• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's a highly popular character getting shoved into an undesirable role. It's not terribly different, and placing him alongside Chrom, who's already ****ed does not augur well. I don't buy the idea that it being his Rare design means anything. For as much as we know, it could be because they wanted to go the extra mile for the fans with the costume, failing to realize that the majority would never accept it to begin with. Remember, it's all "fanservice" now. That could be an example of that.

As for Sakurai not caring about DK, I think that's debatable. While I think his management of the series is pretty poor, I give credit where credit is due. Diddy's moveset is quite good, DK now has his famous roll attack, and both primate's ducking animations are lifted right from DKC1. I think the only franchise Sakurai truly does dislike/not care about is Wario Land.
I guess my real question is, if not him then who? Some backwater character that Sakurai likes?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have to say it would be unwise for Sakurai to make King K Rool be just a costume. The backlash would be immense, and who would fill his place? Isaac? I'm sorry but no, this thing has gotten too big for that.
It would be unwise, but let's not pretend there would be any significant backlash. Nothing roster-related generates widespread, lasting backlash with this fanbase anymore because of how obsessed it is with gameplay above all else, as well as the Sakurai fandom that doubles as an anti-criticism league. No matter who becomes DLC, all complaints will be met with "be thankful you're getting DLC at all," as if it's a gift bestowed upon us instead of a money-making venture.

Our best bet if K. Rool gets snubbed is to turn our attention toward future DK games...Retro, at least, is highly receptive to fan feedback.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I guess my real question is, if not him then who? Some backwater character that Sakurai likes?
Possibly. Could be Gato or Brash the Bear as far as we know. The point is, no matter who it is, I can almost guarantee that no matter how absurd, any complaints about them will be drowned out by hype for there being a new character.

Plus, as unfortunate as it is, we're a minority in this fanbase. Not to say K. Rool doesn't have a comparatively large base of supporters, but we're a drop in the Smash Bros. bucket over all. Voicing our displeasure when we see him not make it won't generate a sufficient amount of animosity to affect things on the whole. Look at all the people who want Melee's physics back. Or those who think Ganondorf or Wario should have new moves. The only time I can think of anything that was ever rectified by negative reception was tripping, and that was because literally no one of any skill level liked it.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
WelP
.. that changed my whole thoughts on this fast...d

Didnt she have a few games on GBC?

Well Inklings and Wolf no doubt..but im.unsure who the 3rd character is gonna be now.

And yes i think we are gonna get 3 characters like last time.

Hmmm... i wanna say paper mario or dixie kong.

I really think if it came to Dixie or K.Rool sakurai would choose Dixie...
I dont hate Dixie but it would just really be a lazy and sad...decision
I honestly hope that the Inklings are held off until Smash 5. I feel like they need some time (And maybe even a sequel on the NX) to be properly fleshed out. They could have really cool moves and unique mechanics to play with that I feel may not be properly implemented if they're rushed out for DLC.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I bought Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest today.

For kontext, beforehand I had only played Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy Color (not Land), Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Today I started the one of the klassic Donkey Kong Country games that's held to the highest esteem.

It'll be an interesting journey, konsidering I absolutely adored Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but it's important to play the klassics as well.

Also by reaching the final encounter with K. Rool I can finally be on equal ground with you all here and give a proper moveset when I beat the game.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool's position is like a theory.
We can neither say he's disconfirmed nor still in the run until one of these possibilities is proven right or wrong.
But we won't know what's the truth until we hear something from Sakurai.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I don't think the backlash matters that much. Look at the whole Ridley situation. There's no denying it was handled rather poorly, yet at the end of the day, it didn't really change anything.
Well I'm still a bit salty about that!

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I don't think characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae are as impossible as people say. "Fighting with a shovel" could easily press Sakurai's unique button.

As for K. Rool's chances, I'm still on the it's over train. I've already explained why, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is just trying not to be disappointed again.
Sakurai isn't going to add Shovel Knight so don't even worry. Is Sakurai really going to screw over all of the Japanese fans who are at least expecting a character they have heard of.

Shovel Knight is as likely as Jibanyan. If you ask any westerner if Jibanyan has a chance most will say they haven't heard of him, and I'm sure the same can be said for Shovel Knight in Japan.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sakurai isn't going to add Shovel Knight so don't even worry. Is Sakurai really going to screw over all of the Japanese fans who are at least expecting a character they have heard of.

Shovel Knight is as likely as Jibanyan. If you ask any westerner if Jibanyan has a chance most will say they haven't heard of him, and I'm sure the same can be said for Shovel Knight in Japan.
But Jibanyan is da best. It also helps that Jibanyan is super ****ing popular in Japan. Like 90s Pokemon level popular. And also the fact that the games are made by a Japanese company. Basically being Japanese helps you get into Smash.

Pakky

Smash Hero
No matter who becomes DLC, all complaints will be met with "be thankful you're getting DLC at all," as if it's a gift bestowed upon us instead of a money-making venture.

