• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
New Smash game, new hype cycle, same old Kutthroats making some noise. Feels good to be home and supporting King K. Rool for another Smash game. Really hope this is his time to shine. He should have been in Smash 4, and they have even less of an excuse to not include him in Smash 5.
Not holding my breath but

I think this will be his shining smash

I mean sakurai clearly saw the votes and king k rool is clearly along the lines of the top 5

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Im glad you guys are still flying the flag for the rightful monarch. As soon as I saw the announcement video I thought straight back of the Kutthroats and wondered if there was still support for K. Rool. I was putting off checking to avoid any further disappointment but its make me happy we still stand.

We've got a chance this time right?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im glad you guys are still flying the flag for the rightful monarch. As soon as I saw the announcement video I thought straight back of the Kutthroats and wondered if there was still support for K. Rool. I was putting off checking to avoid any further disappointment but its make me happy we still stand.

Yes for two reasons

1. He got a mii costume in smash show it shows king k oil was not forgotten by Nintendo
  2. Clearly they saw the ballot and they saw k rool in the top 5 zone (fan polls scientifically proven that he's that high on the ballot) also by the fact they will probably acknowledging some of the top votes for this smash game (not all of them ofcoarse)

Morbi

Scavenger

Everyone technically has a chance. The big problem is that the Mii costume's nature is inherently antithetical. It either means he was heavily considered and next in line, or it means that this was a compensation reward. In other words, I give it about a 50/50 but once you weigh Nintendo's thoughts on him or Rare in general, apparently, because I am personally beyond positive that Banjo and Kazooie outvoted Bayonetta as well, and I feel as though he is still not entirely realistic.

As always, I would love to be wrong.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Call me optimistic, but I think now's the best chance K Rool's had in a long while. While fan demand was growing throughout Smash 4 development, Nintendo may not have known just how popular the character actually was until the ballot votes rolled in. The final DLCs were probably planned out and being worked on early on, but they knew they couldn't put out another new character with the time and budget they had remaining on Smash Bros 4, so they put out a Mii costume with the intent to fulfill the votes in the inevitable NX Smash game

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Everyone technically has a chance. The big problem is that the Mii costume's nature is inherently antithetical. It either means he was heavily considered and next in line, or it means that this was a compensation reward. In other words, I give it about a 50/50 but once you weigh Nintendo's thoughts on him or Rare in general, apparently, because I am personally beyond positive that Banjo and Kazooie outvoted Bayonetta as well, and I feel as though he is still not entirely realistic.

As always, I would love to be wrong.
But king k rool was definitely in the top 5 zone of the voting

And the king actually has more advantage than banjo

And it's simply the king is more relevant than banjo

The costume actually brought the king to relevances

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
In other words, I give it about a 50/50 but once you weigh Nintendo's thoughts on him or Rare in general, apparently, because I am personally beyond positive that Banjo and Kazooie outvoted Bayonetta as well, and I feel as though he is still not entirely realistic.
Has Nintendo ever expressed negative opinions about Rare?

culumon

Smash Apprentice
As a fairly recent konvert to the kause, and someone who's eagerly anticipating him for Smash Switch, I suppose I ought to explain where I've come from. I'm a big Donkey Kong fan, and I've always liked K. Rool, but I hadn't considered him a likely candidate for the two Smash games I've followed from announcement to release (Brawl and Sm4sh) because of that dreaded nine letter word - relevancy. I wanted him, sure, but I just never thought it'd ever happen until he was the villain of a main series Donkey Kong game again, so he never found his way into my "top characters you want in Smash" lists. When it comes to third party characters I don't mind backing longshots, 'cuz I think that's half the fun of third party characters, but with first parties I used to think Sakurai had a pattern, and that K. Rool fell outside of that pattern. I backed Diddy for Brawl because he was a no-brainer, and Dixie for Sm4sh because she's my favourite Kong and I thought Tropical Freeze meant she was a no-brainer too - though obviously I was wrong there. But it wasn't until the Fighter Ballot that I got really invested in K. Rool's inclusion, because the immensity of his popularity made it seem to me, for the first time since following the games' development cycles, that he actually had a shot. Fair's fair if you call that jumping on the bandwagon on my part, but I genuinely thought it was an impossibility until then. It was only when he was regularly bandied around as the frontrunner where it was like "damn, this cool villain who hasn't been seen in about a decade could make his triumphant return - in Smash, no less? That's rad as hell". What I thought impossible didn't seem impossible anymore, and I got excited for his inclusion... until, y'know. Mii Costume. Smash Broadcast. He was donezo.

