• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kazuya Announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Kazuya.jpg

Nintendo’s E3 2021 Direct began with a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate newcomer reveal, and this time it’s Kazuya Mishima of Tekken fame!

Once his reveal trailer ended, a brief gameplay showcase followed. We didn't get to see much, yet despite that we learned Kazuya has a ton of moves in Smash Ultimate. His moves include:
  • Tsunami Kick
  • Searing Edge
  • Flash Punch Combo
  • Steel Pedal Drop
  • Flash Tornado
  • Nejiri Uraken
  • Crouch Spin Kick
  • Twin Pistons
  • Sternum Smash
  • Jumping Sobat
  • Sweeping Demon to Left Hook
  • Dragon Uppercut
  • Tombstone Crusher
  • Gates of Hell
  • Wind God Fist
  • Crouch Jab
  • Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kicks
  • Rising Toe Kick
  • Stature Smash
  • Crouch Dash
  • Left Splits Kick
  • Stonehead
  • Demon God Fist
  • Oni Front Kick
  • Double Face Kick
  • Demon Scissors
  • Jump Side Kick
  • Demon’s Wrath
  • Leaping Sidekick
  • Jumping Knuckle
  • Air Inferno
  • 10 Hit Combo
That’s a lot, isn’t it? Of course though, there’s still more gameplay to be shown off, but it wasn’t time yet. Sakurai then announced that there will be a Kazuya presentation on June 28th at 7 am PT / 10 am ET.

Author’s Note: I was really tired when I first saw the direct so I didn't think much of Kazuya other than "that's cool" when I saw him. Somehow, I didn't notice that absolutely gargantuan amount of moves they've translated over to Smash and I only noticed how many there were as I was counting them to write this. So, I'm very interested in him now! What do you think about Kazuya though? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Source: GameXplain for uploading the 2nd video

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

These people simply do not feel that neither Fire Emblem nor fighting game franchises should be allowed to have the amount of playable characters from their franchises as they have now irregardless of whatever other reasons there may be for Nintendo choosing the characters (as if Nintendo's own reasoning and opinions are inherently second to their own since they are the paying customer). Just had an argument with another person who felt cheated that they did not get what they wanted.
meanwhile, they will argue TO DEATH that someone like geno belongs in the game.

i was surprised at the number of people that thought we'd get eggman or something. my thought always was "at e3 theres no way it wont be third party"

Ihope weget Tekken games on switch esspecially Tekken tag tournament 2! Wiiu edition of course!

Last edited:
I feel like I'm being trolled with all these secondary characters.
Min Min over Spring Man.
Pyra over Rex.
And now Kazuya over Heihachi.
Ugh. It kills my OCD to see so many "Luigi before Mario" picks!
At this rate, we won't get Crash, but get Coco instead!

But can we all agree now that Mii Costumes DEFINITELY discomfirm playable characters?
Except that ...
Min Min is a main character.
Pyra becomes the main character.
All Mishima's are the main character.

A Tekken character felt long overdue, and while I figured that Kazuya was less likely than Heihachi or Jin (then again, I'm not overly familiar with Tekken - I just got into it a few years ago, and there are so many characters that I've only scratched the surface), it's great to see him included. Plus, it's great to see more villains added to the game - it felt like that was really missing in Smash 4, where we only had Bowser, Ganondorf, and Bowser Junior. (calling Dedede or Dark Pit "villains" feels like a stretch)
I definitely never understood how Dedede could NOT be considered a villain... aside from the TV show, Dedede is often the main antagonist. Sure, he joins along Kirby at times, but so does Bowser.

These people simply do not feel that neither Fire Emblem nor fighting game franchises should be allowed to have the amount of playable characters from their franchises as they have now irregardless of whatever other reasons there may be for Nintendo choosing the characters (as if Nintendo's own reasoning and opinions are inherently second to their own since they are the paying customer). Just had an argument with another person who felt cheated that they did not get what they wanted.
...it's a fighting crossover game. Having Fighting Game Character crossovers is the most logical idea.
However, it's funny to even claim in the first place, considering the number of RPG characters we constantly get, to the point that it is "completely normal."

