• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

Y'all are lucky, I don't have Smash to discuss with anyone IRL.
Changing the specials with costumes is a good idea in theory - but the rest of the moveset would largely end up consisting of generic scratches, bites and body slams if that were to happen - in order to keep all 3 in-line (keep in mind that you can't see the tail when he's Kaptain or Baron). K. Rool's moveset needs to have quirky attacks to match his quirky characteristics. I'd much rather have a blunderbuss slam with his fsmash than say, a punch.
A big reason why I suggested it was because I wanted to give K. Rool something that I feel no other Smash characters would have that'd be unique to him and this was something I though agree. Still, I do understand where you're coming from, but I hope that with Sakurai emphasizing more on movesets for new characters this time that he'll not only be able to do something like this, but also make his standards interesting.
This statement is pretty funny since King K. Rool can do even far more cool things than Wii Fit Trainer can ever hope to do.
I would be surprised if he didn't go back on his word after the King K. Rool trailer...

Speaking of which, we are getting 90 minutes of Smash, aren't we? I'll be surprised if we didn't get multiple newcomer trailers. If that's the case, King K. Rool should be one of them.
I've seen detractors of Mega Man go back on their words on him being a good choice once he got to be playable in this upcoming game. I guarantee you they'll do it for K. Rool should he get in as playable.

Also, I'm expecting Pac-Man, Mii, and one more newcomer to show up. However, I am expecting Palutena to be shown at E3, but if it isn't her, then K. Rool could happen. However, I'd imagine he's more likely a secret character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's say that K. Rool does get his three costumes, but here's the catch. K. Rool has more than four special moves. How so? Well, K. Rool has his King outfit, his Kaptain outfit, and his Roolenstein outfit. While playing as K. Rool, he can change between his costumes to obtain his special moves by pressing the Down B button. The original would have his special attacks from DKC/DK64, his Kaptain outfit would have his attacks from DKC2, and his Roolenstein outfit would be from DKC3. The attacks and Final Smash would remain the same as well as the Down B, but the netural, up, and side B would change based on costume. This should give K. Rool a total of ten special moves to work with.

Ugh I wish I had some more friends to talk about smashbros with. My one friend I do get to see a lot was so disappointing in Brawl, that he doesn't want to get hype at all for smash, so he is assuming the worst right now so he can't be brought down if the new smash turns out bad. It sucks because while I wasn't happy with Brawl, I know this time around just not to assume it will be the best game ever and to be just a tad cautious. So I really cant speculate much with him because he just assumes we wont see much in the way of new characters. Always a real downer when the subject comes up. Which is why I jumped back into Smashboards, so I have a place to vent the hype I keep getting.
This

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I dont want to put any bets for who is coming back, so much is up in the air for me its not even funny. As long as K.Rool is in, I will be pretty happy with whatever choices are made. There are a lot of characters I feel could stand a good chance of being in, but definitely don't think they will all get in, so it really comes down to what Sakurai is feeling this time around.

I am not sure what he is doing about cuts either. We haven't had many non-clone cut characters (aside from Mewtwo), but if some characters do get cut from Brawl, I could imagine a few more newcomers. Who knows at this point.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ah; I want K Rool in so badly. He is quickly becoming my most wanted character.

D

Deleted member

Ah; I want K Rool in so badly. He is quickly becoming my most wanted character.
Same here. King K. Rool is currently my most wanted character, now that Mega Man is in.

So what would people say are the most memorable moments you had with K. Rool?

For me, it was when I first fought him and saw the Kredit scene; assumed I had beaten K. Rool, and then realized that I wasn't done yet. I'm the type of person who waits until the very end, but I can imagine it would result in many frustrated people who assumed that they had beaten the game and then realized that the boss battle wasn't over yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I just cant imagine K.Rool getting the short end of the stick again. I actually thought he would have a decent chance in Brawl, but I guess there were still plenty of Nintendo character choices. This time around I feel he has less competition. The only real things standing in his way is the possibility of Dixie becoming the new and only rep for the DK series, or if he gets stuck with Boss status. Out of all the other characters wanted on these boards at this point, I would imagine K.Rool has to be one of the top 5 most expected.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd still be happiest if K Rool and Dixie were both added; but I feel as though one is just gonna have to be next game if not enough characters are added.
Shame though, as Dixie could easily be a Diddy clone.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Same here. King K. Rool is currently my most wanted character, now that Mega Man is in.

