• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
we probably won't really know much of Dantes chances until we see how the post pass characters are handled. As I said, I'd like to believe they'll follow a similar path to our current DLC so far, but you never know, they might go full 1st party or something (which would kill any interest on my end outside of maybe a Kirby character, but that's besides the point).

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Dante is not only a character that I would love to see added, but I also believe him to be one of the most likely characters for post fighter pass. Also, him and Bayonneta finaly meeting would be so awesome.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
we probably won't really know much of Dantes chances until we see how the post pass characters are handled. As I said, I'd like to believe they'll follow a similar path to our current DLC so far, but you never know, they might go full 1st party or something (which would kill any interest on my end outside of maybe a Kirby character, but that's besides the point).
I think this quote back from the Banjo presentation decreases if not flat out eliminates the possibility of veteran universes having an additional newcomer. Personally, I wonder what first party universes can be represented with a fighter at this point. But imagine if we get another Fire Emblem or Pokemon character, haha.

Plus the Devil May Cry universe isn't featured in Smash in any capacity as of writing so Dante's not out of the running.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think this quote back from the Banjo presentation decreases if not flat out eliminates the possibility of veteran universes having an additional newcomer. Personally, I wonder what first party universes can be represented with a fighter at this point. But imagine if we get another Fire Emblem or Pokemon character, haha.

Plus the Devil May Cry universe isn't featured in Smash in any capacity as of writing so Dante's not out of the running.
it's certainly worth considering, but they could still use unrepped 1st parties (recently Astral Chain feels like the frontrunner after Arms guy was relegated to AT), which I don't mind, but I haven't really cared for new Ninty IPs since the original Smash. I don't think this community will be pretty if we get more Pokemon or FE, but I can't blame them, I'm personally sick of them getting characters, although echoes I wouldn't care as much I guess, for FE in particular I'd rather see them get their own fighting game or something so maybe we see a non protagonist playable for once.
So uh...this is an interesting turn
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78218788?page=5#51
I don't think I can get excited for fighter 5 anymore with all these supposed disconfirmations, but I sure as hell I'm curious to who it is.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I want to mention some more things I thought of for Dante:

So you know how Bayonetta combos well, and the way she was balanced with having these combos was to add landing lag to her special moves? Well, I imagine with such a crazy moveset that I envisioned for Dante, there would need to be some sort of limiter for balance as well. And that limiter would consist of how much damage and knockback he would perform per hit. Hear me out on this:

Introducing the Style system as part of his unique quirks! We all know how this works in the DMC games; the more variety of moves you pull off in a combo, the higher the style ranking. The way I visualize how this works in Smash is the higher the style ranking, the more knockback Dante gains from his moves, thus making it more difficult to combo to reach the next level of style. As you can imagine, in order to consistently pull off KOs at the average killing percentages with sufficient knockback on his moves, the player would need to have at least an S rank style (SSS rank would have moves at max knockback); having this as a requirement would promote more creativity and style to finish off opponents. To summarize, the (base) knockback of his moves is tied to his Style Rank, which increases from slightly to signficantly with each higher rank achieved. Also, getting hit moderately lowers your style rank.

Now let's get to the damage aspect of his "limiter".
With the moveset I created for Dante, he would have many ways to combo consistently with the most hits Smash has ever seen. To balance this out, most of his moves, if not all, would net roughly around 1%. That's right; you read that right. 1%. This sounds harsh, right? I mean, imagine any character in Smash that would have all their moves hit for 1%. That's ridiculously bad for your standard Smash character, but for Dante, this would be appropriate. This would also make him even more difficult to play and master than his moveset would already do! However, with the insane amount of hits Dante is capable of landing, having each of them deal 1% (2% in Devil Trigger) could equate to a simple 3 hit combo from your average Smash character. Basically, Dante players would have to combo more moves for the same damage than players of other characters.

By combining both aspects of his balancing limiter and for Dante to be played effectively, players would need to combo stylishly and efficiently with a technical moveset. Dante would be a high reward character with a high skill floor and ceiling; he would not be a beginner friendly character, but he would be well worth the effort to master in a competitive environment.