Sakurai did state that he has yet to film the presentation. Presentations tend to be pre-recorded after all.
He hadn't filmed it...when he filmed this E3 presentation- who knows when that was.

everyone is saying "it doesnt have to be the main Character" but these people forget that
2. Arms only has mascotts, spring man is an at and Ribbon girl is too "girly" to represent the entirty of arms
Not the first sexist statement I've seen from ya, bro.
I mean half the cast of Arms is male!
...does not enhance any argument. I honestly cannot trace what you are saying... one character is effeminate, and because the roster has both males and females, of varying levels of masculinity and femininity....then girls suck?

Last edited:
I definitely never understood how Dedede could NOT be considered a villain... aside from the TV show, Dedede is often the main antagonist. Sure, he joins along Kirby at times, but so does Bowser.

...does not enhance any argument. I honestly cannot trace what you are saying... one character is effeminate, and because the roster has both males and females, of varying levels of masculinity and femininity....then girls suck?
DEDEDE is not the main antagonist a boss yes but the main antagonist of these kirby games are:
KRTDL: ddd is playable main antagonists are the sphere doomers
KTD: ddd is the damsel taranza is the main antagonist
KPr: ddd is non important susie is the main antagonist
KSA: ddd is the boss of the first world after this becomes playable the mage sisters and hyness are the main antagonists

No girls dont suck i do think min min is one of the 4 best choices they could have made alongside Brass, spring man and dr coyle (who is also female)
Ribbon girl just seems weird to represent arms same with non arm users!

so whats the deal? does he actually turn into a demon? cause that stuff creeps me out
He has a devil gene which had been adapted deep within his blood. Here is a slight brief back story from his prologue intro from Tekken 4 if you want to get a bit more of an idea:

Last edited:
I'm really curious to see how he plays. That's an extensive move list if we're talking about Smash. In Tekken, that's fairly normal.

It's been awhile since I played Tekken. Last one I played was Tekken 5, and it's up to Tekken 7 now isn't it?

I don't think he'll be beginner friendly, and someone will need to be quite technical and invest a lot of time into him to master him from the looks of things.

Anyway, I hope he drops right after the presentation. Since we're already having to wait until June 28th, same day drop would be great instead of making us wait longer.

I'm really curious to see how he plays. That's an extensive move list if we're talking about Smash. In Tekken, that's fairly normal.

It's been awhile since I played Tekken. Last one I played was Tekken 5, and it's up to Tekken 7 now isn't it?

I don't think he'll be beginner friendly, and someone will need to be quite technical and invest a lot of time into him to master him from the looks of things.

Anyway, I hope he drops right after the presentation. Since we're already having to wait until June 28th, same day drop would be great instead of making us wait longer.
Despite showing off so many moves translated into Smash, I'd wager that most of them are likely simple attacks like tilts, smashes, and grabs/throws. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the 10 hit combo was simply his rapid jab attack. I guess we'll see if he gets his EWGF on top of it all.

DEDEDE is not the main antagonist a boss yes but the main antagonist of these kirby games are:
KRTDL: ddd is playable main antagonists are the sphere doomers
KTD: ddd is the damsel taranza is the main antagonist
KPr: ddd is non important susie is the main antagonist
KSA: ddd is the boss of the first world after this becomes playable the mage sisters and hyness are the main antagonists

