• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Realistically though, I feel like it could be a Square Enix rep. The leaker was one of the only few guys who called Cloud back in Smash 4 and it's a bit well-known that Square Enix hates leakers a lot. That could bleed over to Nintendo, especially if it's someone like Geno.
Depends on if Square is actually willing to play ball. Between no new FF music, items, etc., it doesn't seem too terribly likely. As for the Cloud leaker all together, I'm just going to play it cautious. He's being really vague. He won't evens say what company the newcomer is actually coming from, which seems like it'd be a red flag to me. If there is some relation between Ninty and Capcom that he knows about, I don't think he'd be at risk if he said something like 'it's a Capcom character, but not Ken.' Granted, it's just as vague, but it's something to go off of.
Either way, just like all the other leaks, I'll keep this in mind and just wait and see.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
This goes off the assumption that the Cloud leaker knows what's going on internally at Nintendo. We don't know if the guy really does or not.
Well, yes, I was assuming the guy was legit. If we were able to deconfirm his info for sure we wouldn't even discussing his statement in the first plate. Not that I'm saying his legit tho.

There was also this moment during the interview at NYCC.
https://youtu.be/IYiwSV1HuoM?t=500
Make of this what you will.
Cool, video not available for my country, I don't even wanna know why lol...
Mind tell what's going on in that interview?

Realistically though, I feel like it could be a Square Enix rep. The leaker was one of the only few guys who called Cloud back in Smash 4 and it's a bit well-known that Square Enix hates leakers a lot. That could bleed over to Nintendo, especially if it's someone like Geno.
The problem with Geno is that we don't have a "credible" Geno leak, even Vergeben stated Geno is in so many (fake) leaks that Square-Enix doesn't pay too much attention to those. Another Square-Enix rep, maybe? But what "credible" leaks do we have there in that regards?

As for the Cloud leaker all together, I'm just going to play it cautious. He's being really vague. He won't evens say what company the newcomer is actually coming from, which seems like it'd be a red flag to me. If there is some relation between Ninty and Capcom that he knows about, I don't think he'd be at risk if he said something like 'it's a Capcom character, but not Ken.' Granted, it's just as vague, but it's something to go off of.
To be fair, he simply said that some "leak" "ruffled some feathers", he specifically says that he thinks who the character might be. In his own words:

Yes, this means that I have a decent idea of which character it is, but it's ultimately total speculation on my part because, again, I don't know which specific leak it might be. I only think I have an idea because of where I heard it from and what not.
We just know that MAYBE (if you're willing to believe his words) someone caught Nintendo attention. So rule out the common fakeleak-of-the-day characters, and see who's left.
To be honest with you guys, I would be much more willing to believe on Dante's chances if the DMCV leaker didn't piggybacked US specifically. Because, if he's legit, what are the chances that everyone got the trailer wrong (with the Lucina vs. Rathalos) while we thought it might be an Awakening trio vs. Grima? As opposed to the DMCV leaker pulling a loz18 on us using this very thread to make the fake trailer more credible? After all, like JustinTheGuy said:

Well, he can't get it from a place like GameFAQs because he would have to dig, and this thread is relatively unpopulated, so it's honestly the best option if they wanted to fake it.
To close, a random thought: what if the DMCV leaker faked the trailer, but Dante is coming to Smash anyway? I was thinking about this 4chan comment, you know, the one that predicted Isabelle as a newcomer and Dante for november. The DMCV leaker did spawned the idea of Dante in Smash in the first place (thanks to legit info), but maybe he inadvertently spoiled for real. And since, by now, should be pretty clear that we're not getting any news in october, that 4chan comment we all thought was just piggybacking/lucky guessing became more..."realistic"?

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
"Cool, video not available for my country, I don't even wanna know why lol...
Mind tell what's going on in that interview?"

Interviewer asks Itsuno and Matt Walker if Devil May Cry is ever going to get on the Switch. Barring a few awkward pauses (which could just be me reading
into it a lot), they say that they'd love to do it.

