• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Katalina- Guardian Knight of the Blue Sky for DLC (Granblue Fantasy ) 'work in progress' 'Researchers welcomed'

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My only real complaints with this character, beyond the fact she’s from a mobile game, is the fact that they’re using a Cygames character with no history with Nintendo. I figured Nintendo would’ve pushed for a Dragalia Lost character instead.

But from a gameplay standpoint I’d love to play as her if her gameplay is anything like the new game she’s in.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Kind of skeptical of her chances. With Nintendo deciding the DLC, I can't see why they would add anything from Granblue over Dragalia Lost. Nintendo ows (at least in part) Dragalia so there is less licensing and Nintendo keeps more of the profits. Nintendo is also promoting the game heavily and if the character leads people to playing the mobile game, wouldn't they rather lead people to the one they own? This character doesn't seem that popular regardless so I can't see why Nintendo would choose her over the characters they already own.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Water-users are still pretty heavily outnumbered by fire-users on the roster (we currently only have Squirtle, Greninja, and Corrin for primary water-users and Mario having one water move), but I'd rather see another ice-user (we only really have Ice Climbers and Lucas on that front, neither of whom use it in many moves), an air-user (i.e. Vaati, Klonoa, or Soren), or an earth-user (i.e. Isaac, Lycanroc, or Matthew).
I'd hardly consider Corrin as a water user considering only two of her moves are water-based.

Also, Katalina is an ice user.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Didn't know someone made a support thread for her, but anyways. I'd like to cover up one detail:

Good points. It really all depends in nintendo also wants to push granblue more in the west, as they now own stock in cygames and if granblue does better they gain some of that profits too. If thats the case though then all these DLC's will be purely profit/future exposure related

I am not spreading mis-information. Here is an exact quote from Verge 4 days ago

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77162181/911785222

If he has said something different since, let me know
Don't know where did Verg get that comment about the talks falling through, but whatever he said in that comment has no power anymore. Here's Hitagi's latest statement regarding Katalina:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Senjoug...9ux39a/so_apparently_94_of_you_follow_me_lol/
As far as Katalina, I haven't really been on top of keeping up with it but as far as I remember things were looking good so we'll see
It's strange though, both leakers have talked before, it's weird that Vergeben didn't know about this.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Do you have first-hand experience with this? I don't know Granblue Fantasy, but I do know that protagonists of these kinds of games are almost always generic player stand-ins. They're never anywhere near the most popular or marketed character in the game.
Yes. And I'm not saying they're the most popular character, that changes from poll to poll (though in the western fan base it's pretty much always Vampy), but they are definitely popular, more so than the other story characters for sure.

To be fair to Katalina she is the most favourited of the story characters, but that's deceptive because you can't favourite the main character, and you get bonuses for favouriting a character so you're encouraged to favourite a useful character with Katalina being pretty much the only story character that's got a usable set post-game (again, apart from your main character who has a class system and is totally a different thing). When you look at the community though she's really only held in any regard because she's a decent character you get in the story mode; you normally see more support (and merch) for Io, and she's often considered the most despised character in the game.

If you're trying to put the most popular non-story character in you're just openning a can of worms. You'll find a few characters at the top of any popularity poll (Cucouroux, Silva, Vampy, Vira, Jeanne D'arc, Camieux and Narmaya are the ones that come to mind, but I haven't done any real analysis on it), but none of them get more than 10% of the vote share, and they're in a constant state of flux so it's really impossible to make people happy with 1 gatcha pull... though I would suggest Vira as probably the best shot, she's generally the most consistently popular in my limited experience... not that I imagine CyGames would want their game represented by an obsessive stalker...

If we're talking pure marketting though you're talking Lyria, who spends most of the game unable to fight until you get the event awakening. She would make a pretty cool character otherwise, but it's hard to imagine the damsel being the first character to represent a franchise, and she can only unleash the primeval dragon with the support of the main character so would loose most of her utility... ie. she's probably more suited to being part of Gran/Djeeta's moveset (see final smash, although they could make them a character pair with the MC defending Lyria if they want to keep true to the game).

