• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Guys; let's not talk anymore about that silly poll anymore, please. Just ignore it. In the end, it means nothing. Moving on to something else, I had a question for my fellow Kutthroats; Do you expect some sort of confirmation of upcoming characters on Friday/the weekend? Or do you expect we'll see some sort of message from the ballot closing and have to base it off of that?
I'm not really sure what to expect at this point. I mean, this update dropped with most stuff not being announced beforehand, which was sort of unexpected, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai/Nintendo made an announcement about the ballot closing in the next week or said very little about it between now and November.

My hope is that we get some kind of announcement soon after the ballot closes. I'm not sure if a rundown of ballot results is super likely, but something giving us an idea of when the ballot fighters will be released (or at least when the first one will be released) akin to what Nintendo did with the Mario Kart 8 DLC would be nice. Props for the Kaptain Karen avatar by the way.

To go back to K. Rool talk, this update honestly makes me feel like the mii costume probably doesn't mean a whole lot for his chances. Could it have been made partly in response to ballot votes? Sure, it could have, but if so, I think it's a bit odd that the past two updates didn't include more mii costumes seemingly based off of ballot results.

While Toad, Viridi, Chrom, and Lloyd definitely have varying degrees of fan support, I think their having mii costumes is perfectly consistent with them being planned as pre-ballot DLC a while back. With the exception of Lloyd, each is prominent in a franchise already represented in Smash, so I doubt Sakurai and co. would need to have looked at ballot results to know that their mii costumes would sell. I guess I just don't think there's a ton of evidence either way when it comes to why the K. Rool mii costume exists, especially after the last update, so I don't see much of a reason to conclude that it necessarily was a "consolation prize."

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I'm expecting something when the ballot closes on the 3rd. Like an announcement of when a Direct/ or Smash presentation will be.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
There is gonna be AT LEAST a tweet from someone (Nintendo or Sakurai himself) saying "The Smash Ballot is now closed, that you for voting!".
Anything less would drive me into foamy rage.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm not really sure what to expect at this point. I mean, this update dropped with most stuff not being announced beforehand, which was sort of unexpected, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai/Nintendo made an announcement about the ballot closing in the next week or said very little about it between now and November.

My hope is that we get some kind of announcement soon after the ballot closes. I'm not sure if a rundown of ballot results is super likely, but something giving us an idea of when the ballot fighters will be released (or at least when the first one will be released) akin to what Nintendo did with the Mario Kart 8 DLC would be nice. Props for the Kaptain Karen avatar by the way.

To go back to K. Rool talk, this update honestly makes me feel like the mii costume probably doesn't mean a whole lot for his chances. Could it have been made partly in response to ballot votes? Sure, it could have, but if so, I think it's a bit odd that the past two updates didn't include more mii costumes seemingly based off of ballot results.

While Toad, Viridi, Chrom, and Lloyd definitely have varying degrees of fan support, I think their having mii costumes is perfectly consistent with them being planned as pre-ballot DLC a while back. With the exception of Lloyd, each is prominent in a franchise already represented in Smash, so I doubt Sakurai and co. would need to have looked at ballot results to know that their mii costumes would sell. I guess I just don't think there's a ton of evidence either way when it comes to why the K. Rool mii costume exists, especially after the last update, so I don't see much of a reason to conclude that it necessarily was a "consolation prize."
One thing that occurred to me from reading GameFAQs is that a lot of the new DLC costumes are adding costume options for series that had few or no options in the main game. Not that I've memorized all the costumes, but to my knowledge, there were no DK costumes, no FE costumes, no KI costumes, no Star Fox costumes, no F-Zero costumes.

It might not be the case, but it seems as though they're basically filling in the gaps where they can to get a better variety of series represented via costumes, even with third parties. This naturally applies to DK, a series almost universally seen as snubbed, and K. Rool is the only noteworthy character who's not a hunched-over ape being fitted to a standing bipedal Mii.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
One thing that occurred to me from reading GameFAQs is that a lot of the new DLC costumes are adding costume options for series that had few or no options in the main game. Not that I've memorized all the costumes, but to my knowledge, there were no DK costumes, no FE costumes, no KI costumes, no Star Fox costumes, no F-Zero costumes.