That 4chan comment though is relatively good and in play so far besides Walker's denial and the image leak being fake, but looking at it now a month from when it was posted, a few things come to my mind in hindsight:
  • The fact that he claims Skull Kid and Geon aren't in the game at all bugs me; the former even moreso. I don't Zelda much, but I'm still pretty sure he's probably too recognizable of a presence to not include in any capacity. This isn't to suggest that he should be an actual character, but seeing him taken out completely when he got an Assist Trophy in 4 is kind of weird.
  • We're halfway through October already, and I doubt that we're at the point where we could get any reveals for the month, or at least a Direct. Dante would definitely fit the mold of a character who'd work in a Smash Direct setting, so I'm feeling that part.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
That 4chan comment though is relatively good and in play so far besides Walker's denial and the image leak being fake, but looking at it now a month from when it was posted, a few things come to my mind in hindsight:
  • The fact that he claims Skull Kid and Geon aren't in the game at all bugs me; the former even moreso. I don't Zelda much, but I'm still pretty sure he's probably too recognizable of a presence to not include in any capacity. This isn't to suggest that he should be an actual character, but seeing him taken out completely when he got an Assist Trophy in 4 is kind of weird.
Well, if we're just going off of the DMC5 leak and not the other one who just got lucky, we can assume Skull Kid is still possible as an assist, nothing in that really rules him out of existing. The 4chan post that has the most credibility isn't Smash centered. That said, the guy who somehow managed to get Isabelle reveal correct did say 'Dante is for November' and while I don't necessarily believe him, I will die laughing if it happens.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Interviewer asks Itsuno and Matt Walker if Devil May Cry is ever going to get on the Switch. Barring a few awkward pauses (which could just be me reading into it a lot), they say that they'd love to do it.
Thanks for the help. Without being able to hear it I cannot give my view on that, but maybe the interviewer got Matt off guard (being a producer can be stressful) so thats why he did some awkward pauses. And we cant forget that maybe, hopefully, DMC will come to the Switch regardless Dante being in Smash.

I think he was referring to playable characters, after all Geno will probably retain his Mii costume anyway, and even if Skull Kid is not playable, no longer an Assist Trophy and not even a boss he will cleary have at least a normal trophy. After all, he was specifically answering this, where the OP claimed Isaac, Incineroar, Waddle Dee, Skull Kid, Geno as newcomers and Impa, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Isabelle, Medusa, Ken, Octoling as echoes. Then someone replied with the Smash 4 Dante mod and he posted his famous claim. My english is far from perfect, so what do you think he meant when he said "Only one not to be debunked"?

the guy who somehow managed to get Isabelle reveal correct did say 'Dante is for November' and while I don't necessarily believe him, I will die laughing if it happens.
Today Sakurai retweeted an event that will take place on 3rd November, so we will probably get the final direct announced for the successive week (probably schedulded for 6 or 7 November). I think its pretty safe to say that we won't get anything in this month, but let me say that I'll too die laughing if Dante happens for real.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help. Without being able to hear it I cannot give my view on that, but maybe the interviewer got Matt off guard (being a producer can be stressful) so thats why he did some awkward pauses. And we cant forget that maybe, hopefully, DMC will come to the Switch regardless Dante being in Smash.
I can clip it for you, if you want to take a quick look at it. Doesn't take a lot of time to cut a clip in a way that you see what we're talking about.

After all, he was specifically answering this, where the OP claimed Isaac, Incineroar, Waddle Dee, Skull Kid, Geno as newcomers and Impa, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Isabelle, Medusa, Ken, Octoling as echoes. Then someone replied with the Smash 4 Dante mod and he posted his famous claim. My english is far from perfect, so what do you think he meant when he said "Only one not to be debunked"?
Having been there during that thread and having interacted with that guy a few times, what he meant was 'the image leak hasn't been debunked.' Which, at the time, it hadn't. It was also posted by someone that wasn't that guy originally. The guy's all but stopped posting about it, so he probably found out by now.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I can clip it for you, if you want to take a quick look at it. Doesn't take a lot of time to cut a clip in a way that you see what we're talking about.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

Having been there during that thread and having interacted with that guy a few times, what he meant was 'the image leak hasn't been debunked.' Which, at the time, it hadn't. It was also posted by someone that wasn't that guy originally. The guy's all but stopped posting about it, so he probably found out by now.
Hmm so I think we can rule that leak out too I guess 'cause If he really had insider info he would probably knew that image was fake. There's always the possibility he had info but never saw Ultimate Dante real render, but I doubt it would be the case. I still find it weird that he specifically said November, apparently me and him were the only people who adamantly believe in an October drought...