In closing, Dante would be a nice contrast to Bayonetta, who is a character that can rack up damage easily in a combo and would be easier to play. Bayonetta can also struggle to kill at times, but Dante would have a plethora of kill options once he reaches S rank, while inputting the most miniscule of damage per hit.
One can dream, but a moveset I came up with:
Unique quirks:
- Is allowed at least 1 Enemy Step (cancels a move) (refreshes Air Hike/double jump and has the detection range extending a bit past that of a normal footstool) per air time (2 in Devil Trigger)
- Has a wall jump (Wall Hike)
- Has Rebellion and Ebony&Ivory as his main weapons that Style Switch only affects (there are a few exceptions).
- Various devil arm attacks will be represented mostly through standard attacks.
- Has DT gauge (based on successfully landing hits ONLY and loses all progress when losing a stock) and Royal Gauge (based on successful Royal Block attempts) (does not lose progress when losing a stock).
- Devil Trigger activated/deactivated with Shield+Special input (air ok) (Can break out of command/normal grabs) (can be used during startup/active/cooldown frames) (Increases damage/speed and steadily, but slowly recovers health)

Specials:

-Neutral Special: Style Switch (Trickster, Swordmaster, Gunslinger, Royalguard) Used similarly to activating Shulk's Monado Arts, by pointing among the 4 cardinal directions to choose style; Up for Trickster, Right for Swordmaster, Left for Gunslinger, Down for Royalguard. Can be used during startup/active/cooldown frames and hitstun. Trickster is the initial Style at the start of the match.

-Side Special (Trickster): Dash/Double Dash/Triple Dash (crosses up and intangible only on 1st Dash) (ground), Sky Star (air), Flipper (when hit)
(Swordmaster): Prop (first input) (ground) Shredder (2nd input) (ground), Aerial Rave (air)
(Gunslinger): Gun Stinger (ground) (can combo into Cut-in-Front/Cut-in-Back), Fireworks Air (air)
(Royalguard): Royal Release (ground) (cooldown added on failed attempt), Air (Royal) Release (air) (cooldown added on failed attempt)

-Up Special (Trickster): Air Trick (can act afterwards)/Flipper (when hit)
(Swordmaster): Dance Macabre (ground), Firestorm (air)
(Gunslinger): Acid Rain (ground), Blaster (air)
(Royalguard): Royal Revenge (uses 1 stock of Royal Gauge) (more cooldown frames added depending on how long it is held)

-Down Special (Trickster): Ground Trick/Flipper (when hit)
(Swordmaster): Drive (ground) (tap twice for Quick Drive) (hold for Over Drive), The Hammer (air)
(Gunslinger): Twosome Time (ground) (locks on) (hold for continuous fire), Honeycomb Fire (ground) (tap repeatedly), Rain Storm (air)
(Royalguard): Royal Block (ground) (cooldown added on failed attempt), Air (Royal) Block (air) (cooldown added on failed attempt)

-Quarter Circle (Down) Forward Special:
(Ground) Round Trip
(Air) Friction/Full House/Killer Bee

Standard Attacks:

-Jab: Rebellion Combo A (3 hits), Rebellion Combo B (4 hits) (Combos into Million Stab)
-Dash Attack: Stinger (Combos into Million Stab)

-Forward Tilt: Lucifer Combo A, Lucifer Combo B, Lucifer Combo C, Lucifer Combo D, Lucifer Combo E
-Up Tilt: High Time (hold to lift into the air)
-Down Tilt: Reverb Shock (Combos into Jam Session)

-Forward Smash: Crystal (Combos into Million Carats)
-Up Smash: Real Impact
-Down Smash: Volcano (Combos into Beehive)

-Neutral Air: Sky Dance (only the initial hits before its traditional descent) (input fast fall to halt horizontal momentum and descend)
-Forward Air: Revolver
-Back Air: Splash
-Up Air: Updraft
-Down Air: Helm Breaker

-Forward Throw: Jet Stream (Combos into Crazy Dance)
-Back Throw: Backslide
-Up Throw: Twister (Combos into Tempest)
-Down Throw: Wild Stomp

