• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

New question: do you guys think K. Rool should use minions at all within his moveset? It's been suggested that he bring out Klaptraps, as in DK64, and one of Crusade's drafted movesets had him summoning Kritters. Both could be unique, but might also infringe on Dedede's territory a tad...

:phone:
Trust me in that the Kritter thing will not be done for Crusade.

But yes, I have pondered the usage of Klap Traps, and honestly, if they act like how they do in the games (as in, walk back and forth on a platform while chomping away), they can be very different from the Waddle Dee Toss.

(Also, in a moveset I have yet to post on the Crusade forums to go with my newer voice clips, he tosses Klap Traps for a Down Special)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have no doubt that Klaptraps could be unique summons for K. Rool, rather, I think it would change K. Rool's characterization somewhat. By bringing out minions to help fight his battles, he becomes more of a "lazy king" archetype than one who sprints and bounds around actively to attack.

In battle, I imagine the Klaptraps would either patrol a set area, or would latch onto opponents to bog them down, like slower, more damaging Pikmin.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yknow, that idea about them latching on and slowing down enemies has crazy potential, and may just be my new favorite Down-B choice. Although I DO think a ground-pound shockwave is more likely.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As long as King Rool, utilizes his musket I'm fine with everything else. There can even be a 10% chance that the swrily canon shot will fire with increased damage.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Damn it looks weird...anyway, any ideas of the role the King could have in the new adventure mode? He teaming up with Bowser for great justice!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As long as King Rool, utilizes his musket I'm fine with everything else. There can even be a 10% chance that the swrily canon shot will fire with increased damage.

It's a blunderbuss, not a musket

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna second the belly laugh one, ALTHOUGH, if they don't use it as a taunt, he could just do his crowd wave and "YEAH! THANK YOU!" when idle. It'd totally work.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as he's an evil genious insane BAMF, it'll work.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Having a "Playing Dead" taunt or enterance would be pretty cool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Playing "dead" is also an option for a unique crouch, since there aren't too many of those out there, aside from Dedede's. And the BAMF part is basically given, of course.

I found this Crocodile Cacophony mix the other day, and though I'm not a Brony in the slightest, this remix is basically what I'd give K. Rool as theme music for his epic debut.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I *am* a brony, and that's an insanely good mix I hadn't happen across...somehow. How'd that even happen? It would actually be really interesting if in Smash 4, like they did with MK, they give every character unique victory themes based on a general series theme.

Some part of this would be awesome, but for the typical DK victory theme, would you make K. Rool's industrialized or metal, or even pirate? I feel like Diddy's being metal works, soo...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
T'is a shame. I've been a brony for about a year now and I'm just now hearing that remix. It's really good. Props to the creator. Mixing Discord, This Day Aria, and K. Rool's theme works surprisingly well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I *am* a brony, and that's an insanely good mix I hadn't happen across...somehow. How'd that even happen? It would actually be really interesting if in Smash 4, like they did with MK, they give every character unique victory themes based on a general series theme.

Some part of this would be awesome, but for the typical DK victory theme, would you make K. Rool's industrialized or metal, or even pirate? I feel like Diddy's being metal works, soo...
I choose Reggae. Why? Cause I like it. And I don't really like metal. :D

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Shame! I love metal, but I still feel like it fits Diddy, especially since that was his genre in DK64, and his character has so much inspiration from that. K. Rool however...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think hip hop would suit Diddy best, see his boom box. ;) Drums and electric guitar should also be featured.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Meta Knight's precedent carries over the SSB4, we're getting the same victory jingle for all characters within a series, just orchestrated differently. In K. Rool's case, maybe dramatic orchestra could work, kind of like the opening to Welcome to Crocodile Isle? Anything reminiscent of Gangplank Galleon would fit in just as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Think hip hop would suit Diddy best, see his boom box. ;) Drums and electric guitar should also be featured.
A good point! For some reason the DKC2 victory theme slipped my mind...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As we get closer to E3, another thing I've been wondering is, if K. Rool were to show up in the trailer, would he have to be shown alongside Donkey Kong, the protagonist of his series, or could he appear alone?

