• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Honestly it's just comforting to know that, while we may become the new "Ridley" fan base, it's only because they don't have to suffer anymore. Our pain started because theirs ended. At least they can understand how we feel.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Just make K.Rool. the obligatory retro character.

Done.
We have asked Retro a thousand times to make K. Rool the obligatory next character, Oh---WAIT

No, but seriously. I don't think he should be Retro. I think others should have that chance. K. Rool should actually be in a new Retro Studios game, kudos to the joke I made.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Honestly it's just comforting to know that, while we may become the new "Ridley" fan base, it's only because they don't have to suffer anymore. Our pain started because theirs ended. At least they can understand how we feel.
Well, a lot of the Ridley fanbase is already here, so we just need to hope lightning strikes twice and we get to see both of our reptilian villains.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
And this isn't some rule written into Sakurai's contract. People act like the man is not malleable, even after everything we've seen with Ultimate.
Except the only one who says that is the fans. No one but Sakurai makes the rules, and even those are malleable.

It’s moving the goalposts to erroneously assign stated popularity as factors for Ridley and Mega Man differently. It’s literally the reason both got in. Sakurai wouldn’t reach out to Capcom if Mega Man wasn’t popular, and wouldn’t have gone back on Ridley for the same reasons.
Um I never said Megaman wasn't popular I said relevance had nothing to do with 3rd parties

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's right, you're the one saying that. You know who isn't saying that, or any of these other "rules?"

You are aware he laid out some actual ground rules for 3rd parties in an interview right? I mean sure he's probe to changing his mind but it's still the most concrete thing we have in terms of character selection.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Both K. Rool and Waluigi are examples that it doesn't matter how often or sparingly a character is used. If they can RESONATE and endear themselves to rgw people, thats what matters. Bottom line: Both are deserving and, as a fan of both, I support them.

BEING that this is the K. ROOL thread though, I ask you: What are YOU doing to let Nintendo know K. Rool matters? Its noy enough to sit and hope!

Me, I'm trying to educate those that are unaware about him and his importance to the DK lore!
I'm not going to go out of my way to advertise Waluigi in the K. Rool thread, and they're clearly different in the roles they have in their source material. But one important area where the two overlap is in their standout personalities.

I do think personality is an underrated factor that makes some characters more electric additions than others. Comparing characters like Duck Hunt and Shulk, for example, the former has so much expressiveness that bleeds over into his attacks, with how he smirks while cans are being shot around or goes bug-eyed when falling from Up Special. Meanwhile the latter has a cool catchphrase or two, but otherwise gets a fairly run-of-the-mill brave, heroic portrayal.

Both K. Rool and Waluigi are solidly in the camp of characters you couldn't possibly add without their over-the-top personalities being conveyed to some extent. In that way, I think there's a similar appeal in requesting them as newcomers.
I like this comparison between K. Rool and Waluigi. It's a pretty interesting comparison that I hadn't thought about. Lots of characters have benefited with Smash having more expressions and personality present and K. Rool would greatly benefit as well.

I wish Nintendo would put Waluigi in a main Mario game or put him in Wario Land/Wario World sequel. He definitely deserves more than spinoff games (as much as I like them). He needs a game that flesh out his personality and develop him more as a character. Seeing people call Waluigi a "meme character" or a "joke character" kinda irritates me. He is much more than that. I've enjoyed his character for years and wanted him in since the Brawl days.

Anyways, it's great to see K. Rool continue to have a loyal and sustaining fanbase for years. I'm thankful to be with you guys as part of the Kutthroats. I just hope we get our satisfying inclusion of both K. Rool and Dixie.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Problem is that the rules might apply in time situated scenarios.
In each iteration since Brawl, this man has changed his mind so many times, we can't take any rules for fact, as they change everytime.
Unless something is stated during this "smash", we can't really use much of the old "rules and/or patterns" people have based their speculation on in the past. That's why he is unpredictable.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You are aware he laid out some actual ground rules for 3rd parties in an interview right? I mean sure he's probe to changing his mind but it's still the most concrete thing we have in terms of character selection.
If you're going to quote "evidence", then present it or don't mention it at all.

Of course, I can find "evidence" of damning things Sakurai has said as well. And they were very :ultridley: "big" :ultridley: revelations at the time.

