• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I feel like with the sheer amount of tracks in this game we are bound to get at least one remix from DKC2 or 3. It could be literally any song from 2 and i'd love it. Heck i'd even love a Kong Kollege remix. But like 900 tracks is so many we are bound to get a good amount of DKC content. I am really really happy with the ones we have already with Bonus Room Blitz and the Map and the amazing Gangplank Galleon. Get a couple Tropical Freeze rips, maybe a couple returns rips and some Original trilogy remixes and I'll be one very happy player.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel like with the sheer amount of tracks in this game we are bound to get at least one remix from DKC2 or 3. It could be literally any song from 2 and i'd love it. Heck i'd even love a Kong Kollege remix. But like 900 tracks is so many we are bound to get a good amount of DKC content. I am really really happy with the ones we have already with Bonus Room Blitz and the Map and the amazing Gangplank Galleon. Get a couple Tropical Freeze rips, maybe a couple returns rips and some Original trilogy remixes and I'll be one very happy player.
Yeah, even TF rips would be fine. I would like at least one TF remix, but rips would be perfectly acceptable.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I hope that we get another DK stage that is not just Jungle themed, if only to allow a wider variety of Music tracks.

It‘d be weird to listen to stuff like fear factory, Amyss Abyss or Lockjaw‘s Saga on a stage like Jungle Japes

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
It's amazing. The vocals are awesome. It's definitely K. Rool singing once again after 18 years.

After the trailer I still preferred the Brawl version but after this Gangplank galleon definitely trumps Shipdeck 2.

Also I love that DK and Diddy also have a vocal song with the Returns vocal mix from smash 4.
Holy **** this sounds goofy af but I ****ing love it so much, unironically bumping that in my car when the full track comes out.

EDIT: On my 205th listen, this track ****ing SLAPS my dudes

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hope that we get another DK stage that is not just Jungle themed, if only to allow a wider variety of Music tracks.

It‘d be weird to listen to stuff like fear factory, Amyss Abyss or Lockjaw‘s Saga on a stage like Jungle Japes
I've been considering Sawmill Thrill. I doubt it'll happen but it'd be awesome.

75M maybe?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The song I want in Smash in some capacity is the credits concerto from the original DK Country. There is some sort of DKC song montage in Smash because I heard it during the direct it went from the bonus music to the map music, I'm hoping it closes with this

https://youtu.be/1doZCZrNwpI

Not to mention the credits concerto is the perfect song for us right now.. we did it... I would love to see a video of posts, kampaign materiel, etc. Leading up to the reveal and reaction's to the reveal. All set to this song, what a perfect way to memorialize the work that went into K. Rools return.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's a version of the song I found with an even better transition and no commentary:

Oh, this makes it sound so much better. If the rap bit is only a little part in the middle, it's not that overwhelming. The whole intro bit from the trailer is epic, and I love the key change after the rap bit.

Please don't make me grind for CDs before I can start assigning music to all of my stages!

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Wait I just had a thought. Since any song from a series can play on any stage from that series, can we assume that songs from one series CAN'T play on stages from a DIFFERENT series? Because if we're not getting a proper Gangplank Galleon stage and I can't blast Gangplank Galleon at full volume on Pirate Ship, we're gonna have a serious problem.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait I just had a thought. Since any song from a series can play on any stage from that series, can we assume that songs from one series CAN'T play on stages from a DIFFERENT series? Because if we're not getting a proper Gangplank Galleon stage and I can't blast Gangplank Galleon at full volume on Pirate Ship, we're gonna have a serious problem.
Deos bring up an interesting point for those sub-series which only have a song or two - Norfair always had a song from Golden Sun, so is that now off the stage? Unfortunate, since that one fit really well with Norfair.

I hope we're getting a good Gangplank stage, but Pirate Ship for me can not get Gangplank Galleon. That stage is reserved for the Great Sea theme (sidenote - why is the Windwaker title not there?)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Deos bring up an interesting point for those sub-series which only have a song or two - Norfair always had a song from Golden Sun, so is that now off the stage? Unfortunate, since that one fit really well with Norfair.

