• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Last minute good luck. Keep me posted via text message with what's going on. Use my old number and not my new one please since I'm out here in CA.

DeLux

did i say quit..meant main mk
Good. I need the MK practice. After I got knocked out of bracket today (which was super early because I faced TKD who didn't even bother going Fox against Ice Climbers, went straight for the CP, and then UTT aka another MK) I just spent the day practicing the MK matchup with people. And the Kirby one, which when played correctly is like MK lite.

Congrats to Fino and Danny on their placings. And MJG too if I'm not mistaken, but I haven't seen official results yet.

I'll be back late tomorrow, so I won't be there if there's smash. I'm kind of smashed out after this weekend though.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Oh... Well, uh... I don't think you'd want for me to count this one. All it's going to do is move you down a few spots.

DeLux

LOL that's what I want though. That way when I go out of state, and style on people, I can be like, "Oh by the way, I'm ranked (Insert Awesomely Large Number) in Kansas. We are too good."

I told that to people at the tourney I was 12 in Kansas and they were all WTf?

I'll see if I can get a bracket because they say it's on twitter somewhere. But otherwise until I learn the MK match up, I am garbage tier and should be power ranked as such.

Xion DarkRose

Smash Apprentice
I think I'll randomly show up to smash tonight xD
you know, to keep up my image as that one Young Link/ Sonic player who comes around every now and again.
Of course, only if it's cool with you Duck.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
you know, to keep up my image as that one Young Link/ Sonic player who comes around every now and again.
all is welcome (speaking for duck) :) ..
also damn..u picked the day i can't come..i played u at the lenexa tourny..was the falco

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
When you come to my house just assertively go on in and head downstairs (the stairs down are under the stairs up). The lesser the scene in front of the door the easier it is on my dogs.

DeLux

I WAS going to surprise you all and stop by on my way home from the airport. unfortunately, my flight is delayed, so I probably won't get out of KCI until after 10 instead of a little before 9.

Xion DarkRose

Smash Apprentice
Had a good time last night, though it's very rare when I don't win a single match. Lol can't really complain much, I havn't played since that one tournament at Collectors Cache. I learned a few things and got some good advice. Next week will be better for me.
Edit: Pratice makes perfect, and good people to pratice with will make me stronger.

DeLux

So Fino and I were talking last night, and I thought I'd go ahead and bring it up again to guage some interest.

I think that our scene is getting to the point where we're ready to host a tournament. I mentioned the possiblity of getting a large venue for this endeavor, but wasn't able to get any solid commitments from you guys to warrant filing a venue request.

I've already spoken to the KC Melee group, and they said they were onboard to help us in the event we decided to host something.

What I would need from you guys to even consider filing a venue request would be:

-Commitment from 1 other person to help me Co-TO the tournament. This means that you can't play in the tournament, because I'm not allowed to have any sort of people running it "profit" from the tourney.

-Between everyone, I would like to see if we can put together a list of between 6-10 setups. Ideally we would get more from other people attending, but I want to at least be able to count on having that many before even looking at outside help.

- We would need to figure out housing for people that are out of state. I was hoping that if we got such a large venue, that we could at least get some regional representation along with a strong local presence.

- Help advertising the tourney for the locals.

-A weekend in April that works for everyone

Depending on which avenue I explore, it would either be at the Church in Lawrence of the Lawrence Public Library. This first tournament might serve as a trial run for a quarterly regional tournament. And then possibly lead us to hosting a yearly two-day national tournament.

If I can get some solid commitment from people, I'll go ahead and see if I can find some sponsors and the venue. Remember, the goal would be to benefit a non-profit organization (Either the Public Library or the Breakfast for the Needy program that I intern for) via "venue fees" as donations.

DeLux

Man, if we're talking about the DQ thing, this is ACTUALLY what happened:

I played Automatic the day earlier in pools with IC's. He accidentally paused the game as I was Uair stringing him. After he unpaused without warning, he actually started attacking me and did damage because I had stopped playing.

I thought about it and said, "Well, it's just pools so I'll let it go." We played on.