Which brings us to now, and... call it naive on my part as a newer backer of the King, but I honestly think this is the best shot at inclusion he's ever had. His Mii costume means he's definitely on Sakurai's radar. We can only guess why he was excluded from the DLC, but it could be any number of reasons, and not all of them mean he can never be included in Smash as a whole. Trying to figure out Sakurai's mentality when it comes to adding characters is a fool's errand, especially since he changes his mind all the time (Villager, anyone?), but something that has gotten my hopes up is his comment on Geno when his Mii Fighter costume got revealed. The fact that Geno was under serious consideration from Sakurai for inclusion means that relevancy isn't the be-all and end-all that we thought it was. Even if K. Rool wasn't under consideration, a character from the same period of time with even less appearances in games was, which must count for something. We often think of "retro revival characters" as only coming from the NES era, but what constitutes a "retro" game isn't what it was when Melee came out. Ice Climbers were the retro revival of that game, and their home game was sixteen years old when Melee came out. Donkey Kong Country, by comparison, in 2018, is now twenty-four years old, and K. Rool's last role as a villain in a main series game was eighteen years ago. No doubt about it, he's retro. And that's gotta count for something regarding his appeal, in my eyes.

So yeah. I haven't been seriously backing him for nearly as long as a lot of you guys have, so I've only had the experience of being let down by his exclusion the once, with the Fighter Ballot. It might be because I'm new to this that I'm being naive about his chances, but I really think he might have a shot this time. Personally, I'm hoping for both him and Dixie, 'cuz I like both of them, and I reckon Donkey Kong is more than worthy of four reps. Maybe they could show up in the same reveal trailer...? That'd be the dream. If nothing else, the passion from his fanbase must have caught the attention of Nintendo to some extent. He'll be back in one form or another, whether it be a new Donkey Kong Country game or Smash. Time will tell. It always does.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will remind everybody

That geno was very very highly considered for smash bros Wii U and 3ds by the daddy himself including smash bros brawl as well

I think relevance is not a factor of being playable or not

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I will remind everybody

That geno was very very highly considered for smash bros Wii U and 3ds by the daddy himself including smash bros brawl as well

It's a factor, Sakurai confirmed this. However, it's not the only factor, I feel. It's why I feel more confident in Rool this time, they definitely know of his demand.

D

Deleted member

I will remind everybody

Show me a picture of the Sm4sh roster and point at Geno's slot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A Kool character indeed although I was supporting our Kroc and Savior before it was the Kool thing to do.

I am, of course a Kool Hipster.

D

Deleted member

If K. Rool or Kremlings return to the DK games, do you think this fan base could potentially eclipse even Mega Man's? In K. Rool's four major appearances, DK sold 23 million copies, not including spin-offs like Mario Super Sluggers. Compared that to Mega Man which sold around 30 million but only after having over 100 games and at least six subseries, none of which sold over two million. That already shows that Mega Man's appeal is niche in comparison to DK but managed to be as popular as he is because many of his games are highly acclaimed, resulting in a dedicated fan base. So we were witnessing a fan base at its absolute peak of support for Smash. K. Rool by comparison has a much broader appeal, he just hasn't shown up in forever. But I don't think K. Rool has reached his peak support capacity yet.

Remember that while he did great in the ballot, certainly enough to net us a Mii Costumes without a dissmissive statement, he also hasn't appeared in years and even Virtual Console re-releases mentioning K. Rool as the bad guy likely did not bring in many fans, especially since much of the Virtual Console hype was for the Wii. His fan base remains as large as it is because of his character that many did get to experience nearly twenty years ago if not earlier but that won't last forever. Come August, he'll be out of action for ten years. Because of this, the Smash fan base is divided on whenever or not he'll get in even with his ballot result. I think he's plausible but neither do I expect him. But then again, I felt the same way towards Mega Man prior to E3 2013 which made his reveal that much more amazing.

Which is important because if there's a DK announcement with King K. Rool or even Kremlings within the next few months, he immediately becomes the most expected newcomer even if he doesn't make the base roster. Expectation breeds hope and hope brings more support. Plus with the next DK game likely selling millions of copies, possibly 5+ million given that it would be released with a long leg and quite a few years before the next system, that will bring a new generation of King K. Rool fans that will carry the old guards' torch. If fans think we're loud now, wait until he truly comes back and everyone expects him. Then we'll know what it's like to deal with another pre-Brawl Diddy Kong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
If K. Rool or Kremlings return to the DK games, do you think this fan base could potentially eclipse even Mega Man's? In K. Rool's four major appearances, DK sold 23 million copies, not including spin-offs like Mario Super Sluggers. Compared that to Mega Man which sold around 30 million but only after having over 100 games and at least six subseries, none of which sold over two million. That already shows that Mega Man's appeal is niche in comparison to DK but managed to be as popular as he is because many of his games are highly acclaimed, resulting in a dedicated fan base. So we were witnessing a fan base at its absolute peak of support for Smash. K. Rool by comparison has a much broader appeal, he just hasn't shown up in forever.