I hope we're getting a good Gangplank stage, but Pirate Ship for me can not get Gangplank Galleon. That stage is reserved for the Great Sea theme (sidenote - why is the Windwaker title not there?)
Wind Waker title might be there now with how much music we've gotta be getting this time.

But yeah I'm super optimistic about GS atm. However, it should be noted that franchises without a stage or have only one game are all in Other. I assume that music can be used in any other stages.

Its definitely known that Isaac Battle Theme is no longer on Norfair. I'm absolutely certain music from past games will be back now, so that's something of note.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I never thought I'd wake up to later come across King K. Rool's remix being uploaded on the website. I listened to the remix and it is infinitely marvelous! I did search for a possible full version of the theme and this was the best one I could find, both the trailer portion and the uploaded one but there's SFX in it from the trailer part.

I fully expect something like this in the full game when it comes out.
https://youtu.be/q1_I7PbmORw
==================================
Edit: Well, just realized this was already linked. I seriously just love it!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know I'm not suppose to be as pessimistic as before but I bet the one song remix we get for DKC3 will be "Wrinkly 64". :troll:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I never thought I'd wake up to later come across King K. Rool's remix being uploaded on the website. I listened to the remix and it is infinitely marvelous! I did search for a possible full version of the theme and this was the best one I could find, both the trailer portion and the uploaded one but there's SFX in it from the trailer part.

I fully expect something like this in the full game when it comes out.
https://youtu.be/q1_I7PbmORw
==================================
Edit: Well, just realized this was already linked. I seriously just love it!
That remix is so ****ing lit. It really excite me a lot. It's really hype!

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
Is it me or the K.Rool smiley (and any other newcomer from the latest Nintendo Direct) are invisible?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I want to see what Sakurai has to say about the alternate costumes. I feel like the full pirate outfit would still work with the counter. Maybe DLC character skins will be a thing? Did Ridley get his own stage? I don't remember. He got Meta Ridley though. I am perfectly happy with what we have, just always expected the King to arrive on his famous ship of course! :)

StormC

Smash Hero
I want to see what Sakurai has to say about the alternate costumes. I feel like the full pirate outfit would still work with the counter. Maybe DLC character skins will be a thing? Did Ridley get his own stage? I don't remember. He got Meta Ridley though. I am perfectly happy with what we have, just always expected the King to arrive on his famous ship of course! :)
Characters rarely get stages for themselves instead of their franchise. Halberd is one of the few exceptions. Bowser still doesn't have his castle as his own stage after 20 years, so I always thought Gangplank Galleon was a bit of a pipe dream.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm really happy that K. Rool actually makes crocodile like roars instead of the goofy voice he had in the baseball game, matches more with his original voice from DKC

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Characters rarely get stages for themselves instead of their franchise. Halberd is one of the few exceptions. Bowser still doesn't have his castle as his own stage after 20 years, so I always thought Gangplank Galleon was a bit of a pipe dream.
Still somewhat optimistic we might get a TF stage. Even if that is highly questionable.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What if the Jungle Hijinx stage was repurposed into a TF stage, so the same thing, but on ice and without the background gimmick to avoid conflicting with Stage Morph?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What if the Jungle Hijinx stage was repurposed into a TF stage, so the same thing, but on ice and without the background gimmick to avoid conflicting with Stage Morph?
People have been suggesting that idea for a while (renaming Jungle Hijinxs to Homecoming Hijinxs and freezing it over), but tbh, at that point with the amount of effort required its basically a new stage already anyway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
BKupa666 BKupa666 Earlier when you posted your reflective essay on the inclusion of K. Rool you mentioned that someone told you that the "Powers That Be" at Nintendo weren't aware of his popularity and were taken by surprise when he did so well in the ballot. Then you said you were clued in that those same powers are going to work to do more with The King in future projects.

