• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
This may be a long shot, but if Gangplank Galleon ever does become a stage in the future, I think it'd be a nice feature for the stage to have a couple of background alts based on the levels Rattle Battle from DKC2 and Lightning Lookout from DKC3 on top of already having the original Gangplank Galleon background as default. Perhaps it could even be like how the background from the Animal Crossing stages change depending on the time of day.
I'm not clear on how you're picturing the level.

What, is it a GIGANTIC pirate ship with over a massive amount floor space? Because as far as I know Rattle Battle takes place on an entirely different ship and I'm not entirely sure how it would be a separate background, unless you just mean making the background ocean and sky green?

And by DKC3's Lightning Lookout, do you mean you sail past the original level? Or do you mean it just begins storming with lightning being a dangerous obstacle to avoid?

I'm not sure if Gangplank Galleon would be the best level to include, especially considering we already have Wind Waker's pirate ship level. Unless you want it to be one of those gigantic battleground stages like Gaur Plain/Palutena's Temple/Hyrule Temple. Even still, the theme of the level is a bit stale since Wind Waker's pirate ship already uses it.

I think a much better level for K. Rool would be based on Krazy Kremland or the DKC2 Lost World, or perhaps the Flying Kroc.

Krazy Kremland would potentially be the most fun because there is yet to be a level that takes place in a carnival with fireworks in the background.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I said this before somewhere else but the Minecart stage from DKC definitely needs to be a stage in Smash.

Imagine everyone riding on minecarts fighting while the minecarts are in motion and all the hazards in the stage.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I'm not clear on how you're picturing the level.

What, is it a GIGANTIC pirate ship with over a massive amount floor space? Because as far as I know Rattle Battle takes place on an entirely different ship and I'm not entirely sure how it would be a separate background, unless you just mean making the background ocean and sky green?

And by DKC3's Lightning Lookout, do you mean you sail past the original level? Or do you mean it just begins storming with lightning being a dangerous obstacle to avoid?

I'm not sure if Gangplank Galleon would be the best level to include, especially considering we already have Wind Waker's pirate ship level. Unless you want it to be one of those gigantic battleground stages like Gaur Plain/Palutena's Temple/Hyrule Temple. Even still, the theme of the level is a bit stale since Wind Waker's pirate ship already uses it.

I think a much better level for K. Rool would be based on Krazy Kremland or the DKC2 Lost World, or perhaps the Flying Kroc.

Krazy Kremland would potentially be the most fun because there is yet to be a level that takes place in a carnival with fireworks in the background.
Just the sky and ocean changing color and the lightning would only be apart of the background. Like I said, it'd be really similar to the Animal Crossing stages since they have 3 different time settings for the background (day, evening, and night).

I definitely like the idea of having Krazy Kremland as a possible stage if we were to not get Gangplank Galleon. Target Terror and Rickety Race are 2 of some of my favorite levels from the entire DKC trilogy for how much different the levels are compared to the others, how extremely visually appealing they are, the catchiness of Disco Train, and even looking at how much fun Diddy and Dixie are having during the middle of all the craziness that's going on.

Playing through the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy makes me think just how amazing a remastered/rebooted and modern take on the original DKC trilogy would look. N Sane is just so well done!

Would prefer a new entry in the series altogether, but I would not be against DKC getting the Crash treatment.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Playing through the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy makes me think just how amazing a remastered/rebooted and modern take on the original DKC trilogy would look. N Sane is just so well done!

Would prefer a new entry in the series altogether, but I would not be against DKC getting the Crash treatment.
That'd bring things full-circle quite nicely, since Donkey Kong Country was an influence on the original Crash Bandicoot. :laugh:

Like yourself, I'd also prefer something new, but if they created a pack of modern remasters of the original DKC trilogy in that vein, I'd buy it without hesitation.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Oh wow. Seeing this was so satisfying dude. It gave me a huge rush of nostalgia and now I'm seeing one of my most vivid childhood memories reimagined in 3D.
Also it made me realize something; Zingers were completely absent in DKCR and TF.
Pretty much every original DKC enemy was, even the Necky's.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This might be of interest to you guys: YouTubers Shesez (of Boundary Break), Beta64 (of Beta64), and A+Start (of Low Poly) have collaborated on a series of three videos crossing over their respective YouTube series. They collectively cover a collection of off-camera elements, glitches, and pre-release materials found across Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

The three videos have been compiled into an official playlist here, and they're well worth watching if you enjoy this sort of technology-related trivia.

Regarding one tiny bit of content from one of the videos, Super Nintendo Chalmers Super Nintendo Chalmers might be amused to hear that it turns out that Donkey Kong Country Returns uses some rendering techniques that are shared with Crash Bandicoot. ;)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A belated Merry Christmas and preemptive Happy New Year to all!

I've filled in a new OP for this thread after about nine months of the Baby K. Rool placeholder. It has links to all the old K. Rool threads, plus what I think is a pretty honest look at where things stand for the Kutthroats, with new game speculation and Nintendo as a whole.