There's a very specific bottom line for anything against K. Rool.

Either popularity (based on an unprecedented ballot) will get him in, as well as potential other factors, or he won't get in.

Nothing anyone says about his chances matter. We know the ballot was a thing that was in all likelihood in his favor, and we know he got at least a bit of unusual recognition for reasons that *might* be the ballot.

He's in, or he's not. No one in here is saying it's a guarantee.

Getting a little fed up seeing people come in here and act like they understand Sakurai's rules. And I'm even more annoyed by the "holier-than-thou" attitude some people have about it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Remember when Ridley and Snake were for sure absolutely not going to be in this game? Remember when Takamaru was a shoe-in?

I have no idea why this thread has attracted people who have nothing to do but bring out arguments old as the sun about the character that have been covered endlessly. Maybe because the character is so popular he is deemed as a threat. Maybe they just want to knock us down a peg because by god, if those K. Rool fans are confident, they better show them who's boss!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
Here's the article. Jeez mate I didn't post it because it's been quoted so often I didn't feel the need to. There's no need to be rude.
I appreciate the article, thanks. Though, looking at it, it’s one I’ve read before. And it really does nothing to say that first parties aren’t considered for the same reasons. It just takes out a step. It can’t just be anyone, the character must have history. Ridley clearly fits those criteria.

Mega Man wouldn’t have gotten in if he wasn’t iconic and popular, but relevancy comes up nowhere as an exception for 3rd parties.

If K. Rool is as popular as it seems, he technically fits those.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
And continue to do our part and let Sakurai know.

Seriously, people! Send him your art, your requests, anything you have! Just be CIVIL when you do.

Me, Im doin this: https://clyp.it/v4cwxnfg
While, I won't say it was the reason, I remember Arcadenik did that for Duck Hunt Dog, and what do you know, he did appear.
I do think it's cool to see Ridley supporters coming here. It's nice to see that the reptile fans could be friends with one another. Their war has finally paid off, and I'm really happy for them getting Ridley. I hope K. Rool will be the next to follow, at least then my biggest wish for Smash has finally come to a reality.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Whooo, we havin' a hot time in the ole' K. Rool thread tonight!

It's funny Mega Man is brought up considering before he got in, Capcom was doing SWEET F*CK ALL with him. Almost like....Nintendo is with...K. Rool?

NAAAAAAH. ~

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I appreciate the article, thanks. Though, looking at it, it’s one I’ve read before. And it really does nothing to say that first parties aren’t considered for the same reasons. It just takes out a step. It can’t just be anyone, the character must have history. Ridley clearly fits those criteria.

Mega Man wouldn’t have gotten in if he wasn’t iconic and popular, but relevancy comes up nowhere as an exception for 3rd parties.

If K. Rool is as popular as it seems, he technically fits those.
Huh I was never was arguing about whether or not Ridley or K Rool was influenced by those rules I was just saying 3rd parties aren't affected by promotion or relevancy

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like that idea of the art.

But, I mean, unless you expect him as a DLC character it's kinda too late.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Huh I was never was arguing about whether or not Ridley or K Rool was influenced by those rules I was just saying 3rd parties aren't affected by promotion or relevancy
^
This is true. I fully agree. None of the 3rd parties are really added because of promotion or relevancy.
One could say Bayonetta, but she is very recent in everything herself, so that's not a good point.

Street Fighter is an on going series, and SF II is always getting re-re-re x100-released, so he is always relevent anyways.

Cloud Strife was the primary protagonist in the 7th installment, and while it is a shed of light that this particular game is getting it's HD remake, I think it's a mere coincidence, and the sole reason for Cloud is because he is the most popular main protagonist of the whole franchise which was the key factor for his inclusion.

Snake was first and foremost a request by his friend, Kojima during Melee. We saw how that ended for Smash 4. What happened for Ultimate is beyond me, but I'm really happy that Sakurai and Konami could still play ball with each other. I'm sure Sakurai and Kojima had a nice dinner, sipping some wine, and Kojima told Sakurai that it's ok ... Put my baby boii back, I don't mind. (If anyone want to read my fan fic, go to www.justjoking---)

Mega Man has a huge historical following with Nintendo, and even if Capcom has not done too much for him recently, he still got a lot of great justice by Nintendo. Meaning, relevancy did not be an issue.