Our best bet if K. Rool gets snubbed is to turn our attention toward future DK games...Retro, at least, is highly receptive to fan feedback.
Now if anything is cancerous in the smash community it's this. It so immature to bash people for something that they're not even getting for free. Those kind of people are the worst. Along with the ignorance, I have heard horror stories by people on this site who think Mewtwo just popped out of the blue and his development began when it was announced, pathetic.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think he's just pointing out that there are many who'll kiss the ground Sakurai walks on and thinks everything he does is wonderful.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
But Jibanyan is da best. It also helps that Jibanyan is super ****ing popular in Japan. Like 90s Pokemon level popular. And also the fact that the games are made by a Japanese company. Basically being Japanese helps you get into Smash.
As far as I'm concerned there both on the same level.

Both have never released a game outside of their region
Both are only popular in their home country
Both third-party
Both only have one game under there belt
Both lack familiarity outside of their country
Both haven't been around long
Both would upset fans outside of that country
Both wouldn't sell well outside of their country
Both aren't gaming icons
Both plan to release games in other countries soon

I really hope we get a direct soon I'm not sure how much longer I can wait to find out K. Rools fate.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
As far as I'm concerned there both on the same level.

Both have never released a game outside of their region
Both are only popular in their home country
Both third-party
Both only have one game under there belt
Both lack familiarity outside of their country
Both haven't been around long
Both would upset fans outside of that country
Both wouldn't sell well outside of their country
Both aren't gaming icons
Yokai Watch has an actual release time in America, Shovel Knight doesn't have any time frame for a release in Japan.
True.
True.
Yokai Watch has 2 games...
True.
True.
Assumptions.
Assumptions.
True.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think he's just pointing out that there are many who'll kiss the ground Sakurai walks on and thinks everything he does is wonderful.
Which indeed is the bad part of the community. The part that needs to be cut out and discarded.

StormC

Smash Hero
We can neither say he's disconfirmed nor still in the run until one of these possibilities is proven right or wrong.
Schrodinger's K. Rool.

Morbi

Scavenger
I disagree personally, I believe that we can assert that he is still in the run as the only thing that precludes him from the run is confirmation that he is not in the run.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
No matter who becomes DLC, all complaints will be met with "be thankful you're getting DLC at all," as if it's a gift bestowed upon us instead of a money-making venture.
This is what picks at me the most. These people telling anyone who complains to be thankful we got something. They did this to any DK fan that called out Sakurai for his bias back when the roster got leaked, claiming we got a newcomer for the last game and DK was fine with two reps. Sorry your D-lister still lacks any representation in Smash, but DK has pushed consoles and carved a name for itself in video game history. When the series 'returned', it outsold a Zelda title.

These fools know nothing about what they spew, they only hang on to what Sakurai says and thinks and won't admit to it. Honestly, I want the ballot to be a farce and every requested face gets reduced to a costume, simply so they all can taste the salt we've had to lick for how long now? Thirteen years?

As someone who spent his hard-earned money on Sakurai's content-packed game, I feel I'm entitled to complain about the product I bought, and especially the content intended to extend its lifespan. I'm also entitled to the best, being someone who is interested in your product and I feel your effort was lackluster this time around, so I'll make mention of it rather than keep shut on the matter and accept mediocrity and the point is, DK's overall representation is mediocre and any DK fan should see that.

Funny enough, some people claim they're DK fans and see no problem with what the series currently has. Some even think the K. Rool costume is the best they could hope for and are content with it. Honestly, at this point, Sakurai can do whatever he wants. I don't care enough to keep my eye on Smash anymore. Hope the next DK game has K. Rool back as the villain.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I disagree personally, I believe that we can assert that he is still in the run as the only thing that precludes him from the run is confirmation that he is not in the run.
Well, I was mostly referring to the odd timing of the Mii costume, so yes and no.

Yes, we can assume he's still in the run, since the costume is no fact that he's out.
But no, we are not Sakurai, so we can't say anything for sure until it's confirmed by him or Nintendo.

I personally don't think he's out, but that being said, Sakurai might see it differently.

Well, I'm honest with you guys, I'm very pessimistic...
I can understand that Sakurai gets sad about bad fan reactions, but he himself is responsible for the bad reactions.
That what he did with the things in Smash 4 are great, he is good programmer, no question, but the problem are the things he chose to do.
The decisions he made.

Choosing random avatar characters.
Making clones that are worse than the Melee clones.
Adding game breaking equipment.
Making Classic Mode everything but classic.
Taking out Target Smash, replacing it with Angry-Birds-But-Worse.
Smash Tour.
No Adventure Mode in any form.
Making Smash Run version exclusive.
Clear bias in multiple cases.
(And a lot more.)

This all just made me very pessimistic about him. Why should he make better decisions all of sudden?
Why should I assume that he suddenly not chooses a character he likes from the upper corner of the ballot, ignoring characters like K. Rool? because Nintendo could tell him to? Well, yes, but at this point, I don't think they care enough to to it.

