• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's only the rain" - Dante for Smash Ultimate (Mii Costume'd)

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah Ebony and Ivory despite being ridiculous are clearly just heavily modified M1911s.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

SpookyMajora just posted a cool Smash-styled render of (DMC3) Dante. Kinda wish there was a transparent version.
That's an awesome looking render!

Also, I don't know why you say that the dream line-up in your signature is trash; I'd love to see that as the fighters pass!

RWyvern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RWyvern

SpookyMajora just posted a cool Smash-styled render of (DMC3) Dante. Kinda wish there was a transparent version.
Who do I fight to make this official? It’s so good!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah goddammit for that one fraction of a second, I thought it was real.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
That's an awesome looking render!

Also, I don't know why you say that the dream line-up in your signature is trash; I'd love to see that as the fighters pass!
I know it's not actually trash (no dream lineup is), It's just a funny name I gave to it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat Devil May Cry 5! The final bosses were a pain (between the two fights, I died three times), but thankfully, the game gives more than enough gold orbs to make beating it possible. (I have no idea how people can beat the final boss so easily in some videos that I've seen, but then again, I have absolutely no idea how to properly use Royal Guard)

I'm honestly tempted to write another moveset for Dante, but I'm not entirely sure where to go with that. Still, the game was a ton of fun - not sure if I'll focus on Persona 5 or Nier Automata next.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just beat Devil May Cry 5! The final bosses were a pain (between the two fights, I died three times), but thankfully, the game gives more than enough gold orbs to make beating it possible. (I have no idea how people can beat the final boss so easily in some videos that I've seen, but then again, I have absolutely no idea how to properly use Royal Guard)

I'm honestly tempted to write another moveset for Dante, but I'm not entirely sure where to go with that. Still, the game was a ton of fun - not sure if I'll focus on Persona 5 or Nier Automata next.
I like Nier Automata FAR MORE than Persona 5.

However, that's the one in Smash.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I kinda want to do a DMC5 specific moveset for Dante now because that game's given a lot of new options. Especially with some of the late-game stuff.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I kinda want to do a DMC5 specific moveset for Dante now because that game's given a lot of new options. Especially with some of the late-game stuff.
Yeah it's super cool the new stuff in DMC5.

There's so much stuff actually, that I couldn't even imagine how it'd all fit together in one moveset.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I finally finished my review of Devil May Cry 5! Hope y'all enjoy- spent the better part of the last month on this thing. Now I gotta make a video about the story.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Just the first game is a little odd, I expected the stsndard HD collection. If its a decent port and doesnt cost more than $10 i might pick it up. This does mean that Dante is now on Nintendo, but it might be too little too late for Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm also surprised that it isn't the HD collection. I hope the price is reasonable, but given how Capcom's priced Resident Evil 0/1/4 on the Switch, I somehow doubt it.

Not sure if I'll pick this up - the first game was rather clunky for my tastes thanks to the lack of movement/attack options (and the fact that I needed to have a guide for the locations of Blue Orbs handy to even stand a chance at beating the early bosses, given how much damage their attacks did), and I greatly prefer 3, 4, and 5 over it.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I feel like it's already too late sadly, but the incentive is there, so it's better than being a topic of obscurity.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We all know it's not Dante that's getting into Smash, but V.

kirby v.jpg

ENJOY THE TASTE OF DESPAIR.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That render was pretty clean. Glad at least the first game is finally hitting a Nintendo system. Hopefully DMC3 will get there too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh I was bored recently so I tried cleaning up that render posted up there.
It's not perfect as it was done mostly by hand, so apologies for stray areas of color.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Did a real good job dude. I know this probably is the MvCI model just with cleaned up textures and shaders (the textures were the only problem with it) but I really hope people start using this instead of the MvCI model because that one just looks so bad.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Did a real good job dude. I know this probably is the MvCI model just with cleaned up textures and shaders (the textures were the only problem with it) but I really hope people start using this instead of the MvCI model because that one just looks so bad.
Yeah, unfortunately most characters look weird and crusty in MVCI. Except for Spider-Man and Venom, since one's attached to an alien and the other wears a mask that covers the whole face.

