• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mhmm, Ridley's support is pretty one-sided, but when it does come to suggesting another Metroid rep in Japan, he does come up fairly regularly, it's just that they mostly don't care about another Metroid rep. :ohwell:

Considering how big the west is compared to Japan though, it'd make sense for him to be five. But on the other hand, considering how much more attention Japan gets for Smash, it'd make sense for him not to be in the top five internationally. So let's just compromise with Palutena, who is popular in both regions. ;)

I'd agree with K. Rool being third though. Though I haven't checked Japanese popularity for a long time, and Dixie also had a decent amount even before TF was announced.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'd agree with K. Rool being third though. Though I haven't checked Japanese popularity for a long time, and Dixie also had a decent amount even before TF was announced.
Can you check it soon? :c because I really want to know XD
The thread about the japanese fanbase is so old and needs an update.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can you check it soon? :c because I really want to know XD
The thread about the japanese fanbase is so old and needs an update.
If I get some time I suppose I could give it another look (though popularity at this point doesn't really matter - it's also harder to find reliable sources for Japanese Smash popularity), but really the best person to ask would be Venus, as he has access to all Japanese sites that might block their IPs for non-Japan-residents, and he's a lot more proficient in Japanese than I am. But if I do get some new results, I'll let people know.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I really want King K. Rool to be in this game, but I believe his chances are about 50/50. Sakurai said once before that there was going to be less emphasis on the roster this time, and that they were going to focus more on balancing the game. If a new DK rep gets in, its probably going to be Dixie.

Shame, because I do like the Crocodile King.

Ridley is only popular here,so I think that Palutena is the number 5.
Er, no. Ridley is easily the one of the most popular suggestions for newcomers across the Western world, MORE than just "Smashboards". He's popular enough that even Sakurai talked about it in Nintendo Power's interview with him. He's popular enough that even regular Japanese fans know about it. And also, while Metroid is only a niche franchise in Japan, he's still received some substantial support amongst the fanbase whenever they talk about a potential Metroid rep. In the Japanese Smash DOJO poll for Brawl, he's received more requests than Ike, Olimar, King K. Rool, and even Diddy Kong. Granted they were just random emails that Sakurai himself posted, but the fact remains that Sakurai knows that Ridley's a highly requested character period.

But his chances, like King K. Rool, are also 50/50, hinging on whether he's a stage hazard or not. So I wouldn't be surprised if he were deconfirmed yet again.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is crazy popular over here, but Metroid lacking popularity in Japan in general also equals him not being a very popular suggestion on the Japanese front. I'm not sure if Palutena outdoes him, considering how much bigger the western fanbase is and how much more requested he has consistently been, but the lack of Japanese attention surely puts him under Mega Man, Mewtwo and K. Rool. It's also hard to measure how much Japan means in terms of character inclusions, especially since most of them seem fine with Brawl's roster and just want the cut Melee veterans back according to Chrono's little analysis.

Not sure where you get Roy from, I don't see too much attention going towards him in these parts, especially not before Project M did their stuff with him. Though that could just be a result of me not really paying much attention to him.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ridley is like Little Mac: Very popular, but mainly in the west, not internationally.
I agree, Palutena is probably 5, although Shulk isn't far behind.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Er, no. Ridley is easily the one of the most popular suggestions for newcomers across the Western world, MORE than just "Smashboards". He's popular enough that even Sakurai talked about it in Nintendo Power's interview with him. He's popular enough that even regular Japanese fans know about it. And also, while Metroid is only a niche franchise in Japan, he's still received some substantial support amongst the fanbase whenever they talk about a potential Metroid rep. In the Japanese Smash DOJO poll for Brawl, he's received more requests than Ike, Olimar, King K. Rool, and even Diddy Kong. Granted they were just random emails that Sakurai himself posted, but the fact remains that Sakurai knows that Ridley's a highly requested character period.

But his chances, like King K. Rool, are also 50/50, hinging on whether he's a stage hazard or not. So I wouldn't be surprised if he were deconfirmed yet again.
I don't like labeling characters' chances 50/50, because the criteria used to select them is so much more than just a coin-toss, but then again, I don't really like rating characters' chances at all, since everyone rates characters entirely differently. With guys like K. Rool and Ridley, I like to deconstruct what positive factors exist in their favor, what negative factors exist against their favor, then package it all together to see them as likely or unlikely in varying degrees. Right now, based on K. Rool's positives and lack of negatives ("GameFAQs relevance" having been disproven as a negative factor by past games' newcomers), I see him as quite likely, while based on those of Ridley, whose sole negative is Sakurai's possible perception of him as "pretty impossible" (and we've learned better than to get hung up on Sakurai's words after Villager), he's got a really great shot as well. Could they still miss out? Yes, but currently, it would be based on criteria we have no way of predicting as of now.