Can you speak more to that? Have you been hinted any other information?
I just made a longer write-up in this thread here. I'm going to copypaste the remarks below so people in this thread can read them too.

This is a transcript of part of the latest Kongversation, with comments from DK Vine co-founder Hyle Russell. The comments have been sort of alluded to over the past few days in the K. Rool social thread and across various Discord channels, so I wanted to throw the entirety of the remarks up there and let you all evaluate for yourselves. I can't speak to every minute thing Mr. Throat has ever shared, but I can vouch for Hyle as a trustworthy guy who has long disliked the propagation of nonsense from various fake "leakers," and he says he got tipped off about the Tropical Freeze port before its announcement.

"So, as you know, I do have an informal source within Nintendo, call him 'DAVE THROAT,' and he, or she or it or nebulous shadow creature, first reached out to us at E3 2015, when we were out at E3 for the first time, and has since made contact every now and again. Did not get anything from Dave Throat about K. Rool in Smash, so I was completely taken aback by this, but I did get contacted by Dave Throat today [August 8], and basically, just a brief little, I guess, summary of how this came to be, K. Rool in Smash.

I'm not going to read it verbatim, but basically, so, regardless of the ballot, the Smash Ballot back in 2014 [2015], K. Rool was never going to be in the game then. They basically were using the Smash Ballot as, basically to get the fans to feel like they had some input, to gauge what the fans actually wanted, but actually they were more predictive about what they thought the fans wanted. So things like Bayonetta were already in the works before the Smash Ballot was finalized. And so that's why they had to do such loose justification with Bayonetta's reveal and say 'Oh, she was near the top of the list in Europe or somewhere, I dunno.'

They were completely taken aback by the amount of support K. Rool got, completely blew them away. They had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.' But that's why we got K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It was the Kremling Kampaigners, it was the fans, it was everybody listening to this that filled out that goddamn ballot, who made campaign and petition and made yourself vocally heard. It was because of you."

*brief filler in which Hyle says how awesome he thinks that is*

"And also, there have been other parties within Nintendo that have wanted to bring K. Rool back before this, but people have shut them down before this point, and apparently now that is going to change."

So yeah, this is not to say K. Rool WON the ballot, as has been spread as misinformation in some circles, but his final performance was extraordinary enough to send reverberations through Nintendo, most importantly -apparently- including Nintendo of Japan.

To shed further light, per Hyle, per his sources (Mr. Throat or otherwise), K. Rool's hiatus boiled down to "internal apathy and factional disagreements." I have since been able to independently confirm through two sources that one of the parties that wanted to bring back K. Rool sooner was none other than Retro Studios. They were interested in putting K. Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port in some capacity, but were denied with no reasoning given. This reportedly was because after the ballot Sakurai had personally called dibs on reviving the character himself.

Personally speaking, I'm glad he did. I already think Ultimate K. Rool is a perfect representation, and a brilliant new stage in the character's evolution. More importantly, having K. Rool reappear first as a secret final boss in a(n admittedly amazing) port of a Wii U game just wouldn't have the same impact as him coming aboard in maybe -the- highest-profile gaming crossover there is, one that will become one of, if not THE top seller on Switch. And from our perspective, it leaves zero doubt as to our role in bringing him back, in a way that the relevance-minded would spin if he showed up in TF Switch, even if (like with Ridley and Samus Returns) he got put on the design document years beforehand.

So yeah. The higher-ups needed an unmistakable demonstration of support for K. Rool to consider bringing him back, and you Kutthroats pulled out all the stops with the ballot to make that happen. This is likely going to remain an under-reported success story Smash/DK fans have had, and others might cast aspersions if they don't like some of the details, but you all know what you did, and can pat yourselves on the back proud of it. Mission akkomplished.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Possible lyrics I've seen floating around? People with headphones can compare, as they're apparently easier to understand if you use them.

You can do it, whelp.
You can claw 'im, gnaw 'im, stone 'im, beat 'im.
I'll do this with my mind, you just obey ME!