I didn't even notice at first, but it might be the MVCI model like you said, the nose seems similar.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, unfortunately most characters look weird and crusty in MVCI. Except for Spider-Man and Venom, since one's attached to an alien and the other wears a mask that covers the whole face.

I didn't even notice at first, but it might be the MVCI model like you said, the nose seems similar.
The worst part is that the MvCI models are technically way higher in resolution than the MvC3 models from what, 2011, and despite that look far worse, especially when there's no stylistic artstyle to make up for how lacking it is.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The worst part is that the MvCI models are technically way higher in resolution than the MvC3 models from what, 2011, and despite that look far worse, especially when there's no stylistic artstyle to make up for how lacking it is.
Hope that the next Marvel vs Capcom in 5-10 years has graphics like DBFZ and GGXRD. And it'll still re-use as much as it can from TVC-MVCI.

But back on the topic of Dante. In terms of his moves, which version should Smash even use? Smash movesets are usually simpler than Marvel ones. If they went with DMC3 Dante, they'd probably tone down how many moves he gets. I was thinking he'd use Rebellion, Ebony+Ivory, Coyote A and Beowulf, since those weapons are his most consistent.

Well, not exactly Beowulf, but he always has a weapon like it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hope that the next Marvel vs Capcom in 5-10 years has graphics like DBFZ and GGXRD. And it'll still re-use as much as it can from TVC-MVCI.

But back on the topic of Dante. In terms of his moves, which version should Smash even use? Smash movesets are usually simpler than Marvel ones. If they went with DMC3 Dante, they'd probably tone down how many moves he gets. I was thinking he'd use Rebellion, Ebony+Ivory, Coyote A and Beowulf, since those weapons are his most consistent.

Well, not exactly Beowulf, but he always has a weapon like it.
Yeah unless they give him an uber complicated "switch weapon" mechanic, they're going to stick with the standard Rebellion and EnI, with maybe Coyote-A.
In PSASBR, they used the gauntlet weapon as throws which I think they could possibly do for him here.

Even then, that's already going over the amount of possible moves in a typical Smash moveset so anymore weapons, especially the more bizarre ones like say Nevan, Lucifer, or Cavalier, seem really unlikely.
Actually, I hope they stick with the standard Rebellion, EnI, Coyote-A, and Gauntlet weapon, because if they do, they can give Dante alternate costumes of more of the games and change the DTs and Guantlets to reflect each game. Seeing as there's DMC1,3,4, and 5 that people really care about, they could all make it in with one alternate color evening out to 8.

If I had to make a color-scheme, I'd go:

DMC3 Dante
DMC3 Dante w/ Vergil colors.
DMC1 Dante
DMC1 Dante w/ Trish colors
DMC4 Dante
DMC4 Dante w/ Nero colors
DMC5 Dante
DMC5 Dante w/ V colors

Each of them with their own Devil Trigger colors which correspond to their game and the character their color is based off of.

With a personal bias for the DMC3 outfit being his "default" one.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah unless they give him an uber complicated "switch weapon" mechanic, they're going to stick with the standard Rebellion and EnI, with maybe Coyote-A.
In PSASBR, they used the gauntlet weapon as throws which I think they could possibly do for him here.

Even then, that's already going over the amount of possible moves in a typical Smash moveset so anymore weapons, especially the more bizarre ones like say Nevan, Lucifer, or Cavalier, seem really unlikely.
Actually, I hope they stick with the standard Rebellion, EnI, Coyote-A, and Gauntlet weapon, because if they do, they can give Dante alternate costumes of more of the games and change the DTs and Guantlets to reflect each game. Seeing as there's DMC1,3,4, and 5 that people really care about, they could all make it in with one alternate color evening out to 8.

