• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

Tinymo

Smash Rookie

Damn welp if you just search "Dante in Smash bro" in google you'll find it

Tinymo

Smash Rookie
That's the first place i'm going
the only thing is that this roster was made in like late 2015 - 2016 so like...unless sakurai is a time traveler (or if capcom let him have access to the song i dunnno) it probably wont be added unless it's like last minute

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That's the first place i'm going
the only thing is that this roster was made in like late 2015 - 2016 so like...unless sakurai is a time traveler (or if capcom let him have access to the song i dunnno) it probably wont be added unless it's like last minute
Adding a song is a lot easier than adding a character lol

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Isn't that logo in the "video" a bit big? doesn't fit neatly in a square like every other series logo. Unless it's not meant to be like the actual video uploads by Nintendo.

Last edited:

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
I guess you're referring to this (you can find it in the Matt Walker tweet.

I usually only believe what I can see with my own eyes, such as the prediction of Dante's motorcycle weapon, so I'll discard this supposed soundtrack. Its too easy to fake it with few minutes of photoshop, until I can actually see proof of the removed video I'll just assume is a fake (probably unrelated to the DMCV leaker).
I had a screenshot somewhere on my phone but it is charging so gimme a sec
but i'm sure if you look you can find it also should point out the claim was supposedly by nintendo
The track they used for that was a Blue Stahli song, according to those who heard it. Blue Stahli said he could neither confirm nor deny he was doing work for DMC5, so take that as you will. There was a screencap for this, but I've since lost it, so all I can really do is ask you to trust me unless I find it again. No clue if it was taken down by Nintendo or not, as you can file copyright claims on yourself, too.

Isn't that logo in the "video" a bit big? doesn't fit neatly in a square like every other series logo. Unless it's not meant to be like the actual video uploads by Nintendo.
I've accepted that if that video is real (I can try and find the link, but there's no archive for it on Wayback, so you're not going to be able to see it), it's a placeholder logo made by whoever dropped it. No series logos have the title specifically in them, keep in mind, and the sillhouette is from the anime instead of any of the games. That said, it's been verified on a couple of occasions that it was a Blue Stahli song.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Adding a song is a lot easier than adding a character lol
Now that I think about it, the DMCV leaker never mentioned any song regarding the Dante trailer.

The track they used for that was a Blue Stahli song, according to those who heard it. Blue Stahli said he could neither confirm nor deny he was doing work for DMC5, so take that as you will. There was a screencap for this, but I've since lost it, so all I can really do is ask you to trust me unless I find it again. No clue if it was taken down by Nintendo or not, as you can file copyright claims on yourself, too.

I've accepted that if that video is real (I can try and find the link, but there's no archive for it on Wayback, so you're not going to be able to see it), it's a placeholder logo made by whoever dropped it. No series logos have the title specifically in them, keep in mind, and the sillhouette is from the anime instead of any of the games. That said, it's been verified on a couple of occasions that it was a Blue Stahli song.
If someone really leaked a real song he would probably have slapped a random logo for the video. I don't know Blue Stahli, but what are the chances he did a song for a supposed Dante trailer for Smash?

A speaking about songs, in this comment the (supposed) DMCV leaker says that at the 2:08 mark of the original DMCV trailer you can briefly hear Shootie's voice. I tried to listend and while, yes, you can hear "something", I cannot confirm its actually Shootie's, can someone else more familiar give a try?

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
If someone really leaked a real song he would probably have slapped a random logo for the video. I don't know Blue Stahli, but what are the chances he did a song for a supposed Dante trailer for Smash?
Well, Blue Stahli's worked with Capcom before. For a different series, sure, he was one of the two guys doing Dead Rising 2's soundtracks, but he's worked with Capcom before, so it's not out of the question.