I believe I hate this Smash. I don't really have fun playing it.
If there aren't a ton of really great characters coming our way, I probably will give up on this Smash installment.
I... I just lost a lot of hope.

This is what picks at me the most. These people telling anyone who complains to be thankful we got something. They did this to any DK fan that called out Sakurai for his bias back when the roster got leaked, claiming we got a newcomer for the last game and DK was fine with two reps. Sorry your D-lister still lacks any representation in Smash, but DK has pushed consoles and carved a name for itself in video game history. When the series 'returned', it outsold a Zelda title.

These fools know nothing about what they spew, they only hang on to what Sakurai says and thinks and won't admit to it. Honestly, I want the ballot to be a farce and every requested face gets reduced to a costume, simply so they all can taste the salt we've had to lick for how long now? Thirteen years?

As someone who spent his hard-earned money on Sakurai's content-packed game, I feel I'm entitled to complain about the product I bought, and especially the content intended to extend its lifespan. I'm also entitled to the best, being someone who is interested in your product and I feel your effort was lackluster this time around, so I'll make mention of it rather than keep shut on the matter and accept mediocrity and the point is, DK's overall representation is mediocre and any DK fan should see that.

Funny enough, some people claim they're DK fans and see no problem with what the series currently has. Some even think the K. Rool costume is the best they could hope for and are content with it. Honestly, at this point, Sakurai can do whatever he wants. I don't care enough to keep my eye on Smash anymore. Hope the next DK game has K. Rool back as the villain.
Also, this.
I sadly agree to 100%.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The main problem is there are people who like something enough that they ignore the fact that when you put something for sale it deserves any and all criticism. Hell, even Early Access games and Ubisoft fixing their servers was meant with 'be grateful' or 'don't judge it'

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think this is somewhat relevant...?
(Credit from KYM)
Anyways, a little short story from yesterday when I went to the Sydney Manga Anime Show (SMASH) to participate in the Smash Bros Tournament again (like I did last year as Ganondorf), this time playing as Donkey Kong in Smash 4 Wii U - bearing the name tag 'K.Rool4DLC'

Ended up coming 2nd place in the first match (but I didn't continue in the tourney), which is pretty impressive given that I was DK and I was playing against a Roy main in a Free-For-All. It was a fun match and we shook hands afterwards. It was a lot of fun, got a few prints including the Inkling Girl and Banjo-Kazooie, Sardonyx and Flandre Scarlet, saw some cool cosplays like Goemon from Ganbare Goemon, The BLU Spy and Alphonse Elric...

But rest assured (and to stay a little bit back on topic) - King K. Rool will always be my number one most wanted for Smash 4! Hopefully I attracted a bit of attention to the King with that tag. I'll move onto my K.Rool moveset plan after I've finished my Isaac moveset,

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Really I don't, from my knowledge here, know of any other folks topping the 'scoreboard' then King K.Rool and Isaac. Like those are two folks I see as shoe-ins due to popularity.

However, as I said when I first came here, I don't mind really WHO they add. Granted, I have my favorites, Such as our King, Paper Mario, Someone Rhythm Heaven, and Shantae... but y'know. It's really all up in the clouds at the moment.

Also Shantae I see as being one of those characters that has a very, very slim chance, but it's better then a lot of other folks.
If K.Rool and Wolf comeback i wouldnt care who else made it

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
So, I was in NYC yesterday and decided to go see the Nintendo World Store. Upstairs there were several games set up. Splatoon had three stations, Smash had 2, Mario Kart had 2, Mario 3d World had 1, and look what else they had.

Donkey Kong Country.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
So, I was in NYC yesterday and decided to go see the Nintendo World Store. Upstairs there were several games set up. Splatoon had three stations, Smash had 2, Mario Kart had 2, Mario 3d World had 1, and look what else they had.

Donkey Kong Country.
You just can't beat DKC....unless its DKC2.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

SomeRealTalk.jpg

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
>Be Me
>play on this tf2 server with my friends, map is boostertower
>playing hide and seek
>guy joins, has #KrocTheVote in his name
>have like a ten minute discussion on smash, tell him I support K Rool as well
>other people on server join in, also like K Rool
>add guy
Yesterday was a good day for me.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

Donkey Kong Country.
Nintendo has always recognized DKC1 as one of their classic gems. btw is anyone as thirsty as I am for a direct? How long will we wait do you all predict?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nintendo has always recognized DKC1 as one of their classic gems. btw is anyone as thirsty as I am for a direct? How long will we wait do you all predict?
I think we could get a Direct within the next couple of weeks. Maybe even this week, and they were just waiting for Gamescom to pass by so they could get the attention this week.

I think we're definitely in for a Direct VERY soon.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I think we could get a Direct within the next couple of weeks. Maybe even this week, and they were just waiting for Gamescom to pass by so they could get the attention this week.

I think we're definitely in for a Direct VERY soon.
Hmmm... do you think they considered the last update our "3 month fix" to hold us over til Halloween? I truly hope that's not the case.

Top Bottom