If I had to make a color-scheme, I'd go:

DMC3 Dante
DMC3 Dante w/ Vergil colors.
DMC1 Dante
DMC1 Dante w/ Trish colors
DMC4 Dante
DMC4 Dante w/ Nero colors
DMC5 Dante
DMC5 Dante w/ V colors

Each of them with their own Devil Trigger colors which correspond to their game and the character their color is based off of.

With a personal bias for the DMC3 outfit being his "default" one.
Having more than 2 primarily red alts might be getting into Cloud Territory, unless he has a straight up alt suit like a few characters. And with how zoomed out Smash is, I'm worried it'll be a bit too confusing.

I do think a DMC 3 version with a Dark Red coat with Brown Pants, and then a DMC 1 color swap with a brighter red coat and Dark Red pants can be distinct enough.

Dante could at least have colors based on Lady and Sparda for example. Lucia too if you really felt the need to stretch it. I guess there's his alt from DMC2, since Marvel had that as his Green costume.

Also, Fireworks would make for a great N-Air. And maybe a regular shot for Back-Air.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Having more than 2 primarily red alts might be getting into Cloud Territory, unless he has a straight up alt suit like a few characters. And with how zoomed out Smash is, I'm worried it'll be a bit too confusing.

I do think a DMC 3 version with a Dark Red coat with Brown Pants, and then a DMC 1 color swap with a brighter red coat and Dark Red pants can be distinct enough.

Dante could at least have colors based on Lady and Sparda for example. Lucia too if you really felt the need to stretch it. I guess there's his alt from DMC2, since Marvel had that as his Green costume.

Also, Fireworks would make for a great N-Air. And maybe a regular shot for Back-Air.
I say backslide would work for a bair. It is literally him firing it under his arm behind him after all.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I found a rather detailed Dante movelist video on Youtube - I'll just post a direct link, both for the sake of mobile users and since it's a fairly long video (about 22 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_uy5w7kdPo

The visuals definitely help make it easier to picture how Dante would work in Smash. I'd be concerned that a moveset like this might be overpowered (particularly Royal Guard, in the hands of competitive players), but then again, it seems like it would be difficult to keep track of everything that's going on (between his style switching, cancelling moves, etc.), which seems fitting to how he is in Devil May Cry 5.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I found a rather detailed Dante movelist video on Youtube - I'll just post a direct link, both for the sake of mobile users and since it's a fairly long video (about 22 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_uy5w7kdPo

The visuals definitely help make it easier to picture how Dante would work in Smash. I'd be concerned that a moveset like this might be overpowered (particularly Royal Guard, in the hands of competitive players), but then again, it seems like it would be difficult to keep track of everything that's going on (between his style switching, cancelling moves, etc.), which seems fitting to how he is in Devil May Cry 5.
Hey, that's a pretty excellent moveset for DMC5 Dante, though I do have one gripe in that it seems pretty weird for Dante to pull out Nevan only for one move.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm wondering if style elements could be handled so that they end up being used in animations like Trickster for dodging, and Royal Guard for blocking and parrying. The style system has had switching since DMC4, so it's an established part of Dante's moveset, and styles as a whole since DMC3. But I guess if he's more DMC3 inspired, he could just stick to one.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I figure the style moves make sense as the special moves as per my set. If we go with DMC5 Dante though he can't use Dark Slayer, so idk what his Down B could be.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Apologies if this is gonna make me sound like a tin-foil obsessed lunatic, but I just wanted to drum up a bit of discussion about how DMC1's being ported to the Switch and how this affects Dante's chances:

Basically, we've all heard of the interview where Itsuno says that "we'd have to bring a Devil May Cry game to the Switch before even thinking about discussing Dante being in Smash", and then having that followed up after two months with "Devil May Cry 1 is coming to Switch". Naturally, this did kickstart a few ideas about Dante finally being eligible according to Itsuno's own words, but this also did raise concerns about being too little, too late - Sakurai tweeted that the DLC roster was finalized in November, and we're already more than half a year removed from that with 2 slots (as of this writing) open left.