A speaking about songs, in this comment the (supposed) DMCV leaker says that at the 2:08 mark of the original DMCV trailer you can briefly hear Shootie's voice. I tried to listend and while, yes, you can hear "something", I cannot confirm its actually Shootie's, can someone else more familiar give a try?
Yeah, I did hear it when it came out. If you compare it to Shootie's vocals on 'Taste the Blood,' (or any of the other songs he did. His vocals are all over DMC3 and 4) it does sound remotely similar. However, that doesn't change the fact that Shootie is currently running a petition to get onto DMC5's soundtrack without any mention of working on Subhuman before, so I kind of doubt they used anything other than his takes made for older DMC games, if they even used him at all. There might have been a soundalike involved, but just given how Shootie's trying to work his way into DMC5 as a whole right now, I doubt he was on the project before.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The song was, according to this reddit post, an instrumental of a remix of a really good Blue Stahli song. Definitely fake.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Yeah, I did hear it when it came out. If you compare it to Shootie's vocals on 'Taste the Blood,' (or any of the other songs he did. His vocals are all over DMC3 and 4) it does sound remotely similar. However, that doesn't change the fact that Shootie is currently running a petition to get onto DMC5's soundtrack without any mention of working on Subhuman before, so I kind of doubt they used anything other than his takes made for older DMC games, if they even used him at all. There might have been a soundalike involved, but just given how Shootie's trying to work his way into DMC5 as a whole right now, I doubt he was on the project before.
So its safe to assume the DMCV leaker just supposed Shootie would be involved then, just like he supposed DMC4:SE will be re-released (remember, he said "expect").
That hurts his credibility a bit, but I'm still on my theory that he pulled a loz18 to boost Dante's chances to be in Smash, especially after he piggybacked our posts here.

The song was, according to this reddit post, an instrumental of a remix of a really good Blue Stahli song. Definitely fake.
Oh, so that video did existed but was a clear fake. Maybe that was what spawned the rumor in the first place.
I just realized this whole thread to me is more an investigation puzzle than a DMC appreciation thread, lol!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, if Dante did get in, I have to womder what design they would choose. Obviously excluding DMCV Dante, are they gonna go with the most popular and obvious DMC3 design, the classic DMC1 Design ala Project X Zone or use his most recent DMC4 design?

Personally, I'm really banking on the DMC3 design. Also helps that design has my favorite DT design.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I like DMC2 outfit...easily the only thing I like from that game. But the DMC4 is pretty rad too.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
See, Kamiya already did a poll on which Dante should interact with Bayonetta, right in 2015. DMC4 Dante was the most voted out of all of those options. Personally, if weapons are tied with the appearance, then DMC3 would be preferable, just because of that moveset variety. However, DMC4 Dante brings Style Switching to the table if it's tied directly to when he appeared. Of course, they could do a composite like they did in Project X Zone, with DMC1 Dante using 3's weapons.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Cerberus is back

And a new weapon called Faust which is a huge Michael Jackson homage

Bring back Nevan and we good.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Cerberus is back

And a new weapon called Faust which is a huge Michael Jackson homage

Bring back Nevan and we good.

Ok, now I understand why the DMCV leaker said "You'll have to wait and see the weapons for yourself, trust me, they're worth not spoiling", those are amazing!

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Looks like we're getting a weapon based on an old enemy in the franchise. Think we'll get any more of these?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
God I hope they bring back some of the older weapons as skins now that we got Cerberus back.

Beowulf and Gilgamesh are super cool designs that I'd love to see over Balrog. Plus, we already got Sparda as a skin of Rebellion so there's some precedence for it.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Okay, so, not only are we getting just Cerberus, but Cerberus with two new modes, which, if Balrog is anything to go by, 3 unique movesets total. The Faust Hat is a gun, as Dante uses Rebellion with it still equipped.

Cavalier R and the rest of the Deluxe Edition weapons are sidegrades, that got confirmed at the panel too.

Plus, we already got Sparda as a skin of Rebellion so there's some precedence for it.
Pretty sure that isn't going to be just a skin and Dante's actually going to get it in the game at some point, considering he actually has it in the cutscenes for his demo. Given that most of the weapons Dante has seem to have multiple movesets, I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a scythe-based one.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Faust is absolutely stunning. And Cerberus has a new mode? I cannot wait for this game.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Faust is absolutely stunning. And Cerberus has a new mode? I cannot wait for this game.
Two new modes, actually. Fire 3-section staff, and electric chain/whip. On top of the ice 3 head nunchuk.

