• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Anyone can edit a Wiki page. I can go online and edit in that Chucky the Cheese is now playable, and that wouldn't make it more or less valid.

Anyways, February is now upon us at last. We're finally due for the surge of Donkey Kong news we thought we'd be getting in November before Tropical Freeze was pushed back, including but not limited to Diddy's website reveal. The potential for a February Direct reveal hasn't been discussed much in here yet, though it probably will as it draws nearer.

Before that happens, though, I'd like to forewarn the Kutthroat community; if Dixie, Cranky, or some Kong duo gets revealed in the Direct, there is going to be a large surge of kneejerk circlejerking about how K. Rool is disconfirmed, or how K. Rool doesn't have a chance anymore, or blah blah blah reasoning, just like there was after Tropical Freeze's E3 reveal. This is because, as rational as forum users can be during normal times, the moment they're staring at footage of anything, "everyone loses their minds," as the Joker says.

Unless K. Rool is literally shown as a boss fight or something, I just ask everyone to keep a sense of perspective; we've known for months that, if Dixie is in the game, she's getting revealed near Tropical Freeze's release, while K. Rool can be revealed anytime, and we've discussed for years that the DK series can feature four characters. This is not to say continue onward and blindly believe that K. Rool is a shoo-in, but to recognize that, oftentimes, the public's first reaction to anything is as wrong as it gets. See "Lucario revealed?! Now Mewtwo has no chance!" for more on the subject.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Anyone can edit a Wiki page. I can go online and edit in that Chucky the Cheese is now playable, and that wouldn't make it more or less valid.

Anyways, February is now upon us at last. We're finally due for the surge of Donkey Kong news we thought we'd be getting in November before Tropical Freeze was pushed back, including but not limited to Diddy's website reveal. The potential for a February Direct reveal hasn't been discussed much in here yet, though it probably will as it draws nearer.

Before that happens, though, I'd like to forewarn the Kutthroat community; if Dixie, Cranky, or some Kong duo gets revealed in the Direct, there is going to be a large surge of kneejerk circlejerking about how K. Rool is disconfirmed, or how K. Rool doesn't have a chance anymore, or blah blah blah reasoning, just like there was after Tropical Freeze's E3 reveal. This is because, as rational as forum users can be during normal times, the moment they're staring at footage of anything, "everyone loses their minds," as the Joker says.

Unless K. Rool is literally shown as a boss fight or something, I just ask everyone to keep a sense of perspective; we've known for months that, if Dixie is in the game, she's getting revealed near Tropical Freeze's release, while K. Rool can be revealed anytime, and we've discussed for years that the DK series can feature four characters. This is not to say continue onward and blindly believe that K. Rool is a shoo-in, but to recognize that, oftentimes, the public's first reaction to anything is as wrong as it gets. See "Lucario revealed?! Now Mewtwo has no chance!" for more on the subject.
Good point while I have to say you can put your bets on how many users will just continue overreacting even though you have already well mentionned why there is absolutely no need to go crazy.

As you said, we already noticed 4 DK characters is absolutely a possibility. I won't change my mind with a confirmation of Diddy and Dixie/Cranky. If there were a DK newcomer to be shown in a Nintendo Direct at the end of this month, well it wouldn't be K.Rool.

K.Rool is the sort of newcomer even Nintendo should keep for E3, same goes with the possibility of Ridley as a newcomer. Both are able to make many people happy because their expectations became true. You want Smash fans to get really hyped for the game? Well Sakurai, K.Rool and Ridley revealed at E3 and you'll see the reactions.

I always keep in mind Sakurai may not put the characters in the game I would like to see in order to be not totally disappointed right before the release of SSB4 if someone weren't in the roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I know this hypothetical situation seems fairly unlikely, but what if the next newcomer character being revealed isn't a DK one, but someone completely random like, say, Isaac, Shulk or Chrom?