And do you stammer, stammer seein' my claw?
You better star me, steam me, see me, scrub me, feed me my cod.

You ready already, or wheezy oh?
And bestial crushin', easy though.
And total-ly the very top
D N A, now!

You need a shanty, shanty, shanty: a song.
You're an extremely scary regent that conquers us all,
You go
If this is accurate, it confirms my theory of the rap segment being K. Rool dissing the Kongs, ala Sonic Mania, and that's awesome.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I just made a longer write-up in this thread here. I'm going to copypaste the remarks below so people in this thread can read them too.
That is something I have been wanting to hear since we laid eyes on the Mii Costume. Sakurai wanted to bring K. Rool back himself?! Wow... That is Krazy. Everybody pat yourselves on the back and realize without any doubts that we accomplished this together with #KrocTheVote under our Kremling Kommander BKupa666 BKupa666 !!!

*rounds of applause*

#KrocTheVote.jpg

Last edited:

Scraps69

Smash Rookie
As someone from DKVine we are bloody thrilled with K Rools inclusion in Smash and how lovingly he, his moves, his introduction and his music was created. Well done Kampaigners!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The ballot really was the magic ticket we needed to getting our voices heard. It figures, there really was no way that mii costume was made from the ground up. The Kutthroats made the difference needed. I'm sure there will be people who will try and deny it, but everyone here who voted should know that the time they took to fill out that form was meaningful, every second. Even if K. Rool didn't win because a more mainstream character like Inkling surpassed him, I damn well believe the Kutthroats fought the hardest for him to be in.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Man, now I want to see what Retro would've done with K. Rool in Tropical Freeze! The King needed to be a Smash Bros bombshell but I hope we can maybe get a DLC update to TF on Switch including him as a final final boss :ultkrool:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Didn't post here since right after the direct, but I'm just here to say that I'm most definitely playing the living crap out of of K. Rool and learn him inside out, though Wolf will be my boy forever. But I need a second in Kommand and who better than a member of my holy trinity of my most wanted Smash newcomers!

As for his moveset, he definitely looks interesting, and seems to be somewhat of a heavyweight zoner. And all his abilities from the DKC SNES trilogy and DK64 are represented to a tee, which makes me even more submerged in hype!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
One week...

It's been one week since history was made. The day K. Rool made his grand return, fitting for the King himself. I've been a fan of King K. Rool ever since my childhood back in the 1990s. I grew up with the DK series. My older brother and I didn't own a SNES when we were kids, but we did play DKC as a neighbor's place. Though we both had Game Boy Pockets back then and we owned the Donkey Kong Land series. That is where I first encountered K. Rool in the final boss fight in the city level of DKL 1. He was pretty fast and agile in that fight. The game that stood out in terms of K. Rool's personality was DK 64. That feeling when you hear that breathing and his Darth Vaderesque voice was truly memorable. That is where I became a big fan of the King.

Fast forward to the Brawl days, I was excited to see Diddy playable in Smash and that where I started to dream of having K. Rool in Smash. Then came the Smash 4 speculation days, what a time that was. One of the reasons I signed up for a Smashboards account was because of K. Rool himself. I found many others who are big fans of K. Rool like I was. Four years ago, I became a Kutthroat and I am grateful for that. We have been through tough times during that period when the roster was revealed and no K. Rool. I was pretty disappointed at that time. Then came the DLC announcement which renewed hope in the Kutthroats. I made sure to cast my vote(s) for K. Rool and to give detailed explanations why I wanted him in. Of course, the thing we got was the Mii kostume, initially disappointing yes it was, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Ultimate.