EDIT: New news, everyone. Vergeben hinted at/leaked MvC4, which is just a rebranded MvCI update/patch.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...pening-will-be-re-branded-marvel-vs-capcom-4/
(There are screencaps with his Reddit posts provided)

Can you guess which character was previously stated by him and he's still going with?
I'll give you a hint. He's motivated.
Yep. It's Vergil.
Now, I don't follow Vergeben often, though my opinion on him's softened a tiny bit. Considering he didn't have all the info before for Smash, I'm assuming that just hasn't changed. If this is true (which, we probably won't know for a while. We've got a year, apparently, full of waiting to see how this pans out), then that's the one thing we "couldn't check off the second post" of the DMC5 leak checked off. Meaning we're one step closer.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
EDIT: New news, everyone. Vergeben hinted at/leaked MvC4, which is just a rebranded MvCI update/patch.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...pening-will-be-re-branded-marvel-vs-capcom-4/

Can you guess which character was previously stated by him and he's still going with?
Yep. It's Vergil.
Now, I don't follow Vergeben often, though my opinion on him's softened a tiny bit. Considering he didn't have all the info before for Smash, I'm assuming that just hasn't changed. If this is true (which, we probably won't know for a while. We've got a year, apparently, full of waiting to see how this pans out), then that's the one thing we "couldn't check off the second post" of the DMC5 leak checked off. Meaning we're one step closer.
I thought the same thing, but the DMCV leaker said that season 2 was scrapped and Vergil reached a playable state. If this is a rebrand we won't know anyway if Vergil is made from reused asset from the scrapped season or if is brand new, and even Vergeben said that, among others, he is one of the most logical inclusion.
The real dealbreaker would be DMC4:SE on the Switch to almost confirm the Dante leak.

Speaking of which, the second 4chan thread were the supposedly DMCV leaker came back got archived, anyone got a link for the archived version?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Two new modes, actually. Fire 3-section staff, and electric chain/whip. On top of the ice 3 head nunchuk.

Yep. It's Vergil.
Don't buy it for a second. Vergeben has been spouting MvCi update rumours for months, with nothing panning out. But let's say it is real, that wouldn't help Dante's case for Smash since a whole MvCi update has been a rumour even before Smash Ultimate was unveiled.

Last edited:

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Speaking of which, the second 4chan thread were the supposedly DMCV leaker came back got archived, anyone got a link for the archived version?
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/433667198/
I was there, after all.

Don't buy it for a second. Vergeben has been spouting MvCi update rumours for months, with nothing panning out. But let's say it is real, that wouldn't help Dante's case for Smash since a whole MvCi update has been a rumour even before Smash Ultimate was unveiled.
Like I said, I don't fully trust Vergeben, just judging by the amount of backpeddaling he's done, but assets getting reused from MvCI and being put into a new package doesn't seem entirely implausable, just given that they reused animation assets for a good chunk of characters from UMvC3 to begin with. Even then, though, we're a ways off from this anyways, but it's strange that we got both this and the Interview with Matt and Itsuno where they both said they'd love to bring DMC to Switch on the same day.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Infinite was a great game that got unfairly panned almost entirely for its presentation. That's not to say that it wasn't justified- it does look bad and the music is poor, but truthfully almost the entire media presence for that game was focused around how bad it looked and how Dragon Ball FighterZ blew it out of the water in presentation.

Regardless, Capcom reusing its core systems with a fresh coat of paint makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Infinite was a great game that got unfairly panned almost entirely for its presentation.
You forgot missing characters just to solely chase after the MCU ones, 2v2 instead of 3v3, Reality Stone being almost a necessity because it was so broken, etc. It wasn't even close to just being the presentation, though I'll give you that it was a major part of it. Missing characters like the X-Men, that have been with the series in every game up to that point, the Fantastic Four, characters that are almost exclusively in the comics, etc., and then getting rid of fan favorite Capcom characters from the previous game was another huge blow. That 'Functions' interview killed what hype could've been there to begin with for me.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
You forgot missing characters just to solely chase after the MCU ones, 2v2 instead of 3v3, Reality Stone being almost a necessity because it was so broken, etc. It wasn't even close to just being the presentation, though I'll give you that it was a major part of it. Missing characters like the X-Men, that have been with the series in every game up to that point, the Fantastic Four, characters that are almost exclusively in the comics, etc., and then getting rid of fan favorite Capcom characters from the previous game was another huge blow. That 'Functions' interview killed what hype could've been there to begin with for me.
Wasn't a lot of missing characters due to some feud Disney had with Fox or something?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yes it was Disney restricting them. They're not allowed to talk about that and the 'Functions' interview was their poor attempt at saving face.

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
Alright, back to the leaks thing, we have a finally definitive source on the image leak. It was, in fact, a real piece of gameplay, but it wasn't from Smash Ultimate. It was a Smash 4 mod, go figure.

At least it wasn't painted.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
It was a Smash 4 mod
Thank you for sharing, I knew it was too rubbish to be part of Ultimate artwork. Who's the Zero Suit Samus girl? I've seen her before but I don't remember where...