It might not be the case, but it seems as though they're basically filling in the gaps where they can to get a better variety of series represented via costumes, even with third parties. This naturally applies to DK, a series almost universally seen as snubbed, and K. Rool is the only noteworthy character who's not a hunched-over ape being fitted to a standing bipedal Mii.
I think Funky Kong could have made a good Mii outfit, he tends to be more upright than other Kongs.

I realize Candy Kong is perfectly human proportioned but I'd rather not go there for obvious reasons.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer a tropical Freeze stage :p
Realtalk? Sakurai could make a good stage out of practically any level. Punch Bowl with Bashmaster stage boss? Scorch n Torch with collapsing platforms? Horn Top Hop with...horns? Amiss Abyss silhouettey eye candy? Shipwreck Shore with occasional Snowmads coming in and crashing the party? SEASHORE WAR PURE UNADULTERATED PERFECTION?!? The possibilities are near endless.

Edit dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 down below so I don't saturate the thread too much: I bloody adore Big Top Bop (the stage, song [#1 DKC tune for me], and concept), but Bashmaster was the best fight in the whole game. Also, Lost Mangroves is my favorite world, so I tried to limit myself to only one theoretical stage per world so the list wouldn't devolve into "BUSTED BAYOU / BIG TOP BOP / ZIP LINE SHRINE / MANGROVE COVE and-...wait, there were other worlds?"

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Realtalk? Sakurai could make a good stage out of practically any level. Punch Bowl with Bashmaster stage boss? Scorch n Torch with collapsing platforms? Horn Top Hop with...horns? Amiss Abyss silhouettey eye candy? Shipwreck Shore with occasional Snowmads coming in and crashing the party? SEASHORE WAR PURE UNADULTERATED PERFECTION?!? The possibilities are near endless.
If we get a Tropical Freeze stage, or any new DK stage, I would like Big Top Bop (first boss theme) and/or Scorch n' Torch. Those are one of my two favorite tracks alongside Mangrove Cove Underwater.

I think Big Top Bop would pair nicely with a K. Rool centric stage, both being based on DK bosses.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Random Though.

Since Fox's Mii Costume is different from the character in the game playable, IF K. Rool makes it, would he look different like in that case?

Because to me, seems like it...

Fox's Mii Costume:

Fox in SM4SH:

K. Rool's Mii Costume:

K Rool in SM4SH: ???

Ps: Captain Falcon and Samus costumes look similar to their playable counterpars while the two above are different...

:?:.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Makes me wonder if there will be something unique about the way K. Rool is re-imagined for smash. Not to Kid Icarus or Melee/Brawl Bowser/Yoshi levels of different, but something to show that K. Rool is back and he's new and improved.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Random Though.

Since Fox's Mii Costume is different from the character in the game playable, IF K. Rool makes it, would he look different like in that case?

Fox's Mii Costume:

Fox in SM4SH:

K. Rool's Mii Costume:

Ps: Captain Falcon and Samus costumes look similar to their playable counterpars while the two above are different...

It's a noteworthy observation. All the other human mii costumes are displayed as caricatures of their respective character, where both Fox and K. Rool are obviously suits with funny hats and normal Mii faces. Unlike all the other characters who match their respective character down to a T. Fox uses his 64 look on his Mii Costume. Who knows if this is also the case with the K. Rool costume. There's a chance we might see Kaptain K. Rool as playable with this Mii outfit being for "fans of the first persona" if Sakurai felt his DKC2 incarnation was the best pick for a Smash moveset, and maybe he just wanted a cool pirate character and Kaptain fits the bill?

We can't be too sure at this point. But it's very interesting to point out the similarities of the K. Ostume and the Fox mii outfit.