The next day, we're playing doubles. I'm playing with my friend in CA named Jeff, who doesn't play competitively at all, or hadn't even been playing brawl for more than a week lol

We lost set 1 pretty badly. We win set 2 because whoever was playing Kirby made like a baddie and SD'd. (Keep in mind, I was playing my ****ty MK because I was tired of getting styled on as Wario, with a teammate who doesn't play Brawl at ALL and they were STILL losing because I was mad carrying the team). We get to the next set on PS1 and we take a two stock lead. I'm not sure why, but the guy freaking pauses the game. At the time, he was getting Tornadoed or Uair'd by my partner while I was offstage fighting Pikachu with MK. We lose that position because of the pause. Not only that, but he unpauses it without warning AND then does two Lucario Uairs on my partner while we aren't playing.

I asked the TO's what to do and they said they lose the set.

It wasn't like "I'm chain grabbing you and you accidentally paused." Or something stupid like that. If they had just unpaused with warning, I would have just let the set continue without even making them lose the stock. But not only did they pause, they started attacking us too. So that combined with that happening the previous day with the same person being involved (automatic was the teammate of the guy), I was like, "These are ****ing tourney players, they should know better."

But hey, if that makes me an *******, so be it. And it's funny, I played absolutely ****ty in pools (like super super ****ty couldn't do my desync ****ty) but won. But then I was playing "well" in bracket in the sense I was executing my game plan, but still lost because I'm bad at the MK matchup and my gameplan needed reworking. So if they say I'm bad, they are basing it off playing my Dair > Dsmash repeatedly MK or my IC's when I can't do any of my desyncs because my hands were freezing (given that I try to play almost always desynced, you could see how this was bad). I'm not good by any means, and I'll be the first to admit that. But they were in the wrong there, not me.

DeLux

Yeah, I talked to Automatic afterwards and told him the exact same thing. I thought I cleared up the reasons and didn't have bad blood or anything like that. But apparently that wasn't the case.

Oh well, I think in tourney I'm going to demand a no pausing rule. Just so I don't have to deal with this nonsense. I mean, at this point I don't really care about reputation. But if you wanted to share the TRUTH of what happened, that would be great.

Someone's Wii somewhere out there has a replay of it actually, to verify my story. I might be an *******, but I'm not a liar.

Smash Lord
I wanted to play against your Kirby, but yeah.. Lol. Perhaps next time.
You weren't missing much. Danny and blake are both significantly better than I am. I was 2-3 stocked most of the night from sleep deprivation. I think the only game I actually won, was when someone was playing Ike and SD'ed twice early on.

So Fino and I were talking ...

What I would need from you guys to even consider filing a venue request would be:

-Commitment from 1 other person to help me Co-TO the tournament. This means that you can't play in the tournament, because I'm not allowed to have any sort of people running it "profit" from the tourney.

If I can get the opportunity to go to a tournament or two just to see the process between now and you running this, I can practically guarantee that I'll be this person.

-Between everyone, I would like to see if we can put together a list of between 6-10 setups. Ideally we would get more from other people attending, but I want to at least be able to count on having that many before even looking at outside help.

+1 brawlsetup from me , +1 tiny TV, +1 SSB64 setup.
it wasnt him it was his teammate that *****ed about it XD

problem is that replays dont shows pauses so it wouldnt prove anything
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to find the situation described. Unlike me, I don't think Lux hesitates every other second when he's playing. The Uair chain should make it pretty easy to find too.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Just turn off pausing next time. It'll solve a lot of problems. Of course, the opposing team's DQ was warranted. -_- This brawl community...

DeLux

It would be easy to find because it would be like the last 10 seconds of the match lol. It wouldn't show a pause, but it would show us all of a sudden stop moving and then we get attacked.

But enough of that, I'm moving on.

Oh, I have classes at the Edwards campus on Wednesday afternoons and Thursday night. If anyone wanted me to come by regularly after for some practice, that would be great :). We could even meet at the Edwards Campus and I could bring my wii and just setup in the library if they didn't object haha

Top Bottom