• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Grolem11

Smash Rookie
haha, I didn't mean literally unknown. I meant that the other new comer listed has not been named. It's a mystery

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
The good thing we need to remember is that in all likelihood K. Rool will appear in the next DK game, Smash or not.

You have to consider the fact that all the hubub over K. Rool within the community has been normalized. But if you take a step back, if you think about how this all looks to a Nintendo developer or an intermediary outreach looking in, there is something eyebrow raising about all of this. There is a lot of talk, a lot of speculation, a lot of demand for a character that your company hasn't used in a long time. This character is so demanded that he can go to bat with even the guest characters from other companies. He is an even bigger fish when you look at him in relation to other DK characters. How many other DK characters have hogged the community spotlight like K. Rool? None come close. There are younger people in this thread that have never even played the original DKCs that now support King K. Rool after hearing all the talk about him. The community in a way has already revived K. Rool. Wanting this dead, "replaced" character is just a thing the community accepts as ordinary. "Oh yeah, K. Rool, that thing a lot of people want".

I think that's quite an achievement!

I think all of that is very eyecatching and I think it has already been flagged by Nintendo. Sakurai's team themselves already hinted at this by giving us the first acknowledgment of the character during the Smash Ballot.

We may have to wait a little bit to see the results in the DK franchise. Development takes time. But I am highly confident that K. Rool and the Kremlings will be revived in the next DK game, regardless of what we see in Smash Ultimate. We just gotta keep the hype going!
Oh, I don't doubt in the slightest that we got Nintendo and Sakurai's attentions. I think this wait to bring K. Rool back into the spotlight.... something's being cooked up. Like you said, either in Smash Ultimate or his return to his rightful place as DK's main villain, a role he has played so well he even puts (IMO) Bowser to shame! (in a sense, I believe K. Rool is much more credible as a bad guy than even Bowser, who waves towards neutral at times lately). I can imagine K. Rool's return: he's been beaten heavily by the Kongs in the past, now he's back. His hiatus was used to train and better himself. To push his abilities and strength beyond their limits. Now he offers an even more badass and legit threat to the Kongs!

Smash Ultimate would just be the cherry on the sundae. The little nudge he could use.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Onr thing I will say about the 11 newcomer leak thats spreading is that a majority of those characters are Mii costumes and it would be an interesting turn out if so many Mii costumes became characters.... would look like Sakurai put them right in front of our faces during the ballot

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Not sure if you guys have posted this yet, but there is talk of a nintendo Direct this month with 2 new character revelas, one being Simon Belmont, and the other is unkown. https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-nintendo-direct-in-july-2018-details-may-have-leaked-on-4chan/
i believe we've discussed it before, but i dont think it's real

- from my knowledge, nobody has predicted exact dates for directs of any kind

- the new yoshi game isnt made of wool, so why would it be called woolly world 2?

- i don't think a game just recently announced (warioware) for one console, would immediately get a surprise announcement about being on another console

- star fox racing, in my opinion i dont think would be something nintendo would do

- "An announcement about a major AAA port" is weirdly vague despite all this info we're presented

the smash stuff sounds nice, and im all for simon belmont, but my signs go to this being fake unfortunately

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
This is going to sound kind of stupid, but let's put it this way:
Imagine two humans. Both are tasked to draw as many shapes as they can under 10 minutes and they draw at the same speed. However, one of them is told to draw squares while the other is told to draw octagons. Who is going to have more results in 10 minutes? Of course, it's not as simple here, but without knowing what and when was finished, can we really say anything for sure? Besides, Brawl already had some weird stuff like Wolf. For all we know, post-Brawl games just...take their time to finish stuff? They're not going to tell the truth if it's going to hurt them of course, so, we'll never know.
As for the engine, do we know for sure that's it's the Wii U engine? And I mean actual confirmation, not that it looks the same.

Yes, Sakurai is using the same engine, just tweaked. He’s even using the same team according to part 2

If this is the case, then your analogy doesn’t really work, since Brawl had a fully new engine to build from the ground up, so it would have taken them more time.

Now, I’m not trying to be greedy, I don’t exactly want another Subspace, and I feel the character roster of new comers should be less due to the returning veterans, but can you blame me for expecting more! Give us a more defined Adventure Mode or Smash Run at least, and if not, I do expect quite a few new characters. Maybe that’s just me though

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly 11-13 newcomers + echoes and counting Riddles and Inkling sounds perfect. Throw in a Melee-style adventure mode and Smash Run and this would absolutely be the perfect Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I always knew that Geno is one of the most requested characters since Brawl, but Ashley? I never knew she was so popular... Or this has been recent since she wasn't shown as an AT yet? People are speculating she might be revealed as playable because of that?
Yep she's #8 in japans most wanted newcomers according to source gaming research

Not sure if you guys have posted this yet, but there is talk of a nintendo Direct this month with 2 new character revelas, one being Simon Belmont, and the other is unkown. https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-nintendo-direct-in-july-2018-details-may-have-leaked-on-4chan/
I should tell you this there was also something on k rool being a assist trophy on that but since it's not there I'm assuming that was just another user trolling

But likely fake either way since date leaks are next to never correct

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
what if k rool appeared as a character or cameo in super Mario party?
It'd be better than nothing, heh. I get so annoyed thinking about how good the roster for Sluggers was when compared to stuff like Mario Kart and Mario Party. I mean, they actually went out of their way to remove Diddy Kong from MK8, to instead have baby Daisy and baby Rosalina. Someone over at Nintendo really hates DKC...

roster.jpg

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think the concept of echos is a little weird. Especially since now that there would be more time to develop characters with DLC.
Why would they have the need to make clone or echo characters when they could just take a bit more time to change a few things here and there to at least give them semi-clone status. It shouldn't be that more difficult and time-consuming.. and would enrich the roster much more than "basically a same character with different hitbox properties".