As far as I know(judging by the anime)

this is the mascot
Yes, another point, Vyrn is definitely the mascot, and the main character's childhood friend.. dragon... (spoiler redacted)... thing. It is directly connected to Gran/Djeeta, and while you could probably include a victory animation of Katalina petting him (to his dismay) he would be far more seemlessly intigrated into the main character.

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn`t mind having Katalina in Ultimate, She looks pretty and i`m all in for more female newcomers. Plus she will be my new main if she`s gets in as one of the 5 DLC fighters my other mains are:ultpeach:,:ultzelda:,:ultpalutena:, & :ultdaisy: ( i`m not very interested in minecraft representation in Smash at all tbh).

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
While I am currently neutral on her, if she did make it in, I'd be cool with her, besides to me at least, more swordsmen are always good since since they are my jam in Smash.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Katalina actually looks really cool, and like an enjoyable character. I'd wager most of her unpopularity comes from being the face of leaks, or representing gacha, moreso than anything actually wrong with the character.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Katalina actually looks really cool, and like an enjoyable character. I'd wager most of her unpopularity comes from being the face of leaks, or representing gacha, moreso than anything actually wrong with the character.
Also because she has no form of connection to Nintendo like a Dragalia Lost character does. It just makes her a bit of a strange choice for a CyGames character despite how cool she looks gameplay wise.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I still don't think she makes sense, but the fact no-ones tried to make a moveset is annoying me, so I made a best attempt.

Neutrals and Aerials : Generic sword attacks, her in-game attacks are really just swings, so perhaps they could take a few motions from the anime, but honestly she doesn't get to do much because she's not the main character.

Smash Attacks: Various blades of ice, possibly even slight projectiles, giving her smash attacks a decent amount of range. They are her Charge Attacks, so it makes sense to turn them into her smashes. If she could freeze by sweet spotting them that'd be pretty cool I suppose.

Grabs and Throws: Generic again, she really doesn't do much to differentiate herself in normals, though that is true of anyone in Granblue, barr possible Gran in the anime.

Specials:

Neutral: Dispel Mount: it's pretty much the Crux of her spell set in Granblue so it makes sense as a neutral, certainly more so than heal. Veil normally makes you immune to the next status effect you would recieve, but that doesn't really work in smash where only a handful of characters inflict status effects, so I guess it'd be one hit of super armour?

Down: Enchanted Lands: taken from her Grand version because she doesn't have enough moves to make a move set on her own. Enchanted lands has two effects, it does large damage and causes guarenteed triple attacks... I suppose the way you could do this is some sort of area of effect that does a bit of damage to anyone who steps into it, and also makes Katalina a bit faster when she's within it. Think Palutena's Heavenly Light, but lasts a little bit after you let go.

Forward: Light Wall: her third spell, in the game it's used to reduce incoming damage, but it's animation is creating a wall of light infront of the party... so I think it should do that. A big wall appears in front of Katalina, going both up and down, you have to do a certain amount of damage to the wall to break it, and you can't pass through it

Up: I got nothing, for a game about flying between floating islands the characters spend a lot of time on the ground. I guess she could just do another generic sword swing, but it kinda sucks.

Final Smash: Blades of Diamond: just re-use that ice blade animation from Katalina Grand, put it a set distance away from her, and have it do loads of damage. If it was the main character they'd be able to use any of the summons, but ya know, that'd make way too much sense.

Stage: Grandcypher - the airship that acts as the game's logo, it could potentially travel between a couple islands, and even have one of the raid bosses turn up in the background. Maybe Io or Rackam could be watching too.

This'd probably be easier after Re:Link, or if it was a sensible character pick, but hey, you guys want Katalina, so it's up to you if you want to make it better.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I still don't think she makes sense, but the fact no-ones tried to make a moveset is annoying me, so I made a best attempt.

Neutrals and Aerials : Generic sword attacks, her in-game attacks are really just swings, so perhaps they could take a few motions from the anime, but honestly she doesn't get to do much because she's not the main character.