After DLC for Smash 4, I did take a hiatus from the boards, not knowing when the next Smash would be announced. I honestly missed interacting with you guys during that time. March arrived and so did a new Smash title. I thought to myself here we go again. I tried to keep my expectations low so any disappointments wouldn't sting so much. I stayed on the sidelines until E3 2018. Watching that Direct presentation, rekindled my hope again, especially Ridley's long awaited confirmation. The exact point where I knew, that without a doubt, K. Rool would be in the game was Ridley getting in. Of course Ridley is a komrade in arms with K. Rool during Smash 4 and Ultimate speculation. I was so hyped after seeing one of my most requested characters in Ridley finally get his deserved recognition that I had to come back to Smashboards and you guys.

I was at work at the time of K. Rool's konfirmation and I wish I would have first watched the trailer in a different place so I could shout and jump for joy. But I had to keep my hype and excitement contained. Every time I looked at my phone looking at the reaction posts here in this thread and seeing K. Rool's design for this game made me giddy. Though my co-workers and my boss were wondering why I was smiling cheek to cheek and they had no idea.

I love what Sakurai and the team did for K. Rool. They put his main abilities from his iconic boss fights and put them to great use. The final smash for K. Rool couldn't have been anymore fitting for the Kroc and seeing him laugh manically in his throne room blasting DK Isles made me super hyped. The thing that surprised me was the way K. Rool runs and I feel it's kinda fitting for him.
First off, I want to thank you BKupa666 BKupa666 for being our Kaptain of the Kutthroats. You definitely deserved to have your wish of having K. Rool in Smash come true. We couldn't have done it without you. I also want to thank every Kutthroat that are part of this wonderful journey. You guys and gals made me feel welcome within the K. Rool fanbase. And because of all of you, I gained a new appreciation for K. Rool and the Donkey Kong Country series as a whole. The One of Us initiation posts, everything. The DK series won on that day and K. Rool's future is brighter than ever after 10 years of no light in sight. I really hope Dixie gets in too and then that would complete the main core of the Donkey Kong Country series. We made that critical difference during the ballot that paid off in grand fashion.

Now the hype train after Ridley and K. Rool's inclusion has now reached Ludicrous Speed.

I look forward to the day Ultimate releases and get that first chance to play as K. Rool. It will be great.
Took awhile to type this post whew

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I've never been prouder to be a part of a gaming community... this really is incredible... I mean we all accomplished something big and this SHOULD be talked about because its a fantastic example of change a community can make when they work together in or outside of gaming....

Looking at the Mii costume and the street sign in Odyssey is so different now because we know it all came from the realization that K. Rool was a beloved character. Odyssey even more so because that's agknowledgment from NoJ and the Mario team. Things are comin up K. Rool!

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
It's really heartening to me to hear that Retro was so gung-ho to put K. Rool in DKCTF for Switch... Maybe that means they had some art and a model of his ready to go due to an in-progress project and it wouldn't have been much work?

A Kroc can hope.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
In celebration, here is my top Rare main game platformers ranking: (I have yet to play Conker, should I?)

6: Banjo Tooie
5: Donkey Kong Country 2
4: Donkey Kong Country 3
3: Banjo Kazooie
2: Donkey Kong 64
1: Donkey Kong Country

(Note I love all of those)

Now for the spin off handheld games:

5: Banjo Pilot (I love it, but I prefer platforming games to racing ones)
4: DK Land 2
3: Banjo: Grunty's Revenge
2: DK Land 3
1: DK Land (My favorite game)

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen this image, it's really hilarious and we need more variations of it

K. Rool konfirmed liking shredded wheat

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Have you guys seen this image, it's really hilarious and we need more variations of it

K. Rool konfirmed liking shredded wheat
Look at this tasty treat!
This is my shredded wheat!
Nothing in this aisle interests me nooooooooow!

Sorry that was unfathomably dumb, but I didn't want to delet. Also, disappointed the person who shopped this didn't pick a stock grocery basket with bananas in it.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Got to love how the new track is getting so much love and K. Rool is a focus of attention now.

Makes up for so many years of waiting for him (and Ridley for that matter too...).

:bowser:.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
A week since the Dream came True...
Are you all still processing this or has it sunk in finally?

Top Bottom