Back to the topic, I noticed the general discussion thread was talking about that image in response to this:
Guy who leaked Cloud in Smash 4 says there's real image leak out there

Everyone is dismissing Dante because his image is proved to be fake (or more like, not a leak from Ultimate), but if you read the guy on Resetera he never claim the "real leak" to be an actual image.

He says, and I quote:

It appears that we indeed have a legit leak on our hands.
and later:

I don't know which leak it is, but I would have to assume it was image-based to catch attention. Yes, this means that I have a decent idea of which character it is, but it's ultimately total speculation on my part because, again, I don't know which specific leak it might be. I only think I have an idea because of where I heard it from and what not.
He's ASSUMING is image based (and no, it's not the Ken one) in order to catch attention, but real talk here: all images leaks so far are terrible quality. Take this "Geno leak", for example. Is nowhere near close to Ultimate level of artwork, and the only image leak who come close to it is the specifically disconfirmed Ken leak. Also, they are always the same characters: Skull Kid, Isaac, Steve, Geno, Incineroar, and some terrible Shadow and Sora here and there.

So maybe, just maybe, the leak who "ruffled some feathers" at Nintendo is not an image leak? So what about text leaks?
Well, they are everywhere, and they gain literally no traction because they always have the same characters in it...as in Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, Steve, Incineroar, Ken, and some hipster who put Sora/Shadow/Dixie to not completely piggyback Vergeben and other (fake) leakers.
So I was thinking, how many other "leaks" gained some traction even without an image? Specifically, hinting at characters that are not in the 4chan text leak of the day?

There aren't many of them. Even if you look at the top pick on this forum, they usually dig in "evidence of X character being foreshadowed" like Wayforward being suspiciously silent about Shantae in Smash, Sakurai's tweet about a supposed Golden Sun reference, Skull Kid AT missing and so on...those are theories and speculation, not leaks...

So, again, how many leaks are either equally/more credible quality wise than the Ken one, or leaking a character that's not in literally every fake leak (and subsequently could stood out of the crowd) and ALSO gained some traction?

Add the fact that the DMCV leaker was (in the DMC part) legit, and the Dante4smash thing was basically kickstarted by him...
...to quote a wise man, "Things are really getting interesting now, eh Chris?".

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Dante truly is in Smash, then it would make sense if it annoyed Nintendo internally. He'd be an excellent choice for a Cloud-style newcomer who shakes the internet with his announcement. If he's leaked though or at least becomes far more commonly speculated than Nintendo would want though, then it's far harder to surprise fans with his announcement.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Thank you for sharing, I knew it was too rubbish to be part of Ultimate artwork. Who's the Zero Suit Samus girl? I've seen her before but I don't remember where...
She's Noel Vermillion from Blazblue

JustinTheGuy

Smash Cadet
So, again, how many leaks are either equally/more credible quality wise than the Ken one, or leaking a character that's not in literally every fake leak (and subsequently could stood out of the crowd) and ALSO gained some traction?
This goes off the assumption that the Cloud leaker knows what's going on internally at Nintendo. We don't know if the guy really does or not. However, if it does happen to be Dante, I'd say Matt, for all intents and purposes, was the major sign we needed. He supposedly almost got in deep trouble with Nintendo and Capcom after the Capcom Confidential where he was baited into getting really excited for Dante in Smash before being forced to make some clarifying statements.
There was also this moment during the interview at NYCC.
https://youtu.be/IYiwSV1HuoM?t=500
Make of this what you will. Between Itsuno wanting to see DMC on Switch in some capacity, Matt wanting it, etc. I think there's a chance they might have something in the works. This is, of course, speculation on my end, but things like that really get me thinking.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I think it's somewhat telling (bit of a stretch here but I'll try nonetheless) that when someone tried to ask him about how he knew it wasn't Ken he was implying, he said that it was a matter that he wasn't at liberty to discuss.

If I had to spin it in a way which leans towards Dante, then I wager that he could be aware of the specifics between Nintendo and Capcom's relationship for Smash, which could explain a bit as to why he can specifically mark Ken out. A good point was made when Dante was compared to Cloud as being a very unexpected newcomer pick; Ken would likely be less of a priority in comparison.

Realistically though, I feel like it could be a Square Enix rep. The leaker was one of the only few guys who called Cloud back in Smash 4 and it's a bit well-known that Square Enix hates leakers a lot. That could bleed over to Nintendo, especially if it's someone like Geno.

Top Bottom