Let's see if it grips you like the grab Kaptain has on Diddy in this modding sneak-peek.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A belated Merry Christmas and preemptive Happy New Year to all!
A belated Merry Christmas to you, too - I hope it went well! And a pre-emptive Happy New Year to you, as well. :laugh:

I've filled in a new OP for this thread after about nine months of the Baby K. Rool placeholder. It has links to all the old K. Rool threads, plus what I think is a pretty honest look at where things stand for the Kutthroats, with new game speculation and Nintendo as a whole.
I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading the updated post, and feel that it's got a realistic outlook. I think that folks sometimes forget that internet communities that only house a tiny fraction of a series' fanbase (or even a tiny fraction of any individual game's sales) don't actually have the sway that some may come to think that they have.

I also agree that that doesn't take away from the fun that we have here, at all. (I don't know how it is for others, but I've always taken this approach - it's about fun and shared experiences of beloved games first.)

Let's see if it grips you like the grab Kaptain has on Diddy in this modding sneak-peek.

That outfit looks great! :grin:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Though I don't think it's relevant to K. Rool's chances and to Switch speculation in general, I thought that today's Direct was a decent one to be a DK fan in. Tropical Freeze was a game I was really hoping got ported over from the Wii U as I never got to play it, and having DK in Mario x Rabbids is much more exciting than the Rosalina/Wario/Rayman I was expecting.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Things aren't nearly as active around here after how disappointing K. Rool's exclusion was last time. I mean seriously, how did K. Rool not manage to make his way through the gigantic crocodile shaped hole in the roster? I haven't been active at all on Smashboards really, mostly having stuck my Kremling speculation to the Skype group. We're making a move to Discord now, so this seems like the ideal time to pick up some new blood. Any supporters for K. Rool are more than welcome.

https://discord.gg/9DdkjsB

If nothing else, Tropical Freeze on Switch will improve the fantastic game's sales so people can stop pretending that game wasn't relevant.

D

Deleted member

Things aren't nearly as active around here after how disappointing K. Rool's exclusion was last time. I mean seriously, how did K. Rool not manage to make his way through the gigantic crocodile shaped hole in the roster? I haven't been active at all on Smashboards really, mostly having stuck my Kremling speculation to the Skype group. We're making a move to Discord now, so this seems like the ideal time to pick up some new blood. Any supporters for K. Rool are more than welcome.

If nothing else, Tropical Freeze on Switch will improve the fantastic game's sales so people can stop pretending that game wasn't relevant.
I was one of the people on the Skype chat (in fact I made it) and I endorsed the idea. Discord has a cleaner interface than Skype and we can separate discussions into different channels. If you’re a K. Rool fan, I would recommend joining. Tell fellow K. Rool supporters on Twitter as well.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

I was one of the people on the Skype chat (in fact I made it) and I endorsed the idea. Discord has a cleaner interface than Skype and we can separate discussions into different channels. If you’re a K. Rool fan, I would recommend joining. Tell fellow K. Rool supporters on Twitter as well.
I'm not interested in using Discord myself, so I won't be dropping in, but I wish you guys the very best of luck with it. :bee:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though I don't think it's relevant to K. Rool's chances and to Switch speculation in general, I thought that today's Direct was a decent one to be a DK fan in. Tropical Freeze was a game I was really hoping got ported over from the Wii U as I never got to play it, and having DK in Mario x Rabbids is much more exciting than the Rosalina/Wario/Rayman I was expecting.
One wrinkle that might help, (and I'm not talking about Cranky's late wife) is that the Direct called Tropical Freeze Donkey Kong's debut on the Switch. May be hinting at a new game, may be nothing.

Something to think about.

D

Deleted member

One wrinkle that might help, (and I'm not talking about Cranky's late wife) is that the Direct called Tropical Freeze Donkey Kong's debut on the Switch. May be hinting at a new game, may be nothing.

Something to think about.
I don't think it means anything. It could theoretically mean one game and that's it.

That said, I see a new game happening on the Switch eventually. Tropical Freeze is going to sell at least two million copies.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I just saw a rather neat DK-related article on GoNintendo;

Full list of Donkey Kong Country Returns boss names revealed after data mining

For whatever reason, Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't feature names for the bosses you tackle in the game. A few of the names were found out due to Smash Bros. Wii U trophies, but we still didn't have full info on the boss lineup. Now, thanks to some recent data-mining, we have the complete list of names for the boss baddies.

Tiki Tong (leader)
Kalimba
Maraca Gang
Gong-Oh
Banjo Bottom
Wacky Pipes
Xylobone
Cordian

I wonder why they didn't bother to make mention of these boss names in the game. I guess they figured people would be more focused on the lack of King K. Rool! Thanks to TheBooDestroyer for the heads up!