-Side Taunt: *Beckons* Alright, baby! You're not scared, are you? Come on!
-Up Taunt: *Laughs* Guts and honor!
-Down Taunt: *Claps* Hey, what's up?
-Taunt (air): Rose Toss (Ecstasy)

-Final Smash:
(Far) Million Dollars (Jackpot!)
(Near) Devil Must Die (You're finished! Here's the finale! And that's how you do it)
I just want to bring attention to the moveset I came up with a long while back. This is my ideal moveset with style switching incorporated, but I know if Dante gets in, he likely won't have that mechanic in order to avoid making him too complicated for new players. I do think he should at least have representation of his multiple devil arms and devil trigger (not as a final smash). His final smash can be what I mentioned above or his Sparda/SDT form depending on what costume is being represented.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Apparently Grasshoper isn't out, so I guess Travis somehow survived that onslaught (given that verge is right that is). Otherwise, it pretty much boils down to lesser known western devs or indies (some have brought up the likes of Rockstar, EA and even Sony, but I don't buy any of them for a second).
Regardless of verges credibility on this though, I was ready for fighter 5 to not be someone for me anyhow.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Nah if that's to be believed Travis is indeed out because Marvelous co-owns the No More Heroes IP. Has me stumped on who it could be, and I hope it's false ngl. Unless it's an indie character, which would be amazing for an indie dev to be represented in the biggest fighting game of all time with a playable rep, I'm not very pleased about the remaining possibilities.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
If what vergeben, sabi and nazyrus said is true then there will be no hype for me. I will not be mad except if it's Steve but I will not care.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wouldn't count on Steve if Verge is right given Microsoft owns Mojang anyhow. But yeah, I'm curious on who it could be, but not really excited, given that verge isn't wrong.
Edit: and apparently vergeben just did one hell of an oopsie and only a few characters where supposedly disconfirmed, no that ridiculous list of companies.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I talked about some "hint" like this one on some French board, I don't think it was specifically for dlc 5 but I also think that Dante has huge chances :
-What Itsuno said.
-Kamiya who said he would love to see a game where Dante and Bayo meet each other.
-Kamiya also made a poll about which character we'd like to see in smash and Dante was winning by far if I remember correctly (although this poll was deleted since people thought it was a confirmation about the characters)
-Capcom and Itsuno seems to want to push DMC even further since the huge success of DMC 5 with all of the "DMC is back" thing even at the game award.
-With RE chances been pretty much annihilated DMC become the most likely Capcom rep
-Speaking of Bayonetta, wouldn't it make sense that they add Bayonnetta "ancestor" /biggest inspiration?

I wouldn't say that Dante is confirmed by any mean but I think he has many chances to at least be one of the future dlc.

D

Deleted member

I think Dante will happen since Capcom is really pushing the series in different types of media and merchandise. I think the Switch ports where planned ahead of time and I find it weird that they are dropping them in different times of the year instead of the full ting in a single drop.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
-Speaking of Bayonetta, wouldn't it make sense that they add Bayonnetta "ancestor" /biggest inspiration?
Given how they handled Banjo's announcement by kind of picking on the idea that :ultduckhunt: was the next best thing possible during Sm4sh, I'd say Dante would make a lot of sense as another character to seek for DLC or something. I haven't really followed speculation for fighter 5 much lately, things felt quite blurry post game awards and with the likes of verge and sabi just sorta losing credibility over the matter (the former particularly after their blunders), but I'm not quite feeling a Capcom character will be it as strongly as I used to.

D

Deleted member

Given how they handled Banjo's announcement by kind of picking on the idea that :ultduckhunt: was the next best thing possible during Sm4sh, I'd say Dante would make a lot of sense as another character to seek for DLC or something. I haven't really followed speculation for fighter 5 much lately, things felt quite blurry post game awards and with the likes of verge and sabi just sorta losing credibility over the matter (the former particularly after their blunders), but I'm not quite feeling a Capcom character will be it as strongly as I used to.
I don’t expect Dante as the 5th character in the pass due to planning timing. I took the leaker’s lack of knowledge as a sign that the fighter wasn’t coming as soon as we thought.

