• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Welshy91

Smash Ace
What if his stage is the boxing ring? Can't forget DK64 people. Srsly tho, Gangplank Galleon would be downright swell.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wonder how much (if any) the Baron alter ego would influence a playable K. Rool.

I think this largely depends on wether Dixie becomes playable or not.

Cause in DKC canon, one could argue that DK beat King K.Rool, Diddy beat Kaptain K.Rool, and Dixie beat Baron K.Roolenstein.

This would make an awesome Event Match to now we're talking.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I think this largely depends on wether Dixie becomes playable or not.

Cause in DKC canon, one could argue that DK beat King K.Rool, Diddy beat Kaptain K.Rool, and Dixie beat Baron K.Roolenstein.

This would make an awesome Event Match to now we're talking.
Now I want 3v3 matches.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know why, but I'm starting to think that King K. Rool may be the secret playable character in Tropical Freeze. That would surely be a surprise, considering that no one would expect K. Rool to play a protagonistic role.

This might also help K. Rool get back into the spotlight.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I don't know why, but I'm starting to think that King K. Rool may be the secret playable character in Tropical Freeze. That would surely be a surprise, considering that no one would expect K. Rool to play a protagonistic role.

Isn't the final playable character confirmed to be a Kong?

?????????????

Smash Master
Isn't the final playable character confirmed to be a Kong?
As far as I know, no.

I just listened to the Developer Direct, where they mentioned the 4th character, and all that was said "one OTHER character I can't talk about yet."

But I don't know if anything else has been said since then.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

That would be amazing.
I'm sure that if K.Rool is the other character,he will be an obvious choice for Smash 4.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At the very least, I think the 4th playable character will be a heavier character like Donkey Kong, so it COULD be K.Rool. Not too sure about that though.

I mean think about it. They have two smaller character, and 1 larger. It would only make sense to have 2 of each if you ask me.

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually, given the wording, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually DID turn out to be K. Rool. If it was another Kong, why hide it?

Unless it was something really out there. Like Cranky. Or an OC.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
As far as I know, no.

I just listened to the Developer Direct, where they mentioned the 4th character, and all that was said "one OTHER character I can't talk about yet."

But I don't know if anything else has been said since then.
We've heard nothing about it so far.
Found the interview where Kensuke Tanabe said: "We’re thinking that we’ll probably add one more character. So we’ll invite you to go ahead and take your best guess as to which Kong you think is going to join us."

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/wiiu/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-interview-character-4-and-more/

Seeing how the first level starts out with you coming out of a crashed airplane, I'm going to bet my shiny nickle that the fourth playable character will be Funky.

?????????????

Smash Master
Found the interview where Kensuke Tanabe said: "We’re thinking that we’ll probably add one more character. So we’ll invite you to go ahead and take your best guess as to which Kong you think is going to join us."

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/wiiu/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-interview-character-4-and-more/

Seeing how the first level starts out with you coming out of a crashed airplane, I'm going to bet my shiny nickle that the fourth playable character will be Funky.
Hm. Hadn't seen that interview. Could be, then.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lanky Kong please. All the badassery in the world demands it!

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Lanky Kong please. All the badassery in the world demands it!

I actually wouldn't be surprised. Seeing how Lanky Kong was (and still is to an extent) incredibly popular (which still boggles my mind to this day), I could see Retro capitalizing on that and using his long arms for interesting gameplay mechanics. However, the most obvious choice is still Funky, IMHO.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why you doubt Lanky's popularity? As far as I know, he's the most 'acceptable' new Kong out of the 3 new Kongs in DK64. Tiny was an obvious Dixie replacement, and Chunky was made with Kiddy in mind. Many also thought Chunky was too slow, and his powers should've been used for Donkey Kong instead.

Also, he's got no style, nor grace, but an amazingly funny face.

Doing handstands when you need to is also very... handy.

And he's even stretching his arms out, just for YOU!

Man, how can you NOT love Lanky?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Why you doubt Lanky's popularity? As far as I know, he's the most 'acceptable' new Kong out of the 3 new Kongs in DK64. Tiny was an obvious Dixie replacement, and Chunky was made with Kiddy in mind. Many also thought Chunky was too slow, and his powers should've been used for Donkey Kong instead.

Also, he's got no style, nor grace, but an amazingly funny face.

Doing handstands when you need to is also very... handy.

And he's even stretching his arms out, just for YOU!

Man, how can you NOT love Lanky?
Hah.