Smash Attacks: Various blades of ice, possibly even slight projectiles, giving her smash attacks a decent amount of range. They are her Charge Attacks, so it makes sense to turn them into her smashes. If she could freeze by sweet spotting them that'd be pretty cool I suppose.

Grabs and Throws: Generic again, she really doesn't do much to differentiate herself in normals, though that is true of anyone in Granblue, barr possible Gran in the anime.

Specials:

Neutral: Dispel Mount: it's pretty much the Crux of her spell set in Granblue so it makes sense as a neutral, certainly more so than heal. Veil normally makes you immune to the next status effect you would recieve, but that doesn't really work in smash where only a handful of characters inflict status effects, so I guess it'd be one hit of super armour?

Down: Enchanted Lands: taken from her Grand version because she doesn't have enough moves to make a move set on her own. Enchanted lands has two effects, it does large damage and causes guarenteed triple attacks... I suppose the way you could do this is some sort of area of effect that does a bit of damage to anyone who steps into it, and also makes Katalina a bit faster when she's within it. Think Palutena's Heavenly Light, but lasts a little bit after you let go.

Forward: Light Wall: her third spell, in the game it's used to reduce incoming damage, but it's animation is creating a wall of light infront of the party... so I think it should do that. A big wall appears in front of Katalina, going both up and down, you have to do a certain amount of damage to the wall to break it, and you can't pass through it

Up: I got nothing, for a game about flying between floating islands the characters spend a lot of time on the ground. I guess she could just do another generic sword swing, but it kinda sucks.

Final Smash: Blades of Diamond: just re-use that ice blade animation from Katalina Grand, put it a set distance away from her, and have it do loads of damage. If it was the main character they'd be able to use any of the summons, but ya know, that'd make way too much sense.

Stage: Grandcypher - the airship that acts as the game's logo, it could potentially travel between a couple islands, and even have one of the raid bosses turn up in the background. Maybe Io or Rackam could be watching too.

This'd probably be easier after Re:Link, or if it was a sensible character pick, but hey, you guys want Katalina, so it's up to you if you want to make it better.
Hey now this is pretty good.

Adding it.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Also because she has no form of connection to Nintendo like a Dragalia Lost character does. It just makes her a bit of a strange choice for a CyGames character despite how cool she looks gameplay wise.
Dragalia lost is a brand spanking new series. GB is 5 years old and one of the biggest mobile series in Japan. Its possible that nintendo prefers a tried and true character than one from a game barely released even if it is part nintendo.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Dragalia lost is a brand spanking new series. GB is 5 years old and one of the biggest mobile series in Japan. Its possible that nintendo prefers a tried and true character than one from a game barely released even if it is part nintendo.
Even though I am slowly being sold on Katalina, it would make sense if Nintendo chose to give the advertising slot to a new franchise more associated with them, than one with next to no affiliation with them and has already proven itself.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It really didn't make that much sense. I am interested in what this means for GBF though; sounds pretty exciting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It really didn't make that much sense. I am interested in what this means for GBF though; sounds pretty exciting.
Well there are rumors of Platinum games making 3 games atm, and they are working on the granblue game staring her. Perhaps there are talks to bring it to the switch

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yeah boys the jig is kinda up but let's stay positive if not this time maybe next time, maybe the Granblue game is coming to Switch!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well there are rumors of Platinum games making 3 games atm, and they are working on the granblue game staring her. Perhaps there are talks to bring it to the switch
Hitagi said:
I will actually go into a bit more details about GBF, but expect A LOT of GBF stuff in the future. They are really trying to dethrone FGO for the top spot among mobages.

That sounds like way more than just a hack and slash, but that game does make sense of why Katalina's name came up.

Although he also says that ZUN has released games on Switch, so it's pretty questionable how much scrutiny he has for his information.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That sounds like way more than just a hack and slash, but that game does make sense of why Katalina's name came up.

Although he also says that ZUN has released games on Switch, so it's pretty questionable how much scrutiny he has for his information.
No core or main-gaiden numbered Touhou titles are currently available on the Switch, but there are several games with Reimu and friends in prominent roles present on the eShop — though I‘m not sure if any of them are actually Touhou games.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
To be fair he has said it's not a complete deconfirm; there's a lot of stuff happening with Granblue, it just doesn't look like it's Smash related anymore...

