• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kazuya Announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Kazuya.jpg

Nintendo’s E3 2021 Direct began with a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate newcomer reveal, and this time it’s Kazuya Mishima of Tekken fame!

Once his reveal trailer ended, a brief gameplay showcase followed. We didn't get to see much, yet despite that we learned Kazuya has a ton of moves in Smash Ultimate. His moves include:
  • Tsunami Kick
  • Searing Edge
  • Flash Punch Combo
  • Steel Pedal Drop
  • Flash Tornado
  • Nejiri Uraken
  • Crouch Spin Kick
  • Twin Pistons
  • Sternum Smash
  • Jumping Sobat
  • Sweeping Demon to Left Hook
  • Dragon Uppercut
  • Tombstone Crusher
  • Gates of Hell
  • Wind God Fist
  • Crouch Jab
  • Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kicks
  • Rising Toe Kick
  • Stature Smash
  • Crouch Dash
  • Left Splits Kick
  • Stonehead
  • Demon God Fist
  • Oni Front Kick
  • Double Face Kick
  • Demon Scissors
  • Jump Side Kick
  • Demon’s Wrath
  • Leaping Sidekick
  • Jumping Knuckle
  • Air Inferno
  • 10 Hit Combo
That’s a lot, isn’t it? Of course though, there’s still more gameplay to be shown off, but it wasn’t time yet. Sakurai then announced that there will be a Kazuya presentation on June 28th at 7 am PT / 10 am ET.

Author’s Note: I was really tired when I first saw the direct so I didn't think much of Kazuya other than "that's cool" when I saw him. Somehow, I didn't notice that absolutely gargantuan amount of moves they've translated over to Smash and I only noticed how many there were as I was counting them to write this. So, I'm very interested in him now! What do you think about Kazuya though? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Source: GameXplain for uploading the 2nd video

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

I'm kinda sad because this was the E3 where Sora or Crash or Eggman would be perfect...but I'm not gonna hold it against Kazuya he'd probably kill me anyways.. I'm not giving up hope til the end; we only have one slot left.

A Tekken character felt long overdue, and while I figured that Kazuya was less likely than Heihachi or Jin (then again, I'm not overly familiar with Tekken - I just got into it a few years ago, and there are so many characters that I've only scratched the surface), it's great to see him included. Plus, it's great to see more villains added to the game - it felt like that was really missing in Smash 4, where we only had Bowser, Ganondorf, and Bowser Junior. (calling Dedede or Dark Pit "villains" feels like a stretch)

My experience with the reveal:

Sees Ganondorf
"Zelda? Wait NVM. This looks like Smash."

Sees Lava
"A Mishima? That's awesome! But which one?"

Sees Glowing Eye
"Kazuya? Alright."

I didn't care which Mishima would get in, I just knew any Mishima would make the perfect Tekken rep.

D
I personally woulda wanted a Digimon over Tekken, but eh. I’ve already set my expectations low enough that I’m fine with this.

I feel like I'm being trolled with all these secondary characters.
Min Min over Spring Man.
Pyra over Rex.
And now Kazuya over Heihachi.
Ugh. It kills my OCD to see so many "Luigi before Mario" picks!
At this rate, we won't get Crash, but get Coco instead!

But can we all agree now that Mii Costumes DEFINITELY discomfirm playable characters?

I feel like I'm being trolled with all these secondary characters.
Min Min over Spring Man.
Pyra over Rex.
And now Kazuya over Heihachi.
Ugh. It kills my OCD to see so many "Luigi before Mario" picks!
At this rate, we won't get Crash, but get Coco instead!

But can we all agree now that Mii Costumes DEFINITELY discomfirm playable characters?
Well... yes and no.

Yes, if the characters themselves get DLC Mii costumes, then that's it.
But no, Mii costume from the same series no longer deconfirm another character from the same series.

My thoughts watching the trailer:

• Oh Ganondorf is dead? Well there’s our dead guy for this reveal trailer. I wonder if it’s someone known for killing demons or evil people
  • Huh? A volcano? Is it an edgy or dark character
  • He’s shirtless? Wait… Is this gonna be Dante!?
  • aaaaand nope. It’s someone from Tekken. Apparently it’s not Heihachi too. Weird.
  • okay it actually kind of makes sense why they didn’t pick heihachi
  • oh god smash fans are gonna complain about his command inputs not aren’t they?
  • This is the perfect excuse to finally get Tekken 7

Ganondorf’s corpse was the best dude, I love how they were afraid to show Mario get skewered by Sephrioth and then the first thing they show at E3 is a dead Ganondorf
well to be fair both kaguya and heihachi where thrown into this Vulcano/ from a mountain multiple times!

I thought it was a Tekken character when I saw that the person was being carried towards a volcano (combined with how they were being carried), since that's a recurring thing in the Tekken games:

I didn't notice the character's hair at first, so I thought it was Heihachi.
Kazuya's Tekken 1 ending, at the 0:22 second mark up to where he looks at the screen and smiles would make for a great victory screen. The person he drops off the cliff could be his opponent, and in free for alls the last opponent he defeated. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to program something like this in Smash but it would be something amazing to see.