For me, it was when I first fought him and saw the Kredit scene; assumed I had beaten K. Rool, and then realized that I was done yet. I'm the type of person who waits until the very end, but I can imagine it would result in many frustrated people who assumed that they had beaten the game and then realized that the boss battle wasn't over yet.
In the DKC series, it was probably the first final battle I had against him. For the first two or attempts, I actually had some trouble dodging the cannonballs, because they could still damage you even after they had hit the ground. I didn't fall for the kredits though, the lack of victory theme made me suspicious, and the names on the kredits confirmed it.

For spinoffs, I'd say a memorable K. Rool moment was a game of Mario Super Sluggers I had with a friend of mine. It was true battle. Back and forth we went, switching pitchers and one-upping the other, only for them to tie the game. There were numerous heroics on both sides, but the game remained a stalemate until the 14th inning. Then K. Rool stepped up to the plate. First pitch, boom. Over the left field wall for a walk-off homerun.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
So what would people say are the most memorable moments you had with K. Rool?.
K. Rool was the first boss I beat on my own when I was about 4. Bowser would have been the first but him descending in the Koopa Clown Car with the lightning scared the **** out of me. I distinctly remember it was a Sunday morning and I was trying to beat it before I had to go to church.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For me, it was when I first fought him and saw the Kredit scene; assumed I had beaten K. Rool, and then realized that I wasn't done yet. I'm the type of person who waits until the very end, but I can imagine it would result in many frustrated people who assumed that they had beaten the game and then realized that the boss battle wasn't over yet.
Being able to beat Kaptain K. Rool. He's a hard boss, I'll give him that. Especially when he starts spewing out those coloured gases from his blunderbuss.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Being able to beat Kaptain K. Rool. He's a hard boss, I'll give him that. Especially when he starts spewing out those coloured gases from his blunderbuss.
Gonna agree with this part. As a child, I didn't have too many games, but out of all the games I did play, Kaptain K.Rool was probably the hardest boss I had ever fought. Those gases that messed up your controller made me rage quit so many times. But when I did eventually beat him, the satisfaction was one of my biggest triumphs. I had no idea that you could fight him again if you did all those secret worlds though. DKC2 was actually a really hard game as a kid looking back on it.

Speaking of which I really hope Kaptain's K.Rool's theme is used in the next smash bros. That and Krooks March.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
And K. Rool's laugh in those game over scenes was epic as hell. And the way he moved was scary, twitching around like that. But that only reinforces how badass K. Rool is. ;)

D

Deleted member

I've never beaten the original DKC games. Wtf
I beat the first one at least... as I didn't play the other two. (runs for the mountains)
At least I saw the climatic final battle in DKC1.

I wish I could play them but for some reason, tey were removed from the vc which makes me sad :(
Hopefully they will bring them back on the Wii U Virtual Console. I would buy those games in a heartbeat.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see some good K. Rool memories shared here.
I just cant imagine K.Rool getting the short end of the stick again. I actually thought he would have a decent chance in Brawl, but I guess there were still plenty of Nintendo character choices. This time around I feel he has less competition. The only real things standing in his way is the possibility of Dixie becoming the new and only rep for the DK series, or if he gets stuck with Boss status. Out of all the other characters wanted on these boards at this point, I would imagine K.Rool has to be one of the top 5 most expected.
I don't think Dixie Kong has any direct impact on K. Rool's chances of getting in. I myself don't see them as competition with each other to be honest and feel as they'll be added on their own merit. The only franchise you could really say this towards are Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and maybe Mario. If K. Rool is playable/not playable, it won't be because of Dixie's status in this game.