Morbi

Scavenger
I know this hypothetical situation seems fairly unlikely, but what if the next newcomer character being revealed isn't a DK one, but someone completely random like, say, Isaac, Shulk or Chrom?
It wouldn't be absurd, but at the same time, Nintendo is truly promoting Tropical Freeze to extremities. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a veteran like Diddy Kong around the release date.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Threw together a quick moveset, I feel that I should have done this a while ago since K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer. :laugh:
[collapse=King K. Rool]Abilities
  • Wall Jump: No
  • Wall Cling: No
  • Glide: No
  • Crawl: No
Stats
  • Size: Slightly taller than DK, appears larger due to DK being hunched over.
  • Weight: Heaviest character in the game.
  • Jump Height: Surprisingly high initial jump, second jump is shorter.
  • Speed: Walking-Just slower than Dedede. Dashing- Just faster than Yoshi. Falling- Same as Ganondorf.
Standard Attacks
Jab- Swipes his claws multiple times.
FTilt- A strong swift punch, can be angled.
UTilt- Swipes above him with his crown.
DTilt- Swipes his tail just in front of him.
Dash- Jets forward with his blunderbuss, ramming into opponents.
Floor Attack- Slashes his claws as he gets up.
Ledge Attack- Slides onto the ledge with a kick.

Smash Attacks
FSmash- Thrusts out his blunderbuss which explodes from the barrel, has two hits.
USmash- Jumps upward slightly, ramming his crown into opponents.
DSmash- Spins around and swings his tail along the ground.

Arials
Nair-
Slams his belly into opponents, similar to Dedede's Nair.
Fair- Slashes forward with his claws.
Uair- Flips upside down and kicks upwards, similar to Snake's Uair.
Dair- Thrusts his blunderbuss downwards for a quick blast, similar to his F Smash.
Bair- Swings his crown behind him.

Throws
Grab- Medium range, relatively quick.
Pummel- Slaps the opponent.
FThrow- Tosses the opponent forward and kicks them away.
UThrow- Tosses the opponent upwards and rams his crown into them.
DThrow- Slams his tail onto the opponent.
BThrow- Slams the opponent behind him and uses his blunderbuss to blast them away.

Specials
NeutralB- Krown Toss: K. Rool's iconic attack from his first appearance, he tosses out his crown which comes back to him like a boomerang. The crown can spike opponents either upwards or downwards depending on how it hits them.

SideB- Blunderbuss: K. Rool pulls out his trusty blunderbuss and fires projectiles at his opponents. What projectile comes out depends on the input, if you just press the stick he'll fire out toxic gas clouds of varying effect that do small continuous damage. If you perform a "smash input" he'll fire out a cannonball that has one damaging hit with heavy knockback. When K. Rool's own damage reaches higher percents, the projectiles will start to fly in circular patterns in the air.

DownB- Krusha Slam: K. Rool jumps up and then slams onto the ground producing a shock-wave that can trip opponents.

UpB- Heli-Pack: K. Rool dons the heli-pack he used as the Baron in DKC3, however this time he's made a modification. The pack now has two rods on the sides that produce and electric spark field that protects K. Rool and damages anyone who comes near him during the move. He flies upwards a moderate distance before the pack wears out and leaves him falling helplessly.

Final Smash- The End?: K. Rool plays dead as the credits begin to roll, the credit themselves can push opponents around. Cannonballs fall from the sky which cause high damage and tremendous knockback, occasionally a beam of electricity will shoot across the ground that can stun opponents in place and causes continuous damage.