So, what ruffled Nintendo's feather? Assuming it really happened, of course.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
As a bit of an addendum to the Isabelle guy from September, I thought more about his claims more - taking my qualms about Skull Kid and Geno's exclusion aside:
  • Incineroar, Ken and Dante are the last 3 characters - This would line up with Sakurai's statement about not getting too many newcomer reveals, or at least that the pace of them wouldn't be as fast as most would've expected. If the next reveal happens in a Direct that'd theoretically be the one where we know everyone in the roster, I doubt that we'd get 5 characters or more like the August one and 3 could be a good number to end on. Incineroar and Ken were already leaked by Vergeben, who's had a very good record so far, but considering that he did specifically say that there'd be a Square Enix rep which the Isabelle guy didn't account for, this does hurt it a bit. Dante has a chance going by most of the recent discussion on here, so that could make sense.
  • Dante's reveal is in November - Timing adds up. Dante would absolutely have to be a Direct reveal and the first week of November seems like any good of a time to do it based on previous trends; Nintendo often does a game-specific Direct roughly a month away from the game's release, so that'd put the week of November 7 (or maybe even around Nov. 2 if the Smash bundles are taken into account) as when a Direct could happen.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Ok, now I get what you guys meant by that. That video increased my hopes for DMC on the Switch.

As a bit of an addendum to the Isabelle guy from September, I thought more about his claims more - taking my qualms about Skull Kid and Geno's exclusion aside:
  • Incineroar, Ken and Dante are the last 3 characters - This would line up with Sakurai's statement about not getting too many newcomer reveals, or at least that the pace of them wouldn't be as fast as most would've expected. If the next reveal happens in a Direct that'd theoretically be the one where we know everyone in the roster, I doubt that we'd get 5 characters or more like the August one and 3 could be a good number to end on. Incineroar and Ken were already leaked by Vergeben, who's had a very good record so far, but considering that he did specifically say that there'd be a Square Enix rep which the Isabelle guy didn't account for, this does hurt it a bit. Dante has a chance going by most of the recent discussion on here, so that could make sense.
  • Dante's reveal is in November - Timing adds up. Dante would absolutely have to be a Direct reveal and the first week of November seems like any good of a time to do it based on previous trends; Nintendo often does a game-specific Direct roughly a month away from the game's release, so that'd put the week of November 7 (or maybe even around Nov. 2 if the Smash bundles are taken into account) as when a Direct could happen.
To be honest, I banking on Incineroar and Ken being the last newcomers for the base game, and I think DLC will be handled in a different way this time around.
More in a Splatoon 2 fashion like, with constant little updates in the form of new item, AT, and sometimes stages and characters. If I'm correct, "guest characters" like Dante and the fabled Square-Enix rep (assuming is not Geno) could easily be the first ones to join the party. By now the game should be a in a gold state, so maybe the first DLC batch is already being worked on.

Tinymo

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I banking on Incineroar and Ken being the last newcomers for the base game, and I think DLC will be handled in a different way this time around.
More in a Splatoon 2 fashion like, with constant little updates in the form of new item, AT, and sometimes stages and characters. If I'm correct, "guest characters" like Dante and the fabled Square-Enix rep (assuming is not Geno) could easily be the first ones to join the party. By now the game should be a in a gold state, so maybe the first DLC batch is already being worked on.

I dunno I feel like that would be a pretty sour note to end it on when we got k Rool and ridley so early Dante or not I feel like there is one more surprise hype character in store for us

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I dunno I feel like that would be a pretty sour note to end it on when we got k Rool and ridley so early Dante or not I feel like there is one more surprise hype character in store for us
True, but Sakurai himself stated that they got trigger happy with the reveals, they probably showed their big guns (Ridley and King K. Rool as fan request and Simon as the new third party) too early so now we're just missing the "low profile" characters.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Well,Time to look up MvC3/MvCi tutorials.
I would recommend checking out Maximillian Dood's 'Assist Me' series when it comes to MvC3, but he removed a lot of the character specific videos. If you can find mirrors of them, by all means use them. I personally also recommend staying away from MvCI, as it's just a less fun game overall IMO.