Kazuya's Tekken 1 ending, at the 0:22 second mark up to where he looks at the screen and smiles would make for a great victory screen. The person he drops off the cliff could be his opponent, and in free for alls the last opponent he defeated. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to program something like this in Smash but it would be something amazing to see.
Probably not worth the effort for a mere victory animation.

Let’s be honest, does anyone actually care that it isn’t old man heihachi? I feel like that expectation mostly came from a misunderstanding of the series anyway.

Dangerously based choice, FP2 so far has catered to me in more ways than one; Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra and Kazuya are all the kind of characters I'd want to see in this game.

You know, it's kind of hypocritical when people start complaining about the number of Fire Emblem fighters, AND the number of fighters from the arcade fighting game genre. I mean, Fire Emblem has 2x more fighters in Ultimate than Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Tekken combined.
These people simply do not feel that neither Fire Emblem nor fighting game franchises should be allowed to have the amount of playable characters from their franchises as they have now irregardless of whatever other reasons there may be for Nintendo choosing the characters (as if Nintendo's own reasoning and opinions are inherently second to their own since they are the paying customer). Just had an argument with another person who felt cheated that they did not get what they wanted.

View attachment 319377

Nintendo’s E3 2021 Direct began with a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate newcomer reveal, and this time it’s Kazuya Mishima of Tekken fame!

Once his reveal trailer ended, a brief gameplay showcase followed. We didn't get to see much, yet despite that we learned Kazuya has a ton of moves in Smash Ultimate. His moves include:
  • Tsunami Kick
  • Searing Edge
  • Flash Punch Combo
  • Steel Pedal Drop
  • Flash Tornado
  • Nejiri Uraken
  • Crouch Spin Kick
  • Twin Pistons
  • Sternum Smash
  • Jumping Sobat
  • Sweeping Demon to Left Hook
  • Dragon Uppercut
  • Tombstone Crusher
  • Gates of Hell
  • Wind God Fist
  • Crouch Jab
  • Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kicks
  • Rising Toe Kick
  • Stature Smash
  • Crouch Dash
  • Left Splits Kick
  • Stonehead
  • Demon God Fist
  • Oni Front Kick
  • Double Face Kick
  • Demon Scissors
  • Jump Side Kick
  • Demon’s Wrath
  • Leaping Sidekick
  • Jumping Knuckle
  • Air Inferno
  • 10 Hit Combo
That’s a lot, isn’t it? Of course though, there’s still more gameplay to be shown off, but it wasn’t time yet. Sakurai then announced that there will be a Kazuya presentation on June 28th at 7 am PT / 10 am ET.

Author’s Note: I was really tired when I first saw the direct so I didn't think much of Kazuya other than "that's cool" when I saw him. Somehow, I didn't notice that absolutely gargantuan amount of moves they've translated over to Smash and I only noticed how many there were as I was counting them to write this. So, I'm very interested in him now! What do you think about Kazuya though? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Source: GameXplain for uploading the 2nd video
Only Reason I Would Buy Him IS To Practice The MU, I've Literally Never Heard Of Tekken Before This.

I have a multiple conflicting reactions to this announcement:
  1. oh cool, a tekken rep! i would've preferred Jun Kazama or her son, but this is perfectly fine!
  2. woah momma that's a whol' lotta moves 👀
  3. nintendo seriously announced this character on the same month as father's day 😂 😂 😂
  4. you know Nintendo had a good E3 when the new smash character is only their second most hype announcement.

Why do we have to wait till the 28th damnit... And that's not even touching the character's release date, which is probably the same day... Hopefully. Ah man...

One of my only guesses for FP10 or FP11 was a Namco character. I was thinking it'd be Tales, with the possibility of Taiko no Tatusjin, Tekken, or Klonoa. I will say I'm glad they didn't go with Heihachi, who I've always personally found to be kind of a boring character, so I'm glad they went Kazuya first. There are some other Tekken characters I like playing more, but none that would feel right over picking a Mishima. I would have thought they would have went with Jin, but if they're trying to rep Tekken 7, Kazuya is definitely more important.

Not saying I'm the most excited (he looks pretty fun though), but Tekken is a very deserving franchise to make it if Street Fighter and Fatal Fury / KoF did.

Well... yes and no.

Yes, if the characters themselves get DLC Mii costumes, then that's it.
But no, Mii costume from the same series no longer deconfirm another character from the same series.
Please let this be how Octoling still wins (Squid Sisters Miis in the same wave as the Heihachi Mii)

plot twist it’s Off the Hook (Pearl & Marina) who get the Smash invite. Which… I’d actually be fine with

everyone is saying "it doesnt have to be the main Character" but these people forget that

1. Only the first rep of a franchise needs to be a main Character

2. Arms only has mascotts, spring man is an at and Ribbon girl is too "girly" to represent the entirty of arms

3. Kazuya is the main Character of the first game, Heihachi is more of The mascott / main villain most of the time

Top Bottom