Source: Link
I did chuckle at that last paragraph. :laugh:

That said, I think that not publishing all of the names of the Tiki Tak Tribe probably hurt those characters a bit - they're usually (quite fairly, I think) criticised for not being as memorable as K. Rool and the Kremlings, but then they went and left out something that had clearly been created to give them more of an identity. I wonder why?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Jakks Pacific (company who make World of Nintendo figures and plushes) just tweeted this yesterday:

It might be worth responding to the tweet asking for K.Rool figures and K.Rool plushes.

They also posted this on their Facebook account, so if you don't use twitter, try on there.

If you don't ask, you don't get. It won't hurt to try.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Things aren't nearly as active around here after how disappointing K. Rool's exclusion was last time.
Give it time. The main reason that activity is down is that many people are not down to speculate about a game that is not announced yet. Trust me at E3 if they announce it the activity will skyrocket again. Also this thread is still decently large despite the slowness of speculation right now, which does help show our dedication.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I could see the success of TF translating to a new DKCR game.

Hopefully one with K. Rool as the main baddie.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm looking forward to Tropical Freeze on the Switch. I'm not sure what exactly the release means for K. Rool, if anything, but it's still nice to see DK getting some love.

Hopefully its success convinces Nintendo to include another DK character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It has always been noted that the Snowmads use a very similar attack pattern as the Kremlings did. So Tropical Freeze being ported could mean that it's engine can be used again to build up a new DKCR game. At the very least we now know that Retro's "secret project" isn't probably a Donkey Kong game. But I predict that the Switch is gonna live a whole lot longer than the Wii U did, so we might still get a DKC game in a year or 2, maybe 3. It's better than nothing at least.

Also, am definitely gonna get a Switch now, just for Tropical Freeze alone. Am still secretly hoping on a mode where you can pick your own leading Kong, and a helper of choice. That way, am gonna pick Diddy and Dixie all the way through. But I honestly doubt that's ever gonna happen in TF, maybe a new game but not TF.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Here is the world's oddest DKC reference.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even know why this thread is on the second page. It shouldn't be. Anyway, who is expecting King K.Rool to be a part of the Donkey Kong DLC of Mario x Rabbids? I think there's quite some chance of Kremlings appearing, or Rabbids dressing as them, or K.Rool. King K.Rabbid would be a cool thing to see, even if I'd rather see the real Kremling King. Hopefully Diddy and Dixie will also join the fray togheter with DK.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't even know why this thread is on the second page. It shouldn't be. Anyway, who is expecting King K.Rool to be a part of the Donkey Kong DLC of Mario x Rabbids? I think there's quite some chance of Kremlings appearing, or Rabbids dressing as them, or K.Rool. King K.Rabbid would be a cool thing to see, even if I'd rather see the real Kremling King. Hopefully Diddy and Dixie will also join the fray togheter with DK.
I wouldn't expect too much, personally, but I do love the idea of Rabbids dressed as Kremlings, because that'd be hilarious. :laugh:

the main reason that this thread isnt active besides no new dk news is because most of us went to the k.rool discord server, its alot easeir to talk to each other without having to make a bunch of posts and we dont have to worry about breaking rules here on smashboards, if more people want to join i can leave a link to the discord server

Welshy91

Smash Ace
the main reason that this thread isnt active besides no new dk news is because most of us went to the k.rool discord server, its alot easeir to talk to each other without having to make a bunch of posts and we dont have to worry about breaking rules here on smashboards, if more people want to join i can leave a link to the discord server
Link plz

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So you guys post that much over there? Not that am against it, but the Kuttroath community on Smashboards was one of THE BIGGEST signs of support for King K.Rool during Smash 4's whole speculation era. Am not sure if a Discord Server is gonna do the same.

Anyone remember the times we had theories that Nintendo employees where heavily monitoring our last thread? Those where good times. Wish we can have similar succes this time around, and actually get King K.Rool involved in the roster, or any other DK(C) game.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So you guys post that much over there? Not that am against it, but the Kuttroath community on Smashboards was one of THE BIGGEST signs of support for King K.Rool during Smash 4's whole speculation era. Am not sure if a Discord Server is gonna do the same.
I'm not against it either, though it's not something that I'll ever use, personally.

I'd say that it's a pity, but on the other hand, I don't blame people for preferring to go with a different way of doing things.

Last edited:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I'm not against it either, though it's not something that I'll ever use, personally.

I'd say that it's a pity, but on the other hand, I don't blame people for preferring to go with a different way of doing things.
Gosh darn wippersnappers and their fancy pancy communication sites or something. Amirite lads.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Once more I throw in my whole hearted support for the King! Also I’m very much looking forward to a funky time with TF on the switch haha SUCH a good game I don’t mind paying full retail price on it again! I just hope they add a little more to it than Funky

we are not giving up on this thread, we just went to discord to talk in an easier manner, once new smash news comes around we will be coming back......well most of us......a few people got turned off of smashboards from the hate awhile back and i dont blame them.

but we do not see ourselves as above or seperate from this thread, we are both one and the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom