• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
K. Rool has always had one underlying theme no matter what he's posing as at the time: technology. Whether he's a king, kaptain or scientist, he always has access to factories and high-tech vehicles and weapons. This obviously makes the Kremlings a natural foil to the more-in-tune-with nature Kongs.
I've always wondered (particularly if K. Rool was allowed to thrive in subsequent main series DKC titles beyond DK64) if part of the fun of K. Rool is deciding what his and his armies motif will be from game to game. I could just see an early development team with a check list discussing what idea they like best at the time, eventually using that as the theme for the next DKC installment.

-Cyborg K. Rool
-K. Rool the Kid (Cowboy Rool)
-00 Rool (Spy Rool)
-Knight Rool (Robot dragon?)
-Martial Arts K. Rool
-K. Rool once again tries to convince Donkey Kong that he is a Kremling
-Otaku K. Rool
-Baker K. Rool
-K. Rool tries to convince Donkey Kong that he is a long lost Kong
-Banker K. Rool
-K. Rool as a blue haired anime sword fighter
-Circus Ring Master K. Rool
-Communist K. Rool
-Spartan K. Rool
-Wizard K. Rool

And I'm sure there's a limitless well of ideas they could draw from I'm not thinking of. Some of those were originals, but many of those above were ideas either I or others have posted on the K. Rool speculation and support boards over the year.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've always wondered (particularly if K. Rool was allowed to thrive in subsequent main series DKC titles beyond DK64) if part of the fun of K. Rool is deciding what his and his armies motif will be from game to game. I could just see an early development team with a check list discussing what idea they like best at the time, eventually using that as the theme for the next DKC installment.

-Cyborg K. Rool
-K. Rool the Kid (Cowboy Rool)
-00 Rool (Spy Rool)
-Knight Rool (Robot dragon?)
-Martial Arts K. Rool
-K. Rool once again tries to convince Donkey Kong that he is a Kremling
-Otaku K. Rool
-Baker K. Rool
-K. Rool tries to convince Donkey Kong that he is a long lost Kong
-Banker K. Rool
-K. Rool as a blue haired anime sword fighter
-Circus Ring Master K. Rool
-Communist K. Rool
-Spartan K. Rool
-Wizard K. Rool

And I'm sure there's a limitless well of ideas they could draw from I'm not thinking of. Some of those were originals, but many of those above were ideas either I or others have posted on the K. Rool speculation and support boards over the year.
I love the banker and circus ringmaster ideas. how about K. Rool posing as a wise old man? not like Cranky, but more like this guy:
, only more evil and amphibious.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?

As for me, I surely will! Never cared much about tiers to begin with, personally.
Diddy is my forever main character. And he's pretty good. I have no problem using K.Rool as a secondary if he's bad. Gives me more fun to choose him against people I beat badly as Diddy.

Then again, K.Rool isn't even gonna enjoy as much time as DK is gonna have. DK has been a steady semi main for decades now. Not gonna give that up.

Realistically, K.Rool will be played around as much as my other secondaries; Mewtwo and Ike. That's also a lot tho. I just... really like the Kongs that much.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
In terms of a secret agent theme, I imagine that 00K would fit best. Either that or pulling a Blofeld.
You're right, 00K does sound better. I wish I had thought of it.

K. Ranky Kong would be fun too. Like a Red Riding Hood kinda deal but with filthy apes instead of a cute little girl.
I could see Donkey and Diddy (or whatever cast is playable in said game), giving each other sidelong glances that make it clear K. Rool isn't fooling anybody, but they go along with it anyway either out of necessity or just to see where he's going with his ruse. Maybe take the opportunity to mess with him, Bugs Bunny him a bit in a cutscene after every boss fight

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Because I think a DK rouge's gallery is a wonderful idea

Don't forget Cactus King. As uninspired as he is, a part of me wants him alongside Rool and Fredrik to up the villain count for DK in Smash.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
K. Rool has always had one underlying theme no matter what he's posing as at the time: technology. Whether he's a king, kaptain or scientist, he always has access to factories and high-tech vehicles and weapons. This obviously makes the Kremlings a natural foil to the more-in-tune-with nature Kongs.
Aw man, Donkey Kong Country was an allegory for colonization the entire time.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know what I'd personally like to see in Smash Bros. Ultimate? Something like this.

A showing of all the characters in Smash Bros. Ultimate, from enemies (if there are any) to Pokeball Pokemon to bosses to Assist Trophy characters to Final Smash helper characters to finally the playable characters, with some funny scenes like the Squidge running from Chomps Junior in the video (like Sonic running across the screen, only to go back the other direction with King K. Rool running after him, then K. Rool running away from Sonic as he chases him in super form). What do you guys think of the idea? I think someone should make an animation of this when the game comes out.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Don't forget Cactus King. As uninspired as he is, a part of me wants him alongside Rool and Fredrik to up the villain count for DK in Smash.
No promises but I've got my eye on something else, I know who your avatar is.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?