Miscellaneous
  • Entrance- Slams to the ground and laughs.
  • Taunt1- Laughs maniacally.
  • Taunt2- Roars menacingly.
  • Taunt3- Poses, showing off his muscles.
  • Victory1- Takes off his crown and bows.
  • Victory2- Dances joyfully.
  • Victory3- Laughs then growls at the losers.
  • Match Loss- Stomps his feet in anger.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Threw together a quick moveset, I feel that I should have done this a while ago since K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer. :laugh:
[collapse=King K. Rool]Abilities
  • Wall Jump: No
  • Wall Cling: No
  • Glide: No
  • Crawl: No
Stats
  • Size: Slightly taller than DK, appears larger due to DK being hunched over.
  • Weight: Heaviest character in the game.
  • Jump Height: Surprisingly high initial jump, second jump is shorter.
  • Speed: Walking-Just slower than Dedede. Dashing- Just faster than Yoshi. Falling- Same as Ganondorf.
Standard Attacks
Jab- Swipes his claws multiple times.
FTilt- A strong swift punch, can be angled.
UTilt- Swipes above him with his crown.
DTilt- Swipes his tail just in front of him.
Dash- Jets forward with his blunderbuss, ramming into opponents.
Floor Attack- Slashes his claws as he gets up.
Ledge Attack- Slides onto the ledge with a kick.

Smash Attacks
FSmash- Thrusts out his blunderbuss which explodes from the barrel, has two hits.
USmash- Jumps upward slightly, ramming his crown into opponents.
DSmash- Spins around and swings his tail along the ground.

Arials
Nair-
Slams his belly into opponents, similar to Dedede's Nair.
Fair- Slashes forward with his claws.
Uair- Flips upside down and kicks upwards, similar to Snake's Uair.
Dair- Thrusts his blunderbuss downwards for a quick blast, similar to his F Smash.
Bair- Swings his crown behind him.

Throws
Grab- Medium range, relatively quick.
Pummel- Slaps the opponent.
FThrow- Tosses the opponent forward and kicks them away.
UThrow- Tosses the opponent upwards and rams his crown into them.
DThrow- Slams his tail onto the opponent.
BThrow- Slams the opponent behind him and uses his blunderbuss to blast them away.

Specials
NeutralB- Krown Toss: K. Rool's iconic attack from his first appearance, he tosses out his crown which comes back to him like a boomerang. The crown can spike opponents either upwards or downwards depending on how it hits them.

SideB- Blunderbuss: K. Rool pulls out his trusty blunderbuss and fires projectiles at his opponents. What projectile comes out depends on the input, if you just press the stick he'll fire out toxic gas clouds of varying effect that do small continuous damage. If you perform a "smash input" he'll fire out a cannonball that has one damaging hit with heavy knockback. When K. Rool's own damage reaches higher percents, the projectiles will start to fly in circular patterns in the air.

DownB- Krusha Slam: K. Rool jumps up and then slams onto the ground producing a shock-wave that can trip opponents.

UpB- Heli-Pack: K. Rool dons the heli-pack he used as the Baron in DKC3, however this time he's made a modification. The pack now has two rods on the sides that produce and electric spark field that protects K. Rool and damages anyone who comes near him during the move. He flies upwards a moderate distance before the pack wears out and leaves him falling helplessly.

Final Smash- The End?: K. Rool plays dead as the credits begin to roll, the credit themselves can push opponents around. Cannonballs fall from the sky which cause high damage and tremendous knockback, occasionally a beam of electricity will shoot across the ground that can stun opponents in place and causes continuous damage.

Miscellaneous
  • Entrance- Slams to the ground and laughs.
  • Taunt1- Laughs maniacally.
  • Taunt2- Roars menacingly.
  • Taunt3- Poses, showing off his muscles.
  • Victory1- Takes off his crown and bows.
  • Victory2- Dances joyfully.
  • Victory3- Laughs then growls at the losers.
  • Match Loss- Stomps his feet in anger.
[/collapse]
So much for "thrown together quickly."