D

Deleted member

Perhaps the Klaptrap can furious bite on its opponent and different types of Klaptraps can perform different variation of attacks.
As we get closer to E3, another thing I've been wondering is, if K. Rool were to show up in the trailer, would he have to be shown alongside Donkey Kong, the protagonist of his series, or could he appear alone?
K. Rool would most likely show with Donkey Kong being in as well. I'd think K. Rool would feel out of place if he were confirmed before Donkey Kong did. I could see him being confirmed before Diddy Kong, but that's about it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think people who may have lost touch with our favorite scaly overlord would better recognize him alongside DK, so he may not appear in the E3 trailer unless DK does as well. However, only time will tell! I still like the idea that he comes in on a ship and starts blasting...things, leading to crazy trailer shenanigans ala Brawl's trailer, but...yes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I guess the trailer stuff also depends on whether the trailer is modeled after Brawl's or Melee's. the former seems a whole lot more likely, but you never know.

Anyways, Swampasaur sent me this K. Rool essay to post a while ago. I apologize for the delay in getting it up, but here it is (and I'll add it to the OP as soon as I get on my computer).

Welcome to my series of potential character essays. Ever hear a character suggestion for SSB4 and think "Who the heck is this guy?" These essays are for you. These essays will go over the history of the character, the abilities of the character, arguments for and against the character and finally a potential move set. I hope to introduce people to likely newcomers to SSB4 and to help people learn a bit more about characters they already knew. So let's get into the fray! Feel free to comment or even suggest characters if you like. I'm open to suggestions as long as I have time to write.

Essay 2:

Name: King K.Rool

Series: Donkey Kong
First Appearance: Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Character Biography:
King K. Rool is the leader of the Kremling Krew. He is the main enemy of Donkey Kong and is always trying to steal things from the Kongs. In Donkey Kong Country K.Rool and the Kremlings kidnapped Diddy Kong and stuffed him into a DK Barrel. Most importantly, they stole DK's banana hoard.

Those Krooks!

Donkey Kong frees Diddy Kong and goes on an adventure to reclaim his hoard. The duo eventually find King K. Rool on his pirate ship, the Gangplank Galleon.

The ship with its Kaptain.

K.Rool fights the Kongs but eventually collapses. The Kongs start to celebrate and credits appear on the screen (although the people written in them sound very suspicious). Suddenly, K.Rool jumps up and attempts to sucker punch the Kongs. Fortunately, the Kongs are able to trounce him once more.

In Donkey Kong Land, Cranky Kong demands that K.Rool steals the banana hoard again so that he can see if the Kong can save them on a handheld system. K.Rool is fought on a blimp in this game.

In Donkey Kong Country 2, K.Rool took up the alias Kaptain K. Rool.

Kutthroat Krocodile!

In this game, K.Rool kidnaps Donkey Kong and demands that the kongs pay the banana hoard as ransom. The kongs refuse and Diddy Kong, along with his girlfriend Dixie Kong set out to rescue their leader. The two traveled to Crocodile Isle and fight the Kaptain on the Flying Krock (the world's best named airship). During the battle Donkey Kong breaks free and uppercuts K.Rool through a window. Diddy and Dixie then explored the lost world and fought K.Rool in front of the Krocodile Kore. K.Rool falls into the core and causes it to explode, destroying Crocodile Isle. The Kaptain flees on the Galleon.

In Donkey Kong Land 2, he resurrects the island and kidnaps DK again. He is defeated in the same manner.

In Donkey Kong Country 3, the Kremling Krew got a new leader. A robotic entity named KAOS. KAOS took over the Northern Kremisphere and imprisoned the banana birds. This event and the mysterious disappearance of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong spurred Dixie Kong and her cousin Kiddy Kong to stop Kaos. The two defeat KAOS and find out that KAOS was a puppet for K.Rool. In this game K.Rool had the alias of Baron K. Roolestein.

Not really a Baron.

The two kongs fight the Baron and defeat him. This is turn, freed Donky Kong and Diddy Kong who were trapped inside KAOS being used as living batteries. The Kongs could fight the Baron one more time in a submarine if they collected all of the cogs.

In Donkey Kong Land 3, he rebuilds KAOS and challenges Dixie and Kiddy to a rematch.

In Donkey Kong 64, K.Rool has a giant robotic island built and commands the Kremling Krew to use it to attack DK Island. He planned to blast the island to smithereens with the terrible Blast-O-Matic. Unfortunately, due to the imcompetence of his krew. The island crashes and the Blast-O-Matic is damaged. To compensate for lost time, K.Rool steals Donkey Kong's golden banana hoard and kidnaps Diddy Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong and Chunky Kong. Fortunately Donkey Kong rescues the other Kongs and retrieves his banana hoard. In a last ditch effort K.Rool attempts to fire the Blast-O-Matic at the island even though it's not fully repaired yet. The Kongs stop the Blast-O-Matic but K.Rool escaped in a alligator shaped airplane. However he is stopped by K.Lumsy, a Kremling who rebelled against K.Rool. K.Lumsy crashes the plane and K.Rool fought the Kongs in a boxing ring.