No girls dont suck i do think min min is one of the 4 best choices they could have made alongside Brass, spring man and dr coyle (who is also female)
Ribbon girl just seems weird to represent arms same with non arm users!
On Dedede: this isn't exactly an official source, but it is a fanmade wiki:
https://kirby.fandom.com/wiki/King_Dedede said:
King Dedede, also written as King DeDeDe, or King De De De (in certain older games), is Kirby's arch-rival in Nintendo and HAL Laboratory's long-running Kirby video game series. He (or something in his likeness) has appeared in every game in the series except Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. As such, he is the most recurring major character of the series besides Kirby and Waddle Dee. Due to his many roles as Kirby's main adversary, many consider King Dedede to be the series antagonist.
As for Ribbon Girl... your exact statement is that she was too girly. As in, an effeminate character is improper representation of the game.
Except for the ones where the protagonist is a Kazama or even an Alexandersson. They might have the blood, but they don't use the Mishima style (except Jin in 3).
I'm not stating that a Mishima is the main character of each game, individually.
Just that the Mishima line is the family around which the games are based- just like Star Wars are based off Skywalkers.
It's actually a pretty solid parallel.
Star Wars could be represented by Vader or Luke... or even Rey.

Last edited:
This post was warned.
On Dedede: this isn't exactly an official source, but it is a fanmade wiki:

As for Ribbon Girl... your exact statement is that she was too girly. As in, an effeminate character is improper representation of the game.

I'm not stating that a Mishima is the main character of each game, individually.
Just that the Mishima line is the family around which the games are based- just like Star Wars are based off Skywalkers.
It's actually a pretty solid parallel.
Star Wars could be represented by Vader or Luke... or even Rey.
Arguing with you is boring you win just okay the smarter one stops bye!

if it was so boring, why did you only recently concede the debate...? doesn't sound like you'll remotely accept [or acknowledge] the point.

anyways... considering Ken and Terry, it was only a matter of time we'd see SOMEONE from Tekken... personally, I expected Jin since he appeared in the Project X Zone games (effectively sequels to Namco X Capcom). Heihachi also appeared, and Kazuya appeared in PXZ2, but... ehh, I felt Jin seemed more of the typical protagonist in those sorts of stories of big messed up families.

on the other hand, I was lowkey hoping for Yoshimitsu, since it would not only represent the Soul Series, but it would also piss off some of the pettier pricks out there since he also uses a sword.

Last edited:
I feel like Tekken is a totally deserving franchise and I've enjoyed the short outings I've played with the various releases throughout the year. I personally don't like the auto face 1v1 trait that the shotos and Terry have, but only because I stink with it and end up Tatsumaki'ing in the wrong direction for some reason, haha.

I do think Kazuya looks pretty darn cool though, interested to see how the inputs work. I assume most of them are direction throws, tilts, etc. My current bet is that he'll have an A and B setup sort of like Min Min in that he won't have traditional B button specials, but more like a punch and kick button or something.

Presentation next week, hopefully he releases that night or at very latest before July.

Except for the ones where the protagonist is a Kazama or even an Alexandersson. They might have the blood, but they don't use the Mishima style (except Jin in 3).
Jin is Kazuya's son and Lars is Heihachi's illegitimate son, so technically they count as Mishimas in the overall plotline even if they don't have the same fighting style.

So yeah, every Tekken has a Mishima as its main protagonist. Not the figthing style, but the actual family bloodline.

Last edited:
Jin is Kazuya's son and Lars is Heihachi's illegitimate son, so technically they count as Mishimas in the overall plotline even if they don't have the same fighting style.

So yeah, every Tekken has a Mishima as its main protagonist. Not the figthing style, but the actual family bloodline.
Yeah, which is why I said "They might have the blood". I'm well aware of their bloodline, but I think the fact that they don't call themselves Mishima and at least in Jin's case choose not to fight as a Mishima goes a long way to distance them from that family.

Yeah, which is why I said "They might have the blood". I'm well aware of their bloodline, but I think the fact that they don't call themselves Mishima and at least in Jin's case choose not to fight as a Mishima goes a long way to distance them from that family.
They're still part of the family feud even if they don't have that family name which is actually for reasons other than simply distancing themselves.

