• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Katsuhiro Harada talks about support for a Pokken Sequel

Katsuhiro.jpg

Katsuhiro Harada, famed Tekken and Soul Calibur director, has talked on Twitter about interest into a sequel for Pokkén Tournament, but that it is up for Nintendo and Pokemon Co. LTD to decide for that to happen. The original Pokkén Tournament proved popular enough to be one of the first Wii U ports, with Pokkén Tournament DX on the Nintendo Switch.

Bandai Namco has had a good relationship with Nintendo, with both the continued collaboration of Super Smash. Bros, the developers for New Pokémon Snap and including Pac-Man in both Smash 4 and Ultimate. Given the recent success of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and some of their other collaborations with other companies, including Cadence of Hyrule (Brace Yourself Games), and Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft), a sequel could very well be on the horizon in the future.

We have included the tweet down below,

Credits:
Editing & Writing: Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa
Graphics: @Zerp
Social: @Zerp

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Hope Nintendo and TPC give the okay for the sake of the people that like this game.

I could never get into it cuz I don't care for the roster of playable Pokemon.

If they do get a sequel, I hope they can make Pokemon I care about playable like Snorlax, Slaking, Clefable or Salamence or something.

Yes! I want this really badly. I know a lot of people say some not so positive things about this game, but it is honestly one of the better arena fighters imo. If you count it as an arena fighter that is.

That being said I think there are ways to improve the game. I’d love more single player content. There was some, but the local multiplayer really carried the game for me.

I hope they select the playable Pokémon similarly. I like how they had big fan favorites mixed in with more silly and unexpected characters like Chandelure.

I wished they didn't stop balance updating Pokkén DX. But I would be down for a sequel.

Pokken Tournament DX was the game that helped tide me over until Super Smash Bros Ultimate came out back in the early years of the Nintendo Switch.

While I don't play it as much as I used to because of Smash, I really loved the concept and the idea of a Pokemon fighting game (Who doesn't?), While my favorite Pokemon in the game are Sceptile, Charizard and Pikachu Libre, The one Pokemon that I actually pretty good with was Braixen, But I'm rusty now.

Really hope they make a "Round 2" sometime in the near future with an even bigger game and roster of Pokemon overall, too and hopefully they thrown in some of my favorites like my boy "Breloom" in too.

188.gif

Last edited:
A bittersweet feeling, this is. Harada's statement means a sequel most certainly isn't in the works right now, meaning the small-yet-dedicated Pokkén community will be waiting years for a revival. But the fact that he outright wants to make a sequel happen at some point makes it more likely that Pokkén 2 (or whatever the name would be) will happen eventually. Maybe if the community got the attention of the right people at TPC, it'd get on their radars enough that we wouldn't have to wait too long for a sequel to happen.

And hopefully Absol wouldn't get left on the cutting room floor this time.

Top Bottom