As for me, I surely will! Never cared much about tiers to begin with, personally.
As an avid G&W main ever since i played smash bros. Tiers mean nothing to me LOL

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Well, I‘ll be Co-maining him with Ryu (or Ken...), who‘s looking to be really good do far, so I won‘t komplain if the King ends up as a low tier.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Just coming by to say Congratulations on bringing the King back. I joined the Krew during Wii U, and was heartbroken to see DK's lack of proper representation (come on not even Dixie!) But that time has come and gone. Now I just need Dixie, and Smash will finally feel complete.

And Banjo. And Cranky.

And Funky... I'll go now.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i just came back now from millitary and... i found out king k. rool was konfirmed... i am too late to found out but extremely happy that it finally happened
i am happy that i stayed alive to see this moment i wish i was a part of the hype train :sadeyes:

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know what I'd personally like to see in Smash Bros. Ultimate? Something like this.

A showing of all the characters in Smash Bros. Ultimate, from enemies (if there are any) to Pokeball Pokemon to bosses to Assist Trophy characters to Final Smash helper characters to finally the playable characters, with some funny scenes like the Squidge running from Chomps Junior in the video (like Sonic running across the screen, only to go back the other direction with King K. Rool running after him, then K. Rool running away from Sonic as he chases him in super form). What do you guys think of the idea? I think someone should make an animation of this when the game comes out.
I think they had something somewhat similar with Mario Party 2 and 3. Would be awesome to see them try this out!

...except what can they do about characters we've yet to unlock?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
i just came back now from millitary and... i found out king k. rool was konfirmed... i am too late to found out but extremely happy that it finally happened
i am happy that i stayed alive to see this moment i wish i was a part of the hype train :sadeyes:
The hype train is still going, it ain't too late to hop on, it's going all the way to Ultimate's release.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ridley Rool, Richter, and Simon?

Look at the size of these lads SO MUCH GIRTH.

A nice respite from the anime, no offense I just need a break from it.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm gonna need Nintendo to hurry up and give me a boxart as well as release date for that K.Rool amiibo. He better be part of "Wave 2" since we know wave 1 consists of Wolf, Ridley, and Inkling. Hopefully K.Rool is wave 2 and not wave 3. I NEED IT NOW!!!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m sure this was mentioned already but I just realized there’s a in a nutshell of the K. Rool trailer

Patrick = King dedede

Fake patrick/gorilla = King K. Rool

Sandy = DK and Diddy eye popping part (ending)

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's still just so surreal to see the King we've been supporting for years now finally making the cut... just... wow.

And on the day Simon was revealed too, no less. Two of my most wanted fighters on the same day, one of which was my most wanted Nintendo character? Damn. Sakurai, you mad man.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's good to know that Retro wanted to bring K Rool into Tropical Freeze's port

Maybe we will actually get that DKCR K Rool game

I hope they are secretly working on it

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It's good to know that Retro wanted to bring K Rool into Tropical Freeze's port

Maybe we will actually get that DKCR K Rool game

I hope they are secretly working on it
It'd be kind of fun if they ran with the "Returns" theme with K. Rool in the next main series title. Something like Donkey Kong Rool Returns as the game title, with Donkey Kong seemingly crudely scribbled across with red marker, K. Rool writing his own name in the same marker on the front title, with K. Rool taking center stage on the box art, with Donkey and Diddy a little off to the side in a way that makes it clear they're still the heroes, but for this game King K. Rool takes center stage and demands all the attention. Maybe K. Rool has clearly shoved them from a position where they would have been front and center on the games cover art moments before K. Rool shoved his way in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really hope they take a lot of inspiration from DKC2, Kremling island

Dark, gritty/ grimy looking. Swamps. And with the occasional roller coaster to spice things up

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I hope K. Rool is announced for Super Mario Party this week at Gamescom!
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. From BKupa's post on how King K. Rool came back, it sounded like only Sakurai was allowed to incorporate King K. Rool in his game, with Retro Studios being denied to use the character without a reason given. Plus, putting him in Super Mario Party would take away some attention he earned from his Smash inclusion. I think King K. Rool will make a resurgance in the next few years and become an important reoccuring character again, but for now, I feel that Smash Ultimate will be the only game King K. Rool will be in this year.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool looks amazing. An actually viable super heavyweight? His mobility is incredible.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Also, if you listen closely to the end, you can tell that King K. Rool has his own victory theme. It seems to be an excerpt from Gangplank Galleon.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It was a nice touch there they did with the announcer saying King K. Rool's differently in both the U.S. and JP versions. Here it's just King K. Rool, but the way they say it in Japan is more like "King Krururu" which is essentially more like just saying King Krool. Pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom