• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Sad day. I'm under the impression that Nintendo appearances don't matter anymore but if Itsuno disagrees I respect him for that. I used to think the same as he does.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, after watching the final DMC5 trailer (and dipping my toes into some spoilers online), I am MOTIVATED as hell.

Maybe not this Smash game, but one day I truly expect that the grandfather of Stylish Action games can be put into Smash Bros, showing that new hotness Bayonetta what for.
fdftdmcs small.png

And hey, he'll always have a place at Capcom's Crossover fighting games at least.

In the meanwhile, we can all enjoy DMC5, quite possibly the most glorious gaming comeback I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.

D

Deleted member

If someone only had the time to try out one Devil May Cry game and wanted to check out the series, which one out of the first four would you recommend? I'm thinking DMC 3 as long as you know how the difficulty is handled in that game. (IE: Choose easy if it's the original version of the game.) I want fan perspectives first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If someone only had the time to try out one Devil May Cry game and wanted to check out the series, which one out of the first four would you recommend? I'm thinking DMC 3 as long as you know how the difficulty is handled in that game. (IE: Choose easy if it's the original version of the game.) I want fan perspectives first.
Probably Devil May Cry 3; it helps that it's a prequel, so there's not much need to worry about explaining the story.

I strongly prefer Devil May Cry 4's controls and how it handles the Style system (having to wait until you reach a save point to select a style is a huge pain, and I'm so glad that they made it so you can switch between them on the fly in DMC4 and 5), but the fact that most of the second half of DMC4 is playing the first half's levels in reverse order probably won't give a great first impression.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Definitely 3.

3 as a whole is a fully complete game that introduced many of the mechanics that are now mainstays within the series.
4 and 1 are also great as starting places, but 4 introduces a character whose control scheme IS super different and 1 feels distinctly different in physics and combat and camera angles from the rest of the series.

whatever you do, avoid 2 at all costs.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
3 is definitely the best of the series, but I'm glad I started with 1. It makes me appreciate both games a lot more. 1 has some camera angle jank even in the HD collection but its still a fine game and it makes 3 feel even better in every perspective. I'd save 4 for after you play 1 and 3 since Nero plays extremely different and can be pretty shocking going from Nero to Dante if you never played 1 or 3.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I feel like for giving the best impression of what DMC is now, because it's become a very different beast, Devil May Cry 3 is the best option. It's the most complete of the two Itsuno Devil May Crys so far and it has the most well-rounded levels and an epic storyline and style to match. I would normally say to start with the first game in the series, but Devil May Cry the original I don't believe has held up the best in terms of depth and design.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well, I suppose this is relevant now.
Old Dante, New Nero, and V are making it over to the SMT Gashapon.
Finally, we can bring this back:
Featuring Dante.png

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hang on, Bayonetta's in this too. Can't believe the crossover is the mobile game
Yup, it's the first time Bayonetta and Dante have ever been in a game together. Hopefully one day their reunion could take place in Smash.

Insomneko

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3266-5876-1597
Fully support Dante! He'd be one of the most hype additions to the roster imo

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm tempted to get a new graphics card so my PC can run Devil May Cry 5. (it's juuuuust under the minimum graphics card requirements at the moment, every other aspect should be fine, and I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One) I haven't looked too deeply into the game, but what I have seen has sold me on it.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yo! While you all are waiting for the game to come out, I compiled a Devil May Cry timeline video! It's an hour long, so you can bide your time with it, and get fully ready for the crazy party headed our way!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yo! While you all are waiting for the game to come out, I compiled a Devil May Cry timeline video! It's an hour long, so you can bide your time with it, and get fully ready for the crazy party headed our way!
"DmC: Dante had a pizza-sundae induced food coma and fever drempt up a weird alternate reality where everything was decidedly less crazy."

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to play DMC5 after all these years...

I rly hope that either Dante or Nero will make an appearance in smash as well.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Excited to jump into DMC5 even if I am a newer fan! Unfortunatley I have to wait a couple days to play it because Im working on a job 4 states away from home, but it will make returning home even better.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Tbf it's the same director and apparantly a similar style of gameplay
Yeah, on a game people have voiced not caring for nearly as much as the actual DMC series. So when it doesn't sell "to their expectations", Capcom have an easy out.

Why don't they "test" things by porting 1-4?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That most people have already bought and likely don't want to have to by again just to fulfill another one of Capcom's hostage tests.
I mean everyone said that about USF2 but that exceeded expectations, not to mention this is the first time Dragon's Dogma has been on a Nintendo console, meaning it's a new audience. Funny enough I actually considered buying it this week

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I mean everyone said that about USF2 but that exceeded expectations
Mainly because that was supposed to be THE TEST. Nowadays people are more sick of this routine. As time and time again, Capcom have pulled this.
not to mention this is the first time Dragon's Dogma has been on a Nintendo console, meaning it's a new audience. Funny enough I actually considered buying it this week
All nice and dandy, but that doesn't even take into consideration, people who may actualy be intertesed in DMC but not Dragon's Dogma.