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
February is going to be an interesting month for DKC fans. We all can pretty much expect Diddy to be revealed on the 13th (Japanese launch for TF), and we will probably get a Direct this month. I would be willing to bet that Sakurai will sneak in a newcomer in that probable Direct. I'm betting on Palutena, but it is also possible that it could be a DKC character. I personally want it to be Dixie (obviously), just so that I can rest easy, but I would also be quite happy with K. Rool. I am so hyped for this month. Can't wait to play TF.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Everyone here that beat all 3 DKC games as a child, raise your hand. Bonus points for beating DK64.
"Raises hand"

I still remember when I was young, and my heart finally settled after the intense Hideout Helm ordeal. I then walk to the final door and realise I forgot the damn Nintendo and Rareware Coins; back to Cranky's house I went.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
"Raises hand"

I still remember when I was young, and my heart finally settled after the intense Hideout Helm ordeal. I then walk to the final door and realise I forgot the damn Nintendo and Rareware Coins; back to Cranky's house I went.
The Donkey Kong arcade was harder for me than the rest of the game.
I remember being scared ****less when K. Rool turned invisible when you fight him at the end,
Oh, and being even more scared of that Duck in the Box from Hell.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Everyone here that beat all 3 DKC games as a child, raise your hand. Bonus points for beating DK64.
*raises hand*
Here, .. beaten the DKC trilogy and DK64 on my childhood. 8D... though not 100% =P... but yeah... I recently bought back my DKC2 for SNES, and now I'm playing all again! I stoped today on Screech's Sprint,.. I'll probably will be back to play next weekend, and then, have a nice duel with the King! =P

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since toobigots of K. Rool are harder to come across, I guess one could always try seeing if there's any ******s out there who made a YouTube video on how "wrong" it would be to have him in Smash and talk about how stupid they were being here.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
More Tropical Freeze music revealed

BRAMBLE ****ING BLAST!

LOCKJAW'S ****ING SAGA!

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Not that I don't love this but you might wanna put that in spoilers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only there was a separate thread for the Tropical Freeze topics, because they don't even belong here.

Unfortunately, the Mario Universe forum is pretty much dead.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
C'mon guys!! Let's beat the Ridley thread's post count!!!
Yeeeaaahhh I don't think so. Even before the post count in there suddenly tripled the Ridley thread was still a lot more active than the K. Rool thread. More vocal fanbase and a lot more debate surrounding his chances, I guess

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Yeeeaaahhh I don't think so. Even before the post count in there suddenly tripled the Ridley thread was still a lot more active than the K. Rool thread. More vocal fanbase and a lot more debate surrounding his chances, I guess
Yeah, like it would ever happen. Right now we just have to wait for a potential K. Rool reveal.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
K Rool has alot less conversery surrounding him in general, makes for less to discuss. I don't think I've seen a group of people get outraged over the idea of K Rool in smash compared to Ridley... eh... I've lost count on how many times people have been screaming about him now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If only there was a separate thread for the Tropical Freeze topics, because they don't even belong here.

Unfortunately, the Mario Universe forum is pretty much dead.
Problem being, the Donkey Kong Universe is a completely different beast from the Mario Universe.

Ridley has more visible support than K. Rool one, because within his franchise, most people will only be satisfied with Ridley, where a handful of people consider K. Rool interchangeable with Dixie or Cranky for god knows what reason. Second, while K. Rool has a handful of naysayers, they're a lot quieter because they know they're the minority opinion. Too Bigots, on the other hand, are enabled by hordes of trolls on sites like GameFAQs and loudmouth attention-seekers like Shokio who play 'characters' at Ridley's expense. Whether or not a subtler, less antagonized fanbase is preferable to a more visible one with a built-in culture of opposition is a matter of individual preference.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You can totally hear the Metroid-Primeness shining through in that Aquatic Ambiance remix.

I'm not even a huge DK fan, and I'm seriously thinking about picking that **** up.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to forewarn the Kutthroat community; if Dixie, Cranky, or some Kong duo gets revealed in the Direct, there is going to be a large surge of kneejerk circlejerking about how K. Rool is disconfirmed, or how K. Rool doesn't have a chance anymore
Too true, for whatever reason people seem to think that characters compete with each other for slots. -_- Sakurai simply picks who he wants to put in and no previously selected character has any type of influence. Oh well, this is the internet and rational thinking isn't always present.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You can totally hear the Metroid-Primeness shining through in that Aquatic Ambiance remix.