EDIT: Well, in light of the entire roster actually getting leaked this time (you know what I'm talking about), I guess that's that. Like I said, I was only around for leak speculation and the sort. Maybe when DLC season starts picking up, I'll return. For now, though, it's been fun, all. Catch you on the flipside.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Man, remembering this and the "mysterious third party" stuff going around now, I almost want to believe it.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The direct passed, and a lot of characters got deconfirmed. 5 dlc characters. I think Dante has a decent shot. Especially with many possible candidates getting ousted.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
It was hilarious to see all those "leaks" get btfo, especially grinch leak (Which was by far the most toxic one). But as I expected, no Dante.
There're 5 characters coming with DLC, along with their stages and soundtracks, all of this suggest we're getting new IPs and will probably be third parties. I think Dante might have a chance still, especially with so many characters already disconfirmed.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey friends, I wasn't getting notifications for this thread for some reason? Missed some discussion. Anyway, Dante's got a real chance for DLC- possibly big time if they're all already planned! The timing of that old Hideki Kamiya tweet is still highly suspect and very interesting. Could just be a coincidence though. Don't get your hopes up until it happens!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I still think Ken's inclusion shows that there's a good chance that Capcom and Nintendo has worked out a deal for more than just returning fighters and Capcom-related non-fighter content. We can still hope.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Yeah, I see a Capcom character as dlc to be likely. Dante has competition with Phoenix, a RE character and Monster Hunter to name a few for potential characters. Though, I'd imagine Capcom would want someone they'd want to promote, so I'm hedging bets between Dante, Monster Hunter or an RE character.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
AT LEAST WE GOT REUBEN LANGDON VOICE ACTING!
RIGHT?

M-maybe we can mod Ken to be Dante using his gauntlet weapons!

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I'm throwing my hat into the Dante DLC ring. Capcom is probably getting a DLC character again and it probably comes down to Dante, Monster Hunter, or a Resident Evil character. And the idea of DMC x Bayonetta in one game really gets me giddy in my seat, alongside the DLC timeline working out with DMC5's release + (Hopefully) positive reception.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Well, we can confirm the DMC5 leaker pulled a loz18 on us, as there's no way Dante would be so far in DLC development to actually have a Smash trailer done...in July. And if we consider that apparently the first DLC character will be the Square-Enix one, that rules the leaker out.

But for the remaining 4 DLC slot, I think one can be for Capcom and lets face it, Dante is basically the frontrunner in that regards. A RE character would be a nightmare to make, since his moveset can't include realistic weaponry, and Snake already cover the others, a Monster Hunter could be nice but I see it as an odd choice to add as DLC. Dante could be, as already pointed it out, this game Cloud.

Unless the Square-Enix character is Sora. Nothing can beat Sora level of hype.
Time will tell, but for now the game already looks like incredible, and I really love the changes for Online games, can't wait to set 3 minutes Smash with items and FS meter on!

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Well, we can confirm the DMC5 leaker pulled a loz18 on us, as there's no way Dante would be so far in DLC development to actually have a Smash trailer done...in July. And if we consider that apparently the first DLC character will be the Square-Enix one, that rules the leaker out.

But for the remaining 4 DLC slot, I think one can be for Capcom and lets face it, Dante is basically the frontrunner in that regards. A RE character would be a nightmare to make, since his moveset can't include realistic weaponry, and Snake already cover the others, a Monster Hunter could be nice but I see it as an odd choice to add as DLC. Dante could be, as already pointed it out, this game Cloud.

Unless the Square-Enix character is Sora. Nothing can beat Sora level of hype.
Time will tell, but for now the game already looks like incredible, and I really love the changes for Online games, can't wait to set 3 minutes Smash with items and FS meter on!
Yup. Dude had real info on DMC5, but embellished it with Smash news. I'm not sure how much effect it will have in determining Dante, as the direct implied the DLC characters were planned for a while, and are right in active development. I guess our best evidence for Dante as dlc is that tweet by Kamiya.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Man even if DLC comes out, Dante chances are not 100% and we'll have to wait a LONG time. Honestly, I'm giving up after the Direct since the whole thing was really dissapointing.