I would assume we'd get a few more echos if they really went out of their way to name and show them like that. So they want to save time while including more characters (that people want) to hopefully please more fans.

We already have 3 newcomers. 1 echo and 2 original.
I could see us getting about 10 characters overall. Sakurai did say that we shouldn't expect too many newcomers this time around, or at least that he hopes that.
He probably wouldn't say that if there would just be a little less newcomers than usual, so it's likely going to be quite a bit less, even with the echos(?)..

If we get about 3 more echos and about 3 non-echo newcomers that could already be it. Doesn't sound much though and if that's the case Dixie (or K. Rool) would likely not make it so the newcomer-roster isn't filled with DK characters. We'd likely get more characters through DLC again, but who knows who they'll choose for that.

It's a kinda "pessimistic" view on this when comparing it to what is generally expected I guess.

But 6 more characters is at least something and if Vergeben is right (at minimum 6 more and one of them is Simon Belmont) then that's already more than what I thought after Sakurai said he hopes we don't expect too many.

Btw, all this leak talk... there are too many guys. And a lot of them with "riddle stuff" make it pretty obvious that it's made from fans tbh. Because they know we know what all these things mean. I wouldn't look into leaks much except for possibly Vergeben, unless they are suuper weird (things that no one thought of before) or presented in a way that somehow makes them believable (so credible leakers or leaks that already have some stuff from it confirmed, or possibly good images/videos).

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
With how talked-about K. Rool is, I wouldn't be too surprised if he and his cronies start showing up in more out-there stuff, but only after a return to form in the next Donkey Kong game and/or Smash. Maybe have the Kremlings mixed in among the crowds in spinoff stadiums for a while, like what they did with Piantas and Nokis for a few years after Sunshine.
Having K. Rool playable in Mario Kart would be great, actually, maybe they could finally use his Diddy Kong Pilot outfit as a way to avoid having his massive cape billowing behind him. He'd fit right in on the airship kart too. Now that's a pipe dream.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If he does get it, he had better have all his wacky outfits, especially the kaptain outfit
I can’t see a situation where he gets in without his Kaptain outfit given how iconic it is, but *can* see a situation where it’s his only alt + recolors.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I can’t see a situation where he gets in without his Kaptain outfit given how iconic it is, but *can* see a situation where it’s his only alt + recolors.
Unfortunately I can.... it's never been represented in Smash aside from a trophy mention which was wrong... there's never been any trophy's of Kaptain K. Rool himself nor any other K. Rool alter egos. Then again the most K. Rool and Kremling representation we got in Smash was in Brawl.. which was all Barrel Blast stuff and maybe if Sakurai is set on K. Rools classic representation then we will get a Captain alt.

Imagine if Kaptain K. Rool was his default and his entire kit was based around the blunderbuss and his DK 2 boss fight.. that would be unexpected.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I want to agree with the people saying that, even if they don't add K. Rool to Smash, Nintendo will still bring him back to the mainline DK series and Mario spin-off games because they finally realize how popular he is, but I'm not sure it's fair for us to assume that. We obviously caught their attention with the ballot, as evidenced by the Mii costume, but in the almost three years since then, they really haven't thrown us any bones except for K. Rool Street in Super Mario Odyssey. Neither K. Rool nor the Kremlings made any appearance at all in Mario Party: Star Rush, Mario Sports Super Stars, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Party: The Top 100, the DKC: Tropical Freeze port, Mario Tennis Aces, or, perhaps most concerning, the Mario & Rabbids DK Adventure DLC. And even though we got K. Rool Street in Super Mario Odyssey (and even though I was unabashedly excited when I saw it), that was only one reference amid a sprawling city of references to other DKC characters who haven't appeared in years, several of whom (the animal buddies) did appear in the Mario & Rabbids DLC.

At this point, while I would be heartbroken to see K. Rool as an assist trophy instead of a playable character, I think I would rather have that than have him not appear at all. Adding him as an AT would suggest to me that, even though they decided to go in another direction with playable characters (for whatever reason), they had at least heard the fan outcry for K. Rool and wanted to acknowledge it in some way. Failing to add him as either a fighter or an AT would suggest to me that, almost three years after the ballot ended, Nintendo still doesn't realize how popular he is (or, worse, they do realize it and refuse to bring him back anyway). So if he doesn't make it into Smash in some capacity, I'm not sure we can count on Nintendo bringing him back any time soon.