Makes me wonder if there will be something unique about the way K. Rool is re-imagined for smash. Not to Kid Icarus or Melee/Brawl Bowser/Yoshi levels of different, but something to show that K. Rool is back and he's new and improved.
It could possibly be that a brand new iteration of K. Rool is in development for a future, hypothetical DKCR3 game. All Sakurai would need is god concept art to work from. It might be far'fetched, but an exciting prospect none the less.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's a noteworthy observation. All the other human mii costumes are displayed as caricatures of their respective character, where both Fox and K. Rool are obviously suits with funny hats and normal Mii faces. Unlike all the other characters who match their respective character down to a T. Fox uses his 64 look on his Mii Costume. Who knows if this is also the case with the K. Rool costume. There's a chance we might see Kaptain K. Rool as playable with this Mii outfit being for "fans of the first persona" if Sakurai felt his DKC2 incarnation was the best pick for a Smash moveset, and maybe he just wanted a cool pirate character and Kaptain fits the bill?

We can't be too sure at this point. But it's very interesting to point out the similarities of the K. Ostume and the Fox mii outfit.
For some reason, it would feel strange to me if his pirate incarnation was playable; I would personally favor his King persona. It could incorporate stuff from his pirate incarnation, though (such as his iconic blunderbuss). :p

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
For some reason, it would feel strange to me if his pirate incarnation was playable; I would personally favor his King persona. :p
Sakurai likes to work with themes for characters, like Rosalina being a puppet master and Duck Hunt being an amalgamation of various old NES shooter games. Maybe he looked at DKC1 and DKC2 and decided that DKC2 has much more material to work with, combined with a few references to DKC1 and potentially DKC3, and decided to base the moveset around a "Dread Pirate" character using Kaptain K. Rool as a source of that.

It might not be King K. Rool but it's still K. Rool. I would honestly prefer the Kaptain persona but recognize that it most likely will be added as an alternate costume if it's in at all.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
For some reason, it would feel strange to me if his pirate incarnation was playable; I would personally favor his King persona. It could incorporate stuff from his pirate incarnation, though (such as his iconic blunderbuss). :p
I'd rather his pirate look be an alt. costume with his king one being his default.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Random Though.

Fox's Mii Costume:

Fox in SM4SH:

K. Rool's Mii Costume:

If K. Rool makes it I think he'll be based on whatever design Retro has planned for him in the future. Maybe, though, it'll be an combination of K. Rool's various designs, such as having the blunderbuss and helipack.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
If K. Rool makes it I think he'll be based on whatever design Retro has planned for him in the future. Maybe, though, it'll be an combination of K. Rool's various designs, such as having the blunderbuss and helipack.
Don't forget his awesome Rare design with the tail! :p (or at least some sort of hybrid like they did with the costume. Everything except the gem color is Rare inspired).

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
It's been a day past since I last posted any songs from DKCTV, but here's one that I found very cute. Does anyone remember the days of their youth as we joyfully watched the first fight between DK and K. Rool? Does anyone remember when the kroc tried to blow an entire island? We all do, and we've been sharing other fond memories of the Kremling King. Imagine years from now, when King K. Rool is once again a staple in Nintendo games. King K. Rool will live on to our children, teaching them ways of how to be mean, green, scaly sheens (If that's the wrong lyric, feel free to correct me.). If there's anything to adore, it's the dream that one day, King K. Rool will be able to touch the hearts of our own wittle evil ones.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't forget his awesome Rare design with the tail! :p (or at least some sort of hybrid like they did with the costume. Everything except the gem color is Rare inspired).
Again, two thoughts:

1.) Retro's new design. HOPEFULLY designed mostly on Rare, but I can see them tweaking the design somewhat.

2.) Rare design, but using elements from different personas.

I do NOT think they'll go strictly with the Paon mode.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I think Funky Kong could have made a good Mii outfit, he tends to be more upright than other Kongs.