Lars's last name is Alexandersonn because he's Heihachi's illegitimate son, implying that his mother raised him with Heihachi having no presence whatsoever.

Jin's last name is Kazama because it was his mother raising him while Kazuya was (presumed) dead between Tekken 2's ending and Tekken 4, which is about 11 years in-universe. It doesn't help that Kazuya and Jin's mother never married, so it's likely a similar situation as Lars.

Jin in particular actually led the Mishima Zaibatsu in Tekken 6 (which implies Heihachi accepted him as his grandson at the time) and started a war in the hopes of getting rid of Heihachi and Kazuya and Lars has actively tried to stop all three across the two games he's been in so yeah, I'd say they're involved enough in the feud to be considered Mishimas in everything but fighting style.

Last edited:
Jin in particular actually led the Mishima Zaibatsu in Tekken 6 (which implies Heihachi accepted him as his grandson at the time) and started a war in the hopes of getting rid of Heihachi and Kazuya and Lars has actively tried to stop all three across the two games he's been in so yeah, I'd say they're involved enough in the feud to be considered Mishimas in everything but fighting style.
Heihachi was thought dead when Jin took over the Mishima Zaibatsu at the end of Tekken 5, so that has nothing to do with Heihachi accepting him. He started the war so he could fully awaken Azazel, and then kill it himself, in the process hoping to eliminate his devil gene and remove some corrupt governments/corportations.

The point of saying Jin chooses not to fight as a Mishima is to emphasize the lengths he goes to in order to separate him from them after Heihachi's betrayal at the end of Tekken 3. He unlearns all the Mishima style moves he'd used in T3 and TTT and masters traditional karate instead.

They're both carry the Mishima blood, but to call them Mishima, I think does them a disservice as characters.

Think he'll be released later today? If not today, probably this week. Should be fun to try out, even if he doesn't initially seem like my kind of character.

Here’s the link to the presentation:
We're mere moments away from the great separation in Smash lineage. BK (Before Kazuya/Burger King) and AK (After Kazuya/Armour King).

Although I already own it on PS4 and PC and won't be purchasing a fourth copy (I own it physically and digitally), it would be really brilliant to see a Switch Port of Tekken 7 too. This could be a great way to tease it. Anything to get more people playing Tekken, no matter how!

Ouch. Those DMC and Tales mii costumes just officially killed my interest in Smash speculation.
I'm kind of disappointed that Lloyd was the DLC costume, as he's not particularly relevant regarding Tales and Switch. Shoulda been Yuri from Vesperia, or at the very least, they should re-release Symphonia Chronicles on Switch so new players will know who he is.

I'm kind of disappointed that Lloyd was the DLC costume, as he's not particularly relevant regarding Tales and Switch. Shoulda been Yuri from Vesperia, or at the very least, they should re-release Symphonia Chronicles on Switch so new players will know who he is.
Rightly so. Yuri was on my dlc bingo card. Because he is THE biggest Tales character and the best Tales protagonist.

Idk, at this point, the only non-deconfirmed thing left that could salvage the pass for me would be a Falcom character. And that would inevitably disappoint the mainstream community hoping for a Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief.

Or it could end with a quiet fart on a Pokemon rep and disappoint almost everyone. That seems likely.

So far, 39 different franchises (including Smash Bros. itself) have playable representation. A 40th franchise with playable representation should be considered for the final DLC fighter.

Rightly so. Yuri was on my dlc bingo card. Because he is THE biggest Tales character and the best Tales protagonist.

Idk, at this point, the only non-deconfirmed thing left that could salvage the pass for me would be a Falcom character. And that would inevitably disappoint the mainstream community hoping for a Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief.

Or it could end with a quiet fart on a Pokemon rep and disappoint almost everyone. That seems likely.
To be fair, in the last 50% of the roster, we have only gotten two new Pokemon.

The odds of getting what I want (Adol Christin) are so low that I think I may die of shock if they actually threw my man a bone.

Top Bottom