At this point, I'm expecting either boss or playable status. There is no way that after Kremlings in Smash Run that they'll keep him at a simple trophy, he will get a larger role in this game. Assist Trophy also seems very weird and unusual to me after Kremlings showing up in Smash Run. I'll be surprised if I was wrong on either of these, but obviously I'm hoping for playable.

I'd go as far as to say that K. Rool is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer for this game; at least according to Shorts's last poll before E3 2013. Here, K. Rool is shown neck-and-neck with Ridley. Even if you look at all of Shorts's poll he's made similar to this fashion, K. Rool does not fall far behind Ridley. This is just in the West. In Japan, whereas Ridley is barely requested, K. Rool continues to be highly requested for Smash over there.
K. Rool was the first boss I beat on my own when I was about 4. Bowser would have been the first but him descending in the Koopa Clown Car with the lightning scared the **** out of me. I distinctly remember it was a Sunday morning and I was trying to beat it before I had to go to church.
I do remember that Donkey Kong Country was the first SNES game I've ever beaten on my own and probably one of the earliest games as well. I think I beat it sometimes in 2003/2004? I wasn't really good with video game (still kinda suck to be honest); I first played it probably in 1999 and it took me four to five years to beat it.
Speaking of which I really hope Kaptain's K.Rool's theme is used in the next smash bros. That and Krooks March.
I really do hope the Kaptain K. Rool theme shows up in SSB 3DS & Wii U. I actually do prefer it to the original final boss theme.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I guess I probably shouldn't worry too much about Dixie Kong. I think we all realize King K.Rool's true competition is obviously the devilishly handsome, fabulously wealthy and prime specimen of all apes on Kongo Bongo Island.

I would make a thread for him, but its so obvious that he is already in, I see no point of even speculating.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How have I never owned a Super Nintendo?
This must be remedied pronto. Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, DKC1-3, Megaman; you will all be in my possession.

...Can someone loan me a few hundred bucks? In the name of gaming?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The cutscenes in Donkey Kong 64, I guess. They're probably the best display of his personality and kruelty.

“I've been waiting a long time for this moment. Soon, Donkey Kong and his pretty little island... will be no more.”

D

Deleted member

This must be remedied pronto. Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, DKC1-3, Megaman; you will all be in my possession.

I'm going to get a Super Famicom eventually. Not sure when, but eventually. All of these games will definitely be in my collection eventually.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Super Metroid is a contender for best game of all time, don't miss that one.

Also I honestly recommend skipping DKC1, it's VERY mediocre. Jump straight ahead to DKC2 which is the best platformer on the system.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Super Metroid is a contender for best game of all time, don't miss that one.

Also I honestly recommend skipping DKC1, it's VERY mediocre. Jump straight ahead to DKC2 which is the best platformer on the system.
I disagree, DKC1 is just as awesome and challenging as the second one, also K. Rool's final battle and music is pretty awesome. And well, if you're looking to play as Donkey Kong then you should get that game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I disagree, DKC1 is just as awesome and challenging as the second one, also K. Rool's final battle and music is pretty awesome. And well, if you're looking to play as Donkey Kong then you should get that game.
The level design is pretty bland and streamlined the whole way through, and when there are gimmicks it doesn't do a good job in combining the platforming with said gimmick. (That one where you have you turn on the lights to avoid the invincible Kremlings? Yeah, most of the jumps you make is to get the lights on.) And if you take away these gimmicks the game is SO basic. Plus enemy placements are random and terrible, it's hard to see what's coming from the screens. (doesn't help the hit detection in the game is actually screwed up.) The game is an absolute mess. DK is my second favorite Nintendo character, only behind Wario, and it's hard to use him when Diddy is just better in every way. Returns and Tropical Freeze handled DK way better than Rare ever did.