If K. Rool or Kremlings return to the DK games, do you think this fan base could potentially eclipse even Mega Man's? In K. Rool's four major appearances, DK sold 23 million copies, not including spin-offs like Mario Super Sluggers. Compared that to Mega Man which sold around 30 million but only after having over 100 games and at least six subseries, none of which sold over two million. That already shows that Mega Man's appeal is niche in comparison to DK but managed to be as popular as he is because many of his games are highly acclaimed, resulting in a dedicated fan base. So we were witnessing a fan base at its absolute peak of support for Smash. K. Rool by comparison has a much broader appeal, he just hasn't shown up in forever. But I don't think K. Rool has reached his peak support capacity yet.

Remember that while he did great in the ballot, certainly enough to net us a Mii Costumes without a dissmissive statement, he also hasn't appeared in years and even Virtual Console re-releases mentioning K. Rool as the bad guy likely did not bring in many fans, especially since much of the Virtual Console hype was for the Wii. His fan base remains as large as it is because of his character that many did get to experience nearly twenty years ago if not earlier but that won't last forever. Come August, he'll be out of action for ten years. Because of this, the Smash fan base is divided on whenever or not he'll get in even with his ballot result. I think he's plausible but neither do I expect him. But then again, I felt the same way towards Mega Man prior to E3 2013 which made his reveal that much more amazing.

Which is important because if there's a DK announcement with King K. Rool or even Kremlings within the next few months, he immediately becomes the most expected newcomer even if he doesn't make the base roster. Expectation breeds hope and hope brings more support. Plus with the next DK game likely selling millions of copies, possibly 5+ million given that it would be released with a long leg and quite a few years before the next system, that will bring a new generation of King K. Rool fans that will carry the old guards' torch. If fans think we're loud now, wait until he truly comes back and everyone expects him. Then we'll know what it's like to deal with another pre-Brawl Diddy Kong.
DKC is a classic and K. Rool even appeared in a TV Show.

King K. Rool appearing in Smash Bros will be mind blowing in the best way possible, like the Megaman's reveal.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
To be honest, I feel like K. Rool (or Ridley) are the only possible first-party characters that can break every major gaming site. Now that Mega Man is in Smash, I feel like K. Rool's popularity is the highest it has ever been.

I've literally never seen such a huge amount of support for one character. We've been waiting for years and every iteration we don't get him, we continue getting louder and bigger.

I genuinely feel like this is it.

Our kongquest will be over soon.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah... kinda hard to think of any Nintendo characters that could capture headlines like K. Rool and Ridley. Inkling is already confirmed. There's got to be at least one mega-announcement waiting.

Just take a look at this video:

People absolutely lost their **** at Inkling (and a new Smash game). I am sure Nintendo is going to be looking for characters that can get reactions like that.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I would love to see the reactions a K.Rool or Ridley reveal get. I bet we’ll get something big at E3, so I’m trying not to hype myself up that it’ll be the Rool. It all is too perfect for them to announce him there. Even if Rids is in, Nintendo wouldn’t let the fans off the hook for that reveal so easily.

Remember all of the reaction videos from Mewtwo’s reveal? There’s another one it'll be interesting to see if they keep him based on the fan response.

I need my big three!

D

Deleted member

DKC is a classic and K. Rool even appeared in a TV Show.

King K. Rool appearing in Smash Bros will be mind blowing in the best way possible, like the Megaman's reveal.
He along with Ridley are two of the possible first-party megaton reveals at E3, all others are third-party. Nintendo is going to make Smash a big deal and we're not just getting middling characters everyone and their mom sees coming.

Even if K. Rool isn't in the base roster, I have a good feeling he'll make it in before the DLCs are finished.

StormC

Smash Hero
In hindsight it's kinda weird how cynical Mega Man's chances seemed back then. Maybe we overrate how much company politics affects this sort of thing.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I do like seeing so much positivity! King K Rool is DKs arch nemesis. He is that type of character that is demanded so much that its shocking, maybe even annoying to some. He is an original Nintendo villain and up there with Ridley in terms of popularity.

