dante kicks the opponent straight up and he juggles them with Ebony and Ivory for a little
F Throw: Dante leaps onto his opponent and slides on them for a little bit before jumping off again
Back Throw: Dante takes a page from his nephew Nero and suplexes his opponent
Down Throw: Wild Stomp, Dante trips his opponent and stamps on them while shooting them with Ebony and Ivory before kicking them away
Specials
B: Devil Trigger. Dante unleashes his energy and becomes stronger and faster alongside the ability to cancel his attacks into other attacks for a short period of time. There are 5 symbols under his character portrait to represent how long this goes on for. By taking or giving damage, Dante fills up the symbols overtime. However, Dante needs 3 symbols available to even activate the move
Side B: Shooting Star, Dante dashes forward a little to get some horizontal distance. However, if something that can be attacked is in front of Dante, he can press B again to teleport above them. The range gets shorted slightly when teleporting but won't put him in freefall. Up B will be disabled but Dante can still attack so this can be used as a risky combo extender
Up B: Air Hike, Dante gets an extra jump by creating a platform which while it only gives him a somewhat better jump,won't put him in freefall so this can be used as a combo extender too. Using Up B won't use up your double jump if you preserved it
Down B: Sword Thrust, Dante throws Rebellion forwards and if it hits anyone, the sword will stay inside the opponent while they 'bleed' by taking damage over time. Pressing Down B again has Rebellion yank itself out and fly back to Dante. When Dante loses Rebellion, he takes a noticeable hit to his range and damage output but he can still use his fists instead of Rebellion for most of his attacks. His Fsmash becomes a simple punch similar to his gauntlet weaponry and his down smash has him breakdance instead of swinging around Rebellion.
Final Smash: Dante goes crazy and charges straight ahead, anyone hit by the charge gets stuck in a cinematic where Dante rushes at them with Quicksilver's blinding speed doing various slashes and kicks while spewing various one-liners, he even uses his other weapons throughout the series such as Cerberus, Nevan, Lucifer and Gilgamesh before time goes back to normal while Dante performs his Jackpot finisher used from MvC as he doesn't have Vergil backing him up. While this all happens, a Rank meter pops up which keeps going higher and gets SSStylish when Jackpot hits
Miscellaneous
Entrance: Dante rides in on a motorcycle which explodes after he steps off of it
Parry animation: Dante posses as if he parried something with Royal Guard
Taunt 1: Dante shrugs while saying "You scared?"
Taunt 2: Dante yells "Come and get me!" while gesturing that whoever he's fighting needs to get at him
Taunt 3: Dante points forward saying "Make the win!" before laughingly going "Ha! Like you can!"
Victory theme: A snippet of Devils Never Cry. Listen to the first 5 seconds of the MVC3 version before the lyrics pop up to get an idea what I mean
Victory 1: gunfire is heard while cracks in the screen somehow appear before Dante shatters it and poses triumphantly
Victory 2: Dante cheers before striking a pose and saying "That was some party alright!"
Victory 3: Dante casually sticks his arm out and grabs a pizza box and munches on a slice
The idea is that Dante would be focused on being able to perform combos. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this
Looks like a good moveset, with the final smash being a highlight - I wish I had come up with something that crazy for my moveset, and I can clearly picture how ridiculous/awesome it would look in my head when I read your description.

Why did you choose to have Devil Trigger as his neutral B? Also, in this hypothetical moveset, what would happen if the magic symbols aren't filled up and you pressed B? I figure that other characters with that kind of concept, like Little Mac with his KO meter or Cloud with his Limit Break gauge, do something with the button associated with those gauges (Mac's neutral B, Cloud's down B) when they aren't full.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Looks like a good moveset, with the final smash being a highlight - I wish I had come up with something that crazy for my moveset, and I can clearly picture how ridiculous/awesome it would look in my head when I read your description.

Why did you choose to have Devil Trigger as his neutral B? Also, in this hypothetical moveset, what would happen if the magic symbols aren't filled up and you pressed B? I figure that other characters with that kind of concept, like Little Mac with his KO meter or Cloud with his Limit Break gauge, do something with the button associated with those gauges (Mac's neutral B, Cloud's down B) when they aren't full.
Honestly, because out of the specials I chose I preferred the idea of Kirby getting Devil Trigger. If Dante tries activating Devil Trigger when his gauge isn't at least 3 symbols, he shrugs and goes into a "Nope, I'm not ready yet" pose. Kirby would lose the ability when the 3 gauge time limit is over

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Pressing it before it's ready could just do nothing, like how trying to do some attacks in the air like Peach's Down Special do nothing.

Long time no see! I've come by to drop the new article I did for Dante over at Source Gaming. It's a rework of my moveset from page 1, with more guns, different moves, and Devil Trigger.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/01/29/dream-smasher-dante/

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As of now, Dante is hands down one of mine most wanted third-party characters. I recently played Devil May Cry 1 for the PC and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm thinking about getting a USB controller, though, since it's very hard to play this game with a keyboard.

So far, Devil May Cry 5 looks like an excellent game that I hope gets ported to the Switch. Since Smash Ultimate is mostly recruiting the big names, I could see Dante happening.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Back when the Dante rumors were spreading I decided to give my brothers copy of the trilogy on PS2 a whirl.

I got my ass kicked by Phantom.

But a couple weeks ago, I noticed the HD Trilogy on X1 was on sale so I picked it up, got gud, and now Im on DMC4 already. Id love to see Dante be in Smash! Especially if they implement all of the unique weapons from 3 and DT, then he can be a really fun character. Maybe even some 5 weapons, like the cowboy hat.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Can we take a moment to appreciate just how awesome Nero looks in this game though?

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
As of now, Dante is hands down one of mine most wanted third-party characters. I recently played Devil May Cry 1 for the PC and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm thinking about getting a USB controller, though, since it's very hard to play this game with a keyboard.

So far, Devil May Cry 5 looks like an excellent game that I hope gets ported to the Switch. Since Smash Ultimate is mostly recruiting the big names, I could see Dante happening.
I would definitely love to see Devil May Cry 5 get ported to the Switch along with Dante making it to Smash Ultimate as DLC

Top Bottom