Now known as King Krusha K.Rool.

With the combined power of 7 kongs K.Rool is defeated.

In DK: King of Swing, K.Rool stole all of the medals that were to be given out as awards in the Jungle Jam competition.

24 karrat gold perhaps?

He is defeated by Donkey Kong and the medals are returned.

In DK: Jungle Climber, K.Rool and some Kremlings stole five crystal coconuts from Xananab. After being discovered by Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong and Xananab, K.Rool used a portal device to flee. The Kongs track him down, but K.Rool uses to portal device to escape to Planet Platean. The Kongs track him down again and K.Rool decides to fight. He is defeated by Donkey Kong but refuses to lose this time. He uses the power of a crystal coconut and grows to a tremendous size. He is defeated one final time and taken back to earth.

Game Appearances:
Donkey Kong Country (Boss)
Donkey Kong Land (Boss)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (Boss)
Donkey Kong Land 2 (Boss)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (Boss)
Donkey Kong Land 3 (Boss)
Donkey Kong 64 (Boss)
Super Smash Bros Melee (Cameo) (Trophy)
Donkey Konga (NPC)
Donkey Kong Country GBA Remake(Boss)
Donkey Kong Country 2 GBA Remake ( Boss)
DK: King of Swing (Boss) (Unlockable Playable Character)
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA Remake (Boss)
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (Unlockable Playable Character)
DK: Jungle Climber (Boss)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Cameo) (Trophy and Sticker)
Mario Super Sluggers (Unlockable Playable Character)

K.Rool has been playable three times as of now.

Abilities:
K.Rool has sharp teeth and claws. Although he doesn't use them much, they are there. He is also incredibly athletic (despite looking chubby). He has been known to accomplish ridiculous feats of strength (such as sending Chunky Kong flying with an uppercut). He is also quite the jumper.

K.Rool usually uses some form of technology. In Donkey Kong Country he used a crown that also doubles as a boomerang. In Donkey Kong Country 2 he used a blunderbuss that could shoot out a variety of cannonballs and barrels. The blunderbuss was even able spew out fire (for a jet style charge) and various forms of gas. The wondrous machine was also able to suck things into it. In Donkey Kong Country 3, he uses a backpack with a propeller built in. This gave him the ability of flight. In DK: King of Swing he piloted a small aircraft.

Looks like Dr. Eggman's ship, doesn't it?

K.Rool has also shown to be able to teleport in Donkey Kong Country 2. Although no ones knows if this is due to technology or his own power.

In Donkey Kong 64, K.Rool was able to create shock waves by jumping and slamming into the ground.
Debate:

Reasons Why K. Rool Should Be In:
1. He's the main antagonist of a popular franchise.

Don't have to explain this, do I?

2. He's popular both in Japan and the west: K.Rool frequently shows up in character lists all over the world. Everyone seems to want him.

3. Smash needs more villains: There are several heroes in Smash Bros, but very few true villains. Give the villans some love.

Reasons Why K. Rool Should Not Be In:
1. The Donkey Kong Series doesn't need three characters: We already have DK and Diddy. We don't need any more.

2. If the Donkey Kong series got another character, it may be Dixie Kong: She's another popular choice. She was already planned to be in Brawl. She could be in the game, instead.

3. He hasn't appeared in some time: His last appearance was in 2008. He hasn't even been mentioned in quite some time. Nintendo may be trying to move on.

A terrible kalamity!

Possible Moveset:
Disclaimer! This moveset is an example and will need changing in the future. Please suggest improvements. :D
Neutral B: K.Rool takes out his blunderbuss and fires a canonball. This canon ball will send people at an upward angle and will NOT disappear when hit by someone it will continue until it fizzes out or hits a solid object.

Side B: K.Rool will toss his crown like a boomerang. This can be angled similar to Link's Boomerang.

Up B: K.Rool's propeller backpack will appear and he will float upwards. This does not do damage.

Down B: Body Slam: K.Rool will jump in the air and slam the opponent. Similar to Bowser's and Yoshi's except K.Rool will fall at an angle.

Final Smash: K.Rool will stomp on the ground and large canon balls will fall from the sky. Canon balls explode when they hit something.

