• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K9sbruce: The Future King Of Smash?

The crowd is bouncing. A chant rings out in the room: "King of Smash! King of Smash! King of Smash!" but Ken is nowhere is sight. This isn't even Genesis 3, it's a SoCal local that brought in ESAM as a special guest and 190 entrants packed the halls to defend SoCal's reputation for being one of the most stacked regions in Smash.

One of those players was K9sbruce. 2GGT: ESAM Saga was some people's first look at this player and many learned of his dream of becoming the King of Smash. He took down ESAM, took a game away from ZeRo and kept every match close, but sadly would lose to VoiD in losers finals and not have another shot at the titan of Smash 4. While his run at Genesis 3 was not as bright, he is still passionately pursuing his goal.

"I am K9sbruce, the man who will become the King of Smash." It's a straightforward introduction, no outlines, no fancy words, just sheer determination. He will need it to achieve his goal: to becoming the greatest player in both Smash 4 and in Melee. To become so strong he usurps Ken's throne and becomes more feared in a Smash 4 bracket than ZeRo has ever been. "The ideal goal would be winning nationals for both games back to back."

Despite wanting this crown, the inspiration for the title didn't actually come from Ken. "The title king of smash came from one piece because I love Luffy as a character." he explained. "I took it from one piece because he says 'I'm going to become the king of the pirates.'"

K9sbruce vs ESAM - 2GGT: ESAM Saga

Obviously not a player that shies away from a challenge, he has many in front of hi before this goal can ever be achieved, and currently the biggest threat to his own success comes from with. "My mentality has become my biggest challenge." he confessed. "I have a tendency to let other people control my desire to win in too many situations. I have all inside me the passion is all here, so now I'm learning how to channel from within. Once I master this, I'll flip the smash world upside down."

He's not alone in pursuing this dream however, he has many friends and supporters to back him up. There's a reason the "King of Smash" chants were so loud. Even while attempting to gain the crown and thrown, he still has time to help those around him achieve their dreams as well.

"More and more as time goes on people are starting to believe in the dream. My friends all have their own dreams that they want to accomplish, we all keep each other going.

"Sky wants to become the best comedian ever. Nips wants to become the Queen of art along with Sade. Tyrant wants to become the best Meta Knight in the world. VoiD wants to eventually stream and become good at a variety of games and help teach people how to become good. MacD wants to surpass Armada as a Peach player." he told us. "My friends all have their own dreams that they want to accomplish, we all keep each other going. As time goes on people are starting to believe in the dream."

---​

The next time to see K9sbruce outside of SoCal will likely be at CEO although he has plans to attend Shots Fired 2 if possible. To stay up to date with his triumphs and struggles as he attempts to become the King of Smash be sure to follow him on Twitter. Will K9sbruce ever truly become king? Only time will tell.

Comments

Isn't that guy who used to always ***** and scream about losing, and even screamed and ran out of the room after losing lol

yeah okay king of smash don't **** yourself when nobody calls you that

Glad to see someone with high aspirations!

Be he wary however, lest he find himself at a dead end in the future. That's when the wheat is separated from the chaff.

I didn't notice anything exceptional in adaptation, mixups, combos, di, reads, ect. He got his chip damage and was pretty good at not over-extending and finished out his stocks - Classic shiek if you ask me. He beat esam so clearly he has some skills, no question, but if were gonna hype people up on "the next king of smash" frankly, I'd expect to see better.

Would give his melee a watch out of slight curiosity.

A mediocre PM Meta Knight player that was only known for his childish and salty attitudes decides to become an average Smash 4 Sheik and wants to be called the King of Smash? Not trying to be rude but this is one of the most laughable things that I've heard in the community.

A mediocre PM Meta Knight player that was only known for his childish and salty attitudes decides to become an average Smash 4 Sheik and wants to be called the King of Smash? Not trying to be rude but this is one of the most laughable things that I've heard in the community.
K9 was pretty good at PM, arguably the best Meta Knight. I think the word you're looking for is inconsistent.

K9 was pretty good at PM, arguably the best Meta Knight. I think the word you're looking for is inconsistent.
Still flabbergasted to see this article. He's a mediocre player by top player standards. He hasn't placed inside the top 32 of a super major in any event except Brawl Apex 2015/PM Evo 2014, which were all joke side events.

He's on the same level as Chillindude. A top level player, but a mediocre top level player.

Now, I'm not calling him BAD by any means. But King of SMASH?!?! For a sub top top 35 Brawl/WiiU player who can't even play melee or 64. That's a joke. This article made me block the smashboards facebook account for spam.

Future King of Smash in 4 and Melee? Interesting...

He has a pretty decent Shiek... But good luck proving yourself against the big kids like M2K, Nairo, and ZeRo. In fact, good luck going against Mango, Armada, Hungrybox and dethroning Ken for that matter.

This article made me block the smashboards facebook account for spam.
Hold on a sec here, not liking the player featured in the article does not mean the article itself is bad. SmashCapps usually produces high quality articles and this one proves it.

K9 is my favorite smasher to watch. Every hard match he plays he pops off dramatically and it's just so entertaining.

It's just another sheik. He is being overhyped like vinnie.
Vinnie's actually good, though. But like someone said, this K9 scrub has never even hit Top 32 in a major. No way in hell this kid's gonna be the "King of Smash" before me when I actually placed 9th at Tipped Off.

One thing I enjoy about his playstyle has to be how humble it is, it isn't necessarily incredible to watch but it seems to work pretty well. Definitely not top TOP player material yet but he can get there with enough polish.

Last edited:
Still flabbergasted to see this article. He's a mediocre player by top player standards. He hasn't placed inside the top 32 of a super major in any event except Brawl Apex 2015/PM Evo 2014, which were all joke side events.

He's on the same level as Chillindude. A top level player, but a mediocre top level player.

Now, I'm not calling him BAD by any means. But King of SMASH?!?! For a sub top top 35 Brawl/WiiU player who can't even play melee or 64. That's a joke. This article made me block the smashboards facebook account for spam.
Lmfao, OP Chillin and K9 getting bodied out here in these comments

Vinnie's actually good, though. But like someone said, this K9 scrub has never even hit Top 32 in a major. No way in hell this kid's gonna be the "King of Smash" before me when I actually placed 9th at Tipped Off.

I would love to see you get flown out to 2GG in SoCal lol. Last I checked your top 5 player Fatality didn't even make top 5? You should really humble yourself before you start calling anyone a scrub lol

I would love to see you get flown out to 2GG in SoCal lol. Last I checked your top 5 player Fatality didn't even make top 5? You should really humble yourself before you start calling anyone a scrub lol
I really don't have time for people like you, so I'm going to make this quick.

I haven't heard of you. You're probably not ranked. There's kids like you all over Twitch that sound like you.

If you honestly feel the need to tell me off because I called someone a scrub, $10 money match me. I'll be at Shots Fired 2 and Pound. If you read this sentence immediately denying this challenge in your head, we have no further business to discuss. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I really don't have time for people like you, so I'm going to make this quick.

I haven't heard of you. You're probably not ranked. There's kids like you all over Twitch that sound like you.

If you honestly feel the need to tell me off because I called someone a scrub, $10 money match me. I'll be at Shots Fired 2 and Pound. If you read this sentence immediately denying this challenge in your head, we have no further business to discuss. Have a nice day.

Lol you've become such a cocky asshole since your semi success in smash4 when you were barely relevant before. You don't know my name on here but I know you. And if you were a real competitor you would be saving your pennies for EVO not those tournaments. If you ever venture out West Coast I'll be sure to expose you for any amount of money, then let the rest of the SoCal PR rotate on you next. But in the off chance K9 actually goes to Pound or Shots Fired I'll be sure he finds you there to shut your mouth himself.

EDIT: I almost wish you were relevant enough to even be flown to a 2GG tournament to drown in pools lol.

Last edited:
Just for a small sample, K9 got 9th at Final Battle, which had more entrants than Tipped Off.

Top Bottom