That said further in the thread he implies that Katalina will be in an Arc System Works games (assumedly Cross Tag Battle), so it's not all lost for playable Katalina.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To be fair he has said it's not a complete deconfirm; there's a lot of stuff happening with Granblue, it just doesn't look like it's Smash related anymore...

That said further in the thread he implies that Katalina will be in an Arc System Works games (assumedly Cross Tag Battle), so it's not all lost for playable Katalina.
Hasn't there been rumors of Arc System Works working on a Granblue fighting game? It could be for that.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
I would like to support Katalina. Though conversation about her are still mute. I should probably mention that now the Granblue fighting game is official, we can at least get a slightly better idea on what her moveset could be like. I’ve hadn’t seen the footage yet. But if anyone else did, I’d be happy to hear about it.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I would like to support Katalina. Though conversation about her are still mute. I should probably mention that now the Granblue fighting game is official, we can at least get a slightly better idea on what her moveset could be like. I’ve hadn’t seen the footage yet. But if anyone else did, I’d be happy to hear about it.
Guy who played GBFV's beta test here. Katalina is one of two pretty basic shoto characters in the game along with Gran, the main character. She has a projectile which is a single sword of ice she fires forwards, a rushing attack where she stabs forwards while moving, a shoryuken type move where she slashes her sword while jumping, and a barrier that absorbs every incoming hit for a short time and has her counterattack when you let go of the button. She's very basic in the grand scheme of playstyles for fighting games, and her moveset isn't exactly all that inspired. Granted I feel like there isn't a great ton of wiggle room for her to have given her role of a low-damage support unit in the mobile game, so this is likely the best they could do.

One interesting thing she has about her is that in her Super Skybound Art, the strongest supers each character has, she summons a sort of knight stand/persona that, to my knowledge, hasn't made an appearance in any Granblue media outside of Versus.
1560233029064.png

It's only used for her SSA, but I feel like this will come into play in the original game soon, especially whenever she gets her 5* uncap. Which means that, if she does come to Smash, it will likely factor into her moveset in some fashion. I think giving her a Persona but maybe having her operate in a semi-unique way from Joker, such as having it be a constant part of her moveset rather than Joker's temporary power up, could work.

On a different note, I guess you could put me on the support list. Katalina isn't my first choice for a Granblue rep but she seems to be the only one who had any discussion, even if it was only because of Vergeben. Sad to see people writing Granblue off just because it's a mobile game/gacha or because of Katalina's design. Game is really good and I wish the Smash community would stop being so closed minded like it usually is.
Hating mobile games doesn't make you more of an epic gamer despite what reddit says, guys.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Guy who played GBFV's beta test here. Katalina is one of two pretty basic shoto characters in the game along with Gran, the main character. She has a projectile which is a single sword of ice she fires forwards, a rushing attack where she stabs forwards while moving, a shoryuken type move where she slashes her sword while jumping, and a barrier that absorbs every incoming hit for a short time and has her counterattack when you let go of the button. She's very basic in the grand scheme of playstyles for fighting games, and her moveset isn't exactly all that inspired. Granted I feel like there isn't a great ton of wiggle room for her to have given her role of a low-damage support unit in the mobile game, so this is likely the best they could do.

One interesting thing she has about her is that in her Super Skybound Art, the strongest supers each character has, she summons a sort of knight stand/persona that, to my knowledge, hasn't made an appearance in any Granblue media outside of Versus.
View attachment 227174
It's only used for her SSA, but I feel like this will come into play in the original game soon, especially whenever she gets her 5* uncap. Which means that, if she does come to Smash, it will likely factor into her moveset in some fashion. I think giving her a Persona but maybe having her operate in a semi-unique way from Joker, such as having it be a constant part of her moveset rather than Joker's temporary power up, could work.