Devil May Cry 5 is the only game I'm looking forward to now. That being said hope you guys enjoy the game since I probably won't.

thisguyisnotcool

Smash Cadet
Bummer that Dante leaks were fake. Here's hoping for dlc Not even sure what his chances are. Capcom would probably go for MH first. Oh well at least we got DMC5

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Bummer that Dante leaks were fake. Here's hoping for dlc Not even sure what his chances are. Capcom would probably go for MH first. Oh well at least we got DMC5
I'd love to have Dante for DLC (and maybe also Jin from Tekken)

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I want Dante as DLC, but I feel like it's wishful thinking at this point (not as much as other never-evers like Geno or Banjo though). Dante's English VA, Reuben Langdon, is already on board for Ken, but I'm unsure if his Japanese VA, Toshiyuki Morikawa, is as well. As far as voice acting goes though, if Dante does get in, it could mean Final Fantasy's Sephiroth (potential Square Enix rep; same Japanese VA as Dante) is not farfetched, vice versa. But it's already going to be Sora or Geno...

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I mean, all things considered, he still has something of a pretty decent shot as DLC.

• At the very least, I'd wager that maybe Itsuno/Matt being aware of "Dante in Smash" stuff could convince either them or Sakurai to approach the other. (This is under the assumption that the 5 slots haven't already been finalized and Dante isn't in them.)
  • He's still one of the more well-known characters Capcom has, even if he doesn't have that legacy with Nintendo other characters like Phoenix Wright and Viewtiful Joe have.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
"Legacy with Nintendo" isn't really even an argument or a factor after we got Cloud as DLC. All that matters is how iconic the character is.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
There's always the possibility that Capcom got a reserved DLC slot. If Capcom and Sakurai left it open because neither were completely sure which character to use yet, then Dante got a decent chance.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
"Legacy with Nintendo" isn't really even an argument or a factor after we got Cloud as DLC. All that matters is how iconic the character is.
That may be the case, but try beating that into the heads of others who are like "screw Dante ew what has he ever done with nintendo no"

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Legacy with Nintendo might actually matter this time given Nintendo is the one who gave Sakurai the list of DLC choices. Ouch, looks like my post got dated in less than a week.

Cybertechwerewolf

Smash Rookie
I don't care about leaks or any of that

I want Dante in Smash, no matter what.

Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4 are 3 of my favorite games of all-time and I love them dearly.

And Devil May Cry 5 100% is my most wanted game launching in 2019. It looks absolutely stunning.

Dante is IMO the best original moveset character from Capcom's roster to add.

Dante is amazing in the Marvel vs. Capcom series in a way that rivals Strider's amazing design, but he's got an added coolness and flashiness that would translate SO INCREDIBLY WELL INTO SMASH BROTHERS. There's so much in Dante to tap into for Smash, and all of it would be incredible in Smash.

Dante is probably one of the best 3rd party characters to be birthed in the Gen 6 (PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GameCube/GBA) era too (only other character that comes to mind ironically is Sora, a character from another hack n slash action series), and would fit into that style perfectly in Smash.

With all his weapons, unique styles of fighting, stance changes, and abilities, Dante in Smash Bros would be a hand in glove fit, a killer party and absolutely stunning to see.

Plus c'mon... Dante vs. Bayonetta is a match up made in heaven. YOU CAN'T TELL ME YOU DON'T WANT THAT MATCH UP IN SMASH BROS!!!

And this song would be amazing in Smash Bros:
Here are my Idea's for Dante in Smash:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I'm so very excited. They did a fantastic job with Castlevania so I absolutely trust DMC in their hands. Hopefully we're getting a good animated adaptation out of it this time.

AND PLEASE PLEASE CAST REUBEN AS DANTE AND ALSO EVERYONE ELSE IN THEIR PROPER ROLES

Last edited:

Tinymo

Smash Rookie
I had a lightbulb if everyone recalls the DMC switch port leak thing whatever. If that turns out to be true that increases Dante's chances drastically or Atleast in the eyes of the people that think characters have to appear on a nintendo system first for some reason

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I had a lightbulb if everyone recalls the DMC switch port leak thing whatever. If that turns out to be true that increases Dante's chances drastically or Atleast in the eyes of the people that think characters have to appear on a nintendo system first for some reason
Smash can really give exposure to new franchises. If Dante join Smash as DLC along a DMC port for the switch, many Nintendo fans will at least give a shot to the game.

Top Bottom