I feel different now than I did in the past. I now feel like if he does not make it in the base game, he won't make it in at all. He is too much of an original, classic, and even retro character to be DLC. It just doesn't seem fitting.

If Nintendo truly understands his place in our hearts and minds, he will come in the base game. If they didn't want anything to do with him and just put him in to get money, then he'll be DLC or simply not included at all.

I'd assume the same with Ridley. These characters come straight from Nintendo's history and are still owned by them. The thought of a big name character like Ridley being DLC just feels wrong.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Yes for two reasons

1. He got a mii costume in smash show it shows king k oil was not forgotten by Nintendo
  2. Clearly they saw the ballot and they saw k rool in the top 5 zone (fan polls scientifically proven that he's that high on the ballot) also by the fact they will probably acknowledging some of the top votes for this smash game (not all of them ofcoarse)
I think Sakurai knows a lot about fan request, much more than we give him credit for. The Geno, King K. Rool, and Lloyd costumes I'd wager only came from fan demand. I think he only found about King K. Rool's hype late into the development cycle, which is why he wasn't added.

D

Deleted member

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I wish daddy Sakurai implements the Blunderbuss into his moveset.

The thing with that, however, is that it may clash with KING K. Rool‘s appearance too much. Yeah, KAPTAIN K. Rool may come as an alt., But the Kharakter shown in Promo-artwork etc. will always be the King. Hence my scepticism.

Despite that, what kind of niche do you think can K.Rool fill?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

The thing with that, however, is that it may clash with KING K. Rool‘s appearance too much. Yeah, KAPTAIN K. Rool may come as an alt., But the Kharakter shown in Promo-artwork etc. will always be the King. Hence my scepticism.

Mario pulls his cape and fludd out of nowhere, and uses Fireballs in standard costume.

Dedede pulls Gordos out of nowhere.

Villager appears to have an alternate dimension he pulls random crap out of.

I don't think the blunderbuss clashing will be too much of a problem given all this, especially if it's just taken from hammerspace for specific moves. I do agree that I find it very unlikely he isn't based primarily off his main design though.

As a niche I'd make him a "heavy weapons specialist". This is the exact niche that Sakurai gave to Snake when he was playable, that's currently unfilled. Snake pulled rocket launchers and boxes out of nowhere too, now that we mention it...

Luigi player

Smash Master
I remembered the Kremlings in Smash4 3DS. It was really the perfect setup to have K. Rool playable as well (or at least as a Boss). But he was nowhere, except as a trophy, sadly. But seeing the Kremlings alone is proof that there is hope for the King. And then we even got the Mii costume, super likely because of him seeing all his votes in the Ballot (or even knowing about him previously as well.. I remember some old japanese polls where he was pretty highly voted too).
It's really possible that he makes it in. We can only hope Sakurai deems him wanted / important enough to put him in over some other new guys.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But king k rool was definitely in the top 5 zone of the voting

And the king actually has more advantage than banjo

And it's simply the king is more relevant than banjo

The costume actually brought the king to relevances
And with Smash Switch seemingly being build from Smash Wii U, the chances of them reusing assets is all the larger.

The ballot might actually NOT be a fraud... And it's blowing my mind.

Honestly, that alone could be King K.Rool's niche... He's obviously going to be a Super Heavy Weight, and most of those characters are purely power-based characters (:4bowser::4dk::4dedede:).

However, what could separate the King from them is that he could switch between being a pure Brawler :4miibrawl: with hints of being somewhat of a Gunner :4miigun:?

It would be a nice way to represent his K. Arakter of the two Boss Fights of DKC and DKC2. Cause DKC3 could easily be represented with just his Up B... Sry Baron. </3

Since they are being to damn expansive with their moveset for newcomers, I could see this as a huge selling point of King K.Rool. Whatever the hell his next appearance is gonna be.

SPEAKING OF! With the Mario x Rabbids game's DK DLC considered, and the nature of the game being a strategic shooter... It's HIGHELY LIKELY that IF K.Rool is gonna be present in that game, he'll use the Blunderbuss as his main weapon.

Damn, feels good to be speculating K.Rool's chances again with a grain of hope! :4diddy:

Last edited:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
We Need more Villians, and K. Rool is kinda the most consistent one for Donkey Kong, so I'd have to say he's in my top 10.

just here to post a comic i made and since there are so many new kutthroats also came to leave a link to our kutthroat discord server, everyone is welcome to our public server. https://discord.gg/jPUPPFZ this might be on of the last times this link is posted....dont want to spam the server link all the time.

anyways here is the comic
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...523248128/cmon_reggie_give_us_king_k_rool.png

and the ridley follow up comic
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...03095302340618/cmon_reggie_give_us_ridley.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Years ago, I made this post detailing King K. Rool's situation. Of course it is outdated but hopefully still worth it if only for encouragement.