D

Deleted member

Hoping for Dante myself. Devil May Cry seems awesome He’d be an amazing addition I’ll be rooting for him!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
the only move I'd say is missing from Dantes core moveset is roundtrip/sword pierce

I always thought that could be his side B while Drive could be some added gimmick by holding the A button, but that does mess with the idea of over/quick drive so uh...I guess it could only fit under a theoretic 5th special move like Terry?

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Roundtrip was originally on my plan but it would complicate things too much, as it would require non-sword moves for all inputs that used the sword. This works in DMC because Dante already has a punch moveset alongside his sword moves. Although DMC4 and 5 doesn't do this, I'm more a fan of Round Trip functioning like it does in 1 and 3 so I opted not to include it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I was kinda not satisfied with some of the logos people used for Dante, so I made one using his DMC5 Dante one.

View attachment 248658View attachment 248800

I'd be fine of course with DMC1 Trish or DMC3 Dante silhouette, but definitely not the Order of the Sword logo, lol.
Didn't see this back then. Very cool logos.
DMC1 Trish logo is always the first one that comes to my mind when I think about the franchise tho. Honestly I hope Sakurai doesn't go for the Rebellion as the logo if Dante is in Ultimate.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think the Dante's logo from DMC 5 would fit most than trish or dmc 3 , it has both rebellion and E&I which are the most iconic weapons from DMC.

D

Deleted member

I made a video if you wanna look at that.
Great move set takes his Ebony and Ivory hand pistols, and Rebellion sword into account plus also utilizes a lot of his signature moves good job! Also cool picture for Devil May Cry.

D

Deleted member

Here's to a good one with Dante and joining Smash and more Devil May Cry news to follow.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We're due some incoming DMC info

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Eldrake

Smash Lord

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm just gonna call it now, for one of these SSSpecial days, Dante gets Nintendo-based costumes in DMC3 just like Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Surprised that they're spreading out this info over three days, considering that the other DMC Switch releases were basically just what we got on the HD Collection.

I feel like the "something extra" for the Switch version is going to be something relatively minor, like having Vergil unlocked right off the bat, but I'll be getting the Switch version regardless, so it will be interesting to see what they add.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm just gonna call it now, for one of these SSSpecial days, Dante gets Nintendo-based costumes in DMC3 just like Bayonetta.
Probably the same for Vergil and Lady. Would be interesting to see who they get though Samus is an obvious call for Lady.

D

Deleted member

More Devil May Cry news that's awesome should be cool to hear.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Even if the new things are small changes I think it's cool for them to do something more for a such beloved game. Honestly I don't think I will pick the game again on Switch, mostly because the game won't have a physical release which annoys me. But if they announce cool features for DMC3 I will probably buy the game in the future.

Who knows. Maybe they will add Mario as a secret boss xD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if the new things are small changes I think it's cool for them to do something more for a such beloved game. Honestly I don't think I will pick the game again on Switch, mostly because the game won't have a physical release which annoys me. But if they announce cool features for DMC3 I will probably buy the game in the future.

Who knows. Maybe they will add Mario as a secret boss xD
Bayonetta boss fight, to anger and confuse Sega even further.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
And then surprise : Vergil for smash.
No just kidding but I wonder what the extra would be. Maybe a tease for either Vergil dlc for DMC5 or DMC V SE (or a Vergil related news since you know, motivated...)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think Capcom and Matt Walker are hinting Vergil DLC for DMC5. I would like that, but they are teasing new features for DMC3 on Switch so Vergil playable in DMC5 is a completely different thing.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah probably not... But then what could it be? Is it just the fact that Vergil is playable? A tease for something Vergil related? (like a Vergil spin off) or a remake? That would be weird to announce a remake of the same game, right?

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
It's probably just the Style Switching.

Will say this though: all three of those dates Matt Walker listed are possible Direct dates. We've a Pokemon Direct this week and one trend people've brought up is that a general Nintendo Direct is probably gonna follow in the coming weeks. January 16 would be exactly a week away from the Pokemon Direct on the 9th, so there's that - we could get more information on what they'd add to DMC3 on Switch by then.

My id desperately wants this to be related to Dante in Smash, but there's realistically no threads to look at and follow.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah 3 days for news about one game seems a bit too much haha, definitely curious…

Top Bottom