It's not that I dislike Lanky. He is certainly better than Tiny and Chunky (who should have just been Dixie and Kiddy). However, compared to DK, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky, Funky, etc. I just don't think he warrants the amount of love that he gets.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still think Lanky is the most likely to appear as the 4th Kong. Kiddy is also a big possibility, but I think everyone just prefers to think they sold him to a zoo or something. Lanky can do things no other Kong can, so that's a very big reason to add him instead of the others.

?????????????

Smash Master
On that note...what is Dixie adding that Diddy can't do?

I would say the ponytail, but Diddy has a jetpack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Hair grabs and hair spins mostly. She also lacks a tail, so Diddy could have a few more moves with his tail (as he should) to make him differ from Dixie more. And yes, there's also the jetpack for Diddy, the fact that Diddy can have two Peanut Popguns, and Dixie can do the Ponytail Swirl plus potentially glide?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

In Smash? Basically Yoshi's tail attacks, just with her hair, and that's depending on how far Sakurai diversifies her from Diddy, because she could easily be a direct clone as well.

I've heard such conflicting reports on Tropical Freeze's fourth character...You have the Developer Direct, where it's claimed that it's just "one OTHER character," then you have Tanabe referring to it, rightly or potentially wrongly, as a Kong. I also remember a GameFAQs thread regarding a conversation a user had with one of the demo workers, who allegedly all but revealed that the fourth character would ride on DK's back. Whatever the character is, I don't think it influences much of anything; it being K. Rool would remove all doubt from K. Rool being a likely Smash candidate, but he's likely enough as it is the way I look at it, and it being another Kong would lead to a finite obsession over that Kong being a shoo-in, until the relevance crew finds a juicier target.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Let's not forget that characters probably won't be chosen based on their past abilities. They created that new gumball gun for Dixie, so there's no reason to think they won't just do something similar with one of the other Kongs. Kiddy may not offer anything unique based on his past appearance, but that wouldn't stop Retro from giving him a random new ability.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
The K. in K. Rool actually stands for Kong, thus allowing K. Rool to be the fourth playable character in Tropical Freeze

?????????????

Smash Master
The K. in K. Rool actually stands for Kong, thus allowing K. Rool to be the fourth playable character in Tropical Freeze
Of course! That's why he hates the Kongs so much. He can't use his first name because it's confusing and people would get them mixed up.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Or maybe Donkey Kong inherited the precious hoard of bananas while K. Rool was ostracized for his appearance and was left with nothing, making him grow to resent his old family!

brb writing fanfiction

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Is it weird that he'd be somewhat more likely to be the fourth character?
Arguable. You have Tanabe at one of the demos claiming that there aren't Kremlings in the game "this time," and if you assume he's lying (which he hasn't based on DKCR's precedent, but let's play the scenario), K. Rool could fit into either role depending on what's wanted out of him. Putting him as the fourth character sets him up to be a second heavyweight character to balance out the two lightweight ones (though this balance is far from a guaranteed thing), and one that makes sense in an Enemy Mine scenario and as a hidden fourth 'surprise' character. Putting him as the main villain allows for "Viking K. Rool" and fits in with his background of being a seafaring pirate leader, while offering a shock reveal that you definitely won't get with a Giant Walrus/Polar Bear/Yeti ruler in his place.

Of course, at this point, I'm expecting just Funky Kong as character #4 and Generic Giant Arctic Animal Who Shares K. Rool's Mannerisms But Is Not Him as the final boss, but am wholly open to being pleasantly surprised either way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I honestly doubt K.Rool cause of the 'Player 1 can ONLY be Donkey Kong' thing the Returns series has going on... It seems like every other character thusfar is just a secondary role, acting more like a playable powerup to DK than anything else. Basically, Diddy and Dixie only serve purpose for their abilities, Diddy: Rocket Barrel, Dixie: Helicopter Spin. As sad as this seems to be, it looks like the 4th character will be nothing more but another piggybag riding 'powerup' for DK. As I doubt they are gonna programm an AI just for K.Rool to follow you around in 1 Player mode, nor do I think Retro would make King K.Rool a 2 Player - only character.

Yes, I have some certain beef with the new tag team system of Retro. I really miss Rare's old tagteam. I wanna switch between lead Kongs. Well no, that's a lie... As I personally just wanna play the whole game as Diddy, like I did in SNES DKC1 and DKC2, but I really don't understand why Retro focusses only on Donkey Kong while not giving him any special ability of sorts.

I understand Donkey Kong himself needs to stand in a more positive light after being gone for so long out of the spotlight, but it's kind of dishearting for a SNES DKC fan like I to see Diddy being diminished so due to this. Diddy and Dixie are easily the most popular Kongs after all.

Top Bottom