It is worth pointing out that the Japanese Smash DOJO poll (I think) you're referencing is not a poll, but a Brawl Journal of Sakurai's. In the Journal, Sakurai published various character Japanese DOJO requests he found interesting or amusing, which were pulled from a larger pool of requests of an unknown size. While many of the requests were published in amounts that corresponded with characters' popularity at the time, it wasn't a strict popularity poll. So, while Mega Man had two mentions in the Journal compared to Takamaru's three, the former was almost definitely more popular than the latter, for example. Also, Ridley did not receive more mentions than Diddy, Ike, and Geno (lol), he tied with them at four mentions each. Yes, I have the Journal basically committed to memory by now, no, this isn't absurdly nerdy at all.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I figured much. I didn't have the Dojo Poll Journal in mind when I wrote that post, but I knew that Ridley was a substantially popular character request in Japan. Just not a top-tier character like Mega Man, Mewtwo, or King K. Rool.

Here's to hoping that the both of them get in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If it's hips and rear ends he likes so much, I have no idea why he doesn't support K. Rool, given that K. Rool's are so massive, they cause green shockwaves on impact.
You should tell that to Slugma himself.

Yeah, really. If you don't then I will. :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Since there's nothing else to discuss at the moment, I'd like to address a post I saw in the Discussion Backroom the other day. Basically, the poster was bothered about all the DKC cartoon references in relation to K. Rool, which gave him the impression that some people in here only support K. Rool because of the show.

I can't speak for everyone, so I'll just say that, personally, I came to love K. Rool the character long before I knew the cartoon existed. When I finally sat down to watch the cartoon, it was past the "there are no crocodiles in this game *laughs*" mark in DKCR's development. Naturally, I welcomed any exposure to the character I could get, and I found theatrical schemer K. Rool to be one of the bright spots in the otherwise trainwrecky show. So, in a nutshell, the cartoon K. Rool exacerbated my longing to see K. Rool in Smash, but that longing had already been there for years.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
LOL

The heck with the show. I love K. Rool because he's a fun, wacky, badass character with lots of potential, and my love for him only grew with that jackarse at Retro said there were no crocodiles in the game and we haven't seen K. Rool since Sluggers. :p Seriously though, that Retro dude should be fired. :p Way to rain on the parade of us K. Rool fans who've been dying to see him again.

I just re-played the original DKC with my best friend the other day. What a breath of fresh air that was to see K. Rool again after the way Ninty and their second parties treat him now. :)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The show was never that popular, was it? I at least never knew of its existence until pre-Brawl where I saw people supporting K. Rool. I've never even watched an episode of it either, so eh, I support him only because of his in-game appearances.

D

Deleted member

I knew about the Donkey Kong cartoon WAY before pre-Brawl and I barely watched one episode as a kid (like 7 or 8 years old?). Looking at it now… just what the heck is with those animations?

I support King K. Rool on the merits of having amazing moveset potential. There is so much that they can do with King K. Rool in this game with his various appearances in the games. I only played Donkey Kong Country and I enjoyed the final boss battle. The setting, the fake Kredits, THE MUSIC! I'm also disappointed with how King K. Rool isn't in the DKCR games… hopefully they can end it with him being the villain in the inevitable third game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, here's a little moveset. Not any changes at all, just seeing what you guys think.

B: Blunderbuss
K. Rool shoots a Kannonball out of his Blunderbuss. It can be charged to go farther, but if charged too long, the Blunderbuss will explode in K. Rool's face, dealing himself damage.

Side B: Krown Boomerang
No explanation needed really.

Up B: HeliKopter Pack
K. Rool pulls out his HeliKopter pack from DKC3 and uses it to recover. Also does a very minimal amount of damage if someone happens to hit the propeller.

Down B: Krusha Krush
The might king jumps up into the air, and crashes down with such force that a shockwave is produced on the ground.

Final Smash: The End?
King K. Rool falls to the ground, seemingly defeated, as the Kredits roll. Suddenly, K. Rool hops back up and jumps uncontrollably back and forth around the stage, as Kannonballs fall from the sky.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Being a K. Rool fanboy, I would be honored to be added to the support list. I'll be back to post some more stuff. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One thing I always noticed about K.Rool's Melee throphy is how battle-ready the King looks on it.

Anyone seeing this as a battle stance of sorts? I always did. I think I began to like the idea of King K.Rool becoming playable ever since then. Of course I was mostly upset at that time that Diddy was nowhere to be found, but I still always considered King K.Rool as a good candidate for a 3rd DKC character. It just came natural with his role in DK64. Like Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time, I at that time always thought it was unfair that DK64 got so little content in Melee.