I realize Candy Kong is perfectly human proportioned but I'd rather not go there for obvious reasons.
Nah, Chunky Kong is perfect! (seriously though, he'd work, I'm a Chunky fan :( )

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Either a NEW design or a ROY-FICATION in SM4SH seems like what could be fitting for K. Rool. Kind of like what that Smashified artist did, but slightly more Rare-era looking.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's been a day past since I last posted any songs from DKCTV, but here's one that I found very cute. Does anyone remember the days of their youth as we joyfully watched the first fight between DK and K. Rool? Does anyone remember when the kroc tried to blow an entire island? We all do, and we've been sharing other fond memories of the Kremling King. Imagine years from now, when King K. Rool is once again a staple in Nintendo games. King K. Rool will live on to our children, teaching them ways of how to be mean, green, scaly sheens (If that's the wrong lyric, feel free to correct me.). If there's anything to adore, it's the dream that one day, King K. Rool will be able to touch the hearts of our own wittle evil ones.

Because nothing says evil dictator like giving up the ultimate power for a baby.

After we annotated that episode, we NEVER let K. Rool live that down for the rest of the series.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If Retro Studios is working on a new design for K. Rool then I've got a feeling that it will pay more tribute to the Rare look along with some modified realistic improvements. I can just imagine him with dark green skin and his really thick scales showing in great detail. him sort of being cloaked in darkness (not a silhouette but just a lighting) with his blood shot eye showing along with his golden belly and him giving an evil grin would make me hype ever. Then the rest of his kremling henchmen show up after looking just as mean and some maybe scary looking than ever like him.

Last edited:
Alright. Final stretch time. May not make my deadline because it's been a little chaotic at home (things come up as they typically do...)

A'right. I'm out.
As some of us down under would say, fair dinkum that is grouse!

Looks absolutely fantastic, great job!

Realtalk? Sakurai could make a good stage out of practically any level.
It's a shame with what we've got with the jungle DK levels in Smash, there is SO much potential in terms of new stages that the DKC trilogy has, and DKCR, TF as well.

Some of you may not be aware of this but Club Nintendo Australia closed yesterday night, I had a few spare codes so I gave them away to people on our local Facebook gaming groups with the provision that they vote for K. Rool in the Smash Ballot. I wrote up 5 separate entries as to the reason why he should be in, it was just a matter of copying and pasting and clicking a few buttons Ended up getting 5 more votes, which may not mean much considering the ballot closes in a few days, but won't hurt nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

Is it me or does King K. Rool in this show sound like count Dracula from the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall? lol

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
As some of us down under would say that is grouse!

It's a shame with what we've got with the DK levels in Smash, there is SO much potential in terms of new stages the DKC trilogy has, and DKCR, TF as well.
If I were the game director I'd put in every DK level that I think(and know) would make a great stage as possible, as well as the epic music from all of them. I'd do the same for Metroid and Wario too.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
As some of us down under would say, fair dinkum that is grouse!

It's a shame with what we've got with the jungle DK levels in Smash, there is SO much potential in terms of new stages that the DKC trilogy has, and DKCR, TF as well.

Some of you may not be aware of this but Club Nintendo Australia closed yesterday night, I had a few spare codes so I gave them away to people on our local Facebook gaming groups with the provision that they vote for K. Rool in the Smash Ballot. I wrote up 5 separate entries as to the reason why he should be in, it was just a matter of copying and pasting and clicking a few buttons Ended up getting 5 more votes, which may not mean much considering the ballot closes in a few days, but won't hurt nonetheless.
Dude voting stopped mattering months ago lol

They probably started working on the characters in the first few weeks. The reason the ballot is 5 months long is probably to give them development time without people expecting content within that period.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

They probably started working on the characters in the first few weeks. The reason the ballot is 5 months long is probably to give them development time without people expecting content within that period.
I hope that theory is true.

Like I said in the same post, I'm aware that the ballot votes may not mean much now, but who knows with Nintendo? They've done things differently and raised eyebrows, for better or for worse before in terms of implementing and doing things which may seem simple and straightforward.. It wouldn't surprise me to see them announce after the ballot "Thank you for your suggestions we will now count the votes and take your requests into consideration" or something like that.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Like I said in the same post, I'm aware that the ballot votes may not mean much now, but who knows with Nintendo? They've done things differently and raised eyebrows, for better or for worse before in terms of implementing and doing things which may seem simple and straightforward.. It wouldn't surprise me to see them announce after the ballot "Thank you for your suggestions we will now count the votes and take your requests into consideration" or something like that.
It's not a coincidence that the ballot is as long as it takes to develop DLC.