...but that's only if he doesn't make it into Smash. I still think this is the best chance he's ever had to get in, and if he does get in, then I think that the floodgates will open, and we'll be seeing a whole lot more of him in the future. (And all will be right with the world.)

Luigi player

Smash Master
So, when I read someone in here wanted to draw a K Rool image I actually wanted to do one myself to compare the Paon and Rare designs (I've been wanting to do this since Smash4 speculation). Of course it would be a sprite from me, though.

I wanted to know what exactly the problem is with Paon K. Rool..
Personally I like everything more from the Rare design, but there are some things that really make him "not look like K. Rool" more than others. I've noticed it's mostly the wide face and crown that makes him look less like himself (not having a tail also makes me pretty mad though).

So while drawing I really noticed his face looking like a frog lol. It's just really really wide.
In the sprite I mostly changed the face to look more like his old one (other stuff like a golden belly and such was too much work for now).

Here are the results/images:

KingKRool_comparePaonRare.gif

I've included the first two (from the left) just to show how the face and stuff looked like before. The third one is the finished Paon design and the fourth one is with the Rare head (with big crown) and a tail.

For the head I really mostly just changed the eyes (pushed them together) and fixed the "wide" mouth. Other smaller changes include the theeth and the nose.
It's that easy to fix K. Rool.. well, since I grew up with the Rare design it's his true design to me. The new one doesn't look that much like K. Rool anymore. Although there are some models that look decent at least (like the one from Mario Super Sluggers).

And another thing I noticed about the newer K. Rool models:
I really dislike the Brawl trophy of K. Rool, but in Smash4 his trophy looks better to me. More scales, less round and the face looks a little more like Rare as well (though it could just be the angle of the images on the internet..). If K. Rool ended up looking like that trophy I could live with that, even if the small crown and no tail would hunt me. But at least he mostly looks like "K. Rool". And if he will really be playable he'd obviously look even better (all playable characters look better than non-playable ones/trophies).

Another thing I've been thinking about: maybe it was good that K. Rool hasn't been used too much lately. If Sakurai really uses (mostly) his Rare design it could easily influence his design when he appears in DK games again. :x

Last edited:

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
Kaptain K. Rool not being an alt costume would be odd, but not completely unexpected. There are plenty of missed opportunities like these, which is unfortunate.

Yes, Sakurai is using the same engine, just tweaked. He’s even using the same team according to part 2

If this is the case, then your analogy doesn’t really work, since Brawl had a fully new engine to build from the ground up, so it would have taken them more time.

Now, I’m not trying to be greedy, I don’t exactly want another Subspace, and I feel the character roster of new comers should be less due to the returning veterans, but can you blame me for expecting more! Give us a more defined Adventure Mode or Smash Run at least, and if not, I do expect quite a few new characters. Maybe that’s just me though
...Huh. Whaddya know.

Melee's engine was done in 6 months or less and people working on that kind of stuff are not the same guys who make items, characters, stages and models for all of that.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want that stuff too! I wouldn't even care if we had only 3 newcomers if it means we get proper single player content. But there are a lot of things to consider when comparing games on very different consoles.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Heads up, there's another 'leak' gaining traction. Spoiler alert: King's not on it.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I could see Kaptain not being an alt if they chose to incorporate his Krown into his moveset, like if they gave him the Krown boomerang from DKC1, had him use a few headbutts where the Krown acts as a sweetspot, or have him take off his crown and whack people with it. I suppose a few of these could be mitigated by having his materialize the Krown out of nowhere if he has the Kaptain alt though. Either way it would be a shame if the Kaptain Kostume doesn't make an appearance.
Heads up, there's another 'leak' gaining traction. Spoiler alert: King's not on it.
Anything that makes this leak more noteworthy than the many, many, others? Honestly, the number of people out there making fake leaks and spreading them around to get attention and/or rile people up are kind of irritating me.

Last edited:

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
Hey folks! Figured I would stop lurking and dust off the account to throw myself back in for support of my most wanted by far.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I hate 4chan so much. A new "leak" popped up with K. Rool as a character.

Can these fake hopes and dreams just stop? :(

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, what's also notable about the K. Rool Mii costume is that it is the only Mii costume of a character that is technically a mix between two designs, being based off K. Rool rare design with a bit of Paon influence since the costume has a blue jewel instead of the green one Rare K. Rool has. No other costume has this distinction.
In addition to the observation I made some time ago, the golden zig zag pattern near the bottom of K. Rool's cape for the Mii costume is more squiggly in comparison to both of K. Rool's known designs. Also, the cape on the Mii costume covers more of his shoulders, similar to K. Rool's Paon design.

Just something interesting to note.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have a question for BKupa666 BKupa666 or anyone else on this thread.

Is there a support list for K. Rool? Like, a list of people who have been graced with "One of Us" declared they support K. Rool?

Just asking.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

KMDP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
ZTurtle ZTurtle PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

Supposedly someone sent the image in the picture to a Japanese streamer who's friend knows inside info and he circled the characters who are in the game. Amaterasu? Yeah right.

Top Bottom