But y'know, looking at this exact picture again really sparks the same interesst again, now that DKC is arguebly even more in the picture these days than it was in the late N64 era. Just hope that the King's popularity warrants his inclusion this time! Dixie would be well received here, but I would always feel let down if King K.Rool wouldn't get in this game, and would miss a great chance of getting a big well needed revival.

Hence he's my most wanted supported character for this game. He needs the exposure! And seeing Retro took a lot of inspiration from Diddy's abilities in Brawl for Returns, and now Tropical Freeze, just imagine what King K.Rool's influence would be? I think it's only natural that after wanting Diddy in for so long, King K.Rool should be the next I should actively support.

D

Deleted member

One thing I always noticed about K.Rool's Melee throphy is how battle-ready the King looks on it.

Anyone seeing this as a battle stance of sorts? I always did. I think I began to like the idea of King K.Rool becoming playable ever since then. Of course I was mostly upset at that time that Diddy was nowhere to be found, but I still always considered King K.Rool as a good candidate for a 3rd DKC character. It just came natural with his role in DK64. Like Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time, I at that time always thought it was unfair that DK64 got so little content in Melee.

But y'know, looking at this exact picture again really sparks the same interesst again, now that DKC is arguebly even more in the picture these days than it was in the late N64 era. Just hope that the King's popularity warrants his inclusion this time! Dixie would be well received here, but I would always feel let down if King K.Rool wouldn't get in this game, and would miss a great chance of getting a big well needed revival.

Hence he's my most wanted supported character for this game. He needs the exposure! And seeing Retro took a lot of inspiration from Diddy's abilities in Brawl for Returns, and now Tropical Freeze, just imagine what King K.Rool's influence would be? I think it's only natural that after wanting Diddy in for so long, King K.Rool should be the next I should actively support.
That Trophy stance reminds me of this:

and this:

I felt as though that Dixie Kong or King K. Rool would be the best option for a 3rd Donkey Kong rep. I was really confused as to why Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong's famous sidekick, was nowhere to be found in Melee and why he wasn't playable (as well as Wario).

I think that King K. Rool's and Dixie Kong's inclusions would be well-received, but I think that King K. Rool would be the better option as I believe that excluding King K. Rool would be one of the biggest missed opportunities. (along with not bringing back Mewtwo) I'm more confident in King K. Rool than Dixie Kong for his popularity alone and the amount of requests he has is absolutely incredible.

Speaking of King K. Rool's exclusion being a missed opportunity, not only would it be a missed opportunity for Sakurai and the developers for SSB4, but also to Retro. SSB4 would re-introduce King K. Rool to the audience and his popularity would influence Retro to make King K. Rool and the Kremlings the villains again for their third game. I BELIEVE that this will happen as they know how popular the Kremlings are. The Tikis and Vikings will never truly have the influence or popularity that the Kremlings and King K. Rool have in the Donkey Kong franchise… especially when Tiki Tong was just a generic hand boss that has been seen in numerous other games. (INCLUDING Super Smash Bros.)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I admit, I get a tad nervous when I read K. Rool's Melee trophy description. "It says he fits the evil boss mold nicely. Did Sakurai write that? Does that mean Sakurai finds him generic? And...and that would fit with that one GameFAQs leaker who said K. Rool was low priority for not bringing anything unique. You know, WiiULuv, who despite being the absolute sleaziest leaker out there due to a guy with the same username making false E3 leaks exactly one year before his SSB4 postings, hasn't technically been proven wrong yet?"

That's just me getting inside my own head, though. K. Rool's trophy itself is pretty great for its time, and it's nice to see it mention both his comical nature and his (smaller at the time) fanbase as well. I remember I was really surprised back in the day that Diddy didn't have a trophy of his own, but that probably came down to him being among the Rare-designed trophies that were designed, but dropped from the game last-minute, according to (I believe) one of the Stamper Bros. in an interview.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
BKupa666, I know exactly what you mean. Sakurai stating that K. Rool "Fits the evil boss mold quite nicely" could mean he thinks K. Rool would be better left out of the roster. Speculating is just speculating, I know, but considering the fact that his trophy mentions a lot about him being "an old bumbler" could mean Sakurai has no thoughts on K. Rool being featured in the next Smash. :(