Also, BKupa's argument section was by far my favorite to read. I wish I had emulated that more in my Mega Man for Smash 3DS & Wii U thread (which granted was great).

I can't believe that it was that long ago and it still feels fresh in my memory.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
How would you guys prefer K. Rool's role in the next DK?

Would you want him to exclusively be a King persona, as to re introduce the character to casual audiences and feature him only as the big bad at the end(Like DK games of the past)?

Or would you rather the developers go all out with K Rool and give him multiple unique personas and fights to fit world themes? For example, a beach/water world would bring a fight with Kaptain K Rool, maybe a desert world could bring a Kowboy K Rool, a mountainous/sky based world could hold the legendary Aviator K Rool, etc, etc, with a huge fight with KING K Rool at the finale.

Personally I'd like it if they got a little creative- not enough to sort-of "cheapen" K Rool by making him the only boss character you fight in the game, but maybe at major checkpoints across the adventure (Like 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 through the game, think Bowser's role in Mario Galaxy 1 but with new personas and attacks), with a proper fight with the King for the final boss.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Finally remembered my smash boards password. Time to get blueballs with Ridley, k rool, and Geno again. Is it 2007??

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd rather keep things simple for K. Rool's return. King persona with an endgame boss fight and then again as the secret final boss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How would you guys prefer K. Rool's role in the next DK?

Would you want him to exclusively be a King persona, as to re introduce the character to casual audiences and feature him only as the big bad at the end(Like DK games of the past)?

Or would you rather the developers go all out with K Rool and give him multiple unique personas and fights to fit world themes? For example, a beach/water world would bring a fight with Kaptain K Rool, maybe a desert world could bring a Kowboy K Rool, a mountainous/sky based world could hold the legendary Aviator K Rool, etc, etc, with a huge fight with KING K Rool at the finale.

Personally I'd like it if they got a little creative- not enough to sort-of "cheapen" K Rool by making him the only boss character you fight in the game, but maybe at major checkpoints across the adventure (Like 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 through the game, think Bowser's role in Mario Galaxy 1 but with new personas and attacks), with a proper fight with the King for the final boss.
Great topic!

I already adressed that I sort-of expect King K.Rool to be a boss of the Donkey Kong DLC campain of Mario x Rabbids. In that boss battle, he would probably use the Blunderbuss as it's a shooting game by genre. I expect that to be his first actual return. As the DLC will probably, with a 98% certainity release before a next major DKC game that isn't Tropical Freeze.

Am sharing the sentiments greatly that King K.Rool's first return should be as the King-version of his K. Arakter. In fact, DK64 choose to do the exact same thing, and it was the only other mainstream Donkey Kong game appearance of the Kremling King after the Rare buy-out. All the PAON titles; DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber and DK Barrel Blast used the King persona as well.

Without doubt, they willl only make him return as the most marketable version of him; King K.Rool.

He should definitely have his roles changes up down the line, sure Kowboy K.Rool, or Knight K.Rool, or whichever persona would also be very welcomed. But first lets just have the King persona. And let him be one tough boss to beat as well, just like in the DKC games prior. I don't want no cake walk battle against him. He should be BRUTAL to beat.

Fighting K.Rool 3 times throughout the game has my favor as well honestly. Good thought.

We need more contributive posts like these here. Am liking it so far. :4diddy:

D

Deleted member

I also a K. Rool in Mario Rabbids could happen. If the DLC occurs, it will obliterate any argument left against K. Rool since it'll mean that he has made a major appearance.

Of course people will claim that "it's just a spin-off!" or "It's DLC!" to downplay what will be his return but any sane man would know that this would immediately make him the most likely character for this game be it base roster or DLC.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I also a K. Rool in Mario Rabbids could happen. If the DLC occurs, it will obliterate any argument left against K. Rool since it'll mean that he has made a major appearance.

Of course people will claim that "it's just a spin-off!" or "It's DLC!" to downplay what will be his return but any sane man would know that this would immediately make him the most likely character for this game be it base roster or DLC.
I mean I'm a supporter, but saying it's just a spinoff is a pretty legit argument. So far, to my knowledge, spinoff games haven't gotten a whole lot of attention in Smash. The only example of a playable character in Smash that I can think of is Doc.

Top Bottom