The front runners would have been clear early on. There's no way they haven't started yet, because then it would be a year until we got anything. It doesn't make sense to have the DLC team off work for 5 months then call them back later. It makes much more sense to keep them together a few more months to do DLC, then let them move onto other projects. He even said 'I can't keep the team together forever'.

I do think people are too optimistic about the amount of newcomers though. Personally I think we'll just get two newcomers plus some vets.

petrichorcandle

Smash Cadet
Just the fact that we had what could be considered a reasonably large DLC update yesterday makes me think we'll have to wait another couple of months before any new characters, I'm worried that the mario maker and zelda stages were Sakurai's way of hinting that we're still quite a while away from getting any ballet content.

Just the fact that we had what could be considered a reasonably large DLC update yesterday makes me think we'll have to wait another couple of months before any new characters, I'm worried that the mario maker and zelda stages were Sakurai's way of hinting that we're still quite a while away from getting any ballet content.
Although the timing of today's DLC makes it a simple stopgap, I don't think it's meant to say that we're only half way there. Personally, I think the announcement of a new character will be imminent after the ballot officially closes. It could be as little as a month afterward that it becomes available. This is based on nothing besides my suspicion that work began as soon as Ryu and co. were released, and they would be finished around now.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No one is doing the Majora's Mask thing now that we are just three days away? :p

Just pretend it's 5 hours ago. ...It's DONE!
Incredible work. I wish I could give more than just likes and compliments, ha ha. Loving the detail you put into it from all of his appearances. :)

:231:

D

Deleted member

Just pretend it's 5 hours ago. ...It's DONE!
It's wonderful, even though there are much more than One million words in the English language, i can't describe how beautiful this is with any of them.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
bellboy64 bellboy64 - An amazing tribute made to the great King K. Rool! Awesome work! Should we win this ballot, I see this being the banner of our victory! Amazing to see the completed work! You've worked hard, fellow Kutthroat!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Although the timing of today's DLC makes it a simple stopgap, I don't think it's meant to say that we're only half way there. Personally, I think the announcement of a new character will be imminent after the ballot officially closes. It could be as little as a month afterward that it becomes available. This is based on nothing besides my suspicion that work began as soon as Ryu and co. were released, and they would be finished around now.
I actually disagree, I don't think they'd be done around now but probably a month from now or so. If they started as soon as Roy and Co. were released, for a brand new character it'd probably be about 4-5 months. Wolf would maybe only take 2-3, for example, but Wolf would be an awful character to announce/release first. He might be done, but they'll wait to announce the next character first.

The main way a new character could've been released around the time the ballot finished was if they started said character no more than a month after it was announced. That said, I think we could EASILY get the next character announced this month and released in November (likely around the Smash Wii U anniversary) to try and sell more copies of Smash for the Holdiay season. They'd need a really big character to do it, though. King K. Rool would be the prime candidate alongside potentially Wolf.

I think we'll get a new character announced in early-to-mid October and released in early November, if not on the one-year anniversary of Smash Wii U.

petrichorcandle

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah I just realised the anniversary for smash 3ds in most places is october 3rd/4th. Okay well that makes me a little more optimistic we'll have some news then.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
No one is doing the Majora's Mask thing now that we are just three days away? :p

Incredible work. I wish I could give more than just likes and compliments, ha ha. Loving the detail you put into it from all of his appearances. :)

:231:
Hey. Doesn't hurt... ;)

Anyway, folks. My image is done at last. You can do whatever you like with it: Download it, share it, whatever. Anything.

And as soon as the thing is processed I'll link to my Redbubble work where I posted this.
You can buy posters and prints and stuff there. (I've left the prices at default* so if they're too steep for you and I'm feeling saucy I might do something. ...I think I might make a sandwich.)

*Joking aside I've never really sold my work before so I don't know my head from my foot. Figured this would be safest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom