• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kaillera Server "Smash FU" to be hosted in NY again on monday

caneut

Smash Ace
ny if you want it just like it was.

FL no

chicago? why, waste of money

toronto would be nice for a lot of people but me :(

TEXAS! Yes. Wc server + midcoast server + eastcoast server = smash 64 online is good

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i voted Dallas even tho i live in Orlando cuz having a server in Dallas would open up server play for Mexican players which would be cool. also a server in Orlando seems kinda dumb cuz it wouldn't be good for anyone except Floridians and we can already just p2p each other. The ny location is also good.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Actually play on server? So you'd play on the server with more frames instead of the LA server? The LA server is empty, and the TX server will share the same fate. I know how the server dynamic works. I've hosted servers before after all. One thing I've learned is that this community is too small to have that many servers. Like I told Matts, by having more servers, you are dividing an already small userbase. I've hosted a server in Texas and it was hardly used. People will only play in Chicago or NY because that's the area where mostly everyone lives. (i.e. east coast)

I voted for Chicago, but I wouldn't mind NY if there's no packet dropping if your ping is above a certain threshold. Aka the WC gets ****ed.

Since I mostly p2p nowadays, and now that DCT is actually populated because FU is down, I've been getting some games in; I totally forgot how annoying that 18.5 min lagout is. If we can't remake kaillera, can we at least fix that?

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Actually play on server? So you'd play on the server with more frames instead of the LA server? The LA server is empty, and the TX server will share the same fate. I know how the server dynamic works. I've hosted servers before after all. One thing I've learned is that this community is too small to have that many servers. Like I told Matts, by having more servers, you are dividing an already small userbase. I've hosted a server in Texas and it was hardly used. People will only play in Chicago or NY because that's the area where mostly everyone lives. (i.e. east coast)

I voted for Chicago, but I wouldn't mind NY if there's no packet dropping if your ping is above a certain threshold. Aka the WC gets ****ed.

Since I mostly p2p nowadays, and now that DCT is actually populated because FU is down, I've been getting some games in; I totally forgot how annoying that 18.5 min lagout is. If we can't remake kaillera, can we at least fix that?
It's not about the frames. Sure you WANT low frames, but you play with what you can get.

LA server is empty because no one plays on it, and there is no one to play. East coast server is played because people are there to play. If there was a Texas server, the small amount of wc people that wanted to play can play EC, broadening the user base, and mid coast people can have low ping. The only thing a NY server will do is divide the fanbase that uses the chicago server and the NY server, which is exactly the point your making. There is literally only a 1 frame difference between ny and chicago for most people, IF ANY (I'm in GA and I get 2 frames in both (actually 3 sometimes in fu now because of weird routing, even more reason to have only dct)).

You make an argument for splitting a user base and vote to split the user base, congrats.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
LA server is empty because no one plays on it, and there is no one to play. East coast server is played because people are there to play.
You don't say.

If there was a Texas server, the small amount of wc people that wanted to play can play EC, broadening the user base, and mid coast people can have low ping.
Nope. No one from the EC is going to go out of their way to play you in another server where they get higher frames. It's like when I would ask on FU if anyone wanted to play at DCT. No one replied to me. People are going to go to the server that they want to be on. They're not going to hang around on a server where they get higher frames. I've hosted a server in Texas before while I also hosted one in NY. The Texas server was always empty. The only time it wasn't empty was when the NY one would go down.

The only thing a NY server will do is divide the fanbase that uses the chicago server and the NY server, which is exactly the point your making. There is literally only a 1 frame difference between ny and chicago for most people, IF ANY (I'm in GA and I get 2 frames in both (actually 3 sometimes in fu now because of weird routing, even more reason to have only dct)).

You make an argument for splitting a user base and vote to split the user base, congrats.
The only reason why DCT has people right now is because FU is down. Once that's back up, DCT will be empty again. It's not dividing anything. I'm pretty sure pablito has said already that we aren't in control of DCT. It could go down tomorrow for all we know. But then you have the argument that you can just make a server if DCT goes down. Here's where my experience of hosting servers come into play. You lose people when you change IP addresses. They think the server is down and it's GG NO RE. You can't keep changing IP addresses like that because you lose players. Obviously the core players or the players who have some understanding of this are going to come back, but this is not the case for the rest of the people. Those people will eventually find it, but it's going to take some time.

Last edited:

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Just break things down here

1. There is already a west coast server that works very well, just no one uses it because there are only like 5 good WC players, some of which are only semi-active

2. DCT works well for the most part, and is in chicago. Unless it goes down there is no reason to add another chicago server

3. Realistically most people won't get good ping to a toronto server, its further from most people than the New York option.

4. Really the only issue with New York server is it alienates West coast and mexico from being able to play. Personally I think NY is fine, because I am fine with playing on 6 frames.

5. Florida helps players from the south, and most east coast players would get 3 frames(most florida players got 3 frames to FU, at least, but I am probably wrong to assume EC players will get 3). It is also closer to mexico than NY is.

Whatever is chosen, PLEASE MAKE SURE THERE IS NO 60MS+ FEDEX ISSUE ON LAN

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
looks like we may need a FL server as well, it was a really close poll

i'll see about hosting one there, too; but no promises for now

thanks to all who voted

NO, i did not vote myself

Skrlx

Smash Champion
>implying there's 300 online players

*check avatar for reaction*

SheerMadness

Smash Master
How the hell did Orlando win?

And I agree with Marbles, should have been Dallas. About as close to the middle of the country as were going to get.

EDIT: Nvm I skipped the original post. Orlando is currently in the lead but apparently not when voting closed.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Near. A lot of people would actually want to play you if they didn't get **** frames from your ****ty location. I could get 3 frames easily to texas, and im sure you'd get 4-5. That's not BAD (not good) but playable, and I would definately play you more, and I'm sure a few others too.

Yes, dct can be removed at any time, but it hasn't. You know what DID go down? Smash fu.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Near. A lot of people would actually want to play you if they didn't get **** frames from your ****ty location.
This has no relevance because I wasn't talking about p2p. I was talking about having people go to DCT from FU.

I could get 3 frames easily to texas, and im sure you'd get 4-5. That's not BAD (not good) but playable, and I would definately play you more, and I'm sure a few others too.
I would get 3 or 4 frames.

Yes, dct can be removed at any time, but it hasn't. You know what DID go down? Smash fu.
Yeah, because I LOVE SMASH didn't want to pay anymore or something. We were able to do something about it though, as evidenced by KnitePhox's initiative to host a server. If something happens to KP's server, we can do something to keep it up whether it's donations or a new server. Anyway, the new server is up now, so just watch until DCT is empty again. :colorful:

I get 7 frames in the new server. Who wants to get pwned?

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
You're missing the point. A texas server would allow wc to play ec on low frames. so WHY THE **** NOT?

It would honestly be better than two servers right ****ing next to eachother. And just like smash fu went down and we were able to choose the location, if DCT went down, we should just move the server to chicago right?

I go to DCT whenever possible because it is the better server (I don't know about new smashfu), and if the texas server was good, I would definitely play on a texas server vs someone who couldn't play on a ny or chicago server, and that's the ENTIRE POINT. (when I try to play someone who cant play ny or chicago, both players get high delay.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Even though I'm closer to the NY one, I'd like to be in Texas. It's better for more people

caneut

Smash Ace
Ideally you want servers to give the best connection to the largest area of players, while also being usable to the farthest area of players. If we represent the number of players per area, I'd say it pretty much fits exactly into a bellcurve, the most being EC, while the lower ends of the spectrum being westcoast, south america, europe and japan. Playing Japan is out of the question and South America is pushing it, but a proper server configuration is to have one in EC for EC players, one between EC and WC for national play, and someone hosting a server on an oilrig haflway between EC and europe.

Top Bottom