DKC2 improved on it in so many ways I still have a hard time believing this is by the same team behind DKC1. But I don't want to derail this thread with DKC1 vs the rest so let's take it to PM if you want this discussed further.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Donkey Kong was needed in the first game when it came to stomping on Klumps or Krushas; but yeah, Diddy was better otherwise. The only real criticism I would have for the first DKC is too many giant versions of normal enemies passing off as bosses and some of them even being recycled (minus like K. Rool and Dumb Drum), but I never had a problem with enemy placements, hit detection, the levels with the on/off lights, etc (game was perfectly playable for me and pretty much everyone I know in those respects). Of course, it probably helped that I played the DKC's in order (would recommend DukeNapoleon does the same). If you played DKC1 for the first time only after seeing the improvements and stuff with the sequels, then I can see how it would be more underwhelming, but man, the game had some of my first favorite soundtracks, snow, factory, and mine environments, and many other things I could name that the pros of the game could never be outweighed by the cons, for me at least.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The only real criticism I would have for the first DKC is too many giant versions of normal enemies passing off as bosses and some of them even being recycled (minus like K. Rool and Dumb Drum), but I never had a problem with enemy placements, hit detection, the levels with the on/off lights, etc (game was perfectly playable for me and pretty much everyone I know in those respects).
DKC1 was amazing for its time. The difference is that DKC2 is a masterpiece, which is why most people remember it so fondly, and it's on the top lists of games people loved for SNES. In hindsight, yeah, DKC1 sucked compared to DKC2, but I played DKC1 first, myself, and I loved it as a kid. DKC2 was just, and I knew this as a kid as well, light years beyond what people expected from the sequel. It's the game they pulled out all the stops for.

And, honestly, I think on the merit that the DKC series was amazing, they should make K. Rool playable. Donkey Kong needs a villain, just as Metroid and Mother does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It has been a long journey for fans of King K. Rool such as myself. Nearly six and a half year has passed and we still do not know anything in regards to King K. Rool fate in Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U. No indication of what Sakurai thinks of King K. Rool, nothing aside from a trophy, he really is a character we don't know the thoughts of from the man that has brought Super Smash Bros. into existence. But despite how little we know about Sakurai's thoughts on playable King K. Rool and his absence in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, fans have remained strong and have not given up.

Those who were around pre-Brawl may recognize that Diddy Kong was among the Top 10 most wanted characters worldwide for Brawl. The push for Diddy Kong's inclusion was massive and relentless as characters, especially since so many were disappointed when he did not get into Melee. When Diddy Kong was confirmed, so many fans around the world celebrated his inclusion as one of the most wanted Nintendo characters had finally gotten in. It was then when King K. Rool and Dixie Kong started to rise in demand with the bigger push going towards King K. Rool. As a matter of fact, many assumed that a third DK character would happen for Brawl and many were disappointed when they figured out that wasn't the case.

Six and a half years later, King K. Rool's future in the Donkey Kong franchise seems uncertain. King K. Rool has been absence ever since Super Mario Sluggers, having not appeared in Donkey Kong Country Returns or Tropical Freeze. Many are worried that King K. Rool is dead and is never returning. Despite this, there is most certainly hope for King K. Rool's inclusion in this game.

King K. Rool is likely the third most wanted character for this game and as such, the most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Not only is he extremely strongly wanted in the West (behind only Mewtwo, Mega Man and probably Ridley), he's also highly requested in Japan; a feat that few characters have accomplished (by contrast, Ridley is barely even requested there). Sakurai does take fan demand into account (although how much remains to be seen, though he certainly did it for Mega Man), so this is likely going to be enough for Sakurai to note.

K. Rool's recent absence does not diminish his importance to the franchise. After all of these years, he is still seen as the main villain of the franchise; he has appeared as the antagonist for the majority of the Donkey Kong games; including the trilogy, DK64, the Donkey Kong Land games, DK King of Swing, and DK Jungle Climbers. Other villains of the DK franchise simply cannot compare; no one has appeared as the main antagonist more than once and as such, have not been able to successfully replace K. Rool as the main villain. As a matter of fact, Tiki Tong and to a greater extent, Lord Fredrik, have inspiration from King K. Rool. There's also speculation that the rock here looks similar to King K. Rool. The Banana crown looks similar to King K. Rool's crown, so while it hasn't been confirmed that the rock was meant to look like King K. Rool, the similarity can't be denied. Regardless, Retro Studio haven't forgotten about King K. Rool and it wouldn't be surprising if they returned in DKCR3.