Pac-Man is the father of video game icons. He is more or less a brand than a continued series of evolution.

Sonic, well ... Gotta go fast, he is always there. It's everything Sega cares about, besides Pyuo Pyuo and Yakuza.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The problem with that is nothing suggests Ridley was added for anything but popularity, meaning he didn’t need relevancy or promotion either. At the time the roster was decided, Metroid was dead. And Sakurai literally said it was popularity that got him in. Full stop.

My main issue with all of these discussions is I’m not sure why people come in here and tell us things we’ve heard for years when this is clearly a brand new smash with a new ideology. Even if that’s not true, (not directed specifically at you) why go into a fanbase’s thread and tell them how unlikely you think they are?

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
Bois, I'm pretty sure king k rool will get in, like this game is basically fan service and king k rool is like the 2nd most wanted character right after Ridley.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'll say the same thing as I did with Ridley: I'll believe it when I see a K.Rool victory screen.

Until then, I'll hope upon hope. Especially since the other two of my top three are looking ridiculously unlikely...

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Bois, I'm pretty sure king k rool will get in, like this game is basically fan service and king k rool is like the 2nd most wanted character right after Ridley.
]Even so, we must assume nothing. Do EVERYTHING you can to show support!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Even so, we must assume nothing. Do EVEERYTHING you can to show support!
Look. I know you mean this well, but it does not matter or hold any effect for the base game.
It's coming out in December, if K. Rool is part of the roster, he will be part of it, if not, it's too late.

We got to wait for the announcement of DLC.

Still, of course, I'm sure the man would enjoy the fan art when he is taking some well deserved breaks.

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
Look. I know you mean this well, but it does not matter or hold any effect for the base game.
It's coming out in December, if K. Rool is part of the roster, he will be part of it, if not, it's too late.

Still, of course, I'm sure the man would enjoy the fan art when he is taking some well deserved breaks.
Im confused, we're still gonna get acouple new characters. It's not like they're gonna reveal everything at e3 that'd be stupid

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

Oh, no doubt he needs a break. WE, however, must be vigilant. Yes, his status in the base roster may be decided, and we may not know about DLC, but until we get answers, we shouldn't assume he is or isn't in. As long as thats up in the air, we can continue to make our voices heard. Even if it all goes toward the NEXT game! :)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Im confused, we're still gonna get acouple new characters. It's not like they're gonna reveal everything at e3 that'd be stupid
Now, that is freaking obvious, isn't it? What was your point again?

I'm not saying that there won't be any other characters. I'm just saying that it is too late to affect the decision of the roster at this point. It was proposed in December of 2015.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

I'm not saying that there won't be any other characters. I'm just saying that it is too late to affect the decision of the roster at this point. It was proposed in December of 2015.
My main thing is don't let that give you cause not to remain vocal. Stranger things have happened. ~

I'll tell ya one thing: If Sakurai announces a DLC ballot for this, all bets are off!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Oh, we did our part of being vocal pre-Smash 4, and very loud during the Ballot.
If we did our job, then we will be rewarded.

It's ok to be vocal, and pushing for support, that's great, but if we did win back then, then we will see the results in December. (Hopefully even before then)

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531

My bad, with the whole dlc announcement bit I took it as you thinkin there weren't gonna be any new characters lol.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
My bad, with the whole dlc announcement bit I took it as you thinkin there weren't gonna be any new characters lol.
No worries, fam.
Just the fact that we can't do anything other than playing the waiting game, regarding Smash Ultimate, but we can have a lot of speculative fun while we wait, and while we don't know the outcome, we still got to wait for inevitable DLC announcement. Then Ballot vocal roar round 2 will begin.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
There WAS a quote from HMK that said he was told that what we have seen of SSBU is "Just the tip of the iceberg" - I smell a lot more surprises coming. NEW BALLOT WHEN?!

StormC

Smash Hero
What would the point of a new ballot be? The last one would give them enough to add DLC for years.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What would the point of a new ballot be? The last one would give them enough to add DLC for years.
New things have come out since the last one. I know I didn't get to vote any of the Champions, and I hadn't considered voting Dovahkiin either since Skyrim is a 'big-boy' game and would never end up on a Nintendo console. Besides, there are loads of support threads for Pauline, LABO robot, ARMS, etc.

Top Bottom