However, does anyone feel like the timing of those announcements feel off? Game ports often take months on end to make, and seeing as how there was only a gap of two between Itsuno's statement and Capcom's port announcement, it feels weird that Itsuno would say something about "demanding that Capcom port the series over" when the DMC1 port surely would've been a discussion point within internal Capcom staff and especially with him given that he's been the director of the past 3 games. I feel like it's also rather telling that in that same interview, Itsuno never came close to outright saying "no"; why would he do that when other gaming executives have often said "no" when asked if their characters are in Smash (Matt Walker about Dante in the base roster, Shinji Hashimoto of Square Enix regarding Sora).

What do you guys think? Does this affect Dante being in Ultimate?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Apologies if this is gonna make me sound like a tin-foil obsessed lunatic, but I just wanted to drum up a bit of discussion about how DMC1's being ported to the Switch and how this affects Dante's chances:

Basically, we've all heard of the interview where Itsuno says that "we'd have to bring a Devil May Cry game to the Switch before even thinking about discussing Dante being in Smash", and then having that followed up after two months with "Devil May Cry 1 is coming to Switch". Naturally, this did kickstart a few ideas about Dante finally being eligible according to Itsuno's own words, but this also did raise concerns about being too little, too late - Sakurai tweeted that the DLC roster was finalized in November, and we're already more than half a year removed from that with 2 slots (as of this writing) open left.

However, does anyone feel like the timing of those announcements feel off? Game ports often take months on end to make, and seeing as how there was only a gap of two between Itsuno's statement and Capcom's port announcement, it feels weird that Itsuno would say something about "demanding that Capcom port the series over" when the DMC1 port surely would've been a discussion point within internal Capcom staff and especially with him given that he's been the director of the past 3 games. I feel like it's also rather telling that in that same interview, Itsuno never came close to outright saying "no"; why would he do that when other gaming executives have often said "no" when asked if their characters are in Smash (Matt Walker about Dante in the base roster, Shinji Hashimoto of Square Enix regarding Sora).

What do you guys think? Does this affect Dante being in Ultimate?
I feel like the port was already in development when Itsuno made that remark; I don't know how long it takes to port games to new systems, but two months seems like a rather short time for DMC1 on Switch to go from concept to reality.

Obviously, I think we're all going to be at least a little biased in this topic, but I feel like it's a good sign for Dante's chances. At the very least, it's a weird coincidence, especially when combined with Hideki Kamiya putting out a Twitter poll asking which of his characters we'd like to see in Smash. (I don't know what the results were, but the options were Dante, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and Wonder Red)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
After seeing The Hero get so many alts, if Dante gets in I coould see him getting each of his games clothes, would be really neat

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
After seeing The Hero get so many alts, if Dante gets in I coould see him getting each of his games clothes, would be really neat
At this point, I could see the following alts:
-DMC1 outfit (P1)
-DMC3 outfit (P2)
-DMC4 outfit (P3)
-DMC5 outfit (P4)
-DMC1 outfit - Trish (P5)
-DMC3 outfit - Vergil (P6)
-DMC4 outfit - Nero (P7)
-DMC5 outfit - Lady (P8)

Or if they just stick to two outfits, then they'd probably go for the classic and the DMC3 variants as they're the most iconic ones:
-DMC1 outfit (P1)
-DMC3 outfit (P2)
-DMC1 outfit - Trish (P3)
-DMC3 outfit - Lady (P4)
-DMC1 outfit - Nero (P5)
-DMC3 outfit - Vergil (P6)
-DMC1 outfit - Sparda (P7)
-DMC3 outfit - V (P8)

Top Bottom