I'm not even a huge DK fan, and I'm seriously thinking about picking that **** up.
Yeah, no kidding. Whereas my getting a Wii U previously hinged very strongly on one of K. Rool or Ridley being in Smash, recent exposure to Tropical Freeze may be enough to sway me anyway. Granted, I'll most likely wait until I'm home for the summer and have a lot less to focus on, so who knows what I'll be thinking then, but needless to say, I'm thinking that Tropical Freeze blows Returns clean out of the water before even touching it, and I thought Returns was pretty good for the most part.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, no kidding. Whereas my getting a Wii U previously hinged very strongly on one of K. Rool or Ridley being in Smash, recent exposure to Tropical Freeze may be enough to sway me anyway. Granted, I'll most likely wait until I'm home for the summer and have a lot less to focus on, so who knows what I'll be thinking then, but needless to say, I'm thinking that Tropical Freeze blows Returns clean out of the water before even touching it, and I thought Returns was pretty good for the most part.
I thought Returns was a pretty good game; I haven't played any of the old DKs at length (I mean, seriously, who didn't play Country when they were younger?), so I can't compare it to them, but it seemed like a solid experience besides the dumb shake-to-roll crap.

Thing is, after that Rocket Barrel level with the huge bat, I was drained. I went through so many lives, so many Banana Coins, so many hours. I played the first level of the Forest area and was immediately sick of it. Never finished it.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I thought Returns was a pretty good game; I haven't played any of the old DKs at length (I mean, seriously, who didn't play Country when they were younger?), so I can't compare it to them, but it seemed like a solid experience besides the dumb shake-to-roll crap.

Thing is, after that Rocket Barrel level with the huge bat, I was drained. I went through so many lives, so many Banana Coins, so many hours. I played the first level of the Forest area and was immediately sick of it. Never finished it.
ehhh... imo returns was pretty bland compared to the originals. It was still a good game, but i prefer the originals so much more. Lackluster soundtrack, boring enemies, 1 animal buddy, and boring level theme's

seriously DKC2 had a pirate ship, haunted forest, beehive, airship, an amusement park, and a volcano that shot out rainbows.

Returns basically copied new super mario bros and made, beach, forest, swamp, volcano, cave/mountain, desert/valley.

It was a good game, but I did not think it was too special

Tropical Freeze on the other hand looks really good. Amazing soundtrack, decent enemies, amazing graphics, 3 partner characters, and you can toggle off the motion controls

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Returns enemies were dull and some levels were lackluster. On the other hand TF looks sick , cant wait to play it.

Which brings me to the next topic. I think this is a key month for Dixies chances (with the japanese release and the Nintendo Direct). If she doesnt gets confirmed as newcomer I think her chances take a huge blow. I dont see any better oportunity to confirm her.

And I also dont see 4 DK characters happening for some reason, so I would be totally cool with having only The King as a newcomer.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I never got my hands on a SNES or N64 until college (my console trajectory from childhood through high school was NES -> Genesis -> Dreamcast -> GameCube), but I did beat all three DKC games. In fact, beating the first one is one of the warmest memories of my earliest college days, as I beat it in competitive mode against my girlfriend at the time.

I tried to beat DK64, but honestly found it really boring and tedious. I couldn't get into it at all, which was not a problem for me with Banjo or Conker. For me, Rare's 3D platformer misfire.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I never got my hands on a SNES or N64 until college (my console trajectory from childhood through high school was NES -> Genesis -> Dreamcast -> GameCube), but I did beat all three DKC games. In fact, beating the first one is one of the warmest memories of my earliest college days, as I beat it in competitive mode against my girlfriend at the time.

I tried to beat DK64, but honestly found it really boring and tedious. I couldn't get into it at all, which was not a problem for me with Banjo or Conker. For me, Rare's 3D platformer misfire.
Think it might've been due to how DK64 was like the king of 'collectathon' games at the time. I didn't really have a problem with it though (proudly 100%'ed it like the DKC's), but can see how it might've bored others.

Top Bottom