Images made by Pwnagemaster67

Codec Call:
Snake: "Colonel! There's an alligator with a bloodshot eye."
Colonel: "Careful Snake. That's King K.Rool. The king of the Kremling Krew. They cause all sorts of trouble for the Kongs and he loves every minute of it."
Snake: "He doesn't seem like he's all there."
Colonel: "He's not. It's going to be difficult to fight him Snake. K.Rool is ridiculously strong and constantly uses dirty tactics to fight."
Snake: "I'm sure he won't be too difficult."
Colonel: "Just be wary if the credits pop up unexpectedly during the fight."
Snake: "Credits? Wait... He didn't.... Oh, that's just low..."

Hail to the King, baby!

I hope you enjoyed this essay. I hope I can write another one soon. Please say what you think. Are there more reasons why K.Rool should or should not be in? Did you learn something about him? Did you come up with a great moveset? Did you enjoy the essay? Comment away!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

K. Rool has just shot Little Mac with a trophy gun in SSB4's Adventure Mode, and is expressing his satisfaction.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Put me down as a K. Rool supporter. Godzilla with schizophrenia. Sounds like a blast.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
K. Rool has just shot Little Mac with a trophy gun in SSB4's Adventure Mode, and is expressing his satisfaction.
If Smash 4 has a more realistic style than Brawl, they might actually use crocodile sounds for K. Rool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I got more wonderful recolors by X Naut Shroober!

Red is based on Klump and Blue is based on Krusha. The others are original.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Been thinking about k.rool lately. Part of coming up with potential move sets involves looking at a character's physique and assuming what type of attacks they might use. If a character has claws they're likely to slash; if a character has a tail they might use it like a whip if its long enough.

I've looked at k.rool again, and I've realized something that most haven't commented on. What is it? His GOLDEN stomach. It must be some type of body armor right? It's very unique--nobody else has body armor like that on them, so what if he had a move or attack that utilizes it. Maybe he could have a special in which he stands triumphantly and bears his stomach armor. This would shield him from the attacks he's facing or minimize their damage, or they could simply give k.rool a move where he thrusts his golden gut at people.

Also have things in mind for his cape, but what do you guys think about this golden stomach idea? It's certainly unique, and would make sense for k.rool. I can expand on it if need be.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I mean we'd press the shielld button.
Edit:
I have a idea for a other use of the golden stomach: when K. Rool do his crown throw, he can like 5% of the time throw his stomach.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oh. Well if its like the way I intended and wrote above, then only the side that gets protected is k.rool's front, which is not only bad because his backside is completely vulnerable, the front side is only impervious to weak attacks. Things like smash attacks, bob-ombs and Falcon Punches sill do damage but its minimized to an extent. Compare that to standard shields and Yoshi's Egg Shield and we have an obvious flaw with K. Rool's Armor Shield, because the others have an encompassing protection while K. Rool only gets protected from one side and he still takes damage.

If you're suggesting that K. Rool gets the regular Shield Bubble while thrusting his stomach out to protect him, then the Armor Shield and its qualities are unnecessary, thanks to the attributes of a Shield Bubble. The Armor Shield idea would just be reduced to a superficial pose that K. Rool strikes when protecting himself.

TBH I don't think it's wise to let this be K. Rool's shield button. We either get a horrible shield with an obvious blind spot that doesn't fully protect against all kinds of attack strengths, or we reduce an interesting idea to a simple pose with no qualities thanks to a Shield Bubble. Y'know how Link's able to block attacks with the Hylian shield he's holding if he stands still, or how Pit's DownB has him pull out a special shield? What if those moves replaced their shield buttons? They'd either be just as ineffective or they wouldn't have the same traits they had before. That's pretty much what would happen to K. Rool.

He'd do well with a standard Shield Bubble, and if its possible, allow him to use his golden stomach as an extra form of protection using a different button, like Link and Pit.

EDIT: I like that 5% idea though. It could be stronger than the Crown Toss, and since its not a projectile, it'll be close range. Give him armor frames too, and it'll be a good surprise for K. Rool's opponents.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool throwing his own golden armor would be a funny twist, and a unique one at that, considering it's never been seen detached from him. I guess it depends on how similar his design is to Rare's model, since he lacks the golden belly in his modern one. Either way, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have at least one gut-bump attack, and potentially a few stronger belly flops as well.

The shield idea is unique enough, but having it only defend him from the front does seem rather strange, especially since he'd have to bend back quite a bit to cover the area of a regular bubble shield, and K. Rool isn't exactly flexible.

Top Bottom