That Capcom are basing whether or not a game, and possibly the series it's from will come tot he Switch based off of a different game not even a part of the series is ridiculous.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I kind of get the idea of waiting to see how a re-release sells (on a particular console or in general) before deciding to make a new game in that franchise (like how the success of the Mega Man Legacy Collection led to Mega Man 11), but it seems dumb to decide whether or not to bring one game to a system based on the sales of a completely unrelated franchise. (or barely related, if they share the same director)

You'd think that they'd make that decision by bringing over the Devil May Cry HD Collection, or DMC4: Special Edition, and basing it off of the sales of that. I realize that ports aren't free in terms of development costs, but it doesn't seem like it would cost as much as trying to get DMC5 to run on the Switch (especially since the HD collection has been ported over several times already), and it would be a more accurate measurement of how popular a Devil May Cry game would be on a Nintendo console.

I've only barely heard of Dragon's Dogma (I vaguely recall an announcement trailer from years back); I'm not going to buy a game in that franchise just because DMC5 is effectively being held hostage by it.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
To add fuel to the fire I'm convinced DMC5 won't be able to run on Switch anyway.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To add fuel to the fire I'm convinced DMC5 won't be able to run on Switch anyway.
Yeah, hell no.

The XBO chugs and drops frames a noticeable amount of time, especially during the final boss. The Switch version, even if exceptionally gimped, would probably be unable to run DMC5 portably, at least not without heating up to dangerous levels.

Now the DMC HD Collection? It's literally free money. Just slap that on the Switch and boom, enough Nintendo for both Sakurai and Itsuno.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Count me in (if there is even a supporter list for this one). I just recently got into the whole collection and hopefully soon on DMCV and honestly I think this guy would make a very fun addition to the game, plus if Incineroar got so much personality worked on himself, I figure Dante getting in Smash with the same love and treatment would be amazing. Getting each one of his game outfits is a must for his alts if he got in, even if that's beyond crazy ( I personally ended loving DMC2 and DMC5 costumes the most).

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The whole hostage bs aside, Dragon's Dogma is a great game and I heartily recommend it to every Switch owner who has never played DD before (at least based on the assumption that the Switch port don't have porting issues).

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't know why I haven't visited this topic sooner. Dante's currently my second Most-Wanted character right now, and although his chances are essentially null due to Itsuno's recent comments about him not being one of the DLC fighters, I believe that Itsuno (the current director) and Kamiya (i.e. talking to Itsuno and Sakurai during their down time) might steer interest in the character for a potential Fighter's Pass 2. Thus, I hold out hope that he'll find his way into Smash's Hall of Fame. He already escaped Hell three times, so why not make that four, eh?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Launch Trailer for playable Vergil releasing alongside the Bloody Palace update.

Looks to be a DMC4 style non-canon romp into the other player characters' missions. Interestingly, it's a hypothetical that takes place in Vergil's mind during the "If our positions were switched" speech.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Launch Trailer for playable Vergil releasing alongside the Bloody Palace update.

Looks to be a DMC4 style non-canon romp into the other player characters' missions. Interestingly it's a hypothetical that takes place in Vergil's mind during the "If we switched positions" speech.

Man, they shore showed us, eh? Can't wait to get my claws on this update!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just bought DMC5 and Nier Automata on PC! (Knowing my luck, they'll both be announced for the Switch in the next Direct) Given the speed that they're downloading at, I likely won't be able to play them until tomorrow night since I've got work most of the day, but I'm looking forward to trying both of them out.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Just bought DMC5 and Nier Automata on PC! (Knowing my luck, they'll both be announced for the Switch in the next Direct) Given the speed that they're downloading at, I likely won't be able to play them until tomorrow night since I've got work most of the day, but I'm looking forward to trying both of them out.
If such a thing happened, I'd say your curse would be everyone's blessing, including your own. Think about it: Itsuno teased that Dante isn't "Nintendo enough" to be considered in Smash, and also teased us into supporting the franchise just enough for him to "consider" Switch ports. That in turn would "justify" Dante's inclusion in Smash, but assuming that by some miracle we do get the first four games on the Switch, that pretty much opens the floodgates and raises some red flags regarding Itsuno's comment on Dante and Smash as a whole.

Then there's 2B, whose parent company may be Square-Enix, but having her game on the Switch at all bolsters her chances as well. Just some food for thought.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well guys, at least we know guns are allowed in Smash now! No more worrying about Dante's lovely ladies Ebony and Ivory.

Also notice Joker's neutral special into the air has him do a spinning downwards pistol barrage. Now that's pretty close to rainstorm if you ask me.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
"Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series"

jk but Ann's color scheme sans the hair color is pretty similar.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I was never particularly worried about Ebony & Ivory in Dante's toolkit. They're so ridiculous in real-world terms that it rolls back to being kooky. No handgun has infinite ammo with rapid-fire properties or juggling capabilities. When all is said and done, I say Dante's chances are looking as they always have, which is...ambiguous at the moment.
V_Poetry.png

But hey, at least we have Devil May Cry V (and its ebin meme culture) to keep us occupied, eh?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was never particularly worried about Ebony & Ivory in Dante's toolkit. They're so ridiculous in real-world terms that it rolls back to being kooky. No handgun has infinite ammo with rapid-fire properties or juggling capabilities. When all is said and done, I say Dante's chances are looking as they always have, which is...ambiguous at the moment.
View attachment 209971
But hey, at least we have Devil May Cry V (and its ebin meme culture) to keep us occupied, eh?
To be fair the concern people had with Ebony and Ivory is that they look like real guns one can purchase and shoot with. Joker's gun being realistic proves that it doesn't matter luckily

Top Bottom