On a different note, I guess you could put me on the support list. Katalina isn't my first choice for a Granblue rep but she seems to be the only one who had any discussion, even if it was only because of Vergeben. Sad to see people writing Granblue off just because it's a mobile game/gacha or because of Katalina's design. Game is really good and I wish the Smash community would stop being so closed minded like it usually is.
Hating mobile games doesn't make you more of an epic gamer despite what reddit says, guys.
True, and I certainly believe we will get a mobile game rep, even if it’s not Kat. But the more I think about, the more I want her in!

Edit: I forgot to share my thoughts on her moveset. It seems simple indeed, and I honestly thought it was going to be a little more complex, but it is good enough for Smash. She reminds me of Simon and Richter in terms of simple, but effective attacks, but I wonder what else they could do to set Kat apart from the rest of the cast. Maybe they could use assets from the original mobile and the Re:Link game? Also her Persona (?) looks pretty sweet. It could be part of Kat’s Final Smash, and it would be cool if they kept the same art style and animation from Versus!

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly shortly after the release of the base game There was a person on twitter who correctly predicted "Dragon Quest Hero" with no Female Alts. Who also predicted "Female Fighting Game character" and they didn't remember who the character was.

I think there is a good chance It could be Katalina seeing as she has been rumored before and that Grandblue is getting an upcoming fighting game.

Otherwise, The most likely to fit that category is Chun-Li. Most other names being thrown around as possibilities seem like HUGE stretches such as Morrigan.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77791445

BTW, While there are several more characters I would prefer more, I would be happy if Katalina gets in the game.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Supposedly shortly after the release of the base game There was a person on twitter who correctly predicted "Dragon Quest Hero" with no Female Alts. Who also predicted "Female Fighting Game character" and they didn't remember who the character was.

I think there is a good chance It could be Katalina seeing as she has been rumored before and that Grandblue is getting an upcoming fighting game.

Otherwise, The most likely to fit that category is Chun-Li. Most other names being thrown around as possibilities seem like HUGE stretches such as Morrigan.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77791445

BTW, While there are several more characters I would prefer more, I would be happy if Katalina gets in the game.
Interesting, though in a later tweet, which is in English, he said that now it’s just a female character. I’m skeptical about this, but I would love to see another female fighter join the roster, especially if it’s Kat, so I’m hoping this is true at the same time.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Update: It looks like it was just a joke and the person doesn’t really know who the next challenger is. No matter, at least we have more freedom to speculate.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, though in a later tweet, which is in English, he said that now it’s just a female character. I’m skeptical about this, but I would love to see another female fighter join the roster, especially if it’s Kat, so I’m hoping this is true at the same time.

Update: It looks like it was just a joke and the person doesn’t really know who the next challenger is. No matter, at least we have more freedom to speculate.
How do you know it was a joke?

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
How do you know it was a joke?
He straight up said it. He then tweeted later that there will be a character with a flying weapon, but, yeah, after the joke I’m not buying any of this, so we will just have to wait and see what happens. That is, until we hear anything new from Vergeben and the other leakers. Here’s the tweets he posted:

With all that said, I will take a closer look into his Twitter profile and will return with anything that may be worth a mention.

Edit: Ok, I’m back. Nothing really major, but the user put up quick summary on what the next fighter could look like, basically stuff we already heard, but I thought this could be worth discussing. Here’s the tweet:

Last edited:

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Katalina is very unlikely to me, but I do believe a Granblue character could happen if Sakurai wanted to represent a mobage. Cygames is already a huge partner for Nintendo, and GBF is extremely popular in Japan. I just believe Gran/Djeeta have more chances due to how Sakurai tends to do character selection.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I hope this support thread isn't dead because I'm joining it! I am super hype for GBFV and future Katalina Main right here and I hope she gets into Smash in the future!

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
I hope this support thread isn't dead because I'm joining it! I am super hype for GBFV and future Katalina Main right here and I hope she gets into Smash in the future!
Doesn’t seem to be dead, this thread is just inactive at the moment since it hasn’t been updated for a year now. Don’t know if the host is still around or not, but I do hope the thread becomes active again because after the release of GBVS, it’s certain we will have more supporters who will be happy to jump in. :)

Top Bottom