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
K. Rool really does need the exposure a playable appearance would bring. But I mostly think that that exposure would be directed toward Nintendo itself. The fans still love and remember K. Rool. It's Nintendo that needs to remember him. If he got into Smash, that would practically guarantee that Nintendo/Retro would stop ignoring him, since the consumers would then go on to expect to see more of him (a la Diddy and Pit after Brawl). And that reminds me: Where's my new Ice Climber game, Nintendo? Stop leaving me hanging.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I know! If they could do it with Kid Icarus, they can do it with Ice Climbers. But let's not get off topic! Yes, K. Rool has been absent for so many long years, and it makes me wonder what could possibly be wrong with having K. Rool present in the DK series. Is he just gonna end up forgotten? Like so many other Nintendo characters, I have seen this happen before. Wart appeared in Super Mario Bros. 2, and then just disappeared seemingly. And will the same fall on K. Rool? Well, I guess all we can do is show as much support as possible. :urg:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I always just thought the "fits the evil boss mold quite nicely" just meant Sakurai thought he was a good villain.

I mean, he'd probably say the same for Bowser or Ridley.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...True, true, but I can't help but wonder if that has a connection to why K. Rool wasn't in Brawl... :surprised:

D

Deleted member

"Fits the evil boss mold nicely".

In other words, he's a fat jerk that gives you a truckload of paperwork to file by the end of the day while he sits on his ass in his fancy office chair smoking a cigar all day.

EDIT: Made it more down to earth "corrupt corporate executive" and less "Satanic slave driver".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be, a corrupt corporate executive is pretty much a Satanic slave driver...

I also don't think Sakurai thinks of K.Rool as generic.

D

Deleted member

My example was probably over the top, though.
I originally said "that makes you work permanent overtime and your payment is by seconds you have to live."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

In other words, he's a fat jerk that makes you work overtime where you're paid with seconds to live.

In other words, he's a fat jerk that makes gives you a truckload of paperwork to file by the end of the day.

EDIT: Made it more down to earth "corrupt corporate executive" and less "Satanic slave driver".
Hm. Not bad, Golden. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Lol, I forgot the other changes I made.

Like adding the "while sitting on his ass" part. :laugh:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I made a moveset for K. Rool. :bee: (I know, it's not very different than anyone else)

Neutral Special: Krown Boomerang
K. Rool take his Krown and throws it out like a boomerang. It can also be directed in a certain direction. Does 4% damage to opponents and has poor knockback.

Side Special: Kannonball
K. Rool takes out his blunderbuss and shoots a large Kannonball. It can also be charged up similarly to Diddy Kong's neutral special, but if charged for too long, the blunderbuss will explode, leaving K. Rool vulnerable for a few seconds. Does up to 14% damage to opponents if charged perfectly and has good knockback.

Up Special: HeliKopter Pack
The Kremling King's HeliKopter pack appears over his head (out of nowhere seemingly), and he jumps up and grabs on to it by it's bottom and flys up a long distance. (Works a lot like Snake's up special) If opponents are caught in the propellor, it does rapid 1% damage to opponents.

Down Special: Electricity Field
The Kremling takes out a small button. He presses the button, making a small field of electricity appear under his feet. He then quickly puts the button away. Does 11% damage to opponents and has an electricity effect with good knockback.

Side Smash: Chest Ram
K. Rool sticks his chest out and rams opponents. Does 15% damage to opponents when fully charged with great knockback.

Up Smash: Blunderbuss Swipe
The Kremling King takes out his blunderbuss and swipes it above his head quickly. Does 16% damage to opponents when fully charged with fantastic knockback.

Down Smash: K. Rool Bomber
K. Rool leaps up in the air a short distance and comes crashing down on his butt. Does 17% damage to opponents when fully charged with great knockback.

Final Smash: K. Rool Beatdown
King K. Rool calls upon his Kannonballs, where they then come raining down on the stage. (He is also invincible while doing so) Each Kannonball does 13% damage to opponents with great knockback. After five seconds, K. Rool will call upon the Kremlings, and a stampede of them will come running across the screen. (The Kannonballs also stop falling) The stampede does 22% damage with tremendous knockback.

Hope you guys liked it! I'll be editing this moveset often. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What the heck?! Why did it post two of my post...? :confused:
Tip: Never click the "Post Reply" button more than once.

If you get the message that you have to wait 20 seconds, you can be sure that the message was posted. Just refresh the page then.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

In other words, he's a fat jerk that gives you a truckload of paperwork to file by the end of the day while he sits on his *** in his fancy office chair smoking a cigar all day.

Okay, K. Rool's next antagonist appearance should have him take on the persona of a corrupt corporate executive. Bonus points if he's a money lender with the pseudonym "Ebenezer Skroolge".

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also for some reason, I want K. Rool to have characteristics of a wrestler. Like say, a pile driver and a suplex for throws.

Top Bottom