Another thing to note is that Kremling are appearing in Smash Run. For the first time in nearly six years, we have seen Kremlings appear. What makes their appearance important is the fact that like K. Rool, they have not appeared in years and we have yet to see any other types of enemies brought back like this (other enemies have been making recent appearance). Clearly, it'd be very surprising if K. Rool was just a trophy in this game so this almost certainly means King K. Rool is going to receive a larger role in Smash. An Assist Trophy role seems unlikely as well since it'd be strange for the Kremling King to be an Assist Trophy while there are enemies as well. At this point, we are probably looking at either a boss role or a playable character here, with no indication of what it is. However, with him being probably the most wanted Nintendo newcomer, being the primary antagonist of the DK franchise, and really no legitimate counterpoints against him, he has a good shot of being playable. The only question at this point is if Sakurai sees him as worthy of playable status.

I am very hopeful that I am right here. King K. Rool has been among my top three most wanted characters here for the past few years (ever since I first became active in the speculation scene in June, 2011) and I have wanted him for even longer. Now that Mega Man is in, King K. Rool is currently my most wanted character. As someone who loved Donkey Kong Country, DKC2, and DK64, I have always liked King K. Rool as a villain and very much missed having him around. DKC was likely one of the first games I've beaten on my own (and the first SNES title at it) and have particularly fond memories of that title. It was great to see Diddy Kong finally appear in Brawl (despite not playing as him too much, he is my favorite Donkey Kong character) and I hope that King K. Rool will follow with Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U.

Very soon could King K. Rool's role in the next Smash game be disclosed to the community. It is possible that E3 2014 will show off the entire roster there for hype purposes. There's also the possibility of mass dis-confirmation occurring just like in the Smash Direct so even if the roster doesn't get entirely shown off, fans should watch out for K. Rool's role there because it is possible that he either gets confirmed or disconfirmed as a playable character. Plus there is also the chance that if there are more newcomers beside the eleven that Sal Romano has leaked (the unconfirmed being Mii, Pac-Man, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, and Chorus Men) that Sal will leak the last batch of characters for this game. This final leak, if true, will determine whenever or not King K. Rool is playable in the game.

Regardless of what happens, we as fans will stick together until the very end. The Kremling King is counting on you to make his come back finally happen. Say it with me:

KING K. ROOL FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 3DS & WII U!

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
This is so incredibly weird. Although I will admit I do like Diddy's Japanese voice in the cartoon.
English video for comparison.
I am so tempted to buy this series on DVD...
It's been my life for the past few weeks. As someone who never watched it growing up I find it oddly fascinating. (It's just so...bad I can't help but be charmed by it.)

Even if it's just to hold a relic of the past.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm going to get a Super Famicom eventually. Not sure when, but eventually. All of these games will definitely be in my collection eventually.
Good luck to ya. For your sake I hope Super Famicom games are less expensive than their English counterparts.
Ugh, god forbid you want an English copy of Secret of Mana or Mother 2...ugh.

I only own DKC1 now, but I hope to get DKC2 and maybe DKC3. I'm worried they'll be too expensive though. If can just get DKC2 for thirty dollars or less I'll be happy. I got a working copy of DKC1 for half that, so I'm hopeful.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Definitely try to get a hold of DKC2 if possible. One of the best SNES games and platformers out there.

Its biggest strength is consistency. Level design rarely ever drops in in quality and the pacing is fantastic. There's fresh new ideas that are designed to accommodate the main platforming perfectly in every level. Although one thing Tropical Freeze and Returns do better is that they don't take stick with the same idea throughout the whole level, but tend to switch up or even add a new idea on top of the existing gimmick. Tropical Freeze shares the consistency and pacing of DKC2 so it's pretty damn amazing, and while DKCR is a bit iffy on pacing, it has higher highs. The Forest - Cliffs- Factory world combo in Returns is unmatched in any platformer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom