• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kaillera's Gameplay Recording Help

SuperDanny

Smash Rookie
Yo! This is my first post here but I've been lurking for years, and I've been playing on kaillera for more then 2 years now. Maybe some of you have seen me at EGX? Anyways, I finally decided to post here because I seek advice that I just couldn't find on my own.

I have been using the new P2P kaillera client to record online matches and it's been working wonderfully. The ".krec" files it creates are small and playback in the emulator perfectly. However I am having trouble turning these playbacks into video files. I remember awhile ago, Okaygo created a topic about a program that could convert Mupen game recordings directly into AVI files during offline playback, but I think the topic was locked and deleted or something, I can't find it. I am curious, did this program ever see the light of day and was it ever distributed? I have tried using things like Fraps and HyperCam 2, however my machine isn't powerful enough to record anything "decently watchable".

Using VERY bizarre and frustrating methods I managed to create this very short Youtube video, but the process for it's creation is something I would never want to go through again (it involved a VCR, and took almost an hour for such a small video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUQfR7fxkY

So basically, I'm just wondering... is there a program for converting kaillera's gameplay recordings into video files yet?

cam`

Smash Apprentice
try camstudio if hypercam doesn't work, although i don't know how people go from ugly big video file to youtube.

SuperDanny

Smash Rookie
I just tried CamStudio, it worked better then HyperCam 2 but still, it produces something that I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have to watch. My machine just isn't strong enough for these desktop recorders I suppose. Unless there are some good recording settings for lesser powerful machines that I haven't discovered?

Meh, I just wish I could convert ".krec" to ".avi", but I suppose that's asking too much.

nuro

Smash Lord
I guess I can just list what I do step by step...

Once you have the KREC file in your recordings folder just

Open Mupen

Go to your Kaillera go to playback (Im using Sept 15 2007 version of kaillera)

Play your Krec File

Press Alt+F10

Save your file somewhere where you can remember

Use Full Frames Decompress to record. Even though the files becomes huge we are going to convert it later so it becomes smaller

Once your done recording it go to C:/Program Files/Movie Maker/Windows movie maker and just open up windows movie maker.

Drag and drop your movie file u just made into movie maker.

Make sure you see your movie on the bottom line aka your timeline.

Click on the file tab > click Save movie file

Save your movie file somewhere where you can remember.

Follow the instructions and wait until your new movie file is done.

Viola! you have a small video file ready to upload on youtube. You can delete your huge video file now.

PS- EGX is down for me. Did the site die?

SuperDanny

Smash Rookie
Yes that's right, I've recorded my matches using Project64k and the P2P kaillera client. I suppose until someone makes something like that for PJ64, I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way, VCR ftw :p

Studstill

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Yes was there ever any progress on this, specifically what can play PJ64 generated krec files other than PJ64?

Sangoku

Smash Master
This necrobump wasn't necessary at all, such a simple question could have been asked directly.

And there has been quite some talk about this subject lately. The conclusion is we know nothing about KREC files and our only hope is that Madao manages to understand them.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Yes was there ever any progress on this, specifically what can play PJ64 generated krec files other than PJ64?

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet
a krec file is just a file of recorded inputs, the only work for the